ODB: Baylor's Matt Mayer Named Preseason All-Big 12 First Team; Kendall Brown Earns

1,440 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by historian
historian
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://www.ourdailybears.com/2021/10/13/22725464/baylors-matt-mayer-named-preseason-all-big-12-first-team-kendall-brown-earns-freshman-of-the-year
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
vanillabryce
Flagler indeed got snubbed. Given the extra minutes he's going to produce.

Jacques Strap
vanillabryce said:

Flagler indeed got snubbed. Given the extra minutes he's going to produce.

Flager ... glad we have him. Snub for sure. That guy hit some huge shots last year and was money on late game free throws
Task Force 2015
Flagler has a beautiful stroke.
setshot
We know that Akinjo and Flagler will be one of the best backcourts in the college game, and that our big men will be much improved, but in my estimation Mayer is the key to moving this version of the Bears into elite status. if he makes the improvement in consistency and all around play that we have reason to expect, this will be a team to be reckoned with. He has the talent, size and skill level to be a lottery pick next June, but he has to show the level of maturity that makes it all come together.
vanillabryce
Mayer looks like he's gained some lean mass, which he needed. I'm looking forward to watching his defensive improvements and what he can do when he gets a mismatch.

I watched some of Akinjo in a video he did with Austin Mills. He's gonna be a good shooter for us.
Crawfoso1973
I am fully confident in our big 3 of Mayer, JTT, and Flagler. We have all witnessed what they can do in our system at the very highest level, and I expect all 3 to take huge steps forward this year.

Even though Kendall Brown is just a freshman, I am almost equally confident in him. He seems the perfect combination of talent and humilty and I think he will improve at an exponential rate and acclimate to the college game almost immediately. He and Mayer will be a dominant duo on the wings and highly entertaining to watch for us as fans. Sochan I think will also be an immediate rotation player and could have a similar bench role to what Mayer provided last year.

I think the key to our season will be the backcourt trio of Akinjo, Cryer, and Love. We will inevitably see a drop off after losing arguably the best college basketball backourt of all time in Butler / Teague / Mitchell, but how wide will the gap be? It is unfair to expect Akinjo to be Davion but if he could have an impact similar to transfer PGs such as Kenny Chery or Pierre Jackson from past seasons, this is an elite 8 or final 4 caliber team. I also think Cryer (assuming fully healthy) can give us a lot of bench punch similar to what Flagler provided last year.

As a fan, I am extremely excited to see how our staff fits these young and talented pieces together and how they progress this season.

Oso del lago
A FF would make me very very happy
historian
All Baylor fans would be happy with that!
DanaDane
Then get ready to be very very happy. This bus is rolling and there's no stopping any time soon. JTT is gonna be the biggest offensive surprise, thanks in part to Mayer.
historian
I'm looking forward to our first game in a few weeks.
vanillabryce
DanaDane said:

Then get ready to be very very happy. This bus is rolling and there's no stopping any time soon. JTT is gonna be the biggest offensive surprise, thanks in part to Mayer.

There were times when we were almost playing 4 v 5 with Vital, because his man could play off of him. He made up for it with his defensive versatility. We won't have to make those sacrifices with JTT, if he's improved as people have noted.
BUCANDOIT82
DanaDane said:

I have heard JTT has made huge strides on the offensive end and may even hoist an occasional 3 pointer. But why do you say "thanks in part to Mayer?
Oso del lago
They will keep on Mayer and have to match his size. JTT and Flo will be able to wreck ship in the middle of they hedge to cover Mayer or the defender will have to stay on JTT and FLO
DanaDane
Big-O-Bear said it well. Mayer is a match-up nightmare for opposing defenses. You don't have many guys his height who can do as many things as he can. You can't leave him alone from the outside or he will eventually bury you, or if you're not careful and overcommit on D, he'll run by you. So, opposing defenses will commit multiple players to stop him, and that will leave JTT (and Thamba) open down low or at least open enough to have a great look at a short shot. It was evident last year that JTT could become more of an offensive inside force with continued work. He has great leaping ability and soft hands. From what Drew, Fran and others have said, he made a lot of progress over the summer of converting that leaping ability and soft hands into more offensive potential.

Hope that explains it.
vanillabryce
DanaDane said:

Big-O-Bear said it well. Mayer is a match-up nightmare for opposing defenses. You don't have many guys his height who can do as many things as he can. You can't leave him alone from the outside or he will eventually bury you, or if you're not careful and overcommit on D, he'll run by you. So, opposing defenses will commit multiple players to stop him, and that will leave JTT (and Thamba) open down low or at least open enough to have a great look at a short shot. It was evident last year that JTT could become more of an offensive inside force with continued work. He has great leaping ability and soft hands. From what Drew, Fran and others have said, he made a lot of progress over the summer of converting that leaping ability and soft hands into more offensive potential.

Hope that explains it.

Would love to see MM get the ball on the elbow or high post and let him go to work. Put a guard on him he'll shoot over the top or see over the defense and make a good pass, put a big on him and he's going around them.

Dallas did this with Dirk, and it was so hard to defend.
Jorkel
historian said:

https://www.ourdailybears.com/2021/10/13/22725464/baylors-matt-mayer-named-preseason-all-big-12-first-team-kendall-brown-earns-freshman-of-the-year

As you would say. Preseason rankings and awards mean nothing.
historian
I said that about polls & rankings. Honoring players for hard work & accomplishments is always a good thing, unless it goes to their heads.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.