Can Baylor be 2018 Nova or 2019 Virginia?

1,248 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by IowaBear
Ashley Hodge
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
Lots of parallels between those teams and what could be for the Baylor team this upcoming year.

Some things to consider...

Villanova

returned nucleus of backcourt from year before: Brunson, Booth (hurt previous year), Bridges, Divincenzo like Baylor could (Mitchell, Butler, Teague), Flagler (sat out as redshirt).

had a preseason All-American (Brunson) as Baylor would have one in Butler...

Ashley Hodge
Staff
similarities to Virginia may be a little stronger. Virginia was great defensively in 2018 but not as strong offensively (30th KenPom). But then took a big leap offensively (top 5) in their national title year due to the talented backcourt that had such great chemistry (Guy, Jerome).

we will look different in the frontcourt than these two teams... but lots of similarities to those backcourts if all of our guys come back.

The good thing is both of those teams put 4-5 guys off those championship teams in the NBA which I know is the goal of all college basketball players at this level.
Ashley Hodge
Staff

These numbers are probably way off. First, I expect really big contributions from JTT. And I wouldn't be surprised if one of the freshmen contribute. Seems like Turner and Thamba are a year away from really contributing in a big way. JTT is going to be a factor for sure. But just a model of what could be if our guys all improve their efficiency numbers offensively like Nova and Virginia did from previous years to their championship squads.
Chamberman
Depends on Clark...can he live up to his original potential?
DanaDane
We have a shot to win it all next year if everyone returns and a combination of Clark and any of the newcomers can provide just "adequate" length, D and occasional scoring. The beauty is that you basically have 20 fouls to use between Clark, Thamba, Dainja and the former UNLV kid so you can be as physical and intimidating as you want to be.
historian
If Mayer keeps improving the way he did from 2019 to 2020 then he will be something special. We already so quite a bit of that this year--in spurts. I'd love to see him excel and maybe give us some of what we are losing with Gillespie.
IowaBear
I'm not really seeing the Virginia comparison. For one they had 3 NBA guards. Secondly they played elite defense whistle to whistle for an entire season. Believe they held like 3 straight teams under 45 at one point. Baylor plays GREAT defense in spurts. And our guards are very good! Not sure I see 3 NBA guards
Ashley Hodge
Staff
IowaBear said:

I'm not really seeing the Virginia comparison. For one they had 3 NBA guards. Secondly they played elite defense whistle to whistle for an entire season. Believe they held like 3 straight teams under 45 at one point. Baylor plays GREAT defense in spurts. And our guards are very good! Not sure I see 3 NBA guards
are you considering Deandre Hunter a guard? I don't think Ty Jerome, Kyle Guy or Deandre Hunter were considered sure fire NBA players going into that season.

I think a host of Baylor players have a shot at the NBA. I don't want to limit any of them because we've seen what's happened to Freddie Gillespie.

Tristan Clark (if fully healthy), Mark Vital (if he can shoot it at a decent rate), Jared Butler, Macio Teague, Davion Mitchell, Matt Mayer all have a shot.

We will see about JTT, Flagler, Cryer, Loveday and Dainja.

Obviously it is hard to make the NBA and the odds are against them to some degree, but it would not shock me at all if we have 3-4 guys from this next year's team on an NBA roster especially if they win the national title and are allowed to showcase their skills.

According to KenPom, this past year's Baylor team (88.2) played better D than the Virginia (89.2) national title team and a lot better than the Villanova title team (94.0). The lower the better. The question is can Baylor's offense get into the top 5 while keeping the D at a high level? I think it can if Butler returns.
historian
Next season will be more fun than last season!
IowaBear
Ashley Hodge said:

IowaBear said:

are you considering Deandre Hunter a guard? I don't think Ty Jerome, Kyle Guy or Deandre Hunter were considered sure fire NBA players going into that season.

I think a host of Baylor players have a shot at the NBA. I don't want to limit any of them because we've seen what's happened to Freddie Gillespie.

Tristan Clark (if fully healthy), Mark Vital (if he can shoot it at a decent rate), Jared Butler, Macio Teague, Davion Mitchell, Matt Mayer all have a shot.

We will see about JTT, Flagler, Cryer, Loveday and Dainja.

Obviously it is hard to make the NBA and the odds are against them to some degree, but it would not shock me at all if we have 3-4 guys from this next year's team on an NBA roster especially if they win the national title and are allowed to showcase their skills.

According to KenPom, this past year's Baylor team (88.2) played better D than the Virginia (89.2) national title team and a lot better than the Villanova title team (94.0). The lower the better. The question is can Baylor's offense get into the top 5 while keeping the D at a high level? I think it can if Butler returns.

To the last question, absolutely. But only if we have legit low post scoring, especially when our guards our slumping. If Clark is healthy and himself this team can win it all and dominate doing so. Big if but nonetheless possible
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.