Transfer Portal

104,132 Views | 593 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by SonOfZuno
bowdedg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Per Raoul: Kari Niblack (6-1 SR forward, Leesburg, FL) has entered her name into the portal, out of West Virginia WBB; 7.6 PPG & 4.0 RPG + 45 blocks in 2021-22; 1,000+ points, nearly 700 rebounds, and nearly 200 blocks in her four years at WVU

lookin4awin
Big 12 Honorable Mention-Strong Player. Think we will consider?
blackie
lookin4awin said:

Big 12 Honorable Mention-Strong Player. Think we will consider?
Unless there is some known baggage, I would, but I don't know nothing about what is out there. There might be a plan A that is better.
Dr. J
Not sure what we gain with her. Not impressive stats this season especially with their leading scorer out for most of the year.

I would curb my excitement for a little bit as there will be other transfers that appear in the portal after NCAAs are over.

woodsa75
Just saw on Twitter that Coach Carey st WVU is retiring after 21 years. Probably why she is in the portal
DFW Bill
She is a good player, potentially even better when surrounded by a good team.
74Bear
DFW Bill said:

She is a good player, potentially even better when surrounded by a good team.

Agree. Great shot blocking ability. Seems taller than just 6'1".
blueeyedbear
Dr. J said:

Not sure what we gain with her. Not impressive stats this season especially with their leading scorer out for most of the year.

I would curb my excitement for a little bit as there will be other transfers that appear in the portal after NCAAs are over.

Her kryptonite has always been foul trouble - In CNC's system she would not be that exposed to fouling situations. She reminds me of Cox in way - a real fire in her belly - Her and Caitlin together - HMMMMM. Business major so ...BU business School might be very attractive to her.
Don't know if CNC and staff have an interest but I'd say a phone call would be worth it. I have not heard of any baggage - I think Carey's retirement is the motivating factor as well as wanting to celebrate a championship.
I think WV is going to have some more transfers come out
blackie
woodsa75 said:

Just saw on Twitter that Coach Carey st WVU is retiring after 21 years. Probably why she is in the portal
I always liked him.....except when he would beat us -
Task Force 2015
She is very physical.My wife nicknamed her dirty girl.She would have helped us this year but I am not sure it makes good sense to take her as a one year player.
WacoKelly83
In her last game in the B12 tournament quarter finals she sat the entire game. Even the announcers wondered what was up. She never entered the game even when her team was within 2 possessions of catching Iowa St in the final minutes. Something was off.
BUVA
WacoKelly83 said:

In her last game in the B12 tournament quarter finals she sat the entire game. Even the announcers wondered what was up. She never entered the game even when her team was within 2 possessions of catching Iowa St in the final minutes. Something was off.

For Coach Carey to bench her the entirety of her last game, must have been really serious.
WacoKelly83
Or she already informed the team that she wanted to transfer. That would earn a benching too, I would suspect.
slimecap
KARI NIBLACK
Forward 6-1

.. 2018 HoopGurlz #78 Overall; #11 Forward
.. 2019 Big 12 Sixth Man of the Year
.. 2017 & 2018 Class 1A state title
.. Her mother Paula Parker played WBB
at UCF & JUCO Northwest Florida State (formerly Okaloosa State College)

=============================================
EXCERPTS from a Feb 21, 2022 article
Senior forward Kari Niblack took a shoulder to the face while trying to defend Texas forward Lauren Ebo with 7:24 remaining in the second quarter.

Niblack went down and had to be helped to her feet while keeping pressure on a bleeding lip. She was helped back to the locker room and later returned for the final minutes of the first half, but did not play in the second half, as her symptoms for a concussion worsened.

WVU head coach Mike Carey said
"It got worse at halftime and she's got a concussion. She's got a concussion, which means she's going to have to sit out the next game."

Niblack was off to a good start, with 8 of her 9 points coming in the 1st quarter. She also added 4 rebounds and a blocked shot before the injury.

- Excerpts from Justin Jackson, The Dominion Post (Morgantown VA), 21 February 2022
74Bear
Thanks Slimecap. Personally I believe she would make a great addition, esp for added depth.
fredbear
Oh yes, go after her. Tough as nails!
Dr. J
Is this the part of the forum where we excitedly sniff at every name that enters the portal? I would be more patient and wait as the tourney unfolds. There will be more quality names that enter. Oregon is usually good for 2-3 transfers out every year and they just lost.
Brusinbear2001
yeah i think there will be great players in there we just have to wait on it.
74Bear
IMO we are going to need several. I would not just sit and wait. Roster needs to at least get up to 10-12. Sure we can wait on a couple but we need to get it rolling soon.
bawitdaball
You don't just take a player for the sake of taking a player. It's an investment. Some of y'all forget the quality of player a player must be to fit in at Baylor. Niblack is likely not even on their radar. She isn't good enough to have earned consideration from CNC. There will be better talent, and there likely already is that hasn't been made public. Yes we will have to be busy in the portal, but 95% of the players who end up in there aren't there yet.
Adriacus Peratuun
Niblack is an undersized post who (1) has serious issues scoring more than 5 feet away from the bucket and (2) has a history of emotional outbursts.

Hard pass.

Brusinbear2001
Yeah we need more then just bodies we will need production. Right now we have the pitch of minutes but if we already have a bunch of people just to be on the practice squad that limits that pitch. We are a high class program and we need to get high class talent to continue that.
Baylorkid
Adriacus Peratuun said:

Niblack is an undersized post who (1) has serious issues scoring more than 5 feet away from the bucket and (2) has a history of emotional outbursts.

Hard pass.

Good thing you're not the coach even though you think you are.
DFW Bill
Adriacus Peratuun said:

Hard pass.

A "history of emotional outbursts", an interesting comment.
SirBearALot
Take her !! We can rehabilitate the out burst with Discipleship and Baptism , he he
74Bear
Some only think they understand recruiting. You can NOT just sit and wait until all come out. The majority will be taken and you will be left to live or die by the final few. And, very possibly wind up with a short bench like this year. Get a couple as they start coming out, get a couple later.
Dr. J
74Bear said:

Some only think they understand recruiting. You can NOT just sit and wait until all come out. The majority will be taken and you will be left to live or die by the final few. And, very possibly wind up with a short bench like this year. Get a couple as they start coming out, get a couple later.
Well, you can't recruit players from another team that aren't in the TP, that is unethical. And you can't sniff at every first name that comes out because you only have so many scholarships spots. The reason we have a short bench this year is due to the timing of the coaching transition. What is needed will be replacements for a 6'4" all-American and 6'4" post player (Queen) should she re-affirm she is not coming back next year. Niblick fits neither of those positions so, you don't have to jump on her right away.
74Bear
We will just have to respectfully disagree. I see we need several. We play seven, lose three of those, gain 4 coming in giving us eight plus the current freshman that I see as a question. We need minamally to get to 12-13 on the roster. There certainly will be better ones than Kniblack but can you get 3-4 of them? Time will tell.
slimecap
bowdedg said:

Per Raoul: Kari Niblack (6-1 SR forward, Leesburg, FL) has entered her name into the portal, out of West Virginia WBB; 7.6 PPG & 4.0 RPG + 45 blocks in 2021-22; 1,000+ points, nearly 700 rebounds, and nearly 200 blocks in her four years at WVU
Hi bowdedg,
Appreciate your post!
Thank you for investing your time to provide athlete information for our fellow 365 readers.

Reported that over 500 players are already in the D-1 Transfer Portal ...
and that number was reported prior to the NCAA Tournament ...
WHEW

Wishing you a wonderful Sunday
Brusinbear2001
and we also have to remember we are trying to win a national championship which would be the ultimate recruiting tool so if we are worried about next year before this year finishes how does that make them look.
Brusinbear2001
Let's take J LEW for example she moved on to the next round and wasn't in the portal all these people in now either are not in the tournament or got knocked out. But even then i don't know if any of them are actually in there if they just got knocked out. There is going to be some huge names that hit. Carrington, we had to wait a while. Cooper we beat them in the sweet 16 and she was on the team. Like the good ones will come.
Adriacus Peratuun
74Bear said:

Not a great idea to grab bodies simply to have bodies. This year for Baylor WBB is a great example of how one malcontent can poison the atmosphere.

Not every player need be a star, but every player has to be given a playing time/role projection and buy into that projection. Unhappiness is contagious.
BaylorBears_254
People need to realize, we will hit the portal hard. We are going to put the full court press on multiple big name transfers. We cannot depend on 4 freshman coming in.

I expect NC to take about 3-4 with 2 being post, 1 guard, and another wing as well.

Those are the needs. Someone got mad at me when I said our current freshman was not in shape to be ready for prime time, and unless she has an amazing off season, she won't be ready next year either.

Our deep run in the tournament will determine a lot for us. NC did a great job turning heads in the regular season, now it's time to do the same in the Tournament.

Our region is honestly one of the easiest, if not the easiest.
BaylorBears_254
Adriacus Peratuun said:

74Bear said:

Not a great idea to grab bodies simply to have bodies. This year for Baylor WBB is a great example of how one malcontent can poison the atmosphere.

Not every player need be a star, but every player has to be given a playing time/role projection and buy into that projection. Unhappiness is contagious.

Correct me if Im wrong Adriacus, but weren't you one of the ones that stated NC inherited a broken roster, and that this wasn't good? Now it's a good thing because having too many players will cause a ton of frustration?

If so, this speaks volumes, as when Kim would only recruit 1-2 players a year, posters thought the sky was falling and that she was losing her touch, when in actuality, its just never good to stack up on multiple recruits (at least in Women's Basketball), with an example being the Fab 5 that Mulkey recruited.
Brusinbear2001
and if you forgot she has stated she wants athletic post with length that can run the floor well, that will be able to rebound. She called it her 4 R's Rim running, Rim protecting, Rebounding, and rolling. She wants a post that can be very versatile.

We want more shooters and defenders, If we can get two shooters and defenders I think we have the players to run point with Sarah and then Jaden/Ja'mee they will grow and be more comfortable in that role. I feel Darianna will start next season with Bickle at the 3. But that all depends on how we get in this portal it will be fun!!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.