Preseason Top 25:

6,256 Views | 37 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Mahan1979
gobears20
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
Gentle Ben
Wow...ranked 13th is getting some respect!
MrGolfguy
That's some high cotton
Well I ain't no greenhorn!!
Banned BarleyMcDougal
Honestly, too low. We've got a Top 10 squad on paper.

If Drew can get these guys to buy in on some man defense, they could be special.
BellCountyBear
Bring the hate against tech!
TerranceJ
NCAA March Madness has Baylor at #17
Task Force 2015
Defense should be should be a strength.The redshirt guards and Butler are outstanding defenders.Vital is a beast.The rest are at least good.
bunation
This is going to be fun.
Ashley Hodge
Staff
BarleyMcDougal said:

Honestly, too low. We've got a Top 10 squad on paper.

If Drew can get these guys to buy in on some man defense, they could be special.
yes, if this squad buys into defense and TEAM, could be the best Drew has had. The versatility, experience, skill and talent is all there. And a PG that is going to make you go...

https://instagr.am/p/Bw5H4QdnhV7
BUAL
I still think working Clark into the style of play of the team that finished the year will be the real challenge but man, this is a more hopeful year than the way 18/19 started. Jazzed up.
Banned BarleyMcDougal
BUAL said:

I still think working Clark into the style of play of the team that finished the year will be the real challenge but man, this is a more hopeful year than the way 18/19 started. Jazzed up.
I actually had the same thought, but it isn't like he's immobile. He's definitely a traditional post player, but I think with time they'll figure something out. The great thing about Clark is he really comes off like a team-first guy. I think he'll be a surprise player in the NBA.
Ashley Hodge
Staff
Clark is the perfect big man in a system that wants to play fast. Great hands, footwork and quick leaper. He processes decisions quickly.

I think we play a lot faster than we have in a long time. We have a point guard that is athletically as good as we've ever had. Strong like Jerrells. Quick like Pierre.

As long as we keep turnovers under 15 per game, Drew will let these guys go.
DanaDane
Too low. If this team doesn't finish in the Top 10 and make the Elite 8, it will have underachieved. There's that much talent on this roster.
BaylorOkie
Lots of love. #7 here.

DanaDane
There is absolutely no basis whatsoever, other than Chris Beard is a good coach, to justify Tech in anyone's Top 25. They basically lost 90% of the team who could actually play. There's no way to know how cohesive any of those transfers and freshmen are gonna be. That's why you have to take all of these pre-season polls with a grain of salt.
rudylaw
So Darius Allen did transfer. Does that mean we have an open spot or was that already filled?
Ashley Hodge
Staff
rudylaw said:

So Darius Allen did transfer. Does that mean we have an open spot or was that already filled?
we are full. Check the Big12 roster thread
TerranceJ
DanaDane said:

There is absolutely no basis whatsoever, other than Chris Beard is a good coach, to justify Tech in anyone's Top 25. They basically lost 90% of the team who could actually play. There's no way to know how cohesive any of those transfers and freshmen are gonna be. That's why you have to take all of these pre-season polls with a grain of salt.
I agree. They may come back like they did the previous year, but to just assume that is going to happen and put them in the top 25 is nuts. I imagine it will take at least half the season, or longer, just to become cohesive.
Ashley Hodge
Staff
TerranceJ said:

DanaDane said:

I agree. They may come back like they did the previous year, but to just assume that is going to happen and put them in the top 25 is nuts. I imagine it will take at least half the season, or longer, just to become cohesive.
they were old last year with an NBA lottery pick. They probably have more talent this year but experienced teams usually do better.
rudylaw
Ashley Hodge said:

rudylaw said:

we are full. Check the Big12 roster thread
Forgot about the kid from Vegas
zebbie
Last year at this time, you could have basically said the same thing about Tech. Lost five seniors including a top 15 pick. Culver and Morretti were somewhat of role players on our 2018 team. Odiase was the only true veteran.

Next year Morretti will have some great experience and a ton of support behind him. True, we will need guys to step up, but Edwards and Corprew are capable of doing so. From top to bottom, this team will be more talented- which will allow us to be even more aggressive defensively.
Fozzie
zebbie said:

Last year at this time, you could have basically said the same thing about Tech. Lost five seniors including a top 15 pick. Culver and Morretti were somewhat of role players on our 2018 team. Odiase was the only true veteran.

Next year Morretti will have some great experience and a ton of support behind him. True, we will need guys to step up, but Edwards and Corprew are capable of doing so. From top to bottom, this team will be more talented- which will allow us to be even more aggressive defensively.
Ludwig von Missi
Fozzie said:

zebbie said:

Hard to imagine someone being such a loser that they go to an opposing team's message board to kiss their team's ass. Truly sad.
Banned BarleyMcDougal
I think KU in any Top 10 is the real shocker. They're *kinda* talented on paper, but not special. That roster is gonna be an ankle injury away from really, really bad.

I think UT is gonna be a surprise this year. Iowa State could be as well.

It will be definitely be a close conference race like last year.
OldBurlyBear86
Whorn is a slow start away from starting over.

Biggest issue is if they make it through Feb with the same Coach, they could be dangerous.
ImmortalTen
Fozzie said:

zebbie said:

https://media1.giphy.com/media/k3y33b9PpM6XK/giphy.gif?cid=790b76115cf6da8268386e4b2e5d066b&rid=giphy.gif
Seems like some other posters here did since he was responding to their posts.

I don't expect them to catch lightning in a bottle twice, but I do think Beard is a good enough coach that the new talent they have coming in will get them to the Sweet 16 or better again. Love them or hate him, they will be a tournment threat as long as Beard is there, and it doesn't look like he has any plans of leaving. There's no need for him to when he's taken them that far so quickly.

In the spirit of transparency, I'm an Aggie and as much as I don't care for tech their run gives me hope that we can do the same thing. Buzz is a coach much like Beard who can get the most out of the talent on hand and recruit well enough to close the gaps. The SEC is a buzzsaw so we might gel as well as tech did but not see it in the results. I don't think the Big 12 has enough good teams from top to bottom to really challenge an elite team, whereas the SEC may not be as strong at the top but the other 12 or 13 teams are all formidable.

I like Baylor's team on paper and IMO anything less than the Sweet 16 will be underachievement. That's assuming Clark is back and playing to his potential.
Banned BarleyMcDougal
OldBurlyBear86 said:

Whorn is a slow start away from starting over.

Biggest issue is if they make it through Feb with the same Coach, they could be dangerous.
They're very good on paper. His system is the real issue, which is why I was surprised the kid from Westlake committed.
Banned BarleyMcDougal
Hullabaloo said:

Fozzie said:

zebbie said:

I don't expect them to catch lightning in a bottle twice, but I do think Beard is a good enough coach that the new talent they have coming in will get them to the Sweet 16 or better again. Love them or hate him, they will be a tournment threat as long as Beard is there, and it doesn't look like he has any plans of leaving. There's no need for him to when he's taken them that far so quickly.

In the spirit of transparency, I'm an Aggie and as much as I don't care for tech their run gives me hope that we can do the same thing. Buzz is a coach much like Beard who can get the most out of the talent on hand and recruit well enough to close the gaps. The SEC is a buzzsaw so we might gel as well as tech did but not see it in the results. I don't think the Big 12 has enough good teams from top to bottom to really challenge an elite team, whereas the SEC may not be as strong at the top but the other 12 or 13 teams are all formidable.

I like Baylor's team on paper and IMO anything less than the Sweet 16 will be underachievement. That's assuming Clark is back and playing to his potential.
I think it's more of a reference to a Tech poster talking about Tech on our board.

If you mean going back and forth b/w NCAA and NIT, sure. He'll be similar to Drew until he jumps for a better job, because he will certainly hit a wall there. I'm not sure what you mean by "challenging" an elite team. There aren't that many elite teams anyway. 5? 6? And KU is about to drop off significantly this year, IMO.
Kentucky, Duke, Michigan State, UNC? Maybe Arizona with the talent they are bringing in...

I don't think anybody is going to run away this year in any league.
BUbearinARK
zebbie said:

I'm appreciative of a strong Tech bb team helping with our fb recruiting. truly amazing phenomenon. Its like an internet weird trick to loose belly fat.
Fozzie
Hullabaloo said:

Fozzie said:

zebbie said:

username checks out
zebbie
You have to look not just at what Beard has done, but how he's done it. It's not like he's lucked out and got an easy bracket- or was able to play in a bracket where the top seeds got knocked out early. And, while he's had talent, not much of it was highly regarded on signing day. And he did it so quickly. There's definitely huge upside for him at Tech.

He's already attracting better talent than what got him to the title game-he will get even more after the last two seasons. It's not out of the question that we pretty much make the NCAAs every year Beard is at Tech.
Banned BarleyMcDougal
zebbie said:

You have to look not just at what Beard has done, but how he's done it. It's not like he's lucked out and got an easy bracket- or was able to play in a bracket where the top seeds got knocked out early. And, while he's had talent, not much of it was highly regarded on signing day. And he did it so quickly. There's definitely huge upside for him at Tech.

He's already attracting better talent than what got him to the title game-he will get even more after the last two seasons. It's not out of the question that we pretty much make the NCAAs every year Beard is at Tech.
Ok sure. If you just don't look at statistics and history, you're right. Good luck with that.
xiledinok
Beard will have a nice run. I could see them being a yearly bracket team.
2019-2020 looks on paper to be a year the Baylor Bears win a conference championship. We are sure due for one.

Kansas appears to have ran dry on big time NBA prospects.
TerranceJ
xiledinok said:

2019-2020 looks on paper to be a year the Baylor Bears win a conference championship. We are sure due for one.

I think Baylor has it's best chance to win the conference next year, but I would never discount KU. They didn't get 14 straight titles out of luck. If KU and Tech drop a few "should have wons" next year then we have it in the bag. Otherwise, it'll be a tight race, I believe.
Ashley Hodge
Staff
TerranceJ said:

xiledinok said:

I think Baylor has it's best chance to win the conference next year, but I would never discount KU. They didn't get 14 straight titles out of luck. If KU and Tech drop a few "should have wons" next year then we have it in the bag. Otherwise, it'll be a tight race, I believe.
plus you can just automatically give KU 10 free throws to start the game especially at their place. So you really need to be 10+ points better than them at AFH (and at home as well) to beat them.

It is one of the reasons they struggle to do more in the big tourney despite almost always getting a 1 or 2 seed. The coddling in the Big12 catches up with them in the tourney when refs don't care as much about the name on the jersey.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.