Your All-Time Favorites Team

2,569 Views | 28 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Johnny Bear
Self Made Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Post your all time favorites team. Your favorite 5 players that YOU SAW play. I got to Waco after Terry Teagle and Vinnie Johnson, played, so they are not on my list.

Darryl Middleton - '84-88
Loved watching him play along with Michael Williams at the HOT Coliseum. He was the inside to Williams outside. That was a fun team to watch.

David Wesley - '89-92
Had that three-point shot where he would kick out his leg and the defender would knock him down so he get the FT's if he missed, or the and one if he made it. And then there was his monumental performance in the upset of Arkansas to keep them from moving up to #1

Terry Black - '99-01
High-flying and athletic. Forever etched into Baylor lore with his performance against Kansas in '01

Quincy Acy - '08-12
Legendary for his 10 dunks in one game against Texas. Got better every year he was here, and then went on to the NBA.

Mark Vital - '16 - Present
Maybe the most intense defensive play we've ever had. A beast on the boards and inside. Love his intensity and passion.

I know I didn't include many other great players, but these are my favorite five.
DanaDane
Cookie Sterns - 80s
Brian Skinner - 90s
Tweety Carter - mid/late oughts
Quincy Acy - early teens
Davion Mitchell - current
Tylerbear
Before it is all over I might like this team better than any other team in BU history
Osodecentx
Darrel Hardy belongs on that list
MrGolfguy
My Top 5 (or 7 ):
1. Terry Teagle ('79-'82)- In my opinion the best pure shooter to ever wear the green & gold; 54% career FG, (and he wasn't making layups & dunks), with the benefit of the 3 pt line he would have scored right at 3,000 points. I wish students during the 2000s could've watched him play to appreciate how good he was.

2. Melvin Hunt ('88-'91)- not a star, just a solid team player and better person who was a 2 year starter during the Iba years; he took a cheap, dirty elbow right in the mouth from some UT player one time that sidelined him a few games (adding to my horn hatred which was already near max levels).

3. Micheal Williams ('85-'88)- "Mr. Quick", very good PG on the really good '87-'88 team that made the NCAA tourney & broke Baylor's 40 year drought. Might still hold all time BU steals record?

4. Aaron Bruce ('05-'08) - highly skilled Aussie guard who came to BU right after the Patrick Dennehy tragedy when all other top players didn't even know BU existed; he had a great Frosh season avg over 18 pts.

5. Matt Sayman/Tommy Swanson/Terrence Thomas (roughly '02-'04)- you'll never find any more loyal Baylor Bears than these 3 guys. When they stood up after the Dennehy tragedy and announced they were staying, not bailing like the rest of the team, they cemented their places in my favorite BU hoopsters list.

Others just missing the list:
Tweety Carter ('06-'10)- great PG, always thought he was the key to the first Elite 8 team
Julius Denton ('89-'90)- solid scorer, played with David Wesley & Melvin Hunt; wished these guys played on better teams.
DeMarcus Minor ('00-'01) - i thought he was an under-appreciated guard, played with Terry Black & Wendell Greenleaf on the team that routed Kansas in BU's 1st ever 'Big Monday' game in '01.
Keyser Soze

Teagle - the best shooter, maybe my favorite game I attended was duel between him and Rice great Ricky Pierce)

James Stern - he partially get a nod for beating my ass in pickup games at BU

Michael Williams - Mr quick. trivia holds the NBA consecutive free throws made 97 in 1993

Quincy Acy - could watch his highlight of dunking vs Texas on a loop

David Wesley - solid
GruntTuff
William Chatmon

Vinnie Johnson

Tweetie Carter

Darryl Middleton

Michael Williams
GruntTuff
All of your choices are solid. I just had the benefit of watching live at the smoke filled HOT some great teams coached by Bill Menefee, with the great Carroll Dawson as his assistant coach, duel TCU for championships. Yes, TCU. Hard to believe.

Larry Gatewood, William Chatmon and others made us proud. The football team sat in portable bleachers on the floor under the basket and gave the opponents holy grief.

So much fun a long time ago.

3rd String Kicker
Tweety
Pierre
Rico
Bruce
Butler/Mitchell
Johnny Bear
Vinnie Johnson
Michael Williams
Terry Teagle
Quincy Acy
Ekpe Udoh
Keyser Soze
GruntTuff said:

All of your choices are solid. I just had the benefit of watching live at the smoke filled HOT some great teams coached by Bill Menefee, with the great Carroll Dawson as his assistant coach, duel TCU for championships. Yes, TCU. Hard to believe.

Larry Gatewood, William Chatmon and others made us proud. The football team sat in portable bleachers on the floor under the basket and gave the opponents holy grief.

So much fun a long time ago.

Old enough for plenty of games at HOT, but missed VJ

Best friend growing up went to A&M and we debated who had the crappiest hoops barn. I would always point out HOT in many ways really was a barn.

Remember beating a top 5 UT team on the night Wacker blew out his knee. The power out game. Phi Slamma Jamma (maybe the best hoops team to never win it all)
Reverend
VJ was on a level by himself.
I was at his first game at HOT. I think we were playing North Texas. They had no idea what he could do. We'd just give him the ball and then clear out and let him go one on one with the poor guy trying to guard him. Two or three dribbles and a dunk or or a fall away jumper.. I've never seen anything like it.
Teagle is a strong second. I was in Austin when he went off and Abe Lemons actually bowed down to him from the sideline.
JXL
Tweety Carter

Quincy Acy

Aaron Bruce

Micheal Williams

Mark Buchanan / Brady Heslip, three-point gunners from different eras.

KIA
Others not mentioned:

Aundre Branch
Willie Sublett - only player I've ever seen get 4 fouls in 2 and a half minutes.
Ivan Jones
Rico Gathers

Reverend
Tom Friedman. Beaten to a bloody pulp in front of thousands of screaming aggies at old G.Rollie White.
Max Quad
Reverend said:

VJ was on a level by himself.
I was at his first game at HOT. I think we were playing North Texas. They had no idea what he could do. We'd just give him the ball and then clear out and let him go one on one with the poor guy trying to guard him. Two or three dribbles and a dunk or or a fall away jumper.. I've never seen anything like it.
Teagle is a strong second. I was in Austin when he went off and Abe Lemons actually bowed down to him from the sideline.

Playing for the Detroit Pistons, Vinnie scored 21 points in one quarter of play against the Boston Celtics. It was a record for several years until some guy named LeBron James broke it.
RedBear05
Still really loved the first elite 8 team. Lead by Tweety, with 3s from Lace Dunn, and of course the big man Lomers!!!
setshot
The Fifties
Jerry Mallett

The Sixties
Darrell Hardy

The Seventies
VINNIE JOHNSON

The Eighties
Terry Teagle

The Nineties
David Wesley/Brian Skinner

The 21st Centuryt
(To Be Determined)
Udoh only played one year
Pierre Jackson was dynamic but was a bit one dimensional
Jared Butler is a work in progress, etc.
wambear
Was at Baylor during Vinnie Johnson and Terry Teagle. HOT game Vinnie versus the Arkansas triplets (moncrief, Delph and Brewer) was incredible. Vinnie would start dribbling back and forth top of the key just waiting. SWC had some great teams. Vinnie the best. Enjoyed watching Prince improve.
TenBears
Vinnie and Teagle were #1 and #2. Just no one around them to help. Vinnie is now a freaking tycoon up in Detroit. Wish I knew where Teagle is.

Tweety/Lace/lomers/udoh were hands down the best team.
Johnny Bear
notbubbleboy said:

Vinnie and Teagle were #1 and #2. Just no one around them to help.
Usually the best Jim Haller could do is recruit one legit star player and base his offense around the other 4 talentless players (for the most part) on the floor trying to get the ball to that star player. Vinnie Johnson was obviously the guy at one point, followed by Terry Teagle later. It made for a lot of memorable performances by whomever the "star" was at that point in time, but also translated to a lot of losses when facing a quality opponent capable of at least containing our one superstar player.
BearTruth13
Tweety - great leader and shooter; the glue that held our best team together
Pierre - scoring machine; plus it is rare to score a layup and then steal the inbounds pass. That level of hustle endeared him to me forever.
Acy - such a powerful player; made every team pay if they left him alone in the paint
Udoh - averaged like 5 blocks/game; defensive monster
Prince/Motley - great scoring big men; ability to create their own shots

That would be a scary team.
rudylaw
G - Tweety (all time favorite player)
G - Haggerty (was fun to watch for 15+ games a year in person)
F - Black (for the KU game alone)
F - Sublett (another favorite when I was on campus)
C - Freddie (his improvement is absolutely astonishing)

Not the best 5 but my favorite 5 based on a plethora of things.
LIB,MR BEARS
Vinnie
Teagle
Skinner
Black
Ekpe

transmit5by9
Few things in life were more fun than watching Vinnie Johnson and Terry Teagle almost single handedly destroy the uppity Whorn teams and their whiney fans in the HOTbox.
Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their country.
trumpetbear
Curtis Jerrells
Quincy Acy
PJax
Rico
Heslip
wambear
I was a freshman at Baylor playing pick up ball and this African American guy with a unusually high voice ask to get in the game. We said sure, he was shy and certainly not polished as a player. The second game he was dunking every other play and I had never seen anyone jump so high. We quickly told him he should try and play for Baylor. He said he was already on the team had come from a small school and was a little nervous. We said he would be fine. It was Terry Teagle. It also quickly killed any thoughts I had to walk on the team. A 6'2" white power forward was a very underappreciated player at that level.
SirBearALot
One year we had 5 or 6 of the all time top ten Baylor scorers on the same team for one year. Jerrels Tweety Dunn Dugat Bruce and the 6' 9" dude from Dallas..the year we beat the Aggies in 4 or 6 OTs. Jerrels shot 28 or more FTs.
Task Force 2015
Those of you that didn't get to see Sublett play,one fan had a sign that said"Don't foul Willie"and it kept track of his fouls.
Johnny Bear
SirBearALot said:

One year we had 5 or 6 of the all time top ten Baylor scorers on the same team for one year. Jerrels Tweety Dunn Dugat Bruce and the 6' 9" dude from Dallas..the year we beat the Aggies in 4 or 6 OTs. Jerrels shot 28 or more FTs.
It was 5 OT's against the Ags in Collie Station. One of the greatest games ever played in the Big 12.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.