Proposed seating at the new Pavillion

770 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by historian
gold rewards
How long do you want to ignore this user?
is estimated at 7500, but both the men and the women averaged above 7500 last year. I know this includes away games, but the men especially had quite a number of home games above 7500, as did the women. I also know some games are sparsely attended, but the men's Kansas game was at capacity (and was just fun). Is attendance being re-thought at the Pavillion?

I know this has been discussed in times past, ad nauseum, but I was just curious to know if it was being revisited. I also realize a lot of things have been put on hold for the moment, including this project.

After last year, I think 7500 is too low, particularly since we are expanding capacity at the university toward 20k. Against good competition, both the men and the women draw big.

Thoughts?
Chamberman
Keep it at 7,500.
Adriacus Peratuun
The problem with choosing a size is the changing "data set". For decades, Waco failed to grow in any appreciable way. But in the last decade, Waco grew by 11.6%. Will that trend continue, will it grow, or will the rate revert back to historical norms? Can Baylor reach the new inhabitants at the same rate as current inhabitants? Or is it higher or lower? Will COVID expand a swing in population migration back to smaller cities? Can Waco become a retirement hub [good medical services, affordable living, inexpensive housing, university centered activities, etc]?

Right now seems to be a very difficult time to be making long term decisions on facility max capacity.
MrGolfguy
I believe last year was the largest Avg attendance Baylor ever had (8,180), and the only other year Baylor avg'd over 7,500 was 2012 (7,900). From 2010-2020 Baylor's Avg attendance was 6,950. There were 7 seasons between 6,200 and 6,800.

And we all know these numbers are tickets sold not actual people in seats. There have been many games i've gone to over the past decade when i could see maybe 4k to 5K in the building and then would hear the announced attendance as 6,500.

My point is that i don't believe they are going to build a 10,000 seat arena when they only have 3-4 games per season (men & women combined) that need a building that large. A 7,500 seat arena works for 90% of the games played and they have the numbers to back that up.
historian
It's all about money--and the image on TV of a packed arena. If there are fewer seats, then some people won't be able to go but at least it will look good on TV with lots of butts in seats.

Hopefully they will design it so that it can be expanded if necessary, the way they did with McLane Stadium. If both MBB & WBB continue on current trends with great teams and lots of wins, more people will want to attend and 2019-20 won't be an outlier.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.