Zags land #1 prospect

4,139 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Louise Romano
boognish_bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
vanillabryce
Holmgren is skilled, but he could stand to add a few pounds. I'm interested to see him against college athletes.
Gobearsone
Watching his highlights reminds me of watching Isaiah Austin.
fubar
Maybe they'll make a better game of it next year.
Baylorbears111
fubar said:

I think they are going to shred through everything next year. They lost in the championship game because their guys were distracted and got punched in the mouth early and weren't ready for round 2 after UCLA. They won't make that mistake again. See Virginia.
IowaBear
Lol no just no. The team they had this year would embarrass the 2022 Zags. They'll go something like 34-1 due to an incredibly easy conference schedule. Destroy teams on their way to the S16. Then they'll run into good teams and fall victim. Go look at their record vs top 3 seeds in the big dance... it ain't pretty
bear2be2
Baylorbears111 said:

fubar said:

I think they are going to shred through everything next year. They lost in the championship game because their guys were distracted and got punched in the mouth early and weren't ready for round 2 after UCLA. They won't make that mistake again. See Virginia.
Correction: They lost this year because they ran into the one team in the country that was better than them. Teams aren't "distracted" in a national championship game.
bear2be2
IowaBear said:

Lol no just no. The team they had this year would embarrass the 2022 Zags. They'll go something like 34-1 due to an incredibly easy conference schedule. Destroy teams on their way to the S16. Then they'll run into good teams and fall victim. Go look at their record vs top 3 seeds in the big dance... it ain't pretty
Gonzaga is a really good program that has consistently fielded elite teams the past seven or eight years. There's little reason to think they won't do the same next season.

And most teams' records against top 3 seeds aren't pretty.

Scott Drew was winless against them until this past season. It didn't keep his best team from beating two on its way to a national title.

Few will get the Zags there eventually. It took a historically good Baylor team refinding its groove in the Final Four to keep him from doing it this season. They're going to keep knocking at that door until they break it down.
Bear8084
Baylorbears111 said:

fubar said:

They lost because they ran into the buzzsaw that was this Baylor team.
fubar
Baylorbears111 said:

fubar said:

Gonzaga lost to Baylor because we were the much better team. Distracted my ***.

I like the Zags and am happy they landed Holmgren. If we meet in 2022, we're still gonna blast them.
bear2be2
fubar said:

Baylorbears111 said:

fubar said:

I like the Zags and am happy they landed Holmgren. If we meet in 2022, we're still gonna blast them.
I wouldn't bet on that. We should be a really solid, top-15 team next season, but you don't lose the players we're going to lose and not take a step backward.
fubar
bear2be2 said:

fubar said:

Baylorbears111 said:

fubar said:

I wouldn't bet on that. We should be a really solid, top-15 team next season, but you don't lose the players we're going to lose and not take a step backward.
In April, I may back off.

But tonight, I'll take our returning guys (especially if they include Mayer) plus the incoming class over Gonzaga, which loses its best player.
DanaDane
Isaiah Austin had 20-25 lbs on this kid when he entered Baylor. I've seen this kid twice in person. He is about as thin of a rail as I've seen. He makes Ant Jones look like a bodybuilder. There's no way his body will withstand punishment under the basket of guys 21-23 years old and full bodied. He will be no impact on the boards except maybe in WCC games against guys much shorter and less skilled. A guy like Vital would clear this kid out without any problem. But, the good news for him is that he's more of a finesse outside guy anyway. Great handles, great coordination for that height and he can definitely shoot it from the outside.
bear2be2
fubar said:

bear2be2 said:

fubar said:

Baylorbears111 said:

fubar said:

But tonight, I'll take our returning guys (especially if they include Mayer) plus the incoming class over Gonzaga, which loses its best player.
Timme was their best player, and it wasn't close.

Suggs was their most talented player, but he was really inconsistent -- both game to game and within particular games.

Losing Suggs, Kispert and Ayayi will hurt them, but they'll still be a likely Final Four contender.
DanaDane
Zags will cruise to the Sweet 16. From there, it's all about matchups. Timme, Nembhard and Cook will be battle tested and have the mature bodies necessary for the physical play allowed from that point forward. It will be interesting to see who else steps up. Watson never looked that great in the games I saw. Too gawky and under-coordinated. Holmgren and Sallis are not built for that style. They'll need a couple of the guys who didn't play that much this year to really step forward and fill that kinda gap. Still think their weakness will be lack of significant depth off the bench and I don't think their overall athleticism will be as good, but I wouldn't count Few out from being in the Final 4 with a shot to win it all again. Zags really needed those two brothers from E. Washington that ended up at OU.

Suggs was not your normal freshman in the sense that he had the mature body of an older player (as did Cade Cunningham), not your typical thin bodied freshman who often gets marginalized once the physical play is commonplace in the tournament. Holmgren and Sallis are nowhere near that body level and their weaknesses will get exploited once the Zags make it to the Sweet 16. Both are really good players though.
bear2be2
DanaDane said:

Zags will cruise to the Sweet 16. From there, it's all about matchups. Timme, Nembhard and Cook will be battle tested and have the mature bodies necessary for the physical play allowed from that point forward. It will be interesting to see who else steps up. Watson never looked that great in the games I saw. Too gawky and under-coordinated. Holmgren and Sallis are not built for that style. They'll need a couple of the guys who didn't play that much this year to really step forward and fill that kinda gap. Still think their weakness will be lack of significant depth off the bench and I don't think their overall athleticism will be as good, but I wouldn't count Few out from being in the Final 4 with a shot to win it all again. Zags really needed those two brothers from E. Washington that ended up at OU.

Suggs was not your normal freshman in the sense that he had the mature body of an older player (as did Cade Cunningham), not your typical thin bodied freshman who often gets marginalized once the physical play is commonplace in the tournament. Holmgren and Sallis are nowhere near that body level and their weaknesses will get exploited once the Zags make it to the Sweet 16. Both are really good players though.

Watson will take a big step forward next year IMO. He had his moments this past season, and he'll get a lot more playing time in 2022. I expect him to be a major contributor for them.

He's got good hands for a guy his size and will benefit from the extra attention Timme gets.
vanillabryce
bear2be2 said:

fubar said:

bear2be2 said:

fubar said:

Baylorbears111 said:

fubar said:

Timme was their best player, and it wasn't close.

Suggs was their most talented player, but he was really inconsistent -- both game to game and within particular games.

Losing Suggs, Kispert and Ayayi will hurt them, but they'll still be a likely Final Four contender.

I agree that Timme was their best player. However, against Baylor they would've lost by 40 without Suggs.

Kispert couldn't even dribble against our pressure. Suggs going one on one was their best offense for half the game.

Our defensive pressure on the ball took away Timme and limited him to like 7 shots I think. I don't think Gonzaga can win big (Final Four) without better guard play, and AI don't know their roster well but if Ayayi and Suggs are gone I don't think they get better at the guard spots.
Crawfoso1973
bear2be2 said:

fubar said:

Baylorbears111 said:

fubar said:

I think we will take a step side-ways, not backward. Like a Davion Mitchell 3.
bear2be2
Crawfoso1973 said:

bear2be2 said:

fubar said:

Baylorbears111 said:

fubar said:

I hope you're right. But you don't lose three guards like Butler, Mitchell and Teague and a glue guy like Vital and not feel it. I think next year will look a lot like Villanova's 2018-19 season. We'll still be very talented and very good, but we won't be as good as we were the past two seasons.
Crawfoso1973
bear2be2 said:

Crawfoso1973 said:

bear2be2 said:

fubar said:

Baylorbears111 said:

fubar said:

I hope you're right. But you don't lose three guards like Butler, Mitchell and Teague and a glue guy like Vital and not feel it. I think next year will look a lot like Villanova's 2018-19 season. We'll still be very talented and very good, but we won't be as good as we were the past two seasons.
Well yeah, we were #1 in the nation good these past 2 seasons as our title proves. No one can guarantee that we will repeat obviously, but I think we will still have sweet 16 or elite 8 talent. And once you get to that point in the tourney anything can happen depending on matchups.
TenBears
If we can't win it all I am totally good with Gonzaga doing so.
boognish_bear
Hotsauce
His stock really tanked as a result of that title game. Guess we only have ourselves to blame for this...
CHP Bear
Hotsauce said:

His stock really tanked as a result of that title game. Guess we only have ourselves to blame for this...
"His stock really tanked..." Really tanked. Really really tanked. I mean really tanked. When we took away the back door cuts he became average.
historian
bear2be2 said:

Baylorbears111 said:

fubar said:

Correction: They lost this year because they ran into the one team in the country that was better than them. Teams aren't "distracted" in a national championship game.

Multiple commentators described Gonzaga's experience in the title game as running into a "buzz saw." Some also said they looked like a JV squad. Just about everyone described Baylor's win as "dominating." Maybe "distracted" isn't the best word but they were not prepared for the onslaught the Bears gave them.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
vanillabryce
And exposed him as a defender incapable of guarding PNR.
CHP Bear
historian said:

bear2be2 said:

Baylorbears111 said:

fubar said:

Multiple commentators described Gonzaga's experience in the title game as running into a "buzz saw." Some also said they looked like a JV squad. Just about everyone described Baylor's win as "dominating." Maybe "distracted" isn't the best word but they were not prepared for the onslaught the Bears gave them.
To me not prepared is tantamount to poor coaching by the coach of the year. IMO, better coaching wouldn't have changed the result. Baylor was the Secrateriat of college basketball. All the rest were 33 1/2 length behind.
boognish_bear
Forest Bueller_bf
Baylorbears111 said:

fubar said:

I don't watch much college basketball any longer, but correction here. The Zags lost because they were overwhelmed by a team that had much more sideline to sideline talent and athleticism than they had. They simply were not as good. It wasn't even close talent wise.
ABC BEAR
boognish_bear said:

The last time I saw Timme, he was face down and getting the kinks rubbed out of his legs.
Hotsauce
ABC BEAR said:

The last time I saw Timme, he was face down and getting the kinks rubbed out of his legs.

...while re-evaluating his whole basketball career.
lookin4awin
Not a happy ending for Timme that night.
Louise Romano
Skinny Timme...maybe good in Europa, no NBA
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.