Features of the new pavilion

9,277 Views | 56 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Edmond Bear
Michibear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So, in looking at the renderings, the new pavilion looks to be a rather "long" building with the court on one half and concessions/practice facilities on the other half.

[url=https://www.4shared.com/photo/NGLLJck4fi/Capture__1_.html][/url]

Any other basketball arenas set up this way? It looks somewhat unique to me. I usually think of most arenas like the Ferrell Center with facilities spread around the outside of the entire court.

I'm guessing this shape maximizes parking and uses the riverside footprint to best advantage.

[url=https://www.4shared.com/photo/MuP5HbVNee/Picture1__1_.html][/url]
Texasjeremy
I would assume the extra part that juts out is the practice facility,
whitetrash
A couple of observations based on the renderings:

1. Practice facilities at the north end (toward baseball field) with arena on the south.

2. Main entrance is at the practice facility end, with a giant staircase (like McLane) to get to the concourse. I presume because of the proximity to the river court will be at ground level instead of sunken like at FC.

3. Electric transformer station in the far end of FC parking lot not shown on outdoor rendering. Will it move?

4. Large sidewalk/outdoor area shown on river side of building. Sidewalk appears to go toward LaSalle, but that close to the river LaSalle rises to cross at the bridge. Nothing on the other side of LaSalle but intramural fields; no parking.

5. Right now lots of shuttle buses bring folks from garage on 2nd st. They only have to turn into lot, drop off, then immediately exit. Any use of shuttles would require driving all the way to the other end of the parking lot, which makes the loop 3-4 times further, and with the priority given to the shuttles, would delay regular traffic coming in even more.

6. Parking will probably be reconfigured to widen thoroughfares in lot, which will reduce onsite parking more than just the spaces lost from construction of new building. I don't see FC being reduced in footprint, or any green space being taken for parking (most green space around FC is for drainage purposes).

7. Given the prominence of the riverfront promenade in the renderings, one wonders if they expect to have people park at McLane and walk across the bridge.

8. Practice courts appear to be angled relative to the arena. Probably to line up the facade of the structure with the parking lot, but angle the rear to align with the river.
bear2be2
So I guess this means we can now search "tiny arena" to see whose "sources" are full of **** .
SMack
It's awfully close to the river.

I hope they take steps to guard against gar attacks.
ABC BEAR
Sail-gating opportunities? It would be nice to have the Baylor Navy dockside.
EatMoreSalmon
SMack said:

Gar guards and gardenias will be on that side of the arena.
whitetrash
EatMoreSalmon said:

SMack said:

Gar guards and gardenias will be on that side of the arena.

And the new arena will have its own animatronic mascot: Gar-Gar Binks.
Baylor3216
When?
Michibear
Baylor3216 said:

When?

After the first serious gar attack injury.
ABC BEAR
This will be a good opportunity to repurpose the trough urinals that were in FCS. We did save those didn't we?
BaylorOkie
ABC BEAR said:

This will be a good opportunity to repurpose the trough urinals that were in FCS. We did save those didn't we?
Chip and Johanna have used them as window boxes.
Michibear
BaylorOkie said:

ABC BEAR said:

I hear rumors, though, that the urinal stall walls will be made from prime, vintage ship lap.
whitetrash
BaylorOkie said:

ABC BEAR said:

Good idea. If you wake up in the middle of the night and it's too far a walk in the dark to the bathroom, just open the window and let it fly.
LIB,MR BEARS
whitetrash said:

BaylorOkie said:

ABC BEAR said:

Good idea. If you wake up in the middle of the night and it's too far a walk in the dark to the bathroom, just open the window and let it fly.
note to self: remove screens
BaylorOkie
whitetrash said:

BaylorOkie said:

ABC BEAR said:

If you don't already do it this way, you're doing it all wrong.
Ashley Hodge
Staff
great photoshop work by OP. Gives us a good visual.

400 parking spots affected total, obviously reducing capacity by 30% should make it a non issue after the construction phase is done

2021-22 is the realistic target date for the first season
whitetrash
Ashley Hodge said:

great photoshop work by OP. Gives us a good visual.

400 parking spots affected total, obviously reducing capacity by 30% should make it a non issue after the construction phase is done

2021-22 is the realistic target date for the first season

Visual is good, but the footprint on the photoshop is smaller than the footprint of the FC. I would expect it to be 1.25-1.5x the FC, once you figure in the entrance atrium, wider concourses, etc., plus a landscaped plaza of some kind out front (no more parking places right at the door like at FC). I would also expect a wide pedestrian path leading from Univ-Parks to separate foot traffic from vehicle traffic.

I would expect it to take at a minimum 1/2 of Lot C (the back quadrant of the FC lots) if not more. Which will reduce parking for McLane and affect access to the river walk during construction.
Ashley Hodge
Staff
Was told we don't sell out Ferrell parking for football. Have 400 spots that can go and no effect. That 400 spots was a pretty firm number from the studies they have already done.
whitetrash
Ashley Hodge said:

Was told we don't sell out Ferrell parking for football. Have 400 spots that can go and no effect. That 400 spots was a pretty firm number from the studies they have already done.
If you zoom in on Google Maps, there are 112 spaces to the right of the back entrance into Lot C (at the end of the main road in/out of the FC lots) near the transformer and the shed for the rowing club. Assuming 400 is a hard number, that would mean 288 spaces to the left of the back entrance. There are 16 rows of parking in Lot C, so that would be 18 spaces per row. Which would bring the front left corner of the footprint of the new pavilion roughly even with the drainage culvert next to the new baseball building in the RF corner (behind the berm).

I counted 984+/- spaces in Lot C on Google maps, so this would be a decrease of a little over 40% of the lot.

Again, if the building will have any sort of plaza in front of it, or if parking elsewhere is reconfigured for pedestrian access, it may be slightly closer to the river.

I also wonder if the rowing club is about to get evicted as well.
BellCountyBear
I kinda wish they would just tear down the old gold boob and expand parking.
EvilTroyAndAbed
BellCountyBear said:

You still need that for larger events (graduation, etc.) -- and we do have a national champion and a volleyball team that deserves that space. Right now, I think they have to practice at Marrs (?)
jbbear
BellCountyBear said:

Title IX requires facilities for volleyball and A&T. You could tear down the FC, but would have to build something new for VB and A&T. And again, where would you hold graduations?
Yogi
whitetrash said:

A couple of observations based on the renderings:

1. Practice facilities at the north end (toward baseball field) with arena on the south.

2. Main entrance is at the practice facility end, with a giant staircase (like McLane) to get to the concourse. I presume because of the proximity to the river court will be at ground level instead of sunken like at FC.

3. Electric transformer station in the far end of FC parking lot not shown on outdoor rendering. Will it move?

4. Large sidewalk/outdoor area shown on river side of building. Sidewalk appears to go toward LaSalle, but that close to the river LaSalle rises to cross at the bridge. Nothing on the other side of LaSalle but intramural fields; no parking.

5. Right now lots of shuttle buses bring folks from garage on 2nd st. They only have to turn into lot, drop off, then immediately exit. Any use of shuttles would require driving all the way to the other end of the parking lot, which makes the loop 3-4 times further, and with the priority given to the shuttles, would delay regular traffic coming in even more.

6. Parking will probably be reconfigured to widen thoroughfares in lot, which will reduce onsite parking more than just the spaces lost from construction of new building. I don't see FC being reduced in footprint, or any green space being taken for parking (most green space around FC is for drainage purposes).

7. Given the prominence of the riverfront promenade in the renderings, one wonders if they expect to have people park at McLane and walk across the bridge.

8. Practice courts appear to be angled relative to the arena. Probably to line up the facade of the structure with the parking lot, but angle the rear to align with the river.

7. Can they set up the George's tent for gamedays?
"Smarter than the Average Bear."
Grumpy
I realize that we are of course focusing on the basketball side of things, and the reduction of 400 parking spots may not be a problem for the new smaller basketball venue but it will be a significant issue for large events, such as graduations, at the FC. Clearly shuttle buses will need to used all the more for those gatherings.
PartyBear
Hell we had to use the shuttle just for a Midway graduation a year ago.
Russell Gym
jbbear said:

BellCountyBear said:

Title IX requires facilities for volleyball and A&T. You could tear down the FC, but would have to build something new for VB and A&T. And again, where would you hold graduations?

Where did pre-Ferrell Center graduations take place? Off campus? Ever at football stadium?
CTbruin
HOT coliseum
Russell Gym
CTbruin said:

HOT coliseum

Thanks. How did I overlook that venue? Never saw a graduation before Ferrell.
LIB,MR BEARS
Bob Tallman: "Out of shoot number 2, riding an Elementary Education degree (deeper voice for effect) with honorsssss, Betty Baaaaaylorrrrrrrrrrr"

only interesting if you know who Tallman was.
Stefano DiMera
I was the last graduating class in the HOT... memories....we should host a 80s throwback game in non conference there every year...I hear it's a lot nicer now...
EasyE
Michibear said:

So, in looking at the renderings, the new pavilion looks to be a rather "long" building with the court on one half and concessions/practice facilities on the other half.

Any other basketball arenas set up this way? It looks somewhat unique to me. I usually think of most arenas like the Ferrell Center with facilities spread around the outside of the entire court.

I'm guessing this shape maximizes parking and uses the riverside footprint to best advantage.

From this picture, it appears the square footage of the arena area is no bigger than the Ferrell Center. If that's the case, then that is a big disappointment. I can understand having less seats, but to be an upgrade it should have larger, nicer concourse spaces and facilities, and perhaps some premium box seating areas. The overall square footage should be more expansive than the existing structure.
LIB,MR BEARS
EasyE said:

Michibear said:

From this picture, it appears the square footage of the arena area us no bigger than the Ferrell Center. If that's the case, then that is a big disappointment. I can understand having less seats, but to be an upgrade it should have larger, nicer concourse spaces and facilities, and perhaps some premium box seating areas. The overall square footage should be more expansive than the existing structure.
I have nothing to base this off of other than my opinion. My guess is you will be pleasantly surprised by the end result
ABC BEAR
If the basketball thing doesn't work out it would make a fine looking arboretum.
LIB,MR BEARS
ABC BEAR said:

If the basketball thing doesn't work out it would make a fine looking arboretum.
Kim has said before she enjoys doing her own yard work so, there is that.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.