Next years expectation

4,450 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Johnny Bear
IowaBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Now that this seasons sadly over what's everyone's expectations for next year? I for one have sky high expectations assuming we can get scoring from the post. I think will see Mayer take another big step forward. Flagler will have a big year. And Turner could surprise. I've said before many times I'm bullish on Dain. He will be the deciding factor on just how good this team will be even as a freshman.
Johnny Bear
Barring things like out of left field surprises (as in someone unexpectedly leaving early for the NBA draft, etc.) and injuries, I think we've got a great chance to be even better next season, especially on the offensive end. Gillespie and Bandoo will be missed, but with the guys we had sitting out this season Along with the impressive recruiting class coming in I'm confident that slack will be taken up. Hopefully the coronavirus hysteria won't destroy everything between now and next season.
IowaBear
I'm hoping we chase the grad transfer big from Quinnipiac. I don't trust our bigs at all. I trust Dain more then any big on our roster right now
Johnny Bear
Clark remains an enigma but I'm hoping he can consistently go next season. If he can't he prolly needs to hang it up. Who knows about Flo - obviously improved little between his freshman & sophomore seasons. I'm also hopeful about Dain making an immediate impact, plus we've got the big that transferred from UNLV and another 7 foot frosh who is supposed to be good. I think we'll at least be okay in the post and we should be even stronger at the guard position.
IowaBear
The post will have depth o just worry about a constant scoring threat. This is no knock on Clark but I do t trust him at all. He's a shell of who he was as a player. The other big Loveday in a few years will be really good too!
bear2be2
IowaBear said:

I'm hoping we chase the grad transfer big from Quinnipiac. I don't trust our bigs at all. I trust Dain more then any big on our roster right now
Barring a surprise departure, we don't have any scholarships remaining. We're at 13.
IowaBear
bear2be2 said:

IowaBear said:

Barring a surprise departure, we don't have any scholarships remaining. We're at 13.

There's always that one surprise and I'm sure this off-season will be no different. Maybe Thamba, who knows but I'm sure they'll be some shake up
EvilTroyAndAbed
We certainly have the potential to win 25+ in the regular season, but I'm more interested in making another run at a conference championship and playing well at the end of the year. Michigan State was preseason No. 1, and they slipped early, but by the end of the season, they were really playing well. Villanova, who we beat, was clicking as well.

I don't expect us to win 23 in a row, but I expect us to battle Kansas again for the conference championship and hopefully be a 1 or 2 seed in the NCAA Tournament.
Jorkel
We should have a good season again. Probably a second place finish in the big 12 behind Kansas. 25+ wins
BUbackerinET
Rumors are out there that Clark is looking to transfer - just rumors, but from fairly reliable sources
IowaBear
Wouldn't surprise me if he does but his impact will be minimal unless he gets over the mental block. I see no reason why we can't dethrone KU next year.
Jorkel
IowaBear said:

Wouldn't surprise me if he does but his impact will be minimal unless he gets over the mental block. I see no reason why we can't dethrone KU next year.

We should have won it this year
Baylorbears1216
Next year should be another great year. The biggest question to me is the ability for one of our bigs to step up on defense. Other than Freddie, the bigs struggled to defend in man-to-man when there was a switch. If a big can step up, it will be another special year.
OsoVerde
Freddie is going to be missed on the defensive end. I think we will take a step back on that end of the floor, and that will cost us some games.
IowaBear
OsoVerde said:

Freddie is going to be missed on the defensive end. I think we will take a step back on that end of the floor, and that will cost us some games.

I've heard the UNLV kid is good defensively. However my biggest concern is getting a legit post scoring threat. This is where Dain will come into play.
IowaBear
Jorkel said:

IowaBear said:

Absolutely should have. That said I think will be even better next year.
OsoCirujano
Are we certain that Freddie and Bandoo are gone? Is the possibility of extra year of eligibility from corona virus still a possibility?
bear2be2
Jorkel said:

IowaBear said:

Based on what? Kansas just posted the best record in Big 12 history and finished the season as the overall No. 1 seed.

We were really good this year, but Kansas' resume was objectively better, and at the end of 30-plus games, you are what your resume says you are.
Jorkel
bear2be2 said:

Jorkel said:

IowaBear said:

Based on what? Kansas just posted the best record in Big 12 history and finished the season as the overall No. 1 seed.

We were really good this year, but Kansas' resume was objectively better, and at the end of 30-plus games, you are what your resume says you are.

Nah we should have..don't lose to TCU and WVU
IowaBear
Jorkel said:

bear2be2 said:

Jorkel said:

IowaBear said:

Bingo!!! 15-3 is WONDERFUL. That said we should have beat those 2 plain an simple. Great year! Next year we could/should be even better
Johnny Bear
BUbackerinET said:

Rumors are out there that Clark is looking to transfer - just rumors, but from fairly reliable sources
If true, that's pretty puzzling. I know players transfer for all kinds of reasons, but in Clark's case my assumption is if he can finally overcome recurring injury issues (granted a big "if") and stay on the court, the starting post position going into next season is his to lose. If he still can't consistently go, then that issue is going to go with him wherever he goes if he transfers, so again I don't see where it would make logical sense.
EvilTroyAndAbed
IowaBear said:

It's physical. Maybe some mental, but no way was he ever 100 percent physically this season.
DanaDane
Jon Rothstein of CBS has us at #3, behind Gonzaga and Villanova, on his early preview Top 45 for next year. He has KU #4.
IowaBear
If Clark is his old self there's no reason this team can't win it all next year. Big if, but ya never know. Maybe he gets it together and gives us 13/6 next year
bear2be2
Jorkel said:

bear2be2 said:

Jorkel said:

IowaBear said:

Both of those teams kicked our ass in the second half. Fans have a long history of claiming their teams should have won games they didn't, but we were thoroughly outplayed in both of those.

Beyond a bogus fan claim that we should have won those games because, I struggle to see how you can justify saying we should have won either based on the way the teams played those days.

Kansas was better and more consistent than us this season. It sucks to say that in the best season in our program's history, but it doesn't make it any less true. And frankly, it says a lot more about Kansas than it does us.
IowaBear
How's his claim bogus? We were up in TCU by 12 early in the second and did our typical 6-8 min drought of terrible offense and no defense. The TCU loss is inexcusable. Slice it however you want Baylor was VASTLY superior to them. We just crapped all over ourselves that game.
BUbackerinET
Agree, but those rumors are out there
Jorkel
IowaBear said:

How's his claim bogus? We were up in TCU by 12 early in the second and did our typical 6-8 min drought of terrible offense and no defense. The TCU loss is inexcusable. Slice it however you want Baylor was VASTLY superior to them. We just crapped all over ourselves that game.

Outside of Baylor and Kansas, the big 12 was absolutely garbage this year. We should have never lost to any of those weak teams. Not as good as we were.
IowaBear
And I don't see the big 12 being much better next year. ISau and KSU will be awful again. TCU loses a lot, okie st loses 3 starters. We should have every opportunity to rack up wins in conference next year
BearFan33
I heard Drew mention Butler's name as a possible loss to NBA. What are the chances of that?
Johnny Bear
Jorkel said:

IowaBear said:

Outside of Baylor and Kansas, the big 12 was absolutely garbage this year. We should have never lost to any of those weak teams. Not as good as we were.
I agree there was decided drop off beyond KU and BU this season, but I still wouldn't describe the rest of the conference as "garbage". WVU was pretty Jeckyll and Hyde depending on whether they were at home or not (at least somewhat influenced by the usual different way refs called fouls on them at home and on the road) and TTech had its moments although they were clearly inconsistent. There was even more drop off after those two and yes, the bottom of the conference (KSU, OSU and ISU) was garbage. While like everybody I was disappointed with the 3 conference losses, the only one I felt was "inexcusable" was the TCU loss - although our poor free throw shooting in all 3 was also frustrating. In an average year a 15-3 conference record wins the title outright or at least wins a share of the title. It sucks the season we do that well is a season when KU was good enough to set an all time record for conference wins in the B12.
Johnny Bear
BearFan33 said:

I heard Drew mention Butler's name as a possible loss to NBA. What are the chances of that?
He'll do whatever he decides to do but IMO he needs another collegiate season before he's ready for the NBA. While I fully appreciate his immense talent and what he did for the team this year, appears to me he was a bit too "streaky" on the offensive end - at times looking unstoppable and at times not being able to hit the side of a barn - to be ready for the NBA. He might want to have a talk with Quincy Miller before making the leap.
BearFan33
Johnny Bear said:

BearFan33 said:

He'll do whatever he decides to do but IMO he needs another collegiate season before he's ready for the NBA. While I fully appreciate his immense talent and what he did for the team this year, appears to me he was a bit too "streaky" on the offensive end - at times looking unstoppable and at times not being able to hit the side of a barn - to be ready for the NBA. He might want to have a talk with Quincy Miller before making the leap.
I certainly agree. But if he goes, as ill advised as it may be, it will lower my expectations some for the 2021 Bears.
IowaBear
He's no where near ready! Would be a huge mistake on his part to leave early.
Stefano DiMera
This is where u lose me. Ok State will be much better..you see how they ended season? And have one of if not the top recruit in nation.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.