Tech just made Beard the 3rd highest paid coach in the country

12,730 Views | 66 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by xiledinok
PartyBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
According to posts on Twitter. I believe it is a new 6 year contract.
Ashley Hodge
Staff
PartyBear said:

According to posts on Twitter. I believe it is a new 6 year contract.
small buyout. Seems like a pretty one sided contract. Good for Beard.
Stefano DiMera
Contract has a 'poison pill' provision for Longhorns:

1) buyout of $3 million if a non Big 12 teams hires him

2) buyout of $6 mil if a Big 12 team hires him

3) buyout of $16.5 mil if UT hires him
Johnny Bear
Winning a Big 12 Championship, going to a Final 4, and coming within a few points in overtime of winning a NC will do that for you.
Ashley Hodge
Staff
Stefano DiMera said:

ha only $16.5 million because UT would still owe Shaka another $10.5 million. Nothing to do with Beard and TT.

After Sean Miller gets fired, Beard could bolt for Arizona and only owe TT $3 million
Glu11
Ashley Hodge said:

Stefano DiMera said:

ha only $16.5 million because UT would still owe Shaka another $10.5 million. Nothing to do with Beard and TT.

After Sean Miller gets fired, Beard could bolt for Arizona and only owe TT $3 million
Or $6M after taking the KU job
xiledinok
Billy Donovan will be a candidate next season. I doubt he can change Russ. Therefore, he ll be job seeking. Great hire for college.

Beard is divorced and his wife has good job. He won't leave those kids until they graduate high school. He ll build his own palace at Tech for a while.

Bears need to feel confident that if Tech can, Bears can.
william
... or 0 zip nada zilch if he leaves it all behind and buys a single arby's and runs it hisselfs.

- BUmma

is that one on frankford still open?

PA.

>>Carve away the stone (Sisyhpus)
Carve away the stone
Make a graven image
With some features of your own<<
bubbadog
Stefano DiMera said:

Love it!
"Free your ass and your mind will follow." -- George Clinton
zebbie
Ashley Hodge said:

Stefano DiMera said:

Why would he go to Arizona? It's not like he can't build a team capable of playing for a championship in Lubbock. He'll be at Tech for quite some time.
bubbadog
zebbie said:

Ashley Hodge said:

Stefano DiMera said:

Why would he go to Arizona? It's not like he can't build a team capable of playing for a championship in Lubbock. He'll be at Tech for quite some time.
Agreed. Tech was smart to lock him down. Now that he has shown that someone can make Kansas play for second place in the Big XII, the program may get even more of a boost.

As to Arizona, I agree with you there, too. It's not like he would be stepping into an elite program. They're elite only by tradition and reputation these days. Besides that, they play in a crappy league that is well below the Big XII. And besides that, his team would get a lot less TV exposure at Arizona. Big XII games air in primetime. Pac-12 games air later than most fans are willing to sit through.

For years, Tech seems to have hired coaches who were temporary fixes rather than long-term solutions -- guys who could give the program a boost but who were past their freshness date. I'm thinking of Bob Knight, Tubby Smith, Billy Clyde Gillispie. Finally, they seem to have found someone they can build with for the long term.
Ashley Hodge
Staff
zebbie said:

Ashley Hodge said:

Stefano DiMera said:

Beard may feel different when he loses his top assistant the defensive guru to the NBA. Time will tell.
bubbadog
Ashley Hodge said:

zebbie said:

Ashley Hodge said:

Stefano DiMera said:

Beard may feel different when he loses his top assistant the defensive guru to the NBA. Time will tell.
Top assistants can be the difference between an above average program and a championship program. While this particular assistant would be a big loss, Beard is also now in a much better position than before to attract other excellent assistants. Besides, if he loses his top assistant at Tech, that doesn't change anything about the situation at Arizona. Except that he'd be going into something of a rebuild situation, amid high expectations, without the guy helped him rebuild at Tech.
Ashley Hodge
Staff
bubbadog said:

Ashley Hodge said:

zebbie said:

Ashley Hodge said:

Stefano DiMera said:

Top assistants can be the difference between an above average program and a championship program. While this particular assistant would be a big loss, Beard is also now in a much better position than before to attract other excellent assistants. Besides, if he loses his top assistant at Tech, that doesn't change anything about the situation at Arizona. Except that he'd be going into something of a rebuild situation, amid high expectations, without the guy helped him rebuild at Tech.
the thing that is attractive about Arizona is they have massive fan support and a long history of success (perhaps we are finding out the reasons why they've had success)... Like Chris Mack at Louisville, coaches aren't afraid to take these turn around jobs at places that have had great success in the past because they usually get 7-8 year guaranteed contracts. I've heard Beard has a wandering eye. This contract is ridiculously one sided in his favor. I'll be surprised if he is at Tech 2 years from now. Time will tell.
bubbadog
Ashley Hodge said:

bubbadog said:

Ashley Hodge said:

zebbie said:

Ashley Hodge said:

Stefano DiMera said:

the thing that is attractive about Arizona is they have massive fan support and a long history of success (perhaps we are finding out the reasons why they've had success)... Like Chris Mack at Louisville, coaches aren't afraid to take these turn around jobs at places that have had great success in the past because they usually get 7-8 year guaranteed contracts. I've heard Beard has a wandering eye. This contract is ridiculously one sided in his favor. I'll be surprised if he is at Tech 2 years from now. Time will tell.
Arizona does have massive fan support, and if they can ever find someone who can be their next Lute Olsen, they have all the resources to be a top 10 program again. Sean Miller was supposed to be that guy.

zebbie
The main thing is that if you see him in interviews, it's pretty clear he loves it here. If he wanted out, the Arkansas AD made it clear that he wanted to interview Beard. aTm and UCLA expressed interest. He doesn't have any ties to 'zona. He at least coached for a year in Arky.

Our attendance was 12k- 14k for conference. Not too far behind 'zona if at all- and that was with a very weak home NC schedule After this season, I'll bet we average 14k and we have a pretty solid road following too.

We got a really nice bump in recruiting off of last year's season and that's just going to get better. As for Adams, sure he would be a loss, but again, I doubt beard will have issues attracting able coaching talent after the last two years. Plus, we are building a $30mm practice facility- I am sure he will want to use that for a few years.

Mahan1979
Hard to imagine Beard would leave Tx Tech for Arizona. Maybe several years ago, but Tech, as a whole, has become a go-to place, rather than jumping-off place. Fan support has improved dramatically and as far as athletic resources, Texas Tech has been about dead even with Arizona the last 5 years, and that doesn't include 2019, which I'm sure Texas Tech has surged. They're building a $35mil basketball "practice facility" and I've heard that one of their alumns (an oil tycoon), and big basketball supporter, is planning to leave a VERY sizable donation in the next couple years. Tech currently has the 12th ranked recruiting class and in the hunt for another 5-star player. There's too much potential at Tech to just leave it behind just to go to Arizona. Not to mention, they've already made him the 3rd highest paid coach. He's not going anywhere.
zebbie
A good job just opened up. Arguably better than 'zona. We'll see if he wants to get out of Lubbock pretty fast....
Fozzie
Lots of Tech love on this Baylor MBB board. I think we can all agree that Beard has never defeated Baylor in Waco, that Baylor will have a better team next year and that if that defensive guru assistant goes to the Chicago Bulls, we will see how great Chris Beard is. Kudos to Beard for cashing in on the solid foundation that Tubby left. Building and sustaining are two different things. Hopefully for Tech's sake these corruption trials don't loop in Under Armour. Tech and Maryland will have some nervous moments if they do.
zebbie
Well, he will be maintaining the program with a deeper and more talented roster, and better facilities. It won't be as steep of an uphill climb.
Ludwig von Missi
zebbie said:

Well, he will be maintaining the program with a deeper and more talented roster, and better facilities. It won't be as steep of an uphill climb.
Nobody gives a ****

Go jerk off on the Tech board.
Mahan1979
It's not "Tech love" to state the obvious. My family has three generations of Baylor grads, so there is no "love" for Tech here. I was just responding to those that think Beard will go to Arizona and comparing those two schools. I will continue to cheer for my Bears as long as they continue to set foot on the court but I'm not going to deny the fact that Tech is building something special, and I don't think it is going to end anytime soon, no matter how much people want to believe that. I'd rather have another strong basketball school in the Big XII than have Beard go to Arizona to support the Pac12. Not to mention, I would love to see Kansas have to sweat every year.
BUAL
As one of the few basketball first fans on this board who is a fan of both MY school, Baylor and Arizona, this Tech is a better program than Zona talk is insane. Yes, the Cats will be in the wilderness for awhile waiting for NCAA to make a move but there is no comparison. One year of success doesn't mean a thing. Beard will leave and it will be over. A blip on the radar. He will be at Texas in 2 years if not Michigan next year.
Mahan1979
Saying "MY" school and claiming to be a first on a message board doesn't make you any more of a fan than anyone else. Quit being so pretentious. I completely disagree with you about Arizona, but that's ok, we don't all have to agree. I definitely hope you are wrong about Beard going to Texas, because if he does, we are really in trouble. I can stomach Tech have a great program, but never Texas. I hope that doesn't offend you, in case you're also a Texas fan. Just the way I feel.
Ludwig von Missi
Tech has had a couple really good seasons. Of course they are on the same level as programs like Arizona that have been there and done that for decades. Only makes sense.
Mahan1979
I agree, they're not the same level, that's why I said Tech has too much "potential" for Beard to leave for Arizona. Arizona definitely has a better history than Tech, but that doesn't really matter now. In just his third year at Tech he is already recruiting near the top 10 and Arizona doesn't have more resources in their athletic program than Tech, so what would he be jumping ship for? He is just as likely, as shown this past year, to get to the championship game at Tech as he would be Arizona. That's not to mention all the other reasons he would want to stay...staying in Texas near family, staying in a stronger conference, etc.
Ludwig von Missi
Mahan1979 said:

I agree, they're not the same level, that's why I said Tech has too much "potential" for Beard to leave for Arizona. Arizona definitely has a better history than Tech, but that doesn't really matter now. In just his third year at Tech he is already recruiting near the top 10 and Arizona doesn't have more resources in their athletic program than Tech, so what would he be jumping ship for? He is just as likely, as shown this past year, to get to the championship game at Tech as he would be Arizona. That's not to mention all the other reasons he would want to stay...staying in Texas near family, staying in a stronger conference, etc.
History doesn't matter now? History doesn't guarantee future success, but I wouldn't be so dismissive of it. Zona has proven it can sustain success for multiple decades, Tech has proven they can catch lightning in a bottle. The former is far more impressive.

Don't get me wrong, Tech is on a hell of a run right now. Credit to them. But this notion that it's almost a foregone conclusion that they'll sustain that level of success for an extended period of time is absurd.
zebbie
BUAL said:

As one of the few basketball first fans on this board who is a fan of both MY school, Baylor and Arizona, this Tech is a better program than Zona talk is insane. Yes, the Cats will be in the wilderness for awhile waiting for NCAA to make a move but there is no comparison. One year of success doesn't mean a thing. Beard will leave and it will be over. A blip on the radar. He will be at Texas in 2 years if not Michigan next year.

Does arizona have a better and more sustained history than Tech? Sure. Does that mean that Beard is going to drop everthing he's doing to coach there? Nope. We've got about the same attendance. We are not lacking for facilities. He has no ties to either Michigan or 'zona. His buyout gets cut in half if Hocutt isn't AD- and he signed a ten year extension, so his boss is obviously a big factor too.

As far as "one year of success..." I guess you missed last season. I'd say finisihing top 8 is pretty solid and he's done it with largely unheralded recruits- not to mention replacing five seniors off of last year's team.

As far as Texas- Why would he want to coach at a school where he will be second fiddle regardless of of good his team is and at an arena that holds 5k less than the USA? Not to mention that even tho he has a degree from there, it's arguable that his ties are much closer to Tech- where he learned most of what he knows about hioops philisophically under Knight.
Mahan1979
It would be absurd to think any program would maintain that level of success, with the exception of those few who have done it....Duke, N. Car., Kentucky, which all have one thing in common...a really good coach. I think Beard is at the same level as these coaches, he just hasn't been a head coach long enough to have had a chance to maintain that kind of success. It is coming though. Everything they are saying about Beard and Tech is what they said years ago about Mark Few and Gonzaga. "Lightning in a bottle"; "he'll be gone next year"; "They can't sustain that type of success", etc. It's all well-wishing from programs that don't want to believe it's true. Closing our eyes and pretending something isn't happening doesn't mean it's not happening.
zebbie
Crash Davis said:

Mahan1979 said:

History doesn't matter now? History doesn't guarantee future success, but I wouldn't be so dismissive of it. Zona has proven it can sustain success for multiple decades, Tech has proven they can catch lightning in a bottle. The latter is far more impressive.

Don't get me wrong, Tech is on a hell of a run right now. Credit to them. But this notion that it's almost a foregone conclusion that they'll sustain that level of success for an extended period of time is absurd.

Don't you think it will be much easier fror us to recruit after the last two seasons, a new $30mm practice facility, likely, 13k14k atttendance in what will eventually be the states's largest college arena....? While he did inherit some players from Tubby, the last two teams were pretty much his, espeically this year's. And it's not like we got lucky in the tourney- facing bracket busters or just had an easy route to the title game. Plus with his emphasis on defense, we aren't going to be as subject to streaks.
Mahan1979
I think the one thing we have over Tech is our location and proximity to recruits. We are closer to DFW, Houston, Austin where most of the top athletes are coming from. Tech is in the middle of nowhere. I'm afraid though, that the longer Tech maintains their success the less important location is going to be.
Ludwig von Missi
Mahan1979 said:

It would be absurd to think any program would maintain that level of success, with the exception of those few who have done it....Duke, N. Car., Kentucky, which all have one thing in common...a really good coach. I think Beard is at the same level as these coaches, he just hasn't been a head coach long enough to have had a chance to maintain that kind of success. It is coming though. Everything they are saying about Beard and Tech is what they said years ago about Mark Few and Gonzaga. "Lightning in a bottle"; "he'll be gone next year"; "They can't sustain that type of success", etc. It's all well-wishing from programs that don't want to believe it's true. Closing our eyes and pretending something isn't happening doesn't mean it's not happening.
I'm not pretending something isn't happening. Tech has had a great 2 year run. Good for them. Can they sustain it? Maybe. We'll see. Lots of programs have gone on impressive runs...some are able to sustain it, some aren't. I just prefer to gather a larger sample size before I proclaim Tech a basketball power indefinitely. Things can change very quickly in college athletics. Figured Baylor (and Tech fans for that matter) would have a better understanding of that.
Mahan1979
I agree completely. Things can change quickly, as we, unfortunately, have seen. The issue with Tech is not that people are claiming they will be an indefinite powerhouse, the issue is that too many people are writing their success off as temporary. I am not going to be so dismissive of their success and just assume it is coming to an end. I see something much more long-term, potentially, in their program now. Like you said, though, anything can happen. I just think its dangerous to dismiss them just because that's what we're hoping for.
whitetrash
Crash Davis said:

Mahan1979 said:

I'm not pretending something isn't happening. Tech has had a great 2 year run. Good for them. Can they sustain it? Maybe. We'll see. Lots of programs have gone on impressive runs...some are able to sustain it, some aren't. I just prefer to gather a larger sample size before I proclaim Tech a basketball power indefinitely. Things can change very quickly in college athletics. Figured Baylor (and Tech fans for that matter) would have a better understanding of that.
Their recent success could be like the Raider Rash: one brief fleeting moment of ecstasy followed by years of aftereffects.
Ashley Hodge
Staff
FWIW, Vegas just came out with some odds on the Michigan job.

Someone is feeding the book info of some sort. Maybe Beard's agent just trying to get Tech to renegotiate his 2 week old contract.

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.