Michigan State Men's Basketball gang rape

2,339 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Baylor3216
Alfred Anchorsen
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://www.goodmorningamerica.com/news/story/michigan-state-student-alleges-traumatic-gang-rape-basketball-62331180
Illinois Bear
Nothing to see here. Move along.
bubbadog
I read about this story earlier in the week. I hope it gets traction and think it might.

If the allegation is true, then what happened at MSU reflects the kind of culture of unaccountability for athletes that the media accused Baylor of allowing (when I think the reality at Baylor was different -- more of a university-wide failure to treat sexual assaults as something real than, in the end, about purely letting athletes get away with anything).

Alleged victim was a female student studying to be a sportswriter. She and a friend went to a nightspot where they saw some of the MSU basketball players. Friend convinces the girl to go talk to them, because she's a fan and knows all of their stats from that season. Both of the women already have had a couple of drinks. Girl goes and talks to the players about basketball, and they invite her back to someone's apartment where there's a celebration party for the team. She goes and then allegedly several of the players take turns raping her.

She goes home. Friends notice change in behavior. She waits a few days before going to school counselor. She tells the counselor who was involved (she has never made the names public), and the counselor tells her she is asking for trouble if she accuses star basketball players of raping her.

This girl was horribly traumatized and was never the same.

At Baylor, sadly, the response probably would have been to blame the victim. Why was she drinking? Why did she willingly go to the apartment of guys she didn't personally know? How can we be sure she didn't consent at the time?

That's bad enough, of course, but it's not quite the same as a university shielding star athletes and letting them live outside the law. But thanks to ESPN that's the popular perception of what happened at Baylor. So I hope this MSU story will draw more attention to what an actual "rape culture" looks like.
"Free your ass and your mind will follow." -- George Clinton
Illinois Bear
bubbadog said:

I read about this story earlier in the week. I hope it gets traction and think it might.

If the allegation is true, then what happened at MSU reflects the kind of culture of unaccountability for athletes that the media accused Baylor of allowing (when I think the reality at Baylor was different -- more of a university-wide failure to treat sexual assaults as something real than, in the end, about purely letting athletes get away with anything).

Alleged victim was a female student studying to be a sportswriter. She and a friend went to a nightspot where they saw some of the MSU basketball players. Friend convinces the girl to go talk to them, because she's a fan and knows all of their stats from that season. Both of the women already have had a couple of drinks. Girl goes and talks to the players about basketball, and they invite her back to someone's apartment where there's a celebration party for the team. She goes and then allegedly several of the players take turns raping her.

She goes home. Friends notice change in behavior. She waits a few days before going to school counselor. She tells the counselor who was involved (she has never made the names public), and the counselor tells her she is asking for trouble if she accuses star basketball players of raping her.

At Baylor, sadly, the response probably would have been to blame the victim. Why was she drinking? Why did she willingly go to the apartment of guys she didn't personally know? How can we be sure she didn't consent at the time?

That's bad enough, of course, but it's not quite the same as a university shielding star athletes and letting them live outside the law. But thanks to ESPN that's the popular perception of what happened at Baylor. So I hope this MSU story will draw more attention to what an actual "rape culture" looks like.

Hope you're right bubba. But I just don't see that happening.
bubbadog
Illinois Bear said:

bubbadog said:

Hope you're right bubba. But I just don't see that happening.
Michigan State is already so notorious for lack of institutional control over the Larry Nassar scandal that I could see this story taking off as an addition to an established narrative.
"Free your ass and your mind will follow." -- George Clinton
Baylor3216
Y'all are doing what's know as pissing in the wind
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.