A dude ran a computer model to predict the NCAA champ

3,719 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by historian
ScottS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
CTbruin
If they played the games on the computer, then Rice might win
RedBear05
I don't think Kansas will even make the final 4. They will most likely choke in the 2nd round or the elite eight round like they do most years.
historian
As long as Baylor makes it to the Final Four, I'm OK with that. However, it would be cool to play them a 4th time in Atlanta.
Jack Bauer
What Duke team is the computer using, the one with Grant Hill?
jrock42
Kansas is much better defensively this year than their last several years though.
wuzzybear
Jack Bauer said:

What Duke team is the computer using, the one with Grant Hill?
They took the greatest all time Duke players and used that team on the computer.

G - JJ Redick
G - Bobby Hurley
F - Christian Laettner
F- Shane Battier
C - Zion Williamson

...coming in off the bench:
Johnny Dawkins
Jason Williams
Danny Ferry

...shedding their walking canes, playing with an IV:
Dick Groat
Art Heyman

Result: 10.8% chance of winning it all in 2020
Dia del DougO
Here is the computer model he used.

"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool."
BluesBear
I'd bet money that Duke won't make it out of the second round.
Reverend
We would beat Kansas in a 7 game series. No idea about the others.
DanaDane
When he ran his CFP model, it had OU winning more times than Clemson, Ohio St. or LSU. How'd that work out for him?
historian
Nice to see teams Baylor beat fairly high on that list. Several Big 12 teams are far down the list, though. Most surprising to me was the size of the gap between #2 (Baylor) and #3 (Dayton).
wuzzybear
We always get snubbed in every dang computer model. Just more motivation as if we need any. Until we can produce year in and out like KU we ain't gonna get no respect.
BUbackerinET
I don't see Wake Forrest in there. What's up with that?
CHP Bear
Dude left out 1965 UCLA Freshman Basketball Team. Back in the day Frosh couldn't play on Varsity only Sophs and above. Texas Western (eventual National Champs), Kentucky and the like would have all been sucking eggs against the Bruin Freshman. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Lew Alcindor), Lynn Shackleford, Kenny Heitz, Luciau Allen went on to win 3 Nationals. But NCAA got even. Remember the Alcindor rule, outlawed the dunk, and no 3 point shot. That was also the year, Pauley was dedicated. Freshman vs Varsity (previous 2 years National Champs), Frosh destroyed Varsity. At games conclusion UCLA had two #1 teams headed to the locker room at the same time.
EatMoreSalmon
The app he used must have had extra in-game charges to use Duke.
Jack Bauer
Even in the computer game, Coach K walks off the court like a brat when they lose.
4th and Inches
So now we know this guy is bad at creating stat models...
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
ScottS
He reran it...
whitetrash
ScottS said:

He reran it...

He might want to rerun it again if he saw how crappy Maryland looked last night, until Minnesota looked even crappier.
Stranger
Reverend said:

We would beat Kansas in a 7 game series. No idea about the others.

Do we get to play them five more times this season?
I'm a Bearbacker
historian
At least once more and some are suggesting we will play them in Atlanta too. I think we could beat them in KC. We just have to figure out how to stop Bazooka (good nickname) or shoot better free throws. If either of those features had been a little bit better on Saturday, we would have swept them this year.

As for Atlanta, the same should apply but that's an entirely different issue. First things first.
wuzzybear
historian said:

At least once more and some are suggesting we will play them in Atlanta too. I think we could beat them in KC. We just have to figure out how to stop Bazooka (good nickname) or shoot better free throws. If either of those features had been a little bit better on Saturday, we would have swept them this year.

As for Atlanta, the same should apply but that's an entirely different issue. First things first.
Thanks about the nickname cuz I couldn't spell or say it but Bazooka is pretty easy. You nailed it. Looking back to the Waco contest there were so many times we let a possession get away. Teague missed at least 2 wide open 3's and Davion was just horrible as a shooter. He does most things right and you gotta have him for his D, but I guess he is a streak shooter. Don't get me started on FT's.

Macio Teague is the difference maker. When he is dialed in and hot we are unstoppable. The problem for us with KU is that not only do you have to play good D you better bring your A+ (not A-) game on offense. Offense, defense and special teams aka transition all matter now.
historian
I wish I could take the credit, but I saw it somewhere on another thread and it stuck: it sounds similar (easier) and it's appropriate considering how many times he dunked last Saturday.
ScottS
It seems like his model should work better than this. Hear me out. He had this model and ran it 10,000 times. However, it seems no different than the polls. A top notch model should predict the finals and not have to change each week based on the way the wind is blowing.
historian
It does not matter which crystal ball you use, it's still guess work. The computer model might be educated guess work, but it's still just guessing. Didn't some scientists use computer models to predict that Global Warming would cause mass starvation by 1990? When that didn't happen, they upped the date to 2015. Oops.

I might not remember the details correctly, but the point remains: computer models can only do so much. They cannot predict the future because there are too many variables. March Madness is called March Madness for a reason and it's not all about fan enthusiasm.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.