MARIO KEGLER Out to go pro

7,633 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by kevinwood
Sic Em Bears
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm sure more details to come.

Ashley Hodge of http://SicEm365.com talks about Mario Kegler leaving the Baylor Basketball program

gobears20
Staff
chorne68
Not good news...He was a stud. Now that he is gone, posters will say he was no good anyway. He was good.
Brendan
Wow. $20 says it was for weed.
BUGWBBear
Brendan said:

Wow. $20 says it was for weed.

Or got caught setting up an agent, in which case he says "FTS!"
Yogi
"Smarter than the Average Bear."
lawmaker
This is a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge freakn loss. Ouch
DanaDane
Defintely not good news but in no way was he ever a "stud." A "stud" is someone who can independently carry a team. Tristan Clark is a stud. Kegler was a good role player who dribbled the basketball like a 4 year old (picture the ball bouncing all the way to his head), which is why he would often get stripped when he attempted to drive to the basket. Still, he will be missed because he would have been a good contributor with good height and so now our depth has taken a shot.
rudylaw
RIP FF dreams.
rudylaw
DanaDane said:

Defintely not good news but in no way was he ever a "stud." A "stud" is someone who can independently carry a team. Tristan Clark is a stud. Kegler was a good role player who dribbled the basketball like a 4 year old (picture the ball bouncing all the way to his head), which is why he would often get stripped when he attempted to drive to the basket. Still, he will be missed because he would have been a good contributor with good height and so now our depth has taken a shot.
Agreed. Not even close to a stud but he was improving and experienced. It's a substantial loss but it's also an opening for someone to run with.
Mitch Blood Green
I assume pro means he's going to Europe or Asia right away.
Bear8084
rudylaw said:

RIP FF dreams.

Maybe, maybe not. This is a big loss but not season hindering like losing Clark.
vanillabryce
DanaDane said:

Yep, the frustrating part is he would show signs of being a stud. Then he'd try to do too much - mainly dribbling or pushing too hard on the break.

I was excited to see his improvements, but next man up!
Stefano DiMera
Probably our 4th or 5th best player..we had too many guys..more than enough talent now to absorb the loss..
bexar country
Well...hell
Saddle Up!
Seemed like feast or famine with his play. Glimpses, but no consistency.
historian
He is a good player and we will miss him. But it's not the end of the world. We still have plenty of talent and great prospects for the season.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
jdrs
A disappointment for sure, but still looking forward to a great season.
twd74
Very sad to hear Mario is leaving. He seemed to have a rough time adjusting to the pace of the game early on last season, but played better toward the end. I wondered last year if having to sit out a year was more of a problem for him. Ekpe Udoh is a spectacular example of someone who transferred, sat a year, and used the year to develop as a player. Few players seem able to do that.
Baylor3216
Not shocking. Couldn't avoid a suspension before his first baylor game
Longstreet
Why was my post deleted?
Ashley Hodge
Staff
Longstreet said:

Why was my post deleted?
very speculative. Two sides to every story. I have no idea what the truth is here. When Baylor found out about it, he was suspended indefinitely. They handled it correctly. Let's leave it at that.
chorne68
I hope Mayer comes on strong this year. He has very good talent and is six nine. He seems to be the logical choice for small forward. They could go small with three guards but with a six five forward under the basket, will need some more help rebounding.
Johnny Bear
No doubt this is a significant loss, but on balance, based on his one season with us, he was at best inconsistent and out of control too much of the time. Besides the dribbling issues others have referred to, he also threw up a lot of bricks on ill-advised 3 point shots in addition. Was looking forward to seeing if he was going to significantly improve this season which isn't going to happen now, but at the same time there are multiple other players on the squad that would've been much more devastating to lose.
Brendan
So what was the reason for the indefinite suspension?
Longstreet
Ashley Hodge said:

Longstreet said:

Why was my post deleted?
very speculative. Two sides to every story. I have no idea what the truth is here. When Baylor found out about it, he was suspended indefinitely. They handled it correctly. Let's leave it at that.
Ok.
xiledinok
Longstreet said:

Ashley Hodge said:

Longstreet said:

Why was my post deleted?
Ok.

It's okay, Ian managed those things.
Signed Baylor alumni.
Bubear2020
I don't think it was a loss. He could be a real cancer
Scruffs Bouncer
Longstreet said:

Ashley Hodge said:

Longstreet said:

Why was my post deleted?
Ok.
Curious what your post said now..
Ashley Hodge
Staff
Bubear2020 said:

I disagree with this. Rio had some off the court issues. On the court, his teammates loved him and he had a lot of charm. He was an emotional, passionate player like Vital. I had a chance to spend some time with him at a practice last year and then on the Italy trip and I found him very likeable and he interacted with his teammates with humor and encouragement. It is hard to fake that for 11 days.

The only positive to me in this situation is that there is one less mouth to feed. I think Drew had 9 Big12 quality starters and now he has 7/8 depending on if you consider Mayer to be one of those.

He was working really hard this summer on his game; had the right mindset heading into the season. He is paying for some past mistakes. I wish him the best in his professional pursuits.
vanillabryce
Bubear2020 said:

Never got that impression. Do you have info most of us don't?

Teams with a cancerous player don't go on runs like we did last year.
Ashley Hodge
Staff
Longstreet, I deleted your posts because it has zero to do with the thread. I sent you a PM explaining it.
Longstreet
Ashley Hodge said:

Longstreet, I deleted your posts because it has zero to do with the thread. I sent you a PM explaining it.
But I will drop it now.
Ashley Hodge
Staff
thank you
kevinwood
I'll miss saying his name. Be it Mario, Rio, Kegler or Keg, it was a joy to simply say his name.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.