Is Fox Sports dropping all Big 12 Basketball coverage?

2,983 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by sahen
Michibear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
http://www.big12sports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=10410&ATCLID=211799146

Per this article, ESPN is moving a lot of coverage onto their new ESPN+ service. One quote in particular stood out in the press release:

"
  • An exclusive regular-season football game each season from each participating school, as well as any spring football games;
  • All regular season and exhibition men's basketball games not distributed on ESPN's linear networks (expected to be upwards of 75 games per year);
  • Women's basketball and other conference sports such as volleyball, soccer, wrestling, softball, baseball and more;
  • Select Big 12 Conference championship events and original content."

Kinda sucks that I now have to subscribe to one more service...
jdrs
So ESPN has found another way to get more $$ out of us? Ugh.
EvilTroyAndAbed
Michibear said:

Porteroso
EvilTroyAndAbed said:

Michibear said:

What a disgusting misuse of that picture. Basketball is a first world game, and I wholly recommend that you not watch it anymore, because obviously you want to be giving all your money towards third world countries, which I totally support.

Go you! Please, stop supporting Baylor, which charges what now? How many tens of thousands per year for tuition? Essentially segregating the Baylor student population, so I get it, you're super altruistic.

Actually you're not, you're an idiot. This is all about you supporting ESPN, and all about the monetization of sports. If you gave 2 poops about the underprivileged, you'd be busy helping them, not helping ESPN.

One day, very soon, a bunch of idiots are going to be looking around going "wait, I thought Big 12 players wanted to not be paid any money at all, to preserve the integrity of the sport????" What stupid sheep we have, getting degrees from Baylor.

Did you get a degree from Baylor? Please, let's take that back from you.
rudylaw
We should all be pissed about this. This stupid trend of cable channels making you pay extra for more content we've always had for one price is obscene. Thanks to FX for starting this **** a few years ago.
xiledinok
ESPN owns college sports. Our former football regime and athletic director didn't understand it.
It's why they are human garbage in mainstream society. The broadcaster was screwed with by those losers and the broadcaster paid them back.
twd74
xiledinok said:

ESPN owns college sports. Our former football regime and athletic director didn't understand it.
It's why they are human garbage in mainstream society. The broadcaster was screwed with by those losers and the broadcaster paid them back.
In all things, blame the Canadian.
CorsicanaBear
Baylor sports is currently a wholly owned subsidiary of ESPN/Nike/IMG. We are just one SKU in their product list. We are far from alone in this, but do not fool yourself into thinking that anything the sports administration does is designed to please or benefit the alumni/fans. It's done for the benefit of ESPN/Nike/IMG.
Illigitimus non carborundum
Backporch
Porteroso said:

EvilTroyAndAbed said:

Michibear said:

What a disgusting misuse of that picture. Basketball is a first world game, and I wholly recommend that you not watch it anymore, because obviously you want to be giving all your money towards third world countries, which I totally support.

Go you! Please, stop supporting Baylor, which charges what now? How many tens of thousands per year for tuition? Essentially segregating the Baylor student population, so I get it, you're super altruistic.

Actually you're not, you're an idiot. This is all about you supporting ESPN, and all about the monetization of sports. If you gave 2 poops about the underprivileged, you'd be busy helping them, not helping ESPN.

One day, very soon, a bunch of idiots are going to be looking around going "wait, I thought Big 12 players wanted to not be paid any money at all, to preserve the integrity of the sport????" What stupid sheep we have, getting degrees from Baylor.

Did you get a degree from Baylor? Please, let's take that back from you.
Over a meme?

Good Lord Francis!
baylorrific
Television networks are in the business of making money, so if ESPN believes it can make more $ by putting it on a different outlet that requires customers to pay for its use, then they should do that. And each customer can decide if the additional cost is worth it.

I don't understand why folks should be upset about this. We don't have a constitutional right to have access to television programming for a capped price.
DanaDane
No more basketball on FSSW would be a godsend. The Mavs and Stars pre-empt a substantial number of those games anyway, pushing them off to some alternate Fox channel that many cable networks in Texas don't carry.
sahen
baylorrific said:

Television networks are in the business of making money, so if ESPN believes it can make more $ by putting it on a different outlet that requires customers to pay for its use, then they should do that. And each customer can decide if the additional cost is worth it.

I don't understand why folks should be upset about this. We don't have a constitutional right to have access to television programming for a capped price.
That's one way to look at it.

Maybe, the aggravated folks are thinking I currently pay X dollars for my TV package that includes all these games. Now, I still am going to pay X dollars for my TV package and they are not going to include these games but make me pay even more money for it.

I would be more on board with you if the cable/satellite/internet/etc services said well now that you are getting less content we will reduce your bill. Then you could use that money to pay for the additional content that you have lost. But we all know that is not what is happening here.
sahen
DanaDane said:

No more basketball on FSSW would be a godsend. The Mavs and Stars pre-empt a substantial number of those games anyway, pushing them off to some alternate Fox channel that many cable networks in Texas don't carry.
On board 100%..........

I mean instead of logging into the FSSW app on your TV/Mobile/Computer and watching the game that way which was included in your cable package you now have the convenience of logging into the ESPN+ app from your TV/Mobile/Computer and watching the game on the service you have to pay the extra $4.99 a month for! Awesome!

Come on people, if you can't see how this is worse for the consumer I don't know what else to tell you. It is what it is and you will have to pay to see the Bears play, but in the end it is going to cost you more money.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.