Scott Drew's contract

9,719 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by boognish_bear
boognish_bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I know over Rhule's short 3 year span we re-upped his pay several times.

Does anyone know how long Drew's current contract runs?

The pic below is from 2018....not sure how much the salaries listed have changed....it looks like we have CSD as one of the better paid BB coaches in the country.

With all of his dedication to our program just want to be sure we are taking care of him like we did CMR.

BearTruth13
He gets paid a lot. We've always taken care of him. If he gets another Elite Eight or wins the Big 12 this year, he will get another big raise.
9b1deb4d-3b7d-4bad-9bdd-2
He's a NC away from being considered one of the best coaches of all time. He rebuilt the program over 20 years. I don't see him leaving for anywhere but Kansas/Kentucky/Duke. Out of those I only see Kansas as a good fit.
bear2be2
clubhi said:

He's a NC away from being considered one of the best coaches of all time. He rebuilt the program over 20 years. I don't see him leaving for anywhere but Kansas/Kentucky/Duke. Out of those I only see Kansas as a good fit.
I think Scott Drew has always wanted to be Baylor's Homer Drew. And it's our great fortune that that's the case.

Pay the man what he wants. He's more than earned it.
Heisman25g
He is such a blessing and the one positive that will come from Rhule leaving is a little more appreciation for Scott Drew. Just like players, coaches can get better over the years and imho Coach Scott Drew has never stopped improving
EvilTroyAndAbed
The gap between the top 2 and 3 is staggering. Not surprising, but still.....wow.
boognish_bear
Baylor3216
EvilTroyAndAbed said:

The gap between the top 2 and 3 is staggering. Not surprising, but still.....wow.

Especially given how much those guys cheat and have the powers that be look themkther way to consistently succeed

It's like hedge funds in the 90s through around 2010ish

Then all the sudden they don't seem to know so
Much as the crack downs started happening
historian
BearTruth13 said:

He gets paid a lot. We've always taken care of him. If he gets another Elite Eight or wins the Big 12 this year, he will get another big raise.
If he does that, he will have earned it. I'm hoping for the Final Four this year.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
ABC BEAR
Heisman25g said:

He is such a blessing and the one positive that will come from Rhule leaving is a little more appreciation for Scott Drew. Just like players, coaches can get better over the years and imho Coach Scott Drew has never stopped improving
.....and unlike Rhule, Scott Drew will never have Little Tykes basketball goals on the sideline.
Ashley Hodge
Staff
Scott Drew is truly OOU

I believe his contract has an auto extension every time he makes the NCAA tourney.

If Cuonzo Martin gets fired at Mizzou, Nick Joos will probably make an effort to get Drew. I know the attendance issues at Baylor bother him. Hopefully the new arena helps. Baylor fans can certainly do their part and show up to games the rest of the year. We are in a national/big12 title hunt.

Would love to see Scott retire at Baylor. He's one of the elite coaches in college basketball and has created an incredible culture. He's in his prime as a coach and is a guy that I think can win the conference a lot in the next 10-15 years which would mean 1-2 seeds and set up for Final 4s and who knows what after that. As good as this team is, next year could be even better.
DanaDane
Cumulatively, Mizzou barely averages more attendance than us over the past 10 years, but of course that's because many of those teams in the past few years have been mediocre to awful. Put Drew and and a consistently ranked team on the floor in Mizzou colors and the place will go back to the sellouts or near sellouts during the height of the Norm Stewart era, so I can see his point.
Ashley Hodge
Staff
DanaDane said:

Cumulatively, Mizzou barely averages more attendance than us over the past 10 years, but of course that's because many of those teams in the past few years have been mediocre to awful. Put Drew and and a consistently ranked team on the floor in Mizzou colors and the place will go back to the sellouts or near sellouts during the height of the Norm Stewart era, so I can see his point.
have to prevent that from happening. Scott Drew can be to Baylor what Coach K is to Duke and Jay Wright is to Villanova.
historian
We must keep Drew in Waco. It would be a travesty if he did not remain. I'll do my part this week with the home game.
BearTruth13
I doubt Drew ever leaves. He has been here a long time. He is the 16th highest paid coach in the country and gets constant raises. He isn't paid all that much less than Self. We are building him a new arena and he has built a winning culture.

I know it is rare nowadays but I think there is something cool about staying your whole career with one team. Makes you a legend.
NeuroticBear
No one in the Big 12 other than Bill Self should make more than Drew.

Shaka is WAY overpaid for the results he (hasn't) delivered.
BaylorGuy314
If Drew ever leaves, it won't be for money. He loves Baylor. His family loves Baylor. He does want better crowd support and better facilities so he has the tools to continue to win. If we can build him a fantastic arena and fill it consistently, he's likely a Baylor lifer.
Jack Bauer
Well he's finally getting a top notch arena soon.
Johnny Bear
NeuroticBear said:

No one in the Big 12 other than Bill Self should make more than Drew.

Shaka is WAY overpaid for the results he (hasn't) delivered.
Chris Beard in 3 years has won a conference title, gone to a final four and come within overtime of winning the National Championship at a school that hasn't by any means been a historic "basketball factory", so I would objectively throw his name in there as well. Agree on Shaka.
historian
Good points. I wonder if he will be able to replicate any of that or it was a one time fluke. I think Drew has the potential to deliver that kind of success to Baylor repeatedly.
Russell Gym
DanaDane said:

I love Mizzou's basketball-only arena. Nice facility.
BearTruth13
historian said:

Good points. I wonder if he will be able to replicate any of that or it was a one time fluke. I think Drew has the potential to deliver that kind of success to Baylor repeatedly.

To be fair, Beard got Tech to the Elite Eight and the following year to the national championship. That exceeds Drew's accomplishments thus far.
historian
True. But I think Drew's best years are ahead of him.
Porteroso
Drew steadily improves, but whether he is remembered as an elite coach or not depends, either on consistently making elite 8s, or at least one final 4/championship game.
EvilTroyAndAbed
Porteroso said:

Drew steadily improves, but whether he is remembered as an elite coach or not depends, either on consistently making elite 8s, or at least one final 4/championship game.
And this is why we could lose him. 17 years of pulling us from the worst program in the nation to a perennial winner, and it's met with a shrug.
xiledinok
Give him a raise when he wins conference because there might be a school interested in paying more than Baylor.
DanaDane
Not throwing stones because we have empty seats at Ferrell, but there can't be more than 1,500 at MIzzou for this A&M game. The entire sections behind the benches on the front row -- optimum seats -- are all empty with the seatback folded up.
Porteroso
EvilTroyAndAbed said:

Porteroso said:

And this is why we could lose him. 17 years of pulling us from the worst program in the nation to a perennial winner, and it's met with a shrug.

I'm glad for Drew, you on the other hand are imagining things. Read the post again.
EK bear
I always imagined Indiana would be the one place to worry about, but I don't know how valid of a concern that is - or ever was.
Ashley Hodge
Staff
EK bear said:

I always imagined Indiana would be the one place to worry about, but I don't know how valid of a concern that is - or ever was.
I think the NBA would be the main concern for the same reasons that John Beilein took that leap. Hopefully Beilein doesn't have much success so we don't have to worry about it!
Stefano DiMera
Beilein has already fun afoul with his controversial comments to his team last week that were borderline racist.

Not sure why Cavs would hire a guy almost 70 years old.
BaylorRocks
Is it time for this thread to be dusted off ?????
PartyBear
How old is that list. I may have missed it but I don't see Beard there. I think he was making about 5 mil a year at Tech which would put him 3 on the list just with Tech's figures.
fredbear
Salary lists never are accurate for BU. As a private institution, BU does not reveal salaries. The numbers obtained always compare BU salaries TWO years old with current salaries of state university coaches. They have to rely on old tax records for BU numbers. So I question those numbers. Also, Drew has had chances to leave for more money before and stayed put. Mizou a step down, clearly. Rest assured, he will get appropriate raise after this year. Art B and Kim M salaries show BU is more than willing to pay market prices.
BearTruth13
Drew will be making $5M plus after this year. Win or lose tomorrow.

Those making decisions are going to reward him for what he has built. And he has proven (to himself and the administration) that he can win at the highest level here.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.