Big 12/SEC Challenge

2,292 Views | 28 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Big12Bear
gobears20
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
historian
I am eager to see the matchups. I don't think they have been announced. In fact, the only game that has been announced to my recollection is Gonzaga in December.

I don't expect the full schedule to be announced for several weeks. They are probably still working out the details and there are probably still some doubts as to how much of a season there will be.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
DanaDane
Wish it would be Kentucky or Tennessee, since they will be preseason Top 2 in the league.
historian
Not that preseason rankings are worth a drop of spit, I thought Baylor & Gonzaga were the top 2. At least that's what I read a few months ago.
Ashley Hodge
Staff
I would bet Arkansas or Auburn coming to Waco. Just a guess, no inside intel.
historian
It would be interesting for both Baylor teams to play Arkansas in the same year. I don't really care who it is so long as it's a good matchup.
fubar
DanaDane said:

Wish it would be Kentucky or Tennessee, since they will be preseason Top 2 in the league.
Hoping Tennessee and Coach P. Rick Barnes, in Waco.
Ashley Hodge
Staff
fubar said:

DanaDane said:

Hoping Tennessee and Coach P. Rick Barnes, in Waco.
would be awesome but they played a road game last year so they will get a home game
DanaDane
historian said:

Not that preseason rankings are worth a drop of spit, I thought Baylor & Gonzaga were the top 2. At least that's what I read a few months ago.

"In the LEAGUE" (the SEC, not the country). You read it too quickly.
historian
You're right. I overlooked it. But really, when it comes to MBB, is the SEC all that important? (Is it obvious that I don't like the SEC much?!) We were the underdog on the road at Florida back in January, despite being #1 in the nation, and dominated. I guess the media lovefest for SEC football spills over.

At least they do have some good WBB programs.
IowaBear
historian said:

You're right. I overlooked it. But really, when it comes to MBB, is the SEC all that important? (Is it obvious that I don't like the SEC much?!) We were the underdog on the road at Florida back in January, despite being #1 in the nation, and dominated. I guess the media loveliest for SEC football spills over.

At least they do have some good WBB programs.

Actually most NCAAB experts dog on the SEC it's just not a good basketball conference
EasyE
I would say, without doing much analysis, that the SEC and Big 12 are relatively comparable over the years. In fact, I might have to give an edge to the SEC with the past success of UK, Florida, and the recent emergence of Auburn and Tennessee. Oh, and I think South Carolina knocked us out of a chance to play for the Final Four as well.
IowaBear
EasyE said:

I would say, without doing much analysis, that the SEC and Big 12 are relatively comparable over the years. In fact, I might have to give an edge to the SEC with the past success of UK, Florida, and the recent emergence of Auburn and Tennessee. Oh, and I think South Carolina knocked us out of a chance to play for the Final Four as well.

Top to bottom it's really no comparison. And that's been noted. Yes SC had one good year. What else have they done? Nothing. Miss St LOL Ole Miss LOL Vandy DOUBLE LOL Arkansas LOL Alabama LOL AUBURN WAS TRASH UNTIL Pearl started buying recruits same with LSU. It's not a deep league at all
historian
I think it may be safe to say that Vandy, Kentucky & Tennessee have a reputation for decent basketball programs. Vandy has been in decline in recent years, I'm not sure about the others. I can see that I very much enjoyed watching Drew's squad get wins over Vandy & Kentucky in past years. I think those games are still on YouTube.
MrGolfguy
Any chance Baylor draws the Texas Aggies for this?
historian
MrGolfguy said:

Any chance Baylor draws the Texas Aggies for this?
We've played the Aggies a few times since they went to the SEC. Personally, I would love to see Baylor play them in the Ferrell Center. I've only seen a couple games, both in College Station and both were Baylor losses. I really want to see Baylor beat them.
EasyE
Same can be said of the Big 12 depending on the timeline you are using. To say that the Big 12 has been a far superior basketball league over the past 15 years would be inaccurate.
historian
For several years the Big 12 has been the toughest, most competitive conference. The double round robin schedule has something to do with it. Kansas is always going to be at or near the top and there are always several others that are competitive, although it's not always the same teams. Thankfully, Baylor has been one of those for several years now. With the scheduling format, no one can escape a team that is exceptionally good for 1-2 years. Everyone plays everyone else at home & on the road. In the SEC, if one team in the West has a really good year, there are some teams in the East who might slip by without playing them until post season. That matters.
IowaBear
EasyE said:

Same can be said of the Big 12 depending on the timeline you are using. To say that the Big 12 has been a far superior basketball league over the past 15 years would be inaccurate.

It's been the top league metric wise like 4 of the last 5 years. Sure if we go back 15 years it wasn't all that deep. Right now there's not a deeper league in America that's just a fact
historian
Isn't it normal, at least in recent years, for the Big 12 to get 60-70% of the teams into the NCAA tournament? That speaks volumes.
IowaBear
They recently got 80% of the league in if I remember right. It's not hard to see it's the best league top to bottom right now
gobears20
Staff
historian
Sounds about right:

in 2018 we beat Bama in January

last year we beat Florida in January

in 2020 we should beat ??? on January.

I really hope it's the Aggies, I know we've had some great wins over them but I had to watch the videos after the fact. The 2 Baylor games that I have attended were losses. It will be almost as great as every win over Texas in football, MBB, WBB, VB, or any other sport!
BAYLOR IRISHMAN
I'm anxious to see who we're playing. Last year the pairings came out in July.

https://big12sports.com/news/2019/7/25/211807672.aspx
historian
Me too! I'm anxious for the entire schedule--both MBB & WBB. Everything about this year is different but I'm hoping that COVID won't impact basketball as much. With a lot of luck, they will wait until the 2nd week of November to release the schedule and there will be no COVID impact with a schedule resembling any other year--except Baylor will start out #1 or #2.
Texasjeremy
AVERAGE SAGARIN RANKING - PAST 10 SEASONS

BIG 12
1. Kansas - 6.3
2. Baylor - 27.4
3. West Virginia - 39.2
4. Iowa State - 39.3
5. Texas - 40.3
6. Kansas State - 43.8
7. Oklahoma - 48.2
8. Oklahoma State 51.7
9. Texas Tech - 97.2
10. TCU - 113.7

SEC
1. Kentucky - 11.1
2. Florida - 19.0
3. Tennessee - 55.5
4. Alabama - 60.5
5. Arkansas - 60.9
6. Texas A&M - 70.0
7. Vanderbilt - 72.0
8. Mississippi - 72.6
9. Georgia - 75.5
10. Missouri - 81.4
11. LSU - 88.5
12. South Carolina - 95.1
13. Mississippi State - 108.0
14. Auburn - 113.1
Ashley Hodge
Staff
John Wooden Jr has been coaching Tech for 4 years and their numbers still look this bad? WOW

B12 > SEC overall though
Texasjeremy
AVERAGE SAGARIN RANKING - PAST 10 SEASONS (WEIGHTED SO THE MORE RECENT THE SEASON THE MORE ITS WEIGHTED)

BIG 12
1. Kansas - 6.3
2. Baylor - 23.2
3. West Virginia - 34.0
4. Oklahoma - 36.5
5. Texas - 40.5
6. Iowa State - 41.9
7. Kansas State - 48.4
8. Oklahoma State - 49.0
9. Texas Tech - 63.4
10. TCU - 82.8

SEC
1. Kentucky - 10.3
2. Florida - 21.5
3. Tennessee - 50.3
4. Arkansas - 51.5
5. Alabama - 62.7
6. Texas A&M - 65.5
7. LSU - 70.4
8. Georgia - 73.9
9. Mississippi - 74.5
10. South Carolina - 76.2
11. Auburn - 79.9
12. Vanderbilt - 83.6
13. Mississippi State - 86.5
14. Missouri - 90.7
MrGolfguy
Auburn it is
Big12Bear
MrGolfguy said:

Auburn it is
Davion Mitchell will be ready.

My first BU Hoops game was actually against Auburn in 95 or 96 at the old Dr Pepper Classic, featuring a young Brian Skinner.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.