Big 12 Men's Basketball Preseason Poll

4,525 Views | 43 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by canoso
gobears20
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
canoso
gobears20 said:

OK, so somebody else goofed. Next?
BearFan33
Didn't Texas Tech lose their coach?
historian
They hired the guy from Loyola Chicago. Or did he go to Oklahoma?
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
Louise Romano
I like ranking of 3. From what small I know BU never ranks as high as they actually finish. Not much pressure is good. I say watch JTT this year who will be All-American by next year. He potential is so big.

Thamba need better finish with basket. Cannot replace Butler and Mitchell though bc their basketball IQ off the chart. But looks like this group will be well (could be 3 seed) and next year could be another championship in my opinion.

Good luck against BYU today. That funny looking ball bounce weird.
Heribert
Louise Romano said:

I like ranking of 3. From what small I know BU never ranks as high as they actually finish. Not much pressure is good. I say watch JTT this year who will be All-American by next year. He potential is so big.

Thamba need better finish with basket. The betting strategies for India on wetten.com helped me to make the right decisions. Cannot replace Butler and Mitchell though bc their basketball IQ off the chart. But looks like this group will be well (could be 3 seed) and next year could be another championship in my opinion.

Good luck against BYU today. That funny looking ball bounce weird.
Yeah that ball bounce was funny. I would go with the same top 3 ranking. I think Kansas cannot be caught. They'll make it all the way.
vanillabryce
historian said:

They hired the guy from Loyola Chicago. Or did he go to Oklahoma?

Porter Moser went to OU
historian
Thanks
BUCANDOIT82
Baylor easily has the most talent and best team in the conference. Kansas will not catch Baylor. Self is a great coach, but our team has no weaknesses. He won't be able to win with gimmicks like he did last year.
setshot
He won with help from Covid, as did OSU in the conference tournament. The version of Bear basketball that we saw in the three weeks at the end of the regular season was not the team we had seen prior to the shutdown of basketball activity. The question in people's minds, and it was a legitimate concern, was whether or not they could regain the vitality that had fueled their undefeated season up to the three week break. They answered that question with a resounding "yes!"

Without the Covid scare, this was very likely an undefeated team last season. We have reason to think that they will only be a slight step below last year's team, and that would put us in the top four, where Kenpom has us. There are more questions to be answered this time around, however, so we are properly up in some rankings, down in others. We belong in the Top Ten, no question, but just how high remains to be determined on the court.
BUCANDOIT82
I agree with your COVID points.

I don't agree on the question marks.

We don't know the exact rotation, but we do know this team will excel in all facets of the game.
historian
setshot said:

The question in people's minds, and it was a legitimate concern, was whether or not they could regain the vitality that had fueled their undefeated season up to the three week break. They answered that question with a resounding "yes!"
Just ask Gonzaga.
IowaBear
We have absolutely zero idea what this team will or will not excel at. Talented team no doubt. But your jumping the gun on all this most talented team and no ones going to beat us talk
NeuroticBear
BUCANDOIT82 said:

Baylor easily has the most talent and best team in the conference. Kansas will not catch Baylor. Self is a great coach, but our team has no weaknesses. He won't be able to win with gimmicks like he did last year.
Fortunately, you were horribly wrong about Mayer being a first round pick so we'll get to see him in a leading role as we defend our natty.
Chamberman
Polls are meaningless, especially in basketball, and very much meaningless before the season starts. They drive tv ratings for match-ups, which is why sports media love them.

BUCANDOIT82
NeuroticBear said:

BUCANDOIT82 said:

Fortunately, you were horribly wrong about Mayer being a first round pick so we'll get to see him in a leading role as we defend our natty.
You do know he was invited to the NBA Combine. You do know he received a late first round/high second round grade from the NBA before workouts or the Combine started. You do know he caught Mono and was unable to work out for anybody before the Combine and therefore chose to return to school. You do know he was the only player invited to the NBA Combine that withdrew before the Combine to return to school.

I am extremely excited that he will be back. His return is the main reason I think this team has a chance to repeat as National Champions and actually (so sacrilegious) be better than last year's team. Every time Mayer entered the game when we were behind in the second half last year (except for the Kansas game where he picked up 3 quick fouls and only played 5 minutes), when he went to the bench we established the lead. It didn't matter if Butler or Mitchell were on the bench when he came into the game, when he entered the game we not only took the lead he was instrumental in our retaking the lead.

And Flagler will also be a first round pick this year!
IowaBear
Just eat the crow man. At 1 point last year you said Flagler, Mayer, JTT would all have been first rd picks had they came out LOL TIMES 500. I get your a super fan but all this JTT is the best defender,Flagler the best shooter, Mayer the best player in America bologna your spewing is just ridiculous. Take off the green goggles. We have a very very good team. But to act like we're invincible and are going undefeated and not tested is hilarious.
BUCANDOIT82
Like most cyberbullies you like to use partial truths. I did say Mayer would be a First Rounder last year. I did say Flagler would have been a first rounder had he chosen to come out.

I never said JTT would have been a first rounder last year. I said he was an NBA player. Your constant revisionism on all subjects is interesting.
IowaBear
I'm as far from a cyber bully as you can get. You truly believe Flagler would have been a first rd pick las year??
I've said over n over I love your enthusiasm for BU basketball.
I just don't agree with this thought that BU is invincible this year.
We have to replace the best backcourt college basketball has seen in probably a decade. Ice said this is going to be a really good team. But it's not going to be this smooth sailing 50 point wins over everyone that you seem to be envisioning.
BUCANDOIT82
IowaBear said:

I'm as far from a cyber bully as you can get. You truly believe Flagler would have been a first rd pick las year??
I've said over n over I love your enthusiasm for BU basketball.
I just don't agree with this thought that BU is invincible this year.
We have to replace the best backcourt college basketball has seen in probably a decade. Ice said this is going to be a really good team. But it's not going to be this smooth sailing 50 point wins over everyone that you seem to be envisioning.

Again, I never said "50 point wins over everyone." I said "wins." Just want the record straight for when you whip out your revisionism.

I think you could credibly argue Mitchell and Butler backed up by Flagler is in contention for the best backcourt of All Time. Akinjo and Flagler backed up by Cryer will be one of College Basketball's best back courts this year. The front court this year will be better than last year.
IowaBear
I've already said by seasons end it'll be one of the better back courts in the country assuming Cryer makes the expected jump and assuming Akinjo maintains his level of play. There's still a lot of unknowns. Like how good will we be defensively. Or where will the leadership come from. It's a damn talented team. But the B12 as a whole is going to be much much better this year
vanillabryce
Let's say Baylor and Kansas had quantifiably equal talent. KU has the biggest home court advantage in all of college hoops IMO. That would make them the favorite.
BUCANDOIT82
vanillabryce said:

Let's say Baylor and Kansas had quantifiably equal talent. KU has the biggest home court advantage in all of college hoops IMO. That would make them the favorite.

Agree…Yet the talent isn't equal. We are more talented.
vanillabryce
BUCANDOIT82 said:

vanillabryce said:

Agree…Yet the talent isn't equal. We are more talented.

Ok, I'm willing to listen. I'm not up to speed on KU's entire roster. Can you prove it?
IowaBear
This will be Selfs best roster in a good while at least top to bottom. Would love to hear why or how you think we have more talent. But please do so without the green goggles on.
IowaBear
Just my 2 cents: they return 3 guys averaging 12 points or above in Wilson/Ochai/David Mc. They bring in Martin who averaged 19 a game and Yesufu who averaged 13. The long ball was their weakness last year and that will be greatly improved. This will open things inside for McCormick. I personally see KU as a bigger threat then Texas unless all the Texas transfers mesh well
BUCANDOIT82
IowaBear said:

This will be Selfs best roster in a good while at least top to bottom. Would love to hear why or how you think we have more talent. But please do so without the green goggles on.

Fran said he's not sure they have any NBA guys.
BUCANDOIT82
COLLEGE BASKETBALL SEASON PREVIEW: Breaking down the BIG 12, with Fran Fraschilla and Steve Prohm - Bing video
BUCANDOIT82
Whose ready to have another vote on who's going to win the conference and which team has the most talent? My vote has not changed!
historian
Kansas now looks very vulnerable.
EvilTroyAndAbed
historian said:

Kansas now looks very vulnerable.

Two years ago, we lost to a very bad Washington team in December. At the end of the year, we were slated as one of the four No. 1 seeds before COVID hit.

The year Michigan State won the national championship 20 years ago, they lost to Wright State in December.

A good or great team losing early to an inferior opponent doesn't necessarily make them vulnerable. It may even help coaches identify areas to fix before the real season begins.

Kansas will be fine and will contend for the Big 12. In fact, I wouldn't mind losing a non conference game just to get the monkey off our backs heading into conference.
EvilTroyAndAbed
BUCANDOIT82 said:

Whose ready to have another vote on who's going to win the conference and which team has the most talent? My vote has not changed!

Nobody here voted for anyone else. They just said they weren't surprised that Kansas was picked No. 1.

Dude, you have to allow for people who are more objective than you to not be seen as the enemy. We're all on the same team. Some of us just realize that the season will be tough. You seem to think we'll go undefeated blindfolded.
vanillabryce
KU was 9-20 from the FT line. Ouch
BUCANDOIT82
EvilTroyAndAbed said:

BUCANDOIT82 said:

Nobody here voted for anyone else. They just said they weren't surprised that Kansas was picked No. 1.

Dude, you have to allow for people who are more objective than you to not be seen as the enemy. We're all on the same team. Some of us just realize that the season will be tough. You seem to think we'll go undefeated blindfolded.

I am being objective. Yes, I expect us to go undefeated blindfolded (If Healthy). This team can turn it up to another level if need be.
historian
Good point.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.