Story Poster
Baylor Basketball

Baylor Men's Basketball Headed to Italy for Foreign Tour

August 13, 2019

WACO, Texas – Baylor basketball is headed to Italy for a nine-day foreign tour that begins Thursday in Rome. The Bears will play four games during the trip, with stops in Rome, Vatican City, Florence, Venice, Trieste and Como.

Baylor’s roster will feature 11 active players during the trip. Sophomores Flo Thamba and Jonathan Tchamwa Tchatcoua will not be on the trip due to visa issues that were unable to be resolved, while senior Freddie Gillespie and sophomore Matthew Mayer will be on the tour but will not play in the games while recovering from offseason surgeries. Junior forward Tristan Clark is expected to play in two of the team’s four games and will be held to limited minutes as he works his way back from a knee surgery that prematurely ended his 2018-19 sophomore season.

The Bears’ first game is Saturday, Aug. 17 against Stella Azzurra Academy in Rome. BU then will face Tuscan Select on Sunday, Aug. 18 in Florence. Baylor’s third game is against Jadan Trieste on Wednesday, Aug. 21 in Trieste, and the final matchup is against LCC International University on Thursday, Aug. 22 in Como.

In addition to Clark’s limited availability, 17th-year head coach Scott Drew expects to play seniors Devonte Bandoo and Obim Okeke, juniors Mario Kegler, Mark Vital and MaCio Teague, sophomores Adam Flagler, Jared Butler and Davion Mitchell and freshmen Jordan Turner and Jackson Moffatt.

Baylor’s non-conference schedule will be released later this month. The Bears open the 2019-20 season the afternoon of Tuesday, Nov. 5.

Discussion from...

Baylor Men's Basketball Headed to Italy for Foreign Tour

6,788 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by bunation
jdrs
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It was good to see the Bears in action today. Thanks to whoever streamed it on Twitter!
Eball
So...I love basketball and am excited about our men's team...always been a great Scott Drew fan...back in the days of baylorfans though this men's B-Ball forum was one I stayed away from as it had some really idiotic and highly critical posters that I just could not stomach...I stuck to the women's board which had and still has a lot of knowledgeable folks posting and football. Has the men's board gotten better?
rudylaw
Not really. The fact there's a premium board that divides the fans, especially during game threads, this place will actually remain worse than BFans ever was.
BaylorOkie
It's still bad here, but there are some good posters as well. We welcome you to help dilute the bad ones.
Eball
BaylorOkie said:

It's still bad here, but there are some good posters as well. We welcome you to help dilute the bad ones.
I will try and do that...I hate that so many premium members only read an quote on the premium thread...it has become jumbled with all the sports and some multile posts there and on individual threads like mens' and women's basketball and football. I have been trying to revive the football board as it has devolved into the same 6 or so posters taking over and rehashing arguments that have been thoroughly argued for the last 3 plus years.

I have tried to get more premium members to post on sports specific boards as opposed to the one sports related premium board but unfortunately there are some that seem to think these free boards are beneath them...premiere content is great and I highly recommenced if you are a BU sports nut who lives and breaths this stuff or if you just want more BU info then join pay the fee it is worth it...however the forums should in my opinion be for everyone to share and visit and be fans of BU.
Gobearsone
How are the guys looking? Any scores, etc.
LIB,MR BEARS
Gobearsone said:

How are the guys looking? Any scores, etc.
They went 4-0
BearlyBeloved
So what are the NCAA rules that allow this foreign swing? Obviously it has HUGE advantages in preparing for the season. Why don't more teams do this??
BaylorOkie
I think you're allowed to do it every 3 or 4 years.
Ashley Hodge
Staff
I'm going to try and do a podcast on my thoughts after watching the action up close and personal in Italy. Will pin it to the top.

We have some flaws that need to be worked out but I think the ceiling for this team is very high. We have guards that should match up with any program in the country. Kind of reminds me of Carter, Dunn, Jerrells, Dugat but I think our bigs and wings are much better than what those guys had to work with. Vital, Kegler, Clark and Gillespie should help us control the paint against most teams and neutralize the ones that have great front courts- Kansas, West Virginia, etc...
bunation
rudylaw said:

Not really. The fact there's a premium board that divides the fans, especially during game threads, this place will actually remain worse than BFans ever was.

Eball raises the bar on any discussion. Personally, I enjoy the mix of opinions.

(Having said (wrote) that, using (even masked) vulgarities, personal attacks & senseless comments aimed at slighting/abusing another, are not welcome/helpful/contributing/beneficial and should be referred to TexAgs.)
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.