Story Poster
Photo by @Scott Sewell
Baylor Basketball

Baylor 73, KSU 67: Podcast & Postgame Thoughts

February 3, 2020

#1 Baylor (20-1; 9-0) defeats Kansas State (9-13; 2-7) 73-69 at the Octagon of Doom in Manhattan,  Kansas.  The Bears get a few days of rest before facing Oklahoma State in Waco Saturday at 5pm CST.  

Observations

• An ugly, physical game which is typical for Kansas State.  There were 42 fouls and 48 free throw attempts, but the Bears were able to control the game from start to finish.  They never trailed in the contest.  
  • Good to see Jared Butler shooting the ball well- 20 points on 12 shot attempts.  Anything over 1.5 points per shot attempt is good.  Vital, Butler, Teague and Mitchell all accomplished that.  
  • Baylor only turned it over 14 times but the 4 guards were responsible for 12 of those turnovers.  They need to do a better job against pressure going forward.  
  • Free throw shooting was really bad for the Bears.  Left A LOT of points on the table (16-29) but also missed some front ends of 1 and 1s.  If they shoot 80%, this is a double digit victory and the gamblers that bet on Baylor are happy.  
  • The defense was good when it needed to be but some definite lapses against a pretty bad offensive team.  I want to hold them under 50 in Waco.  
  • Mark Vital was my MVP... he was a positive force tonight.  5 points; 6 rebounds; 4 assists; 3 steals and only 1 turnover.  
  • Davion Mitchell, Macio Teague and Jared Butler all had solid games.  Mitchell with 7 assists and only 2 turnovers was great.  He hit a big 3 pointer as well.  
  • Freddie didn’t have one of his better games but he battled as usual.  Tristan Clark gave Scott Drew some good minutes.  
  • Lots to work on to play at a higher level.  The Bears didn’t play their best but still won by a comfortable margin.  
  • You can’t go 38-1 until you go 21-1, beat Oklahoma State!  Kansas is not slipping up, the Bears cannot afford to either.  

This article is sponsored by Centex Bookkeeping.

Discussion from...

Baylor 73, KSU 67: Podcast & Postgame Thoughts

2,521 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by BluesBear
setshot
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I think that there was a team-wide conspiracy to see if they could not drive me out of my mind, and they almost succeeded.
boognish_bear
BluesBear
We really need better play from TC - I think Drew has really manage well to the game flow with his subs but it's a large drop-off when Vital goes out - Mayer or TC just don't cover with the intensity.

I counted 4 "bogus" turnovers against the bears so those numbers are not that bad with the amount of passing/possession play we run on offense. (like the "you step out of bounds" call towards the end of the game...really - he wasn't even close)

It's an awful place to play - so proud of the team to respond the way they did. They really didn't look frazzled....sure the "we've got this coach" expression wasn't making Drew happy at times.

It was a quick turnaround from our game on Saturday - so nice long break before our next game.

Let's pack the house for our remaining Home Games...
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.