KJ Lewis gets offer from Baylor

1,877 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Adriacus Peratuun
historian
How long do you want to ignore this user?
How often does a HS student getting a scholarship offer make the local news? I don't know, but this kid from west Texas getting an offer from reigning national champions Baylor did make the news:

“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
setshot
Good find, historian.

I never question the astute judgment of our staff on recruitment, but this is an interesting offer. If he jumps at it, as he should, will they immediately honor it?
Ashley Hodge
Staff
I loved how they relegated Kansas to second class status. I think I like that guy!
historian
That is a good question. I do not know the intricacies of the recruiting process. My guess is they will honor it.
EasyE
setshot said:

Good find, historian.

I never question the astute judgment of our staff on recruitment, but this is an interesting offer. If he jumps at it, as he should, will they immediately honor it?
Not sure if you were able to watch the story where they noted he has offers from UCLA, Kansas, and Houston among others. That suggests that Baylor, in high probability, would happily accept a commitment.
vanillabryce
https://twitter.com/thekjlewis/status/1445834258002628613?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

historian
vanillabryce said:

I think he likes the look and feel of that nice piece of hardware.
Media Bear
Kid is dominant ... and looks bored doing it. As if to say "I need something more challenging" ...

Of course, he is playing in El Paso, so ... doubt there's a ton of competition around.
Hee-hee, hee. Hee-hee, hee. Woo! -- Michael Jackson
A buppa-ba-ba, buppa-buppa-ba. -- Paula Abdul
Say yah-yah-yah. -- John Mellencamp
Ooh-ooh wee-oo ooh-ooh-ooh. -- Mick Jagger/Rolling Stones
De do-do-do. De da-da-da. Is all I want to say to you. -- Sting (Gordon Sumner)/The Police
Ramidi ma-ma ba-di-ma, ramidi ma-ma ba-din-doe. -- David Draiman/Disturbed
C-c-c-c-come on. -- George Michael
People on streets, ee-da-dee-da-dee-da-dee-da -- Freddie Mercury
Crawfoso1973
setshot said:

Good find, historian.

Not that recruiting rankings mean that much, but he is a 4 star and currently the #31 recruit on rivals. Not sure why you view the offer as "interesting" or why we would not immediately honor it if we were fortunate enough to get a commitment from him.
JP1037
Crawfoso1973 said:

setshot said:

Good find, historian.

Not that recruiting rankings mean that much, but he is a 4 star and currently the #31 recruit on rivals. Not sure why you view the offer as "interesting" or why we would not immediately honor it if we were fortunate enough to get a commitment from him.
I was wondering the same thing. Why would we offer and not honor. Kinda odd since we already have 2 commitments in the class from 6'3"-6'4" guards to offer another one but looks like the kid can ball so whats the cancern?.
setshot
No particular reason, as I have not seen extended videos of him, but the several snippets I saw of his own posting were all of him dunking, and the only three point shot I saw of him, though successful, did not seem to be very impressive in terms of form.

Since the Bears received a commitment from Hunter, who seems to be a similar player and will likely be a long term player for them, and while they recruited Black but after accepting the commitment of two guards, seemed to be a bit less enthused about adding a third, it made me wonder what it was about Lewis that put him at the top of their want list. I know very little about him, whether it was his defense, his ability to create for his teammates, or other attributes -- but there are a lot of outstanding guards out there and Baylor is the defending national champion with access to them, so I wondered why Lewis is so highly regarded.

Perhaps Ashley has the scoop, but if so I would love to hear it. When I saw the video of Keyonte George, for instance, there were no question marks about where he should be on anyone's list.

As for being highly sought, that makes an impression, but again, why is he so highly sought? Just a bit of curiosity, that's all. I don't really know anything about him.
Ashley Hodge
Staff
https://sicem365.com/basketball-recruiting/offers

this our hit list for 2023 that I know about. I suspect we will take no more than 2 freshmen guards in that class
Crawfoso1973
Don't see it as odd at all. Can never have too many elite guards in college hoops, that formula just won us a national title.
EasyE
JP1037 said:

Crawfoso1973 said:

setshot said:

Good find, historian.

I was wondering the same thing. Why would we offer and not honor. Kinda odd since we already have 2 commitments in the class from 6'3"-6'4" guards to offer another one but looks like the kid can ball so whats the cancern?.

Lewis is in the 2023 class. Probable replacement for George if he goes one and done.
setshot
3 of our top 4 guards last year when we won it all were transfers, and we got two more this year. It is probably a pattern that we will follow in the years ahead. There is an obvious advantage to taking players who are older and who have a resume of performance against college and university programs. It certainly cuts down on the risk factor.

Top level high school guards are welcome, but the emphasis of late has been on players with excellent strokes from the perimeter (Cryer, George, and to a lesser extent, Love). Defense can be taught, and shooting skill can be improved, but a player without a perimeter shot by their college years usually are not reliable shooters from the arc for their career. The ones who do develop are often wing players whose best percentages are the result of spot up shots from the corner, where the distance to the hoop is the shortest.

Hunter does not appear to be exceptional from the arc, but for this stage of his career he seems to be competent. That is why I asked for some description of the game of Lewis, since he will overlap with Hunter, and neither seems to be exceptional from the perimeter, but both seem to possess good athleticism and be capable of scoring in several ways, while defending well.

We became accustomed last year for our perimeter players to be top level defenders and 40% plus shooters from the arc, a deadly and highly desirable player. Love is in that category, and George, while noted for his shooting and finishing at the rim, has shown in the games I have watched, all high level competition. both domestic and international, that his defense is more than adequate. Hunter may develop to the level of overall play that is now characteristic of this program, and Lewis seems to have the reputation for it, but I have not seen enough of either to comment further on it, and that is why I have enquired of Ashley about it.
Adriacus Peratuun
setshot said:

Top level high school guards are welcome, but the emphasis of late has been on players with excellent strokes from the perimeter (Cryer, George, and to a lesser extent, Love). Defense can be taught, and shooting skill can be improved, but a player without a perimeter shot by their college years usually are not reliable shooters from the arc for their career. The ones who do develop are often wing players whose best percentages are the result of spot up shots from the corner, where the distance to the hoop is the shortest.

Have to disagree somewhat.

Yes, most players that are poor jump shooters remain poor jump shooters.
Yes, most "created" 3 & Ds are mere "catch & shoot" spot-up guys.

But great workers can be taught to shoot all types of 3s [pullups, off dribble, catch & shoot].
LeBron a James was a horrid jump shooter and acquired the skill in the NBA.
Davion Mitchell was a poor jump shooter and acquired the skill at Baylor.

Takes time, work, and teaching. And attention to detail.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.