Gotta be honest. This team not at all what I expected

9,987 Views | 75 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by BaylorOkie
Baylor3216
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Very disappointing thus far

Drew's teams always improved over the season but so far

Woooooooooofff
DST
Yeah, can't believe the Bears didn't beat that team that won 24 games last year with the best player in the Sun Belt by 30 even without Tristan Clark.
Mitch Henessey
Got a feeling that we were misled as to what to expect by the "experts" in our fanbase who pumped this team up, seemingly undeservedly.
EvilTroyAndAbed
Dude,

Look at other early season scores tonight. Duke wins by 11, picked by 29. Xavier wins by 3, picked by 14.

We were picked by 15. We won by 9.

Florida slips by Towson last night. LSU loses to VCU.

Chill.
DanaDane
Just 3 games, guys. Give them some time to develop cohesion. Definitely need a healthy, aggressive Clark or else we are way too small on the interior as Washington showed or gonna have to get much more consistent drilling threes by the time conference play rolls around but there are a lot of good parts on this team. Drew and staff are just gonna have to keep plugging to get them working together.
OldBurlyBear86
Sure could use a couple of YMCA guys that can hit a 5 footer.
BirelBear
Where was Clark? I didnt watch but didnt see him on the stats when I checked.
Ashley Hodge
Staff
we have a lot of work to do on offense... defense looks solid overall. Good news is that Scott Drew has had a top 25 offense in 10 of the last 12 years.

We have the tools to be really good. Freddie has been outstanding in all 3 games.
jdrs
Clark didn't play. He had a non surgical procedure this week. Really hope it isn't anything more. We need him in the non conf to shake the rust off his game to be ready for Big 12 play.
rudylaw
I think OP is more focused in the style of play we've shown so far. It's a lot of chucking and turnovers. Clark has to get healthy and has to be something formidable in the post because I don't think we can count on being a classic Iowa State clone in terms of shooting lights out almost every night.

Our big 3 guards should be anchors all season. I'm extremely disappointed in Mayer as it looks like he'll just be a scholarship hog his career. Hasn't improved at all since last year and his minutes to this point suggest the staff believes the same. I really hope I'm wrong here. Bandoo should step it up as a senior leader. Freddie G has been great but he can only do so much. We need a back to the basket scorer and that's where Clark needs to come in.
vanillabryce
You don't just roll the ball out and everyone gels immediately.

Ever hear of the forming, storming, norming, performing cycle?

We have a bunch of new pieces and it's going to take a while to perform.

Kentucky just lost to Evansville - didn't they have sleeves on their uniforms until a few years ago?

Relax, and trust CSD.
xiledinok
Drew is always looking to build the team around a veteran player no matter if his young studs should be the featured players.
Last year, he had the one legged shooting guard playing PG. This year he will feature Clark no matter if Clark is up against sure fire lottery picks.
Ashley Hodge
Staff
xiledinok said:

Drew is always looking to build the team around a veteran player no matter if his young studs should be the featured players.
Last year, he had the one legged shooting guard playing PG. This year he will feature Clark no matter if Clark is up against sure fire lottery picks.
Drew features his seniors when they are his best players. I don't think he cares what classification they are. Jared Butler has almost as much experience as Clark now even though Clark is a year ahead of him. He certainly featured guys like Perry Jones, Isaiah Austin and Quincy Miller a lot when they were freshmen.
ChapBear
rudylaw said:

I'm extremely disappointed in Mayer as it looks like he'll just be a scholarship hog his career. Hasn't improved at all since last year and his minutes to this point suggest the staff believes the same.
Totally disagree. Mayer's time on the court this year has been very productive. His assists and steals have been very good for the minutes played. He is no longer a shoot first pass second mentality, he has made a major effort to set up his teammates. He is right on schedule after having a substantial hip injury that he is recovering from. By the end of this year, he will be a formidable presence on the court.
setshot
I watched Mayer very closely in an October practice game scrimmage and he played under control and was unselfish to a fault. It was a significant change from last year. He has not played substantial minutes to this point but except for an occasional lapse, he has not been a deficit in the games I have watched. I think that we may have expected too much for a player who came in a year younger than many, if not most, college frosh basketball players and his youth showed to poor advantage last year. I think that he can become what he is not yet, and that is a highly productive, even exciting basketball player. I am not quite sure how Drew wants to use him, at what position and calling upon which specific skill, but I think that he will contribute in this, his still-young sophomore year.
BearTruth
My Lord OP they have played 3 games. Remember losing to Texas Southern last year. Give them a minute. I admit the washington meltdown and the OU meltdown were nauseating but DANG football is farther along this year than I ever dared to dream and Drew deserves some patience and respect. he has earned it. We will compete for Big 12. Mark it down.
rudylaw
ChapBear said:

rudylaw said:

I'm extremely disappointed in Mayer as it looks like he'll just be a scholarship hog his career. Hasn't improved at all since last year and his minutes to this point suggest the staff believes the same.
Totally disagree. Mayer's time on the court this year has been very productive. His assists and steals have been very good for the minutes played. He is no longer a shoot first pass second mentality, he has made a major effort to set up his teammates. He is right on schedule after having a substantial hip injury that he is recovering from. By the end of this year, he will be a formidable presence on the court.
I hope so my friend. He looks to have a spark about him you don't see much so I really hope he can advance in his development. I completely forgot about his hip injury too.
EvilTroyAndAbed
Ashley Hodge said:

xiledinok said:

Drew features his seniors when they are his best players. I don't think he cares what classification they are. Jared Butler has almost as much experience as Clark now even though Clark is a year ahead of him. He certainly featured guys like Perry Jones, Isaiah Austin and Quincy Miller a lot when they were freshmen.
X is just always looking to tear down the basketball program and Drew. He hates Drew, always has.
xiledinok
EvilTroyAndAbed said:

Ashley Hodge said:

xiledinok said:

X is just always looking to tear down the basketball program and Drew. He hates Drew, always has.

Butler is the best point guard Drew has had at Baylor. I m all about winning conference and doing better than Texas Tech. Drew is rewarding loyalty and seniority if he's not giving Butler the keys. Just an opinion,
Porteroso
Ashley Hodge said:

That's not really true. He will sit anyone not playing well, but he has shown a clear bias towards rewarding his seniors with playing time. There are exceptions but not many.
Ashley Hodge
Staff
I was curious so I looked it up

2018-19 Minutes Played

Vital (SO): 943
Butler (FR): 910
Mason (SR): 899
McClure (SR): 810
Kegler (SO): 791

2017-18

Lecomte (SR): 1124
Acuil (SR): 1023
McClure (JR): 814
Omot (SR): 805
Lindsey (JR): 794

Maston (SR): 644- 8th

2016-17

Motley (JR): 1036
Wainright (SR): 1028
Lecomte (JR): 922
Acuil (JR): 914
Lindsey (SO): 790

2015-16

Medford (SR): 1103
Prince (SR): 1040
Freeman (SO): 1021
Wainright (JR): 841
Gathers (SR): 817

2014-15

O'Neale (SR): 1060
Gathers (JR): 1015
Medford (JR): 1005
Chery (SR): 940
Prince (JR): 868

2013-14

Jefferson (SR): 1103
Chery (JR): 1069
Austin (SO): 1065
Heslip (SR): 1042
O'Neale (JR): 1038

Franklin (SR): 830- 6th

2012-13

Jackson (SR): 1252
Austin (FR): 1046
Jefferson (JR): 1032
Walton (SR): 1017
Heslip (JR): 945

2011-12

Jackson (JR): 1172
Acy (SR): 1130
Heslip (SO): 1028
PJones (SO): 1012
Miller (FR): 903

AJones (SR): 541- 7th
Ellis (SR): 114- 11th

2010-11

PJones (FR): 1017
Walton (SO): 990
Dunn (SR): 987
Acy (JR): 960
AJones (JR): 923

2009-10

Udoh (JR): 1264
Dunn (JR): 1174
Carter (SR): 1161
AJones (SO): 958
Acy (SO): 840

Lomers (SR): 623- 7th

Ashley Hodge
Staff
I think he's biased towards playing the best players. But everyone is entitled to their opinion. And remember just because someone is the best offensive player, doesn't mean they are the best all around player. Coach Drew and staff just want to win as many ball games as possible, sure they are more comfortable with experienced players but they will not play experienced guys over younger guys unless they think the younger guys can help them win more games... like Butler last year.
Chamberman
Baylor3216 said:

Very disappointing thus far

Drew's teams always improved over the season but so far

Woooooooooofff
We are three games in, hardly enough time to pass judgement.
trey3216
xiledinok said:

Jackie Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
xiledinok
trey3216 said:

xiledinok said:

You aren't holding up #1. Butler is our #1 and the goal in the league.

Butler makes the USA Under 19 team and can't play for reasons we'll not post about online. One of the best amateurs in the world and destined for the NBA (all the boxes get checked) or will be a high level European league star. He is the best player on the floor and these guys should off him. Let's roll with the big ticket player.
Dia del DougO
Grading a team at this point of the season seems like it has been a poor indication of what kind of team ends up on the court during the peak of conference play. Seems every year there's either a big win or a surprising loss or two that changes expectations. Then a few weeks later the team starts to jell or show it's true weaknesses.

Just watch the games. We'll find out soon enough.
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool."
Dia del DougO
i think there's something to younger players having to earn their playing time and not being exposed early when they really aren't ready. Some of the most talented young players struggle early, it seems like even the norm. It's a different level of play and adjusting to it is a process. i don't think Drew is going to send a young player out to be humbled at the expense of a veteran who has earned playing time.

Some players develop and adjust to the college level quicker than others. It isn't always the best indication of long term success. i trust Drew has a clue what he's doing. i think he's earned that respect.
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool."
EvilTroyAndAbed
xiledinok said:

EvilTroyAndAbed said:

Ashley Hodge said:

xiledinok said:

Butler is the best point guard Drew has had at Baylor. I m all about winning conference and doing better than Texas Tech. Drew is rewarding loyalty and seniority if he's not giving Butler the keys. Just an opinion,

Butler is averaging the most minutes of anyone on the team. The only game he went under 30 minutes was UCA, and that was obviously because it was a blowout.
BaylorOkie
Cool thread.

This Drew guy, can he coach at all? I'm so unfamiliar.
xiledinok
EvilTroyAndAbed said:

xiledinok said:

EvilTroyAndAbed said:

Ashley Hodge said:

xiledinok said:

Butler is averaging the most minutes of anyone on the team. The only game he went under 30 minutes was UCA, and that was obviously because it was a blowout.
He should and the offense should flow through him. It didn't against Washington.
bunation
rudylaw said:

I think OP is more focused in the style of play we've shown so far. It's a lot of chucking and turnovers. Clark has to get healthy and has to be something formidable in the post because I don't think we can count on being a classic Iowa State clone in terms of shooting lights out almost every night.

Our big 3 guards should be anchors all season. I'm extremely disappointed in Mayer as it looks like he'll just be a scholarship hog his career. Hasn't improved at all since last year and his minutes to this point suggest the staff believes the same. I really hope I'm wrong here. Bandoo should step it up as a senior leader. Freddie G has been great but he can only do so much. We need a back to the basket scorer and that's where Clark needs to come in.

The season is VERY young. Last year at this time, Baylor was written off as a post season team.....

Mitch Henessey
Yeah, but when the site's mods are pimping this team and saying the O/U is 30 wins... it's gonna increase the expectations.

When you increase the expectations like that, struggling against an exceedingly mediocre Coastal Carolina is a very bad look.
trey3216
Mitch Henessey said:

Yeah, but when the site's mods are pimping this team and saying the O/U is 30 wins... it's gonna increase the expectations.

When you increase the expectations like that, struggling against an exceedingly mediocre Coastal Carolina is a very bad look.

I mean, it's not like Kentucky getting beaten at home by Evansville, but I understand. Things happen in this game man
Jackie Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
BaylorOkie
I disagree with "exceedingly mediocre." This is a good team.
Ashley Hodge
Staff
BaylorOkie said:

I disagree with "exceedingly mediocre." This is a good team.
Coastal Carolina didn't have one of their best players in the first loss to Campbell. They are playing with a lot of energy, focus and skill. No way they aren't one of the top teams in their league.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.