Arizona fan, attending the Dec7 game

4,560 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by JohnProctor
Zonafan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Hi everyone, like the title says I'll be in attendance at the game! I'm really excited, AZ might be a top10 team but they haven't been properly tested yet. Baylor might also be a powerhouse and need a big quality win to be put on the map. I feel like this is the perfect game at the best time to see where both squads are really at. I can't say I know a lot about Baylor basketball but I think it's a very winnable game for them.

AZ is ten players deep and actually has issues getting everybody minutes. This is probably the best offense Sean Miller has ever coached. Nearly every player can get hot at different times.

Freshman guard Nico Mannion has been spectacular. Can utilize a screen extremely well. He can drive, shoot the three, pull up at the mid range, can tear drop from the top of the key. He demands the ball when the big moments come and will get a clutch bucket during gut check moments of the game. The Pepperdine game he just willed the offense at points. He's also a trash talking ginger. If he's on your team you love him, when he's on the other team you just want someone to kick his ass bad lol.

AZ has a few notable weaknesses. Free throw shooting is the worst. So far during the season the team is averaging 72% overall but it seemed like they couldn't make any during the Wooden Legacy. Only 4 players average in the 80-83% range. Rebounding is the other major issue. Neither of our bigs hit 10 rebounds during the Wooden Legacy Tourney. The starting center Chase Jeter had 0 rebounds against a small Pepperdine team. It's been a clear issue that hopefully Coach Miller has worked on it this week. Defending the three ball has been an issue as well, though the stats seem to say otherwise.

AZ is usually a very good traveling fan base. I've seen many over the years in Texas at various events. Sucks to see the Conference Game happening the same day, though I'll be rooting for y'all against OU! I hope baylor is still able to pack the house, too. You might be surprised at how much red will be in the stands, especially if tickets are free.

My father and I will be driving up Friday night and staying overnight. Any recommendations regarding food/drink/etc?
fadskier
Zonafan said:

Hi everyone, like the title says I'll be in attendance at the game! I'm really excited, AZ might be a top10 team but they haven't been properly tested yet. Baylor might also be a powerhouse and need a big quality win to be put on the map. I feel like this is the perfect game at the best time to see where both squads are really at. I can't say I know a lot about Baylor basketball but I think it's a very winnable game for them.

AZ is ten players deep and actually has issues getting everybody minutes. This is probably the best offense Sean Miller has ever coached. Nearly every player can get hot at different times.

Freshman guard Nico Mannion has been spectacular. Can utilize a screen extremely well. He can drive, shoot the three, pull up at the mid range, can tear drop from the top of the key. He demands the ball when the big moments come and will get a clutch bucket during gut check moments of the game. The Pepperdine game he just willed the offense at points. He's also a trash talking ginger. If he's on your team you love him, when he's on the other team you just want someone to kick his ass bad lol.

AZ has a few notable weaknesses. Free throw shooting is the worst. So far during the season the team is averaging 72% overall but it seemed like they couldn't make any during the Wooden Legacy. Only 4 players average in the 80-83% range. Rebounding is the other major issue. Neither of our bigs hit 10 rebounds during the Wooden Legacy Tourney. The starting center Chase Jeter had 0 rebounds against a small Pepperdine team. It's been a clear issue that hopefully Coach Miller has worked on it this week. Defending the three ball has been an issue as well, though the stats seem to say otherwise.

AZ is usually a very good traveling fan base. I've seen many over the years in Texas at various events. Sucks to see the Conference Game happening the same day, though I'll be rooting for y'all against OU! I hope baylor is still able to pack the house, too. You might be surprised at how much red will be in the stands, especially if tickets are free.

My father and I will be driving up Friday night and staying overnight. Any recommendations regarding food/drink/etc?
George's or Vitek's
RegentCoverup
Zonafan said:

Second on George's. Not sure about hotels.

Take some time to stroll the campus since you've made the trip. The facilities upgrades are cool. I haven't been wowed by the food in our venue, but it's not bad, either.
Johnny Bear
Zonafan said:

Not only is it happening on the same day, it's scheduled to tip at the same time as the B12 Championship Football game is scheduled to kickoff, which is where BU's fanbase will overwhelmingly be or tuned to at that time - so yes to say the least it will severely affect attendance at this game, which is sad. You may end up feeling like you traveled a long way for an AZ home game.
niconation
Another Arizona fan here, wanted to get some insight about how you think the teams match up. My main questions:

- How do Clark, Gillespie, and Vital typically do against tall, mobile bigs? Arizona has two 6'11 240 guys in the post who move very well including Nnaji who can step out and shoot midrange jumpers.

- How good of a defender is Mitchell? Is that who would guard Mannion? When Mannion is clicking Arizona is as good as anyone in the country, but when he doesn't have it going Arizona can look sluggish. This will probably be the biggest matchup of the game

- Is this the type of game that Baylor fans would feel historically confident or not confident about? Top 15 non-con opponent at home
whitetrash
fadskier said:

Zonafan said:

George's or Vitek's
Grab a GutPak at Vitek's. It's as much of a local delicacy as a Sonoran Dog at El Guero Canelo.
gordontrue
Hey! I'm also an Arizona fan attending this game with my two sons.

I have a question about the "general attendance" tickets (which is what I have). How does that work?

I talked to the ticket office and they said the doors will open one hour early, at 10 am. If we're there at 10, will we safely be able to sit together? Is there an "away" section where the Zona fans will gather?

I'm guessing the fact that the football game will be going on means that it won't be too hard to get seats together?

Definitely pulling for Baylor to beat Oklahoma!
BU Rufus
Basically once you are in, you can sit anywhere you want except for reserved seating by the court. Something like 10th or 12th row up. (not sure which it is).
You will have absolutely ZERO issues sitting together. Huge problem for Baylor having the conference championship game same day same time. Not really a visiting section, it's just wherever you want.
Like everyone said, try George's or Viteks bbq. Downtown is more lively now and has a Crickets which is burger and bar scene. From the politeness and the generally good sporting nature of your posts, I hope you all have a good time in Waco and I genuinely hope it's a good game. But, unfortunately it won't be a game day atmosphere worthy of a top 20 team like BU. Really wish Baylor could somehow change the time of the game to evening, giving our fans a better chance to make it, and people in AZ a better chance to watch.
RegentCoverup
niconation said:

Another Arizona fan here, wanted to get some insight about how you think the teams match up. My main questions:

- How do Clark, Gillespie, and Vital typically do against tall, mobile bigs? Arizona has two 6'11 240 guys in the post who move very well including Nnaji who can step out and shoot midrange jumpers.

- How good of a defender is Mitchell? Is that who would guard Mannion? When Mannion is clicking Arizona is as good as anyone in the country, but when he doesn't have it going Arizona can look sluggish. This will probably be the biggest matchup of the game

- Is this the type of game that Baylor fans would feel historically confident or not confident about? Top 15 non-con opponent at home
I think you'll have trouble with Vital. He's elusive quick and physical. He moves people to get rebounds.
If this were the NBA I'd have traded Vital, but he would have made me eat my words every night. His tenacity is unique.

Clark has been injured, we aren't really sure what we're seeing just yet. He's been erratic this season, so he can go either way. But he's our high upside player.

Gillespie is sort of an overachiever and I think he'll have his hands full in this game. It's a match up that doesn't favor him.

Our fast/guard oriented lineup will control the tempo and that's how we get wins. It will put Arizona back early, but I think Arizona is the more talented team.
JohnProctor
Baylor is a smallish school for P5 D1 college with 10,000ish students with maybe 50% who could name one Baylor basketball player. Plus as said earlier, every Baylor Fan (including myself) with any cash will be in Dallas. Our gym typically doesn't pack out until conference games. You will have no problem finding a seat or a hotel room or finding a table at Georges or Viteks. Hit Hecho in Waco (more interior Mexican) or La Fiesta (Tex Mex) for some quality Mexican food.

Baylor has some incredible guards. And a couple of decent big men. If we play well and hit our 3s, you will have a challenge although I would imagine most money will fall to AZ.

I hope you lose, but have fun.
Dia del DougO
Hellberg bbq is getting a world class reputation, though I haven't been able to make it out there yet. ANybody travelling that far should do better that the glorified frito pie made of terrible barbecue at Vitek's.

Any of about a dozen family owned burger joints in Waco are close to as good as it gets. Cupp's near campus is the best and a step back in the magic time machine, though check the hours of business.

"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool."
OsoVerde
niconation said:

. Mitchell is our top guard defender and has been giving opposing guards fits thus far. He really makes guys work for their shot. It should be a good matchup. I see this game as a tossup in terms of who will win. Baylor has been competitive with top teams over the recent past, but we for sure have not been dominant. I would imagine most BU fans would not be surprised with either a win or a lose in this game.
Ashley Hodge
Staff
good conversation. I know a decent amount of Baylor basketball fans that are choosing the basketball game (myself included) over the conference championship game, but I suspect Arizona will have a lot of fans there as you would expect. Baylor seems to play well on the road, neutral or hostile environments so I don't think it will phase the team.

Restaurants

Milo in Waco
Barnetts
Moroso Wood Fired Pizza
Guess BBQ
Balcones (whisky)
Southern Roots (Pizza/Craft Beer)

Are some of my favorites

will respond to the other basketball related posts separately
Ashley Hodge
Staff
niconation said:

I'm sure Miller is going to emphasize physicality and controlling the glass since Baylor outrebounded Arizona 51-19 last year. Vital had 17 of those boards. As the competition elevates, he rises to another level. He's a dog and most college players have trouble matching his effort, strength, quickness and relentless motor. Clark is still rounding into form after an injury last year. He showed strides against Villanova. Gillespie is like a taller version of Vital, so active (steals, blocks, put backs, rebounds, picks). I've watched Arizona multiple times this year. Love Nnaji and Jeter looks really good also. I'd say Arizona has the skill. Baylor has the experience and perhaps a more physical frontline for the reasons I mentioned. How the refs call the game could determine a lot. If they let them play, probably to Baylor's advantage.

Mitchell is the most elite defender I've seen put on a Baylor uniform. It doesn't show up in the "steal" stat line but he just physically and mentally wears down opposing point guards. They may score early but they tend to fade late due to his on the ball pressure defense. Mannion is special but he may not see a better defender than Mitchell all year.

I think Baylor fans will be confident because of how they played against Villanova. That was an elite college basketball game. Villanova played great but Baylor played better. Not a perfect team by any stretch but the backcourt for Baylor is really good. Best backcourt Baylor has had and this is a tough team mentally (despite giving up a 10 point lead to Washington with 5 minutes left).

But Baylor fans know that Arizona is really, really good especially offensively and that this will be a big time test. Jared Butler may be the best player in the Big12. His body control and ability to get shots quickly off the dribble make him a tough guy to stop.

Really looking forward to this challenge and seeing how Baylor matches up with one of the best (if not the best) team in a much improved P12.
Stefano DiMera
You may wanna check that enrollment figure. We haven't been that small since the 80s
Edmond Bear
JohnProctor said:

Baylor is a smallish school for P5 D1 college with 10,000ish students with maybe 50% who could name one Baylor basketball player. Plus as said earlier, every Baylor Fan (including myself) with any cash will be in Dallas. Our gym typically doesn't pack out until conference games. You will have no problem finding a seat or a hotel room or finding a table at Georges or Viteks. Hit Hecho in Waco (more interior Mexican) or La Fiesta (Tex Mex) for some quality Mexican food.

Baylor has some incredible guards. And a couple of decent big men. If we play well and hit our 3s, you will have a challenge although I would imagine most money will fall to AZ.

JohnProctor should visit campus more often. Baylor is 17k and Waco hotels are a challenge.

There are more annual visitors to Magnolia than the Alamo. The Hilton is showing a few rooms left at $339/nt that weekend. You can stay in the same quality on Union Square in San Francisco for less.

George's is always packed and people will come stumbling out in the evening. Vitek's has the Gut Pak which was voted the #1 college food in an ESPN tournament. It's glorious.

John is right about plenty of available seating in the Ferrell Center and he's right about Hecho in Waco. But La Fiesta? Meh.

RegentCoverup
Biggest piece of advice is to learn the map of roads around campus and don't risk thinking you can go right down I-35.

The construction through the center part of Waco is troublesome, so have a plan to get around it.
GoldenBear
JohnProctor said:

I read where Baylor's enrollment, including graduate students, is right around 18,000 for 2019-20..
Asheville Bear
Ashley Hodge said:

good conversation. I know a decent amount of Baylor basketball fans that are choosing the basketball game (myself included) over the conference championship game, but I suspect Arizona will have a lot of fans there as you would expect. Baylor seems to play well on the road, neutral or hostile environments so I don't think it will phase the team.

Restaurants

Milo in Waco
Barnetts
Moroso Wood Fired Pizza
Guess BBQ
Balcones (whisky)
Southern Roots (Pizza/Craft Beer)

Are some of my favorites

will respond to the other basketball related posts separately
All you Ashley!! Your voice will need to be as loud as 10,000 Baylor fans.

Zona fans, welcome. Since Saturday will be more of a road game for us, I hope we kick your butt like we did last year on the road.
xiledinok
Zonafan, how is the team's strep throat and will two main stays not play this weekend?
fubar
Let me help you Arizona fans with some directions, because Waco can be weird. From the Baylor campus, take I-35 south to the Valley Mills exit. Turn right on Valley Mills and head towards Lake Air Drive. Turn right when you get to Lake Air. The arena will be on your right. If you don't see the ticket office immediately, keep looking. We usually don't tip until everybody is there, so no hurries.

I highly recommend Chanello's Pizza.

Enjoy your trip!
Gunter gleiben glauchen globen
9b1deb4d-3b7d-4bad-9bdd-2
I won't be mad if people go the bball game on Saturday, just disappointed
niconation
xiledinok said:

Zonafan, how is the team's strep throat and will two main stays not play this weekend?
Sigh.

Nico Mannion will likely play, but be limited by a sore back. If he doesn't practice today, team rules dictate he cannot play.

Josh Green, the team leader in minutes played and by far the best on ball defender, likely won't play.

You guys will run us out of the building if those guys are anything less than 100%.

I guess Arizona fans are lucky no one will be watching.
Ashley Hodge
Staff
niconation said:

xiledinok said:

Sigh.

Nico Mannion will likely play, but be limited by a sore back. If he doesn't practice today, team rules dictate he cannot play.

Josh Green, the team leader in minutes played and by far the best on ball defender, likely won't play.

You guys will run us out of the building if those guys are anything less than 100%.

I guess Arizona fans are lucky no one will be watching.
I bet you all will be fine. Hazzard is a great option if those guys aren't 100%. He's been through the wars. I saw him lead his team to victory against KSU last year and Baylor fans know how good KSU was defensively last season.

Dylan Smith and Jemarl Baker are good players. I've always thought relying on older players for your first game on the road is more important anyway. Freshmen often struggle in their first true road test. It won't be a hostile road environment due to the football game being at the same time but there is no doubt that Baylor players will be much more comfortable in their home gym than Arizona players will be.

If one of those guys plays at 75%, I expect it to be a really competitive game. Baylor will have its hands full with Jeter, Nnaji and Lee.
ABC BEAR
GoldenBear said:

JohnProctor said:

I read where Baylor's enrollment, including graduate students, is right around 18,000 for 2019-20..
WOW. The "I Found Myself At Baylor" ads, along with Arby's coupons are mesmerizing to high school students.
JohnProctor
I stand corrected on enrollment.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.