Scott Drew's contract

9,832 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by boognish_bear
TWD 1974
How long do you want to ignore this user?
fredbear said:

Salary lists never are accurate for BU. As a private institution, BU does not reveal salaries. The numbers obtained always compare BU salaries TWO years old with current salaries of state university coaches. They have to rely on old tax records for BU numbers. So I question those numbers. Also, Drew has had chances to leave for more money before and stayed put. Mizou a step down, clearly. Rest assured, he will get appropriate raise after this year. Art B and Kim M salaries show BU is more than willing to pay market prices.
Happy to see Drew get a raise/extension as it is well deserved. I am more concerned with the staff. Based on his tenure and success with the defense, Tang should be in the top 10 assistant coaches $$ wise.
EvilTroyAndAbed
PartyBear said:

How old is that list. I may have missed it but I don't see Beard there. I think he was making about 5 mil a year at Tech which would put him 3 on the list just with Tech's figures.
The first post said the list came from 2018, I'm assuming before Beard got the boost. Amazing that in that short of a time he would get catapulted to third. He's a great coach, but still.
BearTruth13
EvilTroyAndAbed said:

PartyBear said:

How old is that list. I may have missed it but I don't see Beard there. I think he was making about 5 mil a year at Tech which would put him 3 on the list just with Tech's figures.
The first post said the list came from 2018, I'm assuming before Beard got the boost. Amazing that in that short of a time he would get catapulted to third. He's a great coach, but still.

Last source, I could find had Beard at $4.5M (#5 overall). Drew was north of $3.3M (#16 overall).
jdrs
historian said:

True. But I think Drew's best years are ahead of him.

How right you were!
fredbear
Again, Drew's numbers are two years old on every chart, see above explanation.
Porteroso
Obviously he is getting a raise this year. Needs to be enough that nobody's money lures him away, but not some ridiculous lifetime contract. Auto renew for the tourney seems fair.

I am one who thinks college athletics is up on a ridiculous pedestal. Someone making 5m a year for coaching students is stupid, but not their fault. That's what society values. I guess I wish we valued cancer researchers like that, but whatever. I'm a little too happy to be mad about it right now. Not above a little seasonal hypocrisy myself!
gold rewards
I don't think any of us are.
Oldbear83
I hear you, but the thing I love most about Drew is that he is authentic in his faith and character. If all we cared about was a coach who lived and worked in a way that did Baylor proud, we could not find a better candidate than Scott Drew.
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
BaylorRocks
Porteroso said:

Obviously he is getting a raise this year. Needs to be enough that nobody's money lures him away, but not some ridiculous lifetime contract. Auto renew for the tourney seems fair.

I am one who thinks college athletics is up on a ridiculous pedestal. Someone making 5m a year for coaching students is stupid, but not their fault. That's what society values. I guess I wish we valued cancer researchers like that, but whatever. I'm a little too happy to be mad about it right now. Not above a little seasonal hypocrisy myself!
Agree with you......but do keep in mind there are many in cancer medicine earning what most of these coaches (maybe not Top 5) are paid.
CorsicanaBear
I was good with making him Coach For Life years ago. What was our rationale for getting somebody who would produce as well as he had, and, as a bonus, would rep the school and its mission nearly as well?

Now that we are where we are, its time to insure he stays as long as he wants to stay. He's already done the impossible, what else might he do?
Illigitimus non carborundum
boognish_bear
Let's lock him down

Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.