***#11 Baylor at Texas Tech - Game Thread***

8,653 Views | 108 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by historian
SirBearALot
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SMITH MAKES 2. WHEW.. WIN BY 8 ON THE ROAD TO A TUFF TECH TEAM
BUbackerinET
Sheeeew, too close for comfort, but I'll take it!
whitetrash
Meanwhile, UConn hits a layup with 1 second left to beat DePaul by 2.
Globalbear
BUbackerinET said:

The B12 will NEVER be taken seriously until their overall officiating gets markedly better. This applies to all major sports, FB, and men's and women's basketball. It's overall just not good, and this is easily fixed by improved training, and vigorous review by impartial experts, and denying assignments, when performance doesn't meet expectations.
. Totally agree!!!
Futbol Bear
Tech played well enough to win this game, had a few bounces gone their way. Credit to the Lady Bears for winning a tough, gritty game. Take the road win and count your blessings! Go Bears!
Brusinbear2001
the thing is we won and we can tell there is major issues in the defensive side this game we have to lock in for West Virginia and get that defensive mind set back.
DFW Bill
Any win is a good win. Allowing Texas Tech to shot 53.8% from the floor and 73.3% from the 3 point line is not a
Defensive effort to admire, Tech falls to 2-6 in the Big 12 , Baylor goes to 4-2
Brusinbear2001
tech could not miss and we also underestimated their capabilities from beyond the arch. We were really ready for a huge mid range game from Grey.
MrGolfguy
W
Well I ain't no greenhorn!!
rileyroo
Good win on the road.

Positives:

1) Bickle. She really fights for every rebound and shot.
2) Andrews. She is getting better and better. Clutch at the end.
3) Overall offense. Asberry, Owens are hitting 3's.
4) Rebounding

Areas of improvement:

1) Defense. Let them shoot 71% in third. Not good
2) Our passes to the post. Both in the air and at feet.
3) Recognizing our strengths. Get the ball to Smith. Drive to the basket. Queen, quit shooting jumpers.

I was pleased overall. We are improving. Play better D and we will win a lot more games.

BleedGreen&Gold
A road win in the Big 12 is nothing to take for granted, but man what happened to our defense? I keep hearing CNC is a defensive-minded coach… but I'm not seeing it??? The type of defense we've played in the past meant teams rarely shot over 50 percent against us and we usually were pretty good at shutting down the 3-ball. Tech shot 73 percent from the 3 and 53 percent overall!!???!!! We can't just pick and choose when to bring the defensive intensity it has to be all game long! Andrews came up big while Lewis sat with 4 fouls. Loving our offense as of late but man defense wins championships and we are going to have to BRING IT if we want to bring this thing home and win the conference.
Brusinbear2001
yep agreed i do believe we saw how CNC is a defensive minded coach with the ISU game i just think we have to have higher energy on defense and develop a mindset that no one will put play us on that side of the ball. 2nd half tech couldn't miss a shot good thing our offense came to play. Minus some of the turnovers we played a great game on offense. Queen needs to become more consistent with the jumpers but like the way her shot looks now i'm not mad she is taking them if i am being honest just need to have someone willing to rebound her misses it can't just be her. and yes i know smith is also a great rebounder
EatMoreSalmon
CNC said postgame before anything else that she was disappointed in the defense.

May be a few of these in the gym tomorrow.
BaylorJoy
I know a couple others have said it, but man what a game by Bickle. Scored more than what she averages per game, great rebounding, and aggressive defense. She really was a difference maker this game!!
SSadler
More Sarah Andrews, please!!!!
hitmanmw
I only got to catch the 4th quarter but man, you gotta believe we took Tech's best shot tonight and still prevailed. No way they could play any better. Maybe it was bad D or maybe they were just on fire. But if you beat a team that shoots 73% from 3, you've done something. First thing from NC in the post game - disappointed in the D. The intensity too often just isn't there. Maybe the girls are pacing themselves because they know they have to play the entire game. Oh well. She will be on it. ;-)
woodsa75
Well said I was at the game officiating was bad
Baylorkid
BaylorJoy said:

I know a couple others have said it, but man what a game by Bickle. Scored more than what she averages per game, great rebounding, and aggressive defense. She really was a difference maker this game!!

Bickle is our most important player! If only AP was here to eat crow! I remember him giving me **** when I said Bickle should be starting last year because she does so many good things!
BaylorJoy
She's for sure a glue player for this team! While she doesn't have the scoring of a Smith or Egbo she always plays with such intensity and fearlessness whenever she's on the court. That can't be underestimated.
3rdgenbear
Great contributions by Bickle and Smith tonight, but Sarah Andrews took her game to a whole other level. We saw something special tonight! She became a player who realized that she can will us to a win. Layups, threes, jumpers and sharp passing assists. She was in the zone and wasn't going to be stopped.

Baylorkid
BaylorJoy said:

She's for sure a glue player for this team! While she doesn't have the scoring of a Smith or Egbo she always plays with such intensity and fearlessness whenever she's on the court. That can't be underestimated.

Definitely! If we lost Bickle I don't think we would adjust well without her
SirBearALot
Remember when Coach Niki said that one day Sarah A. would win some National individual player award ? and another poster poo pooed that ? Looks like Coach knows Sarah's potential..

Go Sarah !!
BikerBear
The Nancy Lieberman Award, is given to the nation's top collegiate point guard in women's Division 1 Basketball. Like Coach Collen said........Sarah will win the award some day. Look at what she did tonight and she is just a Sophomore.
Mulder
The Bears held off the Lady Raiders and secured the W. Good for them!
An Objective Fan of The Former Baylor Lady Bears.
Stefano DiMera
Does anyone realize we're playing like 6 folks to other teams 9 or 10?

We're gonna lose some games down the stretch because of that but amazing job by Nikki so far.
fredbear
Attended game. Few up close observations

1. Coach NC has a very winsome and open personality
2. Tech gave us their very best shot. Coach's daughter usually makes 6 points per game; she hit 22! And she was not uncovered on most of them, Other tech players played above their averages as well. Guy in front of me says he comes to the games all the time and "that girl never hits that shot" was said a dozen times. Credit Tech for playing wide open.
3. Our guards are great, but short. Advantage, drives to the basket with speed and short corners. Disadvantage, their hands up do not alter shots.
4.NSmith is so athletic, but not really into the game last night despite her good numbers
5. Bickle is the coach on the court.
6. Andrews is gaining confidence
7. Queen made those open midrange jumper all night in warm ups. She SHOULD keep shooting them. She can make them
8. Tech fans were small in number, but more friendly
9. Tech is well coached
10. NC is doing the right things the right way. Give her time to make it her own.
Bear3
Yes! Sarah has great talent and she is improving as the season progresses. If she can avoid injury, she will win the Lieberman award before she leaves Baylor as well as lead the team to deep tournament runs.
SSadler
fredbear said:

Fred,

Are you sure you were in Lubbuck, watching TTech vs. BU, and referring to TTech fans????

Bone Squad
SSadler said:

fredbear said:

Fred,

Are you sure you were in Lubbuck, watching TTech vs. BU, and referring to TTech fans????
Seriously. I'll never forget going out onto the field in Lubbock as a member of BUGWB, while Tech fans screamed curses and threw things at us.
WestTexSand
Now, Sadler, West Texas folks are generally congenial, forthright people. I know the Red Raider football fans can be obnoxious, but during the Marsha Sharp days the WBB crowd was not so bad.
Then Kristy Bug Eyes entered the scene and let her players mug and thrash opponents with impunity.
Bone Squad
Not 24 hours ago I posted about how Sarah Andrews struggled to finish at the rim. I don't think she missed a single one of those last night, and a lot of them were in the clutch. So, if this helps, then I say "Man, Sarah just can't ever make layups!"

I think Queen is definitely capable of consistently making those mid-range jumpers when they are open. I say bury them if they want to give up that shot. But, I didn't like her doing that situationally in the 4th quarter. All of Tech's bigs were in foul trouble. That was the moment to get deep in the paint and challenge them over and over.

historian
Stefano DiMera said:

Does anyone realize we're playing like 6 folks to other teams 9 or 10?

We're gonna lose some games down the stretch because of that but amazing job by Nikki so far.

I noticed last night that most of our players seemed tired later in the game. That's probably one reason our D wasn't as good as we are used to (& were in some recent games). It's going to cost us some games down the stretch as other teams pick up on that. Inevitable.

But the haters will hate & do their best to act like cow or frog trolls. Some of them may be just that.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
baylorbear33
WestTexSand said:

Now, Sadler, West Texas folks are generally congenial, forthright people. I know the Red Raider football fans can be obnoxious, but during the Marsha Sharp days the WBB crowd was not so bad.
Then Kristy Bug Eyes entered the scene and let her players mug and thrash opponents with impunity.

Respectfully disagree here - I was a Lady Bear during the Marsha Sharp years, and the fans were horrible. Shouting obscenities, threatening Baylor fans, etc. AND this was when TT was pounding us by 40-50 points. I can't imagine what it would have been like if it was a close game. Not gonna lie, the game many years later where Griner clocked one of the TT players was retribution for so many of us.
Bearprof
Watching those TT highlights, Andrews looks like a completely different player. Shooting form looks fantastic and her ability to penetrate the lane is exactly what this team needs. I don't think it's hyperbole when NC states that Andrews can win the Lieberman Award. She obviously needs to continue to improve but no doubt she has skills on this squad that no one has. When we get good production from Smith, Egbo, and Andrews, this squad will be difficult to beat.
Task Force 2015
I agree with BearProf and would add that Asberry and Lewis are now playing like we expected as previously recognized all conference players.And Bickel is the glue plus Owens is high energy defensively.Back to Andrews,she has come into her own!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.