Davion against Utah

2,955 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Crawfoso1973
setshot
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I enjoyed this game primarily because the defense by Davion was outstanding. He made two defensive stands against Donovan Mitchell that were spectacular. I don't know why they did not have him on Donovan throughout the game. Davion played high minutes tonight. He was hardly off the floor in the second half. The number of loose balls he secured was astonishing, and he had two or three steals. He played admirable help defense and pushed the ball up the floor better than anyone on either team.

With that being said, his shot was not dropping and toward the end of the game he passed up shots that he needed to take. He also tried to take it to the basket a time or two against Rudy Gobert, never a good idea. His offense will develop into an asset in due time, but meanwhile his defense has a major impact on the game.

Butler did not get into the game for Utah. Post game he and Davion were on camera when they pulled off their shirts, exchanged them, and walked off together.

The announcer and the color analyst for the Kings could not get enough of Mitchell, and he is obviously a fan favorite. They have picked up on his Baylor nick name and used it constantly, with obviously enthusiasm. I think that the game on Sunday against Golden State should be an outstanding matchup between Curry and Davion.
Two of the best at what they do.
Oso del lago
He straight up took it from Donovan like he did against Houston multiple times. Jared did play for a few minutes according to the box score. Yeah the shot was not falling for Davion.
CTbruin
He was credited with 4 steals
LIB,MR BEARS
LIB,MR BEARS
I hope Davion doesn't make me start watching the NBA. I've hated it for years.

He's gonna make me do it, isn't he?
Oso del lago
Yeah he makes it fun again
BearnMI
Big-O!-Bear said:

Yeah he makes it fun
I could care less about the NBA. But I do enjoy watching Davion.
vanillabryce
10 points 2 assists in 1Q vs G State

Career high in points
vanillabryce
17 points in the first half. Guarding Curry for the most part that I can tell, but Curry is in constant motion running off screens and not getting into iso situations that Off Night thrives in
LIB,MR BEARS
22 puts on the night
setshot
Davion finished with 20 points and 4 assists for the night. His defense was good, but the Warriors constantly run their players off of screens, particularly Curry was often guarded by other players. He never stops moving and no one uses screens more effectively, so tonight was a learning experience for Davion.

He learned from his previous game (against Utah) that a shot created is a shot that must be taken (to quote Don Nelson), and he declined shots in the fourth quarter against the Jazz that might have won the game for Sacramento. I am sure that his coaches and teammates encouraged him and he was very efficient. I don't think that he had a turnover, and he played a lot of minutes because they needed his defense.

The cherry on the cake was that his family and some friends had come to Sacramento to see the game, so he really put on a show for them. Advantage to Baylor for being mentioned as Davion's alma mater and the home of a national championship trophy (this has been mentioned in the three Sacramento games I have watched. I suspect that they will eventually stop making that reference.
gobears20
Staff
jdrs
Glad I am not the only one. But as more Bears make it to the pros, I may have to watch. Saw the play where Davion took the ball away Donovan. That was a great play!
gobears20
Staff
LIB,MR BEARS
gobears20
Staff
Crawfoso1973
Saw Davion yesterday vs. Dallas, very frustrating game to watch.

a few observations:

- Kings have a 3 guard rotation with Halliburton, Fox, and Davion occuping the minutes at PG and SG. Davion gets very little usage playing alongside Halliburton and Fox, as those guys dominate the offensive touches while Davion plays off the ball almost exclusively.

-Very frustrating to watch Davion play alongide selfish, low-IQ players like Fox and Hield. Davion comes off the bench with Hield, who is a low-IQ chucker who takes horrible shots and makes bad turnovers. When playing with Fox, Davion was wide open several times for uncontested 3 point shots only to watch Fox barrel into the lane and take horrible off-balance, low-percentage shots. Will be tough to change the losing culture in Sacramento when selfish guys like Fox and Hield are allowed free reign to make dumb and selfish plays. Essentially Sacramento was playing the opposite of our Baylor team which is extremely unselfish with high IQ players. I wonder how Davion was feeling seeing those 2 guys make losing decisions over and over again. If Sacramenton wants to establish a winning culture they need to move on from Fox and Hield, and turn over the backcourt to Davion and Halliburton.

-Davion stifling defense was on full display. He matched up mostly with Jaylen Brunson who came off the bench for Dallas, hounding him the entire game. Brunson was held to 8 points on 30% shooting. Davion switched onto Luka a few possessions which was fun to see him get right under his chin and despite the size mismatch disrupt him.

BearFan33
Crawfoso1973 said:

a few observations:

- Kings have a 3 guard rotation with Halliburton, Fox, and Davion occuping the minutes at PG and SG. Davion gets very little usage playing alongside Halliburton and Fox, as those guys dominate the offensive touches while Davion plays off the ball almost exclusively.

-Very frustrating to watch Davion play alongide selfish, low-IQ players like Fox and Hield. Davion comes off the bench with Hield, who is a low-IQ chucker who takes horrible shots and makes bad turnovers. When playing with Fox, Davion was wide open several times for uncontested 3 point shots only to watch Fox barrel into the lane and take horrible off-balance, low-percentage shots. Will be tough to change the losing culture in Sacramento when selfish guys like Fox and Hield are allowed free reign to make dumb and selfish plays. Essentially Sacramento was playing the opposite of our Baylor team which is extremely unselfish with high IQ players. I wonder how Davion was feeling seeing those 2 guys make losing decisions over and over again. If Sacramenton wants to establish a winning culture they need to move on from Fox and Hield, and turn over the backcourt to Davion and Halliburton.

-Davion stifling defense was on full display. He matched up mostly with Jaylen Brunson who came off the bench for Dallas, hounding him the entire game. Brunson was held to 8 points on 30% shooting. Davion switched onto Luka a few possessions which was fun to see him get right under his chin and despite the size mismatch disrupt him.

Coaching needs to straighten that out. But I would have to think that's a lot tougher in the NBA with player egos and the such.
vanillabryce
Crawfoso1973 said:

a few observations:

Sactown tried trading shield to the Lakers this summer, but inexplicably the Lakers opted for Westbrook. I really like Russ, but the Lakers needed outside shooting and Russ is the polar opposite of that.

The Kings have a losing culture, so that's tough to turn around.
Hotsauce
Probably Davion's best game as a pro so far last night against Charlotte.

19 pts, 4-5 from three, 4 reb, 4 ast, didn't miss from the line.
Crawfoso1973
Hotsauce said:

Probably Davion's best game as a pro so far last night against Charlotte.

19 pts, 4-5 from three, 4 reb, 4 ast, didn't miss from the line.
Absolutely. Sactown needs to realize more Davion = more success. Off Night will infuse them with a winning culture if they turn him loose.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.