Free throws

1,258 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Oldbear83
gobears20
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
Vs ULL 7-13 54%

Vs Washington 5-11 46%

It's early but we need to improve this stat especially in close games.
CTbruin
As well as we, as a team, shoot the ball, no worries
Baylorbears111
CTbruin said:

As well as we, as a team, shoot the ball, no worries

There will be close games that will be decided on part by free throws.
CTbruin
Of course there will be.

But I stand by my statement. When you shoot the ball like we do, I don't think free throws will be an issue.
IowaBear
CTbruin said:

Of course there will be.

But I stand by my statement. When you shoot the ball like we do, I don't think free throws will be an issue.

So you think going 5-11 Or 7-13 against a team like Illinois or Gonzaga or KU or WV won't be an issue? Whole lot of arrogance in that thought. You'll be eating humble pie if you actually believe that. A huge piece of humble pie at that
vanillabryce
Who shot the free throws? That matters more to me right now. Super small sample size.
IowaBear
vanillabryce said:

Who shot the free throws? That matters more to me right now. Super small sample size.

Agree with this. However if I remember we only had 2 guys over 75% last year and most everyone in the low to mid 60's. So BU struggling from the line isn't something new which is strange considering the amount of good shooters they have
CTbruin
IowaBear said:

CTbruin said:

Of course there will be.

So you think going 5-11 Or 7-13 against a team like Illinois or Gonzaga or KU or WV won't be an issue? Whole lot of arrogance in that thought. You'll be eating humble pie if you actually believe that. A huge piece of humble pie at that

And why do you insist on the insults? IMO free throws will not be a problem. That's it
fubar
CTbruin said:

Of course there will be.

It's a small sample size. Of the twelve FTs the team has missed, Thamba missed four, Mitchell missed three, and Vital missed two. Thamba and Vital have been bad FT shooters during their time at BU. Mitchell has been OK. I kinda doubt he became lousy since last year.

The critical thing will be having the right players on the floor at the right time, and I don't think this is a news flash for our staff.

That's a long-winded way of agreeing with you.
IowaBear
CTbruin said:

IowaBear said:

CTbruin said:

Of course there will be.

And why do you insist on the insults? IMO free throws will not be a problem. That's it

Not insulting anyone. That was just a very arrogant comment. Probably unintentional. This team lost 2 games that I remember last year because of poor FT shooting. If this team has a weakness it's that. To say that doesn't concern you is just interesting especially when the level of competition is about to increase significantly
gobears20
Staff
Looking at the stats it just looks like we have the wrong guys going to the line. It has worked before when teams have been bad at free throw shooting. That Memphis team back when they lost in the national championship to Kansas was a really bad free throw shooting team. We also were not the best free throw shooting team last year but we did great things.

We just want to make sure we get the right guys to the line late in the game. If we could bump that percentage to at least 70% that would be good.
CTbruin
In a close game when we are in the penalty, every time Vital gets the ball on the offensive end, he will be fouled. I understand that.

But, as a team, I just believe our FT percentage will be fine.
IowaBear
CTbruin said:

In a close game when we are in the penalty, every time Vital gets the ball on the offensive end, he will be fouled. I understand that.

But, as a team, I just believe our FT percentage will be fine.

That's fair, obviously guys like Vital and Thamba will bring the teams overall % down
TWD 1974
fubar said:

CTbruin said:

Of course there will be.

It's a small sample size. Of the twelve FTs the team has missed, Thamba missed four, Mitchell missed three, and Vital missed two. Thamba and Vital have been bad FT shooters during their time at BU. Mitchell has been OK. I kinda doubt he became lousy since last year.

The critical thing will be having the right players on the floor at the right time, and I don't think this is a news flash for our staff.

That's a long-winded way of agreeing with you.
We probably are not going to be a great FT team in number of FT attempted and in percentage. That will hopefully improve as the season goes on. Gillespie was a pretty good foul shooter, so we are definitely down in FTA with our bigs. I seem to remember Vital struggling early in season last year, but came up well at the line in some key games for us.
Mitchell has struggled at time. I have found guards who play great d often struggle at the line. If he can get to 60% we should be ok.
Adriacus Peratuun
Obviously a solid team FT % is a huge plus. But keep in mind that Baylor is predominately a jump shooting team and won't see as many FT attempts as most teams.

A big issue would be an inability to hit FTs when teams foul to try to catch up. That won't be an issue.

Teague, Flagler and Cryer are all elite FT shooters [84%+]. Butler is high 70s. You have four guards to handle the rock when teams star fouling.

Obviously, Thamba and Vital are poor FT shooters and Mitchell [low 60s] and Mayer [high 60s] are inexplicably lower than they should be. JTT doesn't have a sufficient sample size to predict his ability.

historian
If Baylor wants to win a national championship this year (and why wouldn't we, since this year may be our best shot?), then they should improve free throw shooting. Last year it definitely was an issue and probably cost us a few games. We would like to think we would have been a #1 seed had the postseason not been cancelled, but we don't know. Losing 3 of our last 5 games did not help--especially to TCU. More importantly, if the problems exhibited in Ft Worth & Morgantown showed up in the tournament, we might not have made it to the Final Four.

No doubt the problems in these first two games is partly because of rustiness and the players had practiced that part of their game all summer. I certainly hope so. We need to win those close games--especially down the stretch. So, it may not be something to be worried about now but it should not be ignored either. It is a genuine concern.
BearFan33
I agree its an issue. I'm sure they are working on it.
JP1037
IowaBear said:

CTbruin said:

IowaBear said:

CTbruin said:

Of course there will be.

Not insulting anyone. That was just a very arrogant comment. Probably unintentional. This team lost 2 games that I remember last year because of poor FT shooting. If this team has a weakness it's that. To say that doesn't concern you is just interesting especially when the level of competition is about to increase significantly

Baylor went 8-15 (53%) against KU last year and lost by 2 points on the Big White Out game with ESPN Game day. I would say that was a big loss. And free throws were definitely an issue.

We also went 14-22 (63%) against TCU loss by 2 points. Several other games closer than they should due to FT shooting.

Its a problem for a team with championship aspirations. Not for a team hoping to finish middle of the pack. But I guarantee they are working on it. Did last year too. Some guys just can't seem to make them at pressure moments regardless of time in the gym practicing.
IowaBear
JP1037 said:

IowaBear said:

CTbruin said:

IowaBear said:

CTbruin said:

Of course there will be.

Baylor went 8-15 (53%) against KU last year and lost by 2 points on the Big White Out game with ESPN Game day. I would say that was a big loss. And free throws were definitely an issue.

We also went 14-22 (63%) against TCU loss by 2 points. Several other games closer than they should due to FT shooting.

Its a problem for a team with championship aspirations. Not for a team hoping to finish middle of the pack. But I guarantee they are working on it. Did last year too. Some guys just can't seem to make them at pressure moments regardless of time in the gym practicing.

Exactly that's all I was really trying to point out. If we were even decent in those games were a 1 loss team last. Year. These next 2 games won't likely be blowouts every point will matter
Oldbear83
CTbruin said:

IowaBear said:

CTbruin said:

Of course there will be.

Never tempt Fate
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.