Story Poster
Photo by Baylor Athletics
Baylor Basketball

MBB: Podcast and Reaction to Baylor's 87-78 win over Villanova

November 24, 2019

New Member Special: Try SicEm365 Premium for $5.00 until Feb. 6  

Baylor (5-1) beats Villanova (4-2) to win the Myrtle Beach Invitational Classic.  This was one of the best November basketball games I've seen.  Great competitiveness; offensive efficiency and effort from both teams.  

Positives

• Valuing the basketball and shot selection were elite!  Baylor only had 5 turnovers and shot the ball extremely well:  54% FG; 58% 3pt; 78% FT.  That’s winning basketball.  
  • Jared Butler (22 points); Macio Teague (18 points); Davion Mitchell (13 points) all made plays when they were needed.  Baylor trailed Villanova 57-51 and then went on a 36-21 run to close out the game.  
  • Mark Vital didn’t “stuff the stat sheet” like he normally does.  But when Baylor was behind he stepped to the line and made 2 really big free throws.  He brings the energy every game and it is contagious.  
  • Huge effort from Matthew Mayer off the bench in the first half- 10 points; 3 rebounds; 1 assist and zero turnovers.  I’ve said before that Mayer has a higher ceiling than Kegler and I think the first half (against one of the top 10 basketball programs in the country) showed us why.  Clark and Mayer may hold the keys to how good this team can be.  
  • Bears guarded the perimeter well in the second half:  2-10

Needs Work

• Outrebounded for the second game in a row.  The Wildcats held a 28-24 advantage on the glass against the Bears
  • Cleaning up some areas, a handful of drives into traffic and then jumping in the air with no plan (Mitchell, Bandoo).  Teague’s foul on the 3 at the end of the half.  Freddie pushing in the back at the end of the half.  Slow reactions to back door cuts.  

A great win against a great program.  This will pay dividends in March on selection Sunday.  

Discussion from...

MBB: Podcast and Reaction to Baylor's 87-78 win over Villanova

3,226 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by USNA82
gobears20
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
Futbol Bear

It was encouraging to see TC & MM step up and have a very solid contribution to the victory! TC played so much better than the UW loss! Certainly a reason to have high hopes!
USNA82
Grew up in South Jersey outside Philly, Big 5 basketball was King when I was a kid. Jay Wright is a super individual and coach but I have always Disliked the arrogance of the Villanova fan base. One son played them in football every year 2010-2014. Drove down to the game on Sunday and just cherished the faces of the Villanova fans in the second half. To the uninformed Villanova Fan, Baylor is a radical redneck school in Wacko, Texas. The thought of Baylor having the front court talent to stick with them much less beat them was priceless. Great win! The guards protected the ball in the second half and were great from the 3pt line. Switching up M2M to 1-2-2 matchup zone confused them. They beat a very good team yesterday. They sent Villanova fan base home Goggling up Baylor U.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.