As Clark goes, we will go

4,022 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Jorkel
UrsosArctos
How long do you want to ignore this user?
With having so many scoring threats this season, something I've been watching and thinking about is where the offense is running through and who is taking our shots. At this point in the season we are starting to see whose playing efficiently and whose not.

The unfortunate reality at the moment is that Clark is leading the team in TOs per game (2.2) and bottom of the team in FG% (36%). Our one loss so far this season was when Clark, Vital, & Fred took by far the highest percentage of our shots. The top teams we play are going to copy this game plan and do whatever it takes to make those 3 beat them vs our guards.

Which is why its critically important that we continue to do what we can to get Clark minutes and get him back to being the player we know he can be. It maybe frustrating to watch at times and could cost us a game or two but the pay off of getting him back to being an efficient player could be the difference in a few rounds come March.

rckt24
I think you're right in that he'll be the difference in close games or keep us in some games when we are missing from outside. We easily win the Washington game had he made a few of the easier shots.

Thinking back on the Washington game if someone plays us with that kind of zone again Mayer should be placed in the middle. Gillespie might also be a good option or a guard but with Vital they'll live with him shooting a shot from the middle.
Ashley Hodge
Staff
I've come to expect a lot of consistency from Scott Drew teams in certain areas no matter what type of roster he has to deal with. It's almost a certainty that his teams will be in the top 25 in the nation of offensive efficiency each year.

2008: 19
2009: 14
2010: 5
2011: 99
2012: 13
2013: 19
2014: 10
2015: 13
2016: 14
2017: 23
2018: 62
2019: 20
2020: 11

It's also almost a certainty that we will be one of the best offensive rebounding teams in the country

2014: 3
2015: 1
2016: 4
2017: 3
2018: 9
2019: 2
2020: 11

We will also see rapid improvement in our bigs and the way we use our bigs throughout the season. Too many stats for me to adequately express this but if you look at production and efficiency numbers in non conference play versus conference play, it is amazing how much our bigs improve throughout the season.

Guys like Tristan Clark, Freddie Gillespie and Jonathan Motley saw their efficiency numbers go up during conference play which is remarkable given the big step up in competition.

Point is, I trust that whether it is Clark (hopefully) or some combo of Gillespie/Thamba, we will have a productive answer to that position sometime during this season and our guards should be good enough to carry us until that solidifies.
bunation
Remarkable coach.
BearBuck
I'm afraid I disagree with the OP. It appears Tristan is getting weaker (health wise) as the season progresses toward Big 12 play. He's slow with the ball, tentative, and struggles to get up off the floor when he falls. I think he fades into obscurity. I really like him and feel bad but some don't come back from bad injuries.

The good news is Gillespie is stepping up. Who would you rather see with the ball in their hands in the post right now?

Great win today.
rudylaw
You wonder if the mental recovery on this injury is worse than the physical one? Clark looks completely checked out both on the floor and on the bench. Butler should be a good play for him but after how Freddie, Vital and even Flo looked today... if we get 10 minutes out of him on Tuesday, I'll be shocked.
Dia del DougO
Drew has a clue...or two.

He's good.
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool."
rckt24
On second thought Gillespie is more than serviceable in the post paired with the guard play. It will be a bonus if Clark gets his confidence back this season.
Ashley Hodge
Staff
rckt24 said:

On second thought Gillespie is more than serviceable in the post paired with the guard play. It will be a bonus if Clark gets his confidence back this season.
Gillespie was the best big on the court today to be Captain Obvious.

17 pts; 13 rebounds; 5 blocks; zero turnovers

156 KenPom offensive efficiency rating. Freddie is good.
bear2be2
Ashley Hodge said:

rckt24 said:

Gillespie was the best big on the court today to be Captain Obvious.

17 pts; 13 rebounds; 5 blocks; zero turnovers

156 KenPom offensive efficiency rating. Freddie is good.
Freddie is the single greatest player development success story of the Scott Drew era, which is saying a ton considering the number of notches on this staff's belt in that area.

To take a Division III player and turn him into a quality high major starter is a remarkable achievement.
ChapBear
I think Taurean Prince is right up there too along with Motley more recently as the most developed players.
Media Bear
If necessary, is it too late to shut down Clark for this season and seek a medical redshirt?

IMO, it is possible we're trying to bring him back too fast. Why the pressure? Why not ease him back on his body's own terms -- rather than push the issue for the program's needs (even if Clark is OK with it)?
Hee-hee, hee. Hee-hee, hee. Woo! -- Michael Jackson
A buppa-ba-ba, buppa-buppa-ba. -- Paula Abdul
Say yah-yah-yah. Say yah-yah-yah. -- John Mellencamp
Ooh-ooh wee-oo ooh-ooh-ooh. Ooh-ooh wee-oo ooh-ooh-ooh. Ooh-ooh eh ooh. -- Mick Jagger/Rolling Stones
De do-do-do. De da-da-da. Is all I want to say to you. -- Sting (Gordon Sumner)/The Police
Ramidi ma-ma ba-di-ma, ramidi ma-ma ba-din-doe. -- David Draiman/Disturbed
C-c-c-c-come on. -- George Michael
KEBasketball
Media Bear said:

If necessary, is it too late to shut down Clark for this season and seek a medical redshirt?

IMO, it is possible we're trying to bring him back too fast. Why the pressure? Why not ease him back on his body's own terms -- rather than push the issue for the program's needs (even if Clark is OK with it)?
I was thinking the same thing this morning...he seems like he needs more time to heal, and it is unlikely to happen during the grind of the season...

- KEB
Ashley Hodge
Staff
I don't think there is an expectation that this issue will get better with rest.... otherwise they would consider that option. This may be more of a chronic situation where it is uncomfortable but not damaging to his long term health and he just needs to mentally prepare himself to play through discomfort.
bear2be2
ChapBear said:

I think Taurean Prince is right up there too along with Motley more recently as the most developed players.
Prince and Motley are certainly notches on the staff's belt. Cory Jefferson would be another big one. But all of those guys were three- or four-star recruits out of high school with multiple Division I offers. Freddie Gillespie didn't even have a Rivals profile.

Freddie G is just a tremendous story. And this staff's evaluation and development of his talents speak to their outstanding track record and ability in this area.
bunation
Wise up, OP.

Baylor
v Arizona
Player..MIN....FG.....3PT REB AST PF PTS
Clark.... 10.....0-3......0-1....6.....0....1...0
UrsosArctos
bunation said:

Wise up, OP.

Baylor
v Arizona
Player..MIN....FG.....3PT REB AST PF PTS
Clark.... 10.....0-3......0-1....6.....0....1...0

This was posted before the AZ game. The other question I wanted to pose was at what point do you start to limit Clark and just move away from him all together but did not want to cause a stir.

But after that game and seeing Clarks role it seems like Drew maybe picking the hot hand between him and Fred the rest of the way.

But I do stand by my point, a lot of the hype around this team was under the assumption that Clark would be an impact player. If he is not a factor, then I feel our ceiling come March could be slightly lower than expected.
Casual Observer
Clark is not suited up for tonight's game.
Jorkel
Clark will be a good bench/role player to give the starters a few minute breathers here and there.
DanaDane
"As Clark goes........"

Unfortunately I'm starting to wonder if Clark is ever gonna "go" again!
rudylaw
I'd like him to sit untIl the last nonconference game. Then, get him some confidence there and hope it carries over into league play.
Robert Wilson
I hope Clark develops back as the season progresses, but this team will be fine without him.
setshot
Losing both Clark and Kegler changes my expectations for this team somewhat, but Gillespie is outstanding and Vital plays extremely hard anytime he is on the floor. Unfortunately, neither of those players bring an offensive game like Clark did until his injury last season, and teams no longer have to scheme to stop our interior players at the offensive end of the floor. Our defense and rebounding have been impressive, but our outside shots have not been falling in recent games and that will have to change (and I believe that it will) when we go on the road in conference play.
OsoVerde
Without the offensive threat from the post, we are going to struggle some games, and our ceiling might be the Sweet 16.
Jorkel
I honestly don't think Clark is that much of an impact player. Obviously 100% healthy Clark is ideal and helpful but not the missing link to being a final 4 contender.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.