MBB Is #1 in the Nation!

7,655 Views | 52 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by historian
McCavebear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Sic em Bears!

Keep it going!
McCavebear Lives!
McCavebear
I am so happy to see this!

https://apnews.com/APTop25CollegeBasketballPoll
McCavebear Lives!
Chamberman
Zag fans are going to be none too pleased. Win and fall.
gobears20
Staff
Great Baylor Merchandise -> https://bit.ly/2M8DuHk
Chamberman
Rutgers first time in Top 25 in eons.
jdrs
Would be cool for the Men and Women to be #1 at the same time.
gobears20
Staff
And then there is this guy lolol

Jesse Newell (@jessenewell) Tweeted:
Yes, that moves Baylor down to 4. Bears did nothing wrong (and actually improved in the advanced rankings I look at), but simply got passed by Gonzaga because of the Zags' great week. BU still 3,5,3,7,6 in the main rankings I use.

Great Baylor Merchandise -> https://bit.ly/2M8DuHk
Chamberman
Newell has KU at 1 and Duke at 2.
CizzLark
Everyone needs to find a way out to a game this season. Show them extra love and support.
Jorkel
Let's hope the #1 spot curse doesn't hit us
Johnny Bear
Well deserved and excited to see this. Hopefully from here things will play out differently (in a good way) than they did the last time we made it to number 1.
GoZags
Chamberman said:

Congratulations to Baylor MBB. I see nothing wrong with what the pollsters have done. Baylor is having a great season and is deserving of being #1.

There's still plenty of basketball to be played ... but right now Baylor deserves a huge "Attaboy(s)" ....
Ashley Hodge
Staff
more important than being #1 in the AP poll right now, we are also the #1 seed in Bracket Matrix's compilation.

http://www.bracketmatrix.com/

#1 in the NET which is more important because that is what the NCAA committee will use to determine seeding

https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/basketball-men/d1/ncaa-mens-basketball-net-rankings

If you are a #1 seed, we will likely be Omaha/St Louis for opening round and Houston for Sweet 16/Elite 8.

That's a potentially friendly draw to get to Atlanta for the Final 4

Just win baby... can be a special season if we take care of business and keep getting better.
Ashley Hodge
Staff
GoZags said:

Chamberman said:

Congratulations to Baylor MBB. I see nothing wrong with what the pollsters have done. Baylor is having a great season and is deserving of being #1.

There's still plenty of basketball to be played ... but right now Baylor deserves a huge "Attaboy(s)" ....

the two best developmental programs in the country. Congrats on your continued success.
EvilTroyAndAbed
Chamberman said:

Wait. Duke went 0-2 this week, and he has them at 3?
gone to Tickfaw
i hope the ferrell is packed tonight. overflowing. stuffed to the gills.
Stranger
I kinda liked us at number 2. Less conspicuous there. Now the whole country will be gunning for us.
ScottS
blackie
Jorkel said:

Yes, we know what happened the last time. At least this time, we are not going to Morgantown.
CHP Bear
As for Pete Newell, well there's always one. Sic'em Bears!
Chamberman
EvilTroyAndAbed said:

Chamberman said:

No, he has them ranked #2. 12 of his 25 picks are considered extreme.

https://collegepolltracker.com/basketball/pollster/jesse-newell/2019/week-12
EvilTroyAndAbed
Chamberman said:

EvilTroyAndAbed said:

Chamberman said:

He has a 10-8 Purdue team ranked 18th.
HoustonBear15
Stranger said:

I kinda liked us at number 2. Less conspicuous there. Now the whole country will be gunning for us.
There's really probably not much difference when being ranked #1 vs. #2 or even #3. When you are one of the top ranked teams, people will throw their best at you. Regardless if we stayed at #2, we are playing Big 12 teams who definitely know that we are #1 in the Big 12.
GoZags
HoustonBear15 said:

Stranger said:

There's really probably not much difference when being ranked #1 vs. #2 or even #3. When you are one of the top ranked teams, people will throw their best at you. Regardless if we stayed at #2, we are playing Big 12 teams who definitely know that we are #1 in the Big 12.
And although Big 12 is vastly superior from Top (or almost Top) to bottom, here's what happened last week.

Quote:

Baylor beat NET #82 Iowa State by 13 and beat NET #78 Oklahoma State by 7 (avg NET #80.0 win avg 10.0)

Zags beat NET #86 Santa Clara by 50 and NET #37 BYU by 23 (avg NET #61.5 win avg 36.5)

Something tells me there were voters looking at names on the front of the jerseys/leagues vs what actually happened on the floor.
CHP Bear
Jorkel said:

Still a tough schedule ahead. Big 12 and Kansas City makes for a daunting schedule. At this point BU has played up to #1 standards and has a legit basketball team. We may not end up number 1 but we are in the equation.
BellCountyBear
Jorkel said:

It did the last time we achieved it at the hands of West Virginia. It was brutal.
fubar
GoZags said:

And although Big 12 is vastly superior from Top (or almost Top) to bottom, here's what happened last week.

Quote:

Baylor beat NET #82 Iowa State by 13 and beat NET #78 Oklahoma State by 7 (avg NET #80.0 win avg 10.0)

Zags beat NET #86 Santa Clara by 50 and NET #37 BYU by 23 (avg NET #61.5 win avg 36.5)

Something tells me there were voters looking at names on the front of the jerseys/leagues vs what actually happened on the floor.

If you simply isolate Gonzaga and Baylor, for one week, this is a good analysis.

But what I think happened is that Baylor benefited more from the Duke and Auburn losses than did Gonzaga.
Gunter gleiben glauchen globen
BUbackerinET
Well earned, Congratulations! Let's hold on to it!
boognish_bear
WTH?

DST
Chamberman said:

EvilTroyAndAbed said:

Chamberman said:

Called it. Said he'd vote KU #1. He's trying to use KenPom to justify his rankings (and biases). He knows it's getting him recognition. Total jackass move, and honestly AP should rescind his vote. There's being contrarian, but he's straight up letting predetermined analytics cast his ballot for him, which goes against the spirit of a poll.
Chamberman
BellCountyBear said:

Jorkel said:

It did the last time we achieved it at the hands of West Virginia. It was brutal.
You mean the only other time we achieved it.
boognish_bear
Our team deserves it....so scrappy and hardworking....

But big picture.... I just want to hang around the top five and secure a number one seed heading into the tournament
xiledinok
The most important stat is the standings. Don't need #1 rankings, NET Rating, KenPom, or Fat Jack to tell me Bears are #1. Winning the Big 12 championship in basketball would be an outstanding accomplishment for a school with our basketball pedigree. The new fieldhouse could use a few more banners for opening night.
Chamberman
Goals in order:
Win the conference first.
Win the Big 12 Tourney, next.
Get the number one seed.
boognish_bear
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.