What is going on with the NBA?

2,551 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by ccbear
Ashley Hodge
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff

political correctness has run amok... the guy stood up and said "free Hong Kong". I kind of understand not allowing that to continue but taking away freedom of expression to make political statements that is not vulgar? That is a slippery slope...
Baylor3216
Romans go home!

Conjugate the verb...
vanillabryce
The NBA's response to this will be an HBR case study in a few years, as what not to do.
xiledinok
Jersey Sales Matter
fubar
Baylor3216 said:

Romans go home!

Conjugate the verb...
People called "Romanis" they go to the house?
Gunter gleiben glauchen globen
bularry
NBA band all political signs in games. This is consistent with that policy and makes sense
Aliceinbubbleland
Quote:

(CNN)
Quote:

- The NBA has canceled all media access for the remainder of its visit to China as it puts players in a "complicated" and "unfair" situation, it said.

The league is embroiled in a standoff with China after the Houston Rockets' general manager Daryl Morey tweeted his support for the pro-democracy movement in Hong Kong.

The announcement comes a day after CNN's Christina Macfarlane was shut down by a Houston Rockets' media officer as she tried to ask James Harden and Russell Westbrook a question about the NBA's position with China during a news conference in Tokyo.

"They [the teams] have been placed into a complicated and unprecedented situation while abroad, and we believe it would be unfair to ask them to address these matters in real time," said an NBA statement Friday.

Macfarlane has since received an apology, with NBA spokesperson Mike Bass saying the incident was "inconsistent with how the NBA conducts media events."

What a contradiction. They shut down the CNN reporters question but then turn around and say it's inconsistent with media events and then they halt all media access in China.
Keyser Soze
https://reason.com/2019/10/07/china-south-park-ban-censorship/

xiledinok
I read somewhere that several teams expect a 20 percent decline in salary cap space next year because of it.
BaylorOkie
Well, the guy traded for Westbrook, so he might as well go all-in with his destructive habits.
vanillabryce
BaylorOkie said:

Well, the guy traded for Westbrook, so he might as well go all-in with his destructive habits.

He did manage to get rid of what is, perhaps the worst contract in the NBA.
BaylorOkie
vanillabryce said:

BaylorOkie said:

He did manage to get rid of what is, perhaps the worst contract in the NBA.
True. Although if Westbrook loses his explosiveness, we could be saying the same about him in 3 years.
EatMoreSalmon
What if they wrote "souvenirs" in tiny letters below "FREE HONG KONG"
Ashley Hodge
Staff
EatMoreSalmon said:

What if they wrote "souvenirs" in tiny letters below "FREE HONG KONG"
vanillabryce
BaylorOkie said:

vanillabryce said:

BaylorOkie said:

True. Although if Westbrook loses his explosiveness, we could be saying the same about him in 3 years.

Agreed. His entire game is built on his athleticism and his shot hasn't improved like Jason Kidd and others have been able to do.

Morey has pushed all of his chips in to win now.
ccbear
LeBron and other NBA voices find it easy to be social justice warriors on "easy" issues when they aren't offending any group and their stance isn't hurting them financially. But, they sure are quiet on matters when the topic requires courage and they could lose out financially.
Roughneck
Fozzie will vouch that I am no fan of Lebeta, but I think it is somewhat unfair to criticize a player for not zealously advocating for every single cause to the same degree he advocates for causes that directly affects themselves, their families and their community. Its like saying Ali was a hypocrite because he was not an environmentalist or some such.

On the flip side if you are going to don the cape of justice and do a TV show that largely centers around it, you should expect heat when you duck a justice issue seemingly out of financial interest.
vanillabryce
It's not that he's not advocating for a position. It's that he is advocating for an oppressive regime to protect the Swoosh and his bank account. It's disingenuous at best to say Morey wasn't educated on the issue... where exactly was he lacking clarity LBJ?

LBJ has done great things for Akron and his communities, but his comments were ridiculous and he deserves all the criticism he's getting.

ccbear
Morey is an MIT grad...he's plenty educated on the issue.

LeBron is quick to frequently be a social justice warrior and tweet public support for Kaepernick or regularly speak up on other "social justice" issues if his convictions line up with those that are relevant to him. However he seems to be unusually silent when real social injustice is being done, as in this case. It is pathetic at best to realize how anticipated financial gain derived from China, in this case, finds him now publicly taking a position opposing those in real need.

Aliceinbubbleland
I don't follow the NBA very closely but on Twitter I read LeBron is apparently a huge Taco fan and even tried to trademark "Taco Tuesday" as that is his favorite food.

An appropriate response was LeBron will be changing his famous saying by now declaring Wonton Wednesdays.
EvilTroyAndAbed
Ashley Hodge said:

political correctness has run amok... the guy stood up and said "free Hong Kong". I kind of understand not allowing that to continue but taking away freedom of expression to make political statements that is not vulgar? That is a slippery slope...
I don't think you understand the term political correctness.
EvilTroyAndAbed
ccbear said:

Morey is an MIT grad...he's plenty educated on the issue.

LeBron is quick to frequently be a social justice warrior and tweet public support for Kaepernick or regularly speak up on other "social justice" issues if his convictions line up with those that are relevant to him. However he seems to be unusually silent when real social injustice is being done, as in this case. It is pathetic at best to realize how anticipated financial gain derived from China, in this case, finds him now publicly taking a position opposing those in real need.

Are you implying that African Americans do not experience real social injustice?

And if Morey is plenty educated on the issue, why did he delete the tweet after five minutes?
ccbear
I read my comment again and don't see anything that references or implies anything about African Americans. Why do you ask? It is unfortunate that your speculation appears to be a reference to race. Social injustice affects people of many races in many parts of the world, including those in Hong Kong and China.

Well, I don't know why he deleted his tweet. My educated guess is that he was "strongly urged" to do so because his thoughts were not the desired viewpoint of the NBA or those involved in managing the finances of the league and they didn't want someone of his stature making such statements. Why do you think it was deleted? I'm interested in your response.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.