Features of the new pavilion

9,332 Views | 56 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Edmond Bear
CTbruin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
LIB,MR BEARS said:

ABC BEAR said:

If the basketball thing doesn't work out it would make a fine looking arboretum.
Kim has said before she enjoys doing her own yard work so, there is that.

She is my neighbor. I can assure you she doesn't do her yard work. Unless it's backyard only.
historian
BellCountyBear said:

I kinda wish they would just tear down the old gold boob and expand parking.

Absolutely not!!

First of all, the FC is still a beautiful building (and visible from the air on a clear day). It is a distinctive landmark for the campus and the city. Also, I have fond memories of going to the opening event: Pres. Reagan giving a speech. I'm sure I am not the only one.

Baylor, Class of 1987. I think mine was the last class to graduate in HoT. I'm glad we have a better venue and on campus. FC must remain.
Yogi
The FC is basically the Cadillac to the Bell County Expo Center. Both built and designed at the same time by the same people.
"Smarter than the Average Bear."
Russell Gym
historian said:

BellCountyBear said:

Absolutely not!!

First of all, the FC is still a beautiful building (and visible from the air on a clear day). It is a distinctive landmark for the campus and the city. Also, I have fond memories of going to the opening event: Pres. Reagan giving a speech. I'm sure I am not the only one.

Baylor, Class of 1987. I think mine was the last class to graduate in HoT. I'm glad we have a better venue and on campus. FC must remain.

I camped out for tickets to the FC opening Reagan rally event. Always cool to open or close a venue. Fun.
historian
Russell Gym said:

historian said:

BellCountyBear said:

Absolutely not!!

I camped out for tickets to the FC opening Reagan rally event. Always cool to open or close a venue. Fun.

I did not camp out overnight, but I did wait in line for hours. It was worth it.
Jacques Strap
I was at the 3rd graduation ceremony Saturday (2:30pm) and the place was near full. If the other two graduations were also near capacity then yes they need the FC unless they want to go to 4 or 5 different ceremonies in a smaller field house.
Ashley Hodge
Staff
Jacques Strap said:

I was at the 3rd graduation ceremony Saturday (2:30pm) and the place was near full. If the other two graduations were also near capacity then yes they need the FC unless they want to go to 4 or 5 different ceremonies in a smaller field house.
FC will still be used for graduation
Russell Gym
Ashley Hodge said:

Jacques Strap said:

FC will still be used for graduation

How many nearby ISDs use FC for graduation?
PartyBear
Midway does and they packed it at my son's.
historian
Good to know.

The City of Waco needs the FC, as does Baylor University.
BearlyHereBear
We need a ferry from McLean.
People shouldn't fear their government. Governments should fear their people. -V
LIB,MR BEARS
BearlyHereBear said:

As cool as that sounds, Lake Whitney is currently releasing over 24,000 cubic feet of water per second. It ain't hapnin
LIB,MR BEARS
BearlyHereBear said:

It's Game Day

https://www.facebook.com/731056123622101/videos/436068366969263?metadata=DSvBzXbKESZVBTG5m5vUzUyL3R5YdO9a3AVsrvZAKfdZz+XAopydUwrSQi9NPdmW/ToLh6mYq4f9G5N7jk3QSHgIklDkl1p+&sfns=mo
Yogi
I am not sure what kind of court volleyball will play on, but moving basketball to another venue opens the possibility that FCS returns to an all purpose special events center.

Currently, the arena has a permanent court, which, while it can be covered up, limits the possible uses and quick transition of the venue from one event to the next.

So, this could open the Ferrell Center to be available for many purposes it may not be available for at this time.
"Smarter than the Average Bear."
historian
I thought that the powers that be (at Baylor) had announced that the arena was for MBB & WBB and that the FC was going to be used for volleyball & AAT. That was always the plan as I understood it.
LIB,MR BEARS
historian said:

I thought that the powers that be (at Baylor) had announced that the arena was for MBB & WBB and that the FC was going to be used for volleyball & AAT. That was always the plan as I understood it.
Why doesn't the Roller Derby team get any love?
Ashley Hodge
Staff
historian said:

current practice gyms for mbb and wbb will probably be reconfigured for A&T and VB. Small intimate venues that bring crowds closer to action and permanent practice courts for both sports.
SSadler
I'm not against any of this change in venue for a new mbb and wbb facility, but . . . a facility as large as Ferrell that will not house day to day of mbb and wbb, smaller sport crowds and their respsective overhead annual budgets is a facility that will NOT last on university spreadsheets. And BU is typically not going to write off such $$$ simply to have an all events venue that does not drive 10,000 attendees (or even downsized by several 1,000) to regular events.

(We need a Hoot Johnigan insight on this one.)

At some point the $$$ people at BU will say, "We're not going to cool, heat, and insure that huge venue for a few hundred smaller sport/utility crowds."

I hope I'm wrong, but short of MAJOR remodeling to contain LOTs of day to day operations (even non-sports) and their respective overhead budgets means the FC is just not going to stay clean, fresh, appealing. And leasing it out even more to central Texas schools, etc. just makes the place that much more of a maintenance non-break even kind of deal (sorry, Mart, Marlin ISDs)

I'm sure folks a whole lot smarter than me in terms of $$$ have worked out the models. But I'm not convinced the foottraffic and butts in seats cost will keep that big bubble up to "nice" even. And the newer venue for bball and city of Waco will want to fill its non-sports calendars, drawing the Midways (etc) to the "newer and nicer" facility instead of Ferrell.

Hope I'm completely wrong on this one. And I'm FOR the newer bball facility idea. No one will know for 3-4 years of scheduling and overhead costs whether Ferrell has a future.

Imagine LaSalle Ave culture without Ferrell bball traffic???

Spookey!!

PartyBear
Baylor has no place for graduation without it unless they do them at McLane in the heat and rain in spring and rain and probable cold for winter graduation. Baylor is only going to get larger btw. It also houses large banquets for Baylor. They plan on keeping it for sure.
Wineguy89
Ashley Hodge said:

Was told we don't sell out Ferrell parking for football. Have 400 spots that can go and no effect. That 400 spots was a pretty firm number from the studies they have already done.

I park at FC for Football (season tix option which isn't bad at $100 for all games, plus shuttles etc.) and I can ASSURE you it does not sell out now, nor was it selling out in McLane's first couple of seasons.
Russell Gym
Anyone know if the roof will actually let in a good amount of sunlight like the renderings show? Or just architectural artistic license?
Ashley Hodge
Staff
Russell Gym said:

Anyone know if the roof will actually let in a good amount of sunlight like the renderings show? Or just architectural artistic license?
I think that is all to be determined.
Edmond Bear
LIB,MR BEARS said:

historian said:

Why doesn't the Roller Derby team get any love?

Thank you for reminding me to schedule a guy's night at Roller Derby with the Oklahoma Victory Dolls.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.