Wade Reinstated at LSU

3,377 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Banned BarleyMcDougal
Aliceinbubbleland
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Ashley Hodge
Staff
MrGolfguy
Nothing to see here, move along.
Well I ain't no greenhorn!!
bularry
I find this to be truly incredible. What on earth did he say in this meeting to clear himself?!?
Banned BarleyMcDougal
Say what you want about Art Briles...but anybody that looks at this situation and thinks we couldn't have kept him is crazy.

The FBI has this guy on a WIRE TAP BUYING A RECRUIT.

Here's the thing...why does Baylor even want to be in the sports business anymore? It's obviously a cesspool and any program in any sport that isn't breaking rules isn't going to win consistently. I get that the money is a driving factor, but that alone goes against everything that school is SUPPOSED to be about, no?

I don't like knowing that "taking the moral high ground" is a de facto term for "not competing", but it's true.
jdrs
Unreal, but it is the state of Louisiana. There always seems to be some corruption going on in Baton Rouge.
whitetrash
Another application of Edwin Edwards' standard of Louisiana justice: "The only way to ruin your career is to be caught with a live boy or a dead girl."**

**rule does not apply to Pete Bootygig or Jussie Smollett, for obvious reasons.
Johnny Bear
BarleyMcDougal said:

Say what you want about Art Briles...but anybody that looks at this situation and thinks we couldn't have kept him is crazy.

Here's the thing...why does Baylor even want to be in the sports business anymore? It's obviously a cesspool and any program in any sport that isn't breaking rules isn't going to win consistently. I get that the money is a driving factor, but that alone goes against everything that school is SUPPOSED to be about, no?

I don't like knowing that "taking the moral high ground" is a de facto term for "not competing", but it's true.
Regardless of what happened in this situation, your point about CAB is dead on. BU had multiple other options besides simply "looking the other way" that didn't involve firing him and burning a program to the ground that all in all wasn't any "dirtier" than virtually any other successful P5 football program (and was probably cleaner than most). I don't agree that you have to be dirty to consistently win, but on the other hand it's unrealistic and naive to expect a winning program to be perfect or to not have issues from time to time that it has to deal with. And I've always felt if you randomly investigated any consistently successful P5 level football or basketball program in the country, you will find issues and issues in many cases that are materially worse than the issues for which we needlessly nuked a program that took years of blood, seat and tears to build.
Banned BarleyMcDougal
Johnny Bear said:

BarleyMcDougal said:

Regardless of what happened in this situation, your point about CAB is dead on. BU had multiple other options besides simply "looking the other way" that didn't involve firing him and burning a program to the ground that all in all wasn't any "dirtier" than virtually any other successful P5 football program (and was probably cleaner than most). I don't agree that you have to be dirty to consistently win, but on the other hand it's unrealistic and naive to expect a winning program to be perfect or to not have issues from time to time that it has to deal with. And I've always felt if you randomly investigated any consistently successful P5 level football or basketball program in the country, you will find issues and issues in many cases that are materially worse than the issues for which we needlessly nuked a program that took years of blood, seat and tears to build.
It just seems pointless to be the (pardon the phrase) prettiest turd on top of a giant pile of !@#$. It's just window dressing. And make no mistake about it, college athletics from recruiting kids to the games themselves is a giant pile of !@#$.

Anyone remember when Baylor was investigated from 09-12? The "text message" fiasco? Does anybody remember how that train got rolling? The "NCAA Top Prospect Program", which doesn't even exist anymore. Y'all think anyone else was given probation for that crap? Nope! Are text messages even a recruiting violation anymore? NOPE!

And here we are now watching LSU give the finger to the FEDS, THE NCAA AND COLLEGE SPORTS IN GENERAL, all the while Baylor is dragging its proverbial pecker in the dirt and begging for forgiveness.

Banned BarleyMcDougal
I've said many times that I'm ok with Baylor's attempt to take the high road in a dirty business.

But somebody at the school has to start speaking out, even if that means biting the hand that feeds you aka NIKE/ADIDAS/UNDER ARMOUR. Even if it means speaking out against conference peers like OU, UT and KU. I just don't think it's good enough to say, "We're going to act better than everyone else." We need to demand that the whole system gets fixed.
EvilTroyAndAbed
whitetrash said:

Another application of Edwin Edwards' standard of Louisiana justice: "The only way to ruin your career is to be caught with a live boy or a dead girl."**

**rule does not apply to Pete Bootygig or Jussie Smollett, for obvious reasons.
Dude, take your crap to R&P.
Yankee Bear
In other news, Jeffrey Dahmer has been pardoned by the President.
xiledinok
BarleyMcDougal said:

I've said many times that I'm ok with Baylor's attempt to take the high road in a dirty business.

But somebody at the school has to start speaking out, even if that means biting the hand that feeds you aka NIKE/ADIDAS/UNDER ARMOUR. Even if it means speaking out against conference peers like OU, UT and KU. I just don't think it's good enough to say, "We're going to act better than everyone else." We need to demand that the whole system gets fixed.
Shoot the shoe companies and you'll have zero recruits and we will get black balled. It's a dirty business and everyone goes about 85 mph in a 70 mph zone.

How much money would it take for Baylor to get a NIKE Elite camp on campus? I would think working with the shoe companies to promote their brand and develop their players is the only way to survive in college basketball.
D. C. Bear
bularry said:

I find this to be truly incredible. What on earth did he say in this meeting to clear himself?!?
Maybe something like this...

"If you don't reinstate me, here's what I am going to say in my deposition.
[Insert a bunch of facts they all know by can't admit.]
It's all true. I know it's true, you know it's true and I have the evidence for it. We sink or swim together."
Johnny Bear
BarleyMcDougal said:

Johnny Bear said:

BarleyMcDougal said:

It just seems pointless to be the (pardon the phrase) prettiest turd on top of a giant pile of !@#$. It's just window dressing. And make no mistake about it, college athletics from recruiting kids to the games themselves is a giant pile of !@#$.

Anyone remember when Baylor was investigated from 09-12? The "text message" fiasco? Does anybody remember how that train got rolling? The "NCAA Top Prospect Program", which doesn't even exist anymore. Y'all think anyone else was given probation for that crap? Nope! Are text messages even a recruiting violation anymore? NOPE!

And here we are now watching LSU give the finger to the FEDS, THE NCAA AND COLLEGE SPORTS IN GENERAL, all the while Baylor is dragging its proverbial pecker in the dirt and begging for forgiveness.
We were idiots to fire Briles and burn the program to the ground. We were also idiots to pay Pepper Hamilton to build a prosecutorial case against our own school and I fear we're about to find out we were idiots to turn ourselves into the NCAA, thinking they'd go light on us for self imposing the next thing to the death penalty. Hope I'm wrong on that last point, but I'll be surprised if I am.
Fozzie
turn the page bro. You sound like the LeBron fanboys living in the past. Baylor football has a bright future under Matt Rhule and then Joey McGuire.
bularry
D. C. Bear said:

bularry said:

Maybe something like this...

"If you don't reinstate me, here's what I am going to say in my deposition.
[Insert a bunch of facts they all know by can't admit.]
It's all true. I know it's true, you know it's true and I have the evidence for it. We sink or swim together."

The meeting wasn't just with LSU. NCAA was there, too
Aliceinbubbleland
LSU hired former aggy AD. I guess the heat got hot in the kitchen. I'm really surprised Woodward would leave aggy at this point in their successful program.

https://www.nola.com/lsu/2019/04/scott-woodward-officially-announced-as-new-lsu-athletic-director.html
xiledinok
Aliceinbubbleland said:

LSU hired former aggy AD. I guess the heat got hot in the kitchen. I'm really surprised Woodward would leave aggy at this point in their successful program.

https://www.nola.com/lsu/2019/04/scott-woodward-officially-announced-as-new-lsu-athletic-director.html

Money. These high pressure clean up guys are getting great money.
willyric
virginia doesn't cheat and they just won it all.

forgive me.. i don't KNOW that they don't.
But I would be surprised if they paid kids to come. But the situation today is looking more like schools don't have to pay. Nike and Adidas etc will pay for them
Banned BarleyMcDougal
willyric said:

virginia doesn't cheat and they just won it all.

forgive me.. i don't KNOW that they don't.
But I would be surprised if they paid kids to come. But the situation today is looking more like schools don't have to pay. Nike and Adidas etc will pay for them
Shoe runners and college coaches are in cahoots. It's not like these kids and their families aren't getting money from both sources.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.