Butler

10,795 Views | 70 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by BUbackerinET
IowaBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Anyone have any insight to what's keeping Jared from officially declaring ? The deadline I believe is the 30th. Just seems odd that he's yet to make official unless there's something potentially holding him up.
CTbruin
Believe it or not, heard this morning it was 50/50 on him returning
IowaBear
Don't doubt it honestly. If he still hasn't declared he's clearly having a tough time. Saw today KU landed Martin and Coleman-Lands. Getting Butler/Mayer back could set up a pair of epic matchups next year
BUbackerinET
Would be an awesome surprise - like Christmas in May!
BUCANDOIT82
50/50...Wow...I did not see that coming yet that is the way it currently looks. If Butler returns Mayer is more likely to return since their roommates. If both return book another National Championship if we stay healthy.

Still expect both to leave for the NBA. Question, are they allowed to sell their image next year as NCAA scholarship players?
BUCANDOIT82
BUCANDOIT82 said:

50/50...Wow...I did not see that coming yet that is the way it currently looks. If Butler returns Mayer is more likely to return since their roommates. If both return book another National Championship if we stay healthy.

"they are roommates"

Still expect both to leave for the NBA. Question, are they allowed to sell their image next year as NCAA scholarship players?
BUCANDOIT82
Very good scouting report on Butler:

https://www.thestepien.com/2021/05/19/jared-butler-scouting-report/
Ewalker80
If butler returns to school it will be the most shocking return I can remember, at least for Baylor. I can't even recall anything that would be a close second. I can't imagine he would do return unless his medical doesn't check out or there is some kind of burning bush situation.
ABC BEAR
I wish the NCAA would have allowed me to sell my image back kin the day.
Adriacus Peratuun
My math may be faulty, but for Butler to have a scholarship either Mayer has to stay in draft or a bench player leave.

Anyone else count differently. Really tired so I may be wrong.
IowaBear
If say Butler/Mayer did return we would have those 2 plus Dainja/Akinjo/Loveday/Thamba/JTT/Flagler/Cryer/Brown/Sochan/Love/Turnerand the other transfer I'm drawing a blank on. Puts us at 14 unless I'm forgetting someone
Adriacus Peratuun
IowaBear said:

If say Butler/Mayer did return we would have those 2 plus Dainja/Akinjo/Loveday/Thamba/JTT/Flagler/Cryer/Brown/Sochan/Love/Turnerand the other transfer I'm drawing a blank on. Puts us at 14 unless I'm forgetting someone
That was my count too.
EvilTroyAndAbed
BUCANDOIT82 said:

Mayer is coming back. We all know that. I'm hoping it's not a medical issue with Butler.
EvilTroyAndAbed
IowaBear said:

Don't doubt it honestly. If he still hasn't declared he's clearly having a tough time. Saw today KU landed Martin and Coleman-Lands. Getting Butler/Mayer back could set up a pair of epic matchups next year
KU is pushing all their chips in for next year. Just have to figure out their chemistry.
IowaBear
On paper they'll be loaded. Although I question how Martin will fit he's a ball dominant PG. Not sure how that will mesh with what KU likes to do. Defensively they'll take a step back. Martin/Yesufu/Coleman-Lands can all light it up but none can guard worth a hoot. Them and Texas at least right now are the Bears competition next year. Obviously a lot will change between now and the first game
gobears20
Staff
I still remember Kip Wells breaking my heart and turning pro the last day. Baylor Baseball would have had Jason Jennings and Kip Wells back. What a team that would have been.

The selfish part of me wants him to stay but whatever he does, best of luck to him!
Great Baylor Merchandise -> https://bit.ly/2M8DuHk
DanaDane
I didn't think Akinjo had been granted his immediate eligibility yet. Weren't the two-time transfers excluded from the immediate eligibility provision clause for this year, although I suspect the departure of his coach would pretty much ensure the waiver would ultimately be granted?
IowaBear
You're correct. He will have to apply for immediate eligibility which I imagine considering the circumstances around U of A's program will be granted
BUCANDOIT82
DanaDane said:

I didn't think Akinjo had been granted his immediate eligibility yet. Weren't the two-time transfers excluded from the immediate eligibility provision clause for this year, although I suspect the departure of his coach would pretty much ensure the waiver would ultimately be granted?
Even if he has to redshirt he still has a scholarship. We are only allowed 13.
IowaBear
That's true in a normal year. I believe NCAA is giving extra scholarships for 21/22 season just not sure what the total # is
Jacques Strap
IowaBear said:

That's true in a normal year. I believe NCAA is giving extra scholarships for 21/22 season just not sure what the total # is
Thanks that is what I was googleing but could not locate a clear answer as to whether the free covid year of eligibility means a school can have more players on scholarship next season than in a normal year.
IowaBear
Jacques Strap said:

IowaBear said:

Thanks that is what I was googleing but could not locate a clear answer as to whether the free covid year of eligibility means a school can have more players on scholarship next season than in a normal year.

I want to say it's 15? Could be wrong on that. But I'm fairly certain a NCAA is allowing more scholarship players for 2021-2022 sports season due to the COVID mess
OsoVerde
Butler graduated, right? It seems like the only reason to come back is if he doesn't get drafted in the first round. Is he hearing that is the case?
IowaBear
He did graduate but he's only 20 I believe so he's still rather young. But I agree no real reason to come back unless like a poster above mentioned that there's heart issues. Which I certainly hope is not the case
Ewalker80
OsoVerde said:

Butler graduated, right? It seems like the only reason to come back is if he doesn't get drafted in the first round. Is he hearing that is the case?
I haven't seen a single mock draft where he's not in the first round, typically safely. Consensus seems to be around about 24. By the way I think he will turn 22 in August, not 20 as someone said.
BUCANDOIT82
He turns 21 in August...If there are "heart" issues they could be physical or emotional.
ABC BEAR
My sources tell me he's already working on a Masters in Analytical Aerospace Bucketology in the Vinny Johnson Dagger Cum Laude Honors Program.
Mitch Henessey
Common misconception is that the NCAA is granting an additional year of scholarships. They are granting an additional year of eligibility. Players who utilize that risk being on their own for tuition. Scholarship limits are still the same for 2021-22.
Johnny Bear
Trying to not get my hopes up just yet as I'm still assuming Butler is gone, but if he does return and Mayer ends up staying, how are we not pre-season number one?
TWD 1974
Mitch Henessey said:

Common misconception is that the NCAA is granting an additional year of scholarships. They are granting an additional year of eligibility. Players who utilize that risk being on their own for tuition. Scholarship limits are still the same for 2021-22.
Eligibility is no issue for Butler or Mayer as they have a year remaining regardless. I have no doubt both are welcomed back if they choose to stay. Should Jared return to Baylor, there will likely be ripple effects in Waco and elsewhere. For one thing, a couple of Big 12 coaches may choke on their breakfast burrito when they hear the news!!
Adriacus Peratuun
Mitch Henessey said:

Adriacus Peratuun
The reason there is such confusion on 2021-22 basketball roster size issue is that the NCAA has individual roster size rules "by sport" and have been doing "Blanket Waivers" on those roster sizes by sport.

https://www.ncaa.org/compliance/waivers/division-i-committee-legislative-relief-blanket-waivers
historian
BUbackerinET said:

Would be an awesome surprise - like Christmas in May!

Christmas in May & all summer long!!
historian
Mitch Henessey
Adriacus Peratuun said:

Mitch Henessey said:

Right, they don't count against scholarship limits, but the NCAA isn't allowing schools to pay for their tuition and fees.

They allow the athletes to return, but aren't increasing the amount of scholarships allowed per team. It's still 13.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.