Texas A&M HC front runner news

10,588 Views | 65 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by slimecap
slimecap
How long do you want to ignore this user?

According to a source within the Texas A&M Athletic Department

All indications point toward Gary Blair's replacement being Georgia's Joni Taylor, who has surfaced as the front runner in the last couple of days.

Taylor has produced 7 consecutive winning seasons as the Bulldogs head coach and in 2021 was named the SEC Coach of the year.

- Excerpts from KBTX Sports, Bryan/College Station TX, 22 March 2022
geewago
Why hire the coach that can't beat Kim? Why not hire the coach at Ohio State?
fredbear
Good hire, good recruiter. Maybe an off year this year, but she will build a solid program over time.
HoustonBear15
geewago said:

With that logic, looks like we missed out on hiring the South Dakota coach.
Stranger
HoustonBear15 said:

geewago said:

or we could have just kept Kim
I'm a Bearbacker
74Bear
Outstanding coach who gets little resources from UGA. Has one of the top players in the nation committed to Georgia....could change her to Aggies. And yes, Baylor fans will find her as competition for Texas recruits, unlike Blair in the last few years.
Dr. J
HoustonBear15 said:

geewago said:

Don't worry, that SDAK coach just stamped her ticket to a bigger D1 payday. Lots of job openings right now.

In fact, just heard there was an opening for the HC job at Georgia (LOL).
slimecap
March 23, 2022 @ 7:31 AM
It's official

"Here's UGA athletic director Josh Brooks statement on
Joni Taylor moving on to be the head basketball coach at Texas A&M.

Taylor compiled a 140-75 overall record and 62-48 mark in SEC play over seven seasons as head coach at the University of Georgia."

- Alison Mastrangelo, WSB-TV twitter feed
slimecap
74Bear said:

And yes,
Baylor fans will find her as competition for Texas recruits,
unlike Blair in the last few years.

DARIUS TAYLOR
Husband of Joni Taylor

Dec 27, 2017
Excerpts

Nicki Collen's staff with the Atlanta Dream
now includes Darius Taylor ...

Taylor spent five seasons with Dawn Staley at South Carolina, helping to develop last season's second overall pick in the WNBA Draft, Alaina Coates, and this year's expected top pick, A'ja Wilson. In Taylor's last year on staff, the Gamecocks reached their first Final Four in program history.

Nicki Collen stated
"I couldn't be more excited to welcome Darius and his family to the Atlanta Dream. Darius is a rising star in this profession and someone who understands winning. From his time in basketball operations with USA Basketball, to working with Dawn Staley at Temple and South Carolina, he has helped produce winning players and teams his entire career.

"Darius has a very calm demeanor and his background helping professional athletes navigate life after pro sports gives him a quality that I know our Dream players will greatly respect. His strength in the player development area is something I identified as a need for our team and his work ethic matches what I want to model for our team."

- Excerpts from Howard Megdal, High Post Hoops
T-REX
Stranger said:

HoustonBear15 said:

geewago said:

or we could have just kept Kim
Kim quit. You cant force someone to stay. This is not slavery
DFW Baylor Social Media Promoter
Baylor MBA 2023
THE BAYLOR APOLOGY TOUR IS OVER!!!
Twitter: T_REX1991
Instagram: t_rex_bu
Brusinbear2001
i'm happy for Joni she can make A&M very good, Texas as a state is going to be one of the best basketball states in the country.
Brusinbear2001
i remember we went after Joni or that is what was said. I believe she didn't leave because her husband had a chance with the dream, and she had those super seniors that came back for nothing more than her. it would have let them down. But this was her perfect opportunity!!
Brusinbear2001
you know what is crazy in the texas a&m forum on their site? They said Blair had a great era but now it's Joni time… isn't it crazy they are already believing in her. She came off of a bit so good season as the year before but they still are open to giving her the chance!!
slimecap
Brusinbear2001 said:

i remember we went after Joni or that is what was said.

April 29, 2021

OneSicemWay
This is something to keep an eye on. Athens is 71 miles from Atlanta. This could be a job NC might be interested in. Would get her family back together. Especially if some of the negative treatment from so called fans is true.
74Bear
Ballout.com reports a rumor "Georgia plans to hire Ole Miss head coach Yolett McPhee-McCuin"
slimecap
74Bear said:

Ballout.com reports a rumor
"Georgia plans to hire Ole Miss head coach Yolett McPhee-McCuin"

Georgia > Texas A&M confirmed
Ole Miss > Georgia rumor

SEC ... SEC ... SEC
ABC BEAR
74Bear said:

Ballout.com reports a rumor "Georgia plans to hire Ole Miss head coach Yolett McPhee-McCuin"
Will they make her the highest paid Women's BB coach in history?
Lynnp550
OneSicemWay said:

This is something to keep an eye on. Athens is 71 miles from Atlanta. This could be a job NC might be interested in. Would get her family back together. Especially if some of the negative treatment from so called fans is true.
It is absolutely true, from the lips of someone who saw the hate mail, and there was plenty of it. What kind of deranged, immature individuals do stuff like this?

Lynnp550
Brusinbear2001 said:

you know what is crazy in the texas a&m forum on their site? They said Blair had a great era but now it's Joni time… isn't it crazy they are already believing in her. She came off of a bit so good season as the year before but they still are open to giving her the chance!!
Maybe because everything happened as it should have. Gary Blair gave notice of his retirement, rode off into the sunset and was likely instrumental in making sure she was well accepted.

But then, wouldn't you expect, when a legendary coach suddenly chooses to pick up and leave, that just maybe the fan base would think about the TEAM and welcome with open arms the new coach who had the guts to follow the legend?

Dear God, I pray Nicki doesn't pack up and move back to Georgia, though I sure would understand.
Iron Claw
SEC schools aren't afraid to hire intraconference.
slimecap
While terms have not yet been announced
Texas A&M is expected to increase Taylor's compensation considerably.

Taylor was just extended six years by UGA last year.
Her new contract increased her salary $100,000 to $850,000 a year
but increased incrementally to $925,000 in the final year,
not including numerous performance bonuses.

- Excerpt from Chip Towers, Atlanta Journal-Constitution
fredbear
Ok. I'm a big Nicki fan, check my posts. But it is ridiculous to say NC would pack her bags from BU, which supports wbb at the highest level, and go to GA where they are stingy. I surely believe NC has more maturity and backbone than to turn tail because of idiotic posting or hate email. If not, she does not need to be a coach. I'll support her, defend her and look forward to the future with her. But if u replace a legend u know there is a choppy transition period. Nicki has been around wbb long enough to know criticism will come for a while. Work hard, recruit, and stay positive and 99 percent of the idiots will find new victims of their inner anger. So please stop whining for Nicki. Support her and don't be part of the problem by making the nay sayers feel empowered. Nicki has 100 percent support of the admin and Ad. All that matters. Rest is meaningless. Nicki is smart enough to realize the smoke blowing is nothing. Great first year coach! Can't wait to see u rebuild this program, ur style!
Eball
Taylor claimed that BU called and she was not interested…again whether true or not...the speculation in the WBB universe is that the reason we have CNC is the cost savings we realized by hiring her as opposed to what we had paid KIM/and would have had to pay some more established WBB college coaches(Taylor etc.)...All speculation and rumor but that is the point some on this board have been trying to make whether CNC turns out to be a fantastic hire or not the view was Baylor no longer was willing to commit the same $'s to WBB they had under Kim....

This is not meant to disparage anyone, as I feel certain there are some who think Kim was over paid and not worth it so glad, she gone from that angle.

Whether true or not our status in the WBB community took a hit based on perception.

For all I know Kim fed those rumors... so once again not a pro Kim anti CNC post in any way just a how Kim's leaving, and CNC's hiring was perceived by the WBB community.

Now the perception is that Aggie paid to get a coach for WBB that we were not willing to pay.
IowaBear
Never understood the Joni Taylor hype, has she even gotten GA to the S16? She just got embarrassed by ISU. GA underachieved this year considering the roster and amount of key returnees they had
lookin4awin
Lynnp550 said:

Brusinbear2001 said:

Maybe because everything happened as it should have. Gary Blair gave notice of his retirement, rode off into the sunset and was likely instrumental in making sure she was well accepted.

But then, wouldn't you expect, when a legendary coach suddenly chooses to pick up and leave, that just maybe the fan base would think about the TEAM and welcome with open arms the new coach who had the guts to follow the legend?

Dear God, I pray Nicki doesn't pack up and move back to Georgia, though I sure would understand.

I think when CNC took the job, she fully expected the comments and posts supporting the prior coach and questioning her ability, especially at the college level. How could she not have? She knew fully what she was getting into when she made the decision to replace an icon 20 year coach who left a top 5 program under adverse circumstances.

The fans had to work through this sudden change too, and I think as a whole, most fans have worked through it, especially by the end of this season. I don't think there was anything unexpected or unusual about the forum chatter this year, and I think it will be minimal next year.

People though for their own purposes have tried to make it into more than necessary. Many of the worst comments were from people who only came to this forum to stir it up.

CNC is mature and confident. She expected all this.
baylor1984
April 15th will be interesting.
Eball
baylor1984 said:

April 15th will be interesting.
fredbear
Eball. That is not true. No one is saying that, at least, no one in the know. You have no idea what NC present salary is, nor does the wbb community. BU does not reveal. And if you believe our AD, he said wbb investment was still there by the university. Heck, they are about to get a 500,000,000 (all development totaled) palace on the river, new men and women's facilities that will be among the best in the country. The Aggie facilities do not compare, not even built to be a bball arena. Graduation room like the FC. BU could have easily have paid GA coach top dollar and still saved half of Kim's salary. I bet aggies don't even pay 1.5 million. It will be published. Will you take that bet? And I think it is wrong to assume Nicki was a bargain basement hire. Of course she was paid less than Kim, anyone but Geno or Dawn would. BU WBB is in great shape and the investment in BBall has NEVER been higher. I know you are a lawyer and am surprised by you odd reasoning.
baylor1984
April 15th 990 The world will know.
fredbear
Tax day? Yeah, never a good day.
Eball
fredbear said:

Eball. That is not true. No one is saying that, at least, no one in the know. You have no idea what NC present salary is, nor does the wbb community. BU does not reveal. And if you believe our AD, he said wbb investment was still there by the university. Heck, they are about to get a 500,000,000 (all development totaled) palace on the river, new men and women's facilities that will be among the best in the country. The Aggie facilities do not compare, not even built to be a bball arena. Graduation room like the FC. BU could have easily have paid GA coach top dollar and still saved half of Kim's salary. I bet aggies don't even pay 1.5 million. It will be published. Will you take that bet? And I think it is wrong to assume Nicki was a bargain basement hire. Of course she was paid less than Kim, anyone but Geno or Dawn would. BU WBB is in great shape and the investment in BBall has NEVER been higher. I know you are a lawyer and am surprised by you odd reasoning.
Fred...I like you a lot your loyalty to BU, WBB is unquestioned. If you look at my post I bolded all the speculation, rumors and perception areas...No one knows for sure but...speculation was out in the WBB community on line and through various sports information outlets that BU kicked the tires for the Michigan coach the Arizona Coach the UCLA coach and Taylor...the thought process was any of those would have come to BU for Kim money! Mac was trying to be a good AD and knew he would never find someone deserving of Kim money to come in and replace her...I mean Tara, Geno and Staley were not coming...so speculation is he would just not give anyone big enough raises to leave their schools..none of those were making 2 million a year plus. So he went with a rather unique hire who was not making near what those college coaches were. Again speculation and rumor but we will be able to tell from BU tax returns roughly what CNC is making but again based on her record and experience you would have to believe we are paying considerably less than we were to Kim and less than we would have had to pay to lure one of the bigger names away.

This is not a reality post it is a conjecture post it is not what we at BU think it is what the WBB community thinks when they see what happened....

Unfortunately, we have a ton of premium posters who never liked or supported WBB or Kim and were critical of her sucking up resources they thought should go to MBB or Football...You still have posters who can't stand Title IX and believe it is bad law...(whether it is or not is really moot it is the law)

So much of the faux support for CNC and bashing of Kim was a concerted effort by those who had hated Kim and WBB for a long time, making sure Mac had cover for letting a HOF coach walk and hiring someone who got paid a lot less...they support that but realized the only way to sell it to true WBB fans at BU is bashing Kim and artificially pumping up CNC because it saved money for athletics that in their mind count Football and MBB
baylor1984
It's the day if inquiring minds are so inclined that they can find out what we now pay our WBB coach.
Eball
Ok..so I don't do great at posting links but you can google it and there is a recent USA today article March 11, 2022 that is behind a pay wall but has a slide show with the 11 coaches who earn more than 1 million in WBB at college. Here are two bullet points I cut and pasted.
  • Ten seasons ago, the highest-paid coach was Tennessee's Pat Summitt, at just under $2 million. This season, UConn's Geno Auriemma is making $2.9 million and South Carolina's Dawn Staley and LSU's Kim Mulkey more than $2.6 million each.
  • At least 11 coaches are making $1M or more in total annual compensation.

Assuming this is close...it is likely CNC is making less than a Million...which is really probably fair based on her experience and level....Barnes with Arizona who is the last one at just over 1 million got that raise after speculation came out that she was a candidate at BU. Taylor got about a $100,000 raise as a result of the BU interest but with Gary Blair coming in on the Million $ list it is likely she will be paid in excess of a million to go to the Aggies.
Dr. J
Eball said:

....Barnes with Arizona who is the last one at just over 1 million got that raise after speculation came out that she was a candidate at BU.
I am so glad we did not hire Barnes. She is a hot head and would have been a PR nightmare for BU with all the confrontations and middle finger raises she had this year. She had a breakout year last year because of having Ari McDonald and this year has underachieved.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.