No AP COY for Drew

3,157 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BaylorRocks
whitetrash
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Gave it to Anthony Grant, because they ran through a schedule of mediocre mid majors and almost nearly sorta kinda came close to beating KU.
BearFan33
Frustrating....If we had finished stronger I think Drew gets it for sure.
CHP Bear
Who is Anthony? Now and in the future people will still be asking that question. Drew, he'll be remembered for his outstanding season. Just can't deny his and teams accomplishments this year. Got to remember there are anti BU voters when it comes to BU. Not an excuse - reality. Not saying all are bias to BU. Just enough to skew the results in their favor. Maybe award givers should give category awards. Like P5, Mid-Major on down the line. Not sure that would have helped Drew. Many voters were talking/writing rave reviews about Self at seasons end. Then began to turn tail and run when NCAA turned the headlights on and exposed KUs underbelly. Question, so all the those expert talking heads mouthing off about strength of schedule, etc. wasted their breath?
BUbackerinET
Travesty - Drew far and away earned and deserved this award
Johnny Bear
BearFan33 said:

Frustrating....If we had finished stronger I think Drew gets it for sure.
That may well be what kept him from getting it. Not at all fair or right, but there's no getting around that it's a "what have you done for me lately" type world.
BUbackerinET
But wait, I thought the universal question was always the infamous: "body of work."
CHP Bear
BUbackerinET said:

But wait, I thought the universal question was always the infamous: "body of work."
Yes it was.
Stefano DiMera
Fired at Alabama...drops down a level and succeeds.

Shaka should take note.
Timbear
The end of the season matters. Going 2-3 at the end mattered. Regardless of injuries, the team was tired and worn out, and couldn't finish strong. Drew paid the individual career price, whether or not he could have coached better, no one knows. In the last several years, Drew is known for end of season disappointments. He's a great guy and a conmitted Christian, which we all appreciate.
Bear8084
Timbear said:

The end of the season matters. Going 2-3 at the end mattered. Regardless of injuries, the team was tired and worn out, and couldn't finish strong. Drew paid the individual career price, whether or not he could have coached better, no one knows. In the last several years, Drew is known for end of season disappointments. He's a great guy and a conmitted Christian, which we all appreciate.
Only in the heads of our rivals.
EvilTroyAndAbed
Timbear said:

He still should have won over Grant. If you disagree, then you're just a Drew hater.

Oh wait. You already are. Carry on.
EvilTroyAndAbed
Amazing that voters don't understand that without the Player of the Year (from Dayton), the Coach of the Year (from Dayton) won't be in the top 10 next year. Maybe you vote for another coach who doesn't have the Player of the Year on their team.

It's also easy for Dayton to finish strong. They didn't play anybody their final 10 games. If we go by this logic, Chris Beard should have won Coach of the Year at Arkansas-Little Rock for going undefeated in the Sun Belt.
whitetrash
EvilTroyAndAbed said:

Amazing that voters don't understand that without the Player of the Year (from Dayton), the Coach of the Year (from Dayton) won't be in the top 10 next year. Maybe you vote for another coach who doesn't have the Player of the Year on their team.

It's also easy for Dayton to finish strong. They didn't play anybody their final 10 games. If we go by this logic, Chris Beard should have won Coach of the Year at Arkansas-Little Rock for going undefeated in the Sun Belt.
Guy Lewis won AP COY in 1983 with Phi Slama Jama. Most pundits said the only coaching he did that year was make sure the balls were properly inflated, then roll them out on to the court at the start of practice.
BUbackerinET
You're right, Evil Troy - he's a hater
BaylorRocks
The national media has hated and worked against Baylor since 2015, period.
Next question.
BUVA
And Dayton was ranked #1 for how long? SMH. At least didn't give it to Bill Self.
Baylor3216
zunooreo said:

The national media has hated and worked against Baylor since 2015, period.
Next question.

2015? You new around these parts?
bunation
Wise up.

The God-hating, morality-nose thumbing media "elite" (not) have either a subconscious or deafening aversion to all things seemingly moral or Christian.

Notice, Baylor didn't come close to winning March Madness on ANY of their simulations?!

Joke.

Shockingly, this is Coach Drew's FIRST big(10)12 coy honor. (...even when 30-7 in '11-''12!)

Huge Joke!

Rhule didn't win b(10)12 coy in '18.
Why?
Because Matt Campbell's record was 8-5, the EXACT SAME RECORD HE HAD IN '17 when he won coy!

Joke.

or
natl coy in '19

Joke.

CAB won ONLY 1 b(10)12 coy.

Huge Joke!
historian
It's a shame that our MBB & FB coaches don't get that kind of recognition but Kim Mulkey has loads--and she has earned them. I'm still hopeful for Scott Drew. He certainly deserves it and I think he may get it eventually--especially if 2019-20 is not an outlier but the beginning of a new trend. Eventually, he will get us a Big 12 title and to the Final Four.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
CHP Bear
BUbackerinET said:

Given "body of work" is subjective and didn't finish strong is the new norm, then no one should be given any awards until March Madness has ended. COY should be given to Final Four Winner. That would definitely cover both "body of work" and put "finish strong" in the rearview mirror. Currently the final polls crown #1 team after winning Final Four. That being the case COY could also be awarded to Final Four Winner. If nothing else all the subjective BS would be eliminated.
BaylorRocks
historian said:

It's a shame that our MBB & FB coaches don't get that kind of recognition but Kim Mulkey has loads--and she has earned them. I'm still hopeful for Scott Drew. He certainly deserves it and I think he may get it eventually--especially if 2019-20 is not an outlier but the beginning of a new trend. Eventually, he will get us a Big 12 title and to the Final Four.
They will. Its coming...when they rack up a decade straight of consecutive conference championships, 3 natty's, numerous 1st team All-Americans, etc.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.