Six Games in Assessment

901 Views | 1 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by historian
CST Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Hey guys...bored enough to finally get some posting in after reading this forum religiously for three years.

Quick take:

We're only as good as Butler allows us to be. We can win without him (or when he goes ice cold like last night) but we're elite when he (and others) play at a high level.

Our man to man defense is the best we've ever played on that side of the ball in the Drew era and it's not even close. We seem perfectly fine needing our d to make key stops down the stretch in several close games.

Our guards are talented but erratic shooters. I think Teague, Butler and Mitchell combined to go 11-38 last night and that really has become relatively 'normal' lately. Why can't we get more shots from Freddie who shoots at SUCH a higher percentage.

Bandoo = Vinnie Johnson. Love that guy.

We don't turn the ball over as much as some Drew teams of yesteryear but we're still very average at fast breaks in transition (I have nary a statistic to prove this).

SicEm!

Just remember it could always be worse (Sloan, Stanton, Steele)
Johnny Bear
While I completely agree Bandoo is a valuable weapon off the bench, being old enough to remember Vinnie Johnson at BU, I really don't get the comparison between the two. First of all VJ was a starter at BU that played as many minutes as possible because at the time he was the only legit star on the team. The whole "microwave" thing developed later when he was a potent sixth man for the Detroit Pistons in the NBA. Also, when VJ played it was of course a completely different era with no three point shot and a lot of his game was the ability to shake and bake and create an open 10 to 12 foot shot for himself, or a drive to the rim for a dunk. Putting up a lot of 10 to 12 foot shots became obsolete with the advent of the three-point line. Bandoo is no doubt an outstanding sixth man for this team and is mainly valuable as a three point shooter with some respectable dribble drive capabilities as well. Glad we have him and he fills that role well (for one thing we'd have a bad loss to OSU right now without him) but I don't see or think of Vinnie Johnson when watching him play - in spite of what Fran Frischilla thinks (and I have a lot of respect for Fran Friscilla's opinions).
historian
Towards the end of the game last night, I kept looking at the stats on display in the Ferrell Center and noticed that the Sooners had better numbers in most categories. It was disappointing on the one hand that we were having such an off day (I think the pressure of being #1 was having an impact). Also, as noted, Butler had an off day. On the other hand, the Bears out rebounded the Sooners by a sizable margin. And the fact that they kept grinding and worked through adversity means something. They won despite it all.

We definitely a championship caliber team capable of winning many more games this season.

Sic Florida!
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.