Texas A&M HC front runner news

10,470 Views | 65 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by slimecap
Eball
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Dr. J said:

Eball said:

....Barnes with Arizona who is the last one at just over 1 million got that raise after speculation came out that she was a candidate at BU.
I am so glad we did not hire Barnes. She is a hot head and would have been a PR nightmare for BU with all the confrontations and middle finger raises she had this year. She had a breakout year last year because of having Ari McDonald and this year has underachieved.
She would not seem to have been a fit at BU! I agree with that...there are a lot of folks who have one good year and capitalize on it...the ones you want are those who can do it year in and year out...it is not easy.
fredbear
Eball thanks for expounding. NC should make less than a million until she proves herself. And she will. Then we will have to pay her big money to keep her. BU should only pay the market. Given the unprecedented investment in Bball at BU right now, I don't think it is wise to assume a million dollars one way or the other would make or break a coaching hire. We really have no idea what the AD offered, or to whom he offered it. He may have well interviewed candidates only to conclude they were not a fit, and then their agent turns around and uses the bu phone call for a catalyst as a raise and contract extension. Happens all the time! Frankly, I think the GA coach is a good hire, but not as good as the Nicki hire was and is. Nicki will recruit wonderfully Because she is genuinely interested in others. And think there is a two year lag on tax return info. And by then you don't know what they are making now.
Brusinbear2001
i pray she doesn't either i love nicki and she is great addition to baylor and good for our university!!
slimecap
TRANSFER PORTAL
Sarah Ashlee Barker
Georgia > ?

Guard 6-0 SO Birmingham AL
.. started all 31 games in 2021-22
.. avg 7.7 PPG, 4.0 RPG & 2.4 APG

- Raoul twitter feed, 23 March 2022
woodsa75
Barker is a really scrappy guard. He brother plays football at Alabama. She may be worth a look for CNC
blackie
Two comments.

How much money would you need to get over what your school was paying you or increasing to pay you to keep you there to take the career risk of replacing a legend? Think about it, you seem to be in a good position in an up and coming program. You already have a team and your recruits. Why take the risk of going to a school that is replacing the legend? All it would taken this past season was for Smith and Egbo to decide they didn't like what was coming in and go into the portal. They you got nothing. Your career could take a tremendous hit that you might never overcome.

As someone else said we don't know who was seriously talked to or even talked to at all. And, it would make no sense to have OVERpaid one of these up and comers to get them here.....even if they would come for that. Money matters, but in a young career, a one time payday may never make up for crappy paydays in the future because you became the next Gail Goestenkors. These coaches were paid well for their experience and got big increases. Why take the risk?

Secondly, are the people who sent the hate mail really Baylor people or just outsiders that just wanted to do their part to blow up the program? If truly Baylor people they should be called out in public. I can not understand any Baylor person would have reason to vent their feelings for the administration to the coach who was willing to take on this mess.....and yes for a while there it was a steaming mess waiting to happen. That is beyond dumb. What was the alternative? Perhaps if they were more Mulkey fans than Baylor fans, they should have just moved on to LSU.
Adriacus Peratuun
Ask yourself these questions:

1) whose reputation is bolstered if the program takes a downturn under the new staff?
2) who is incentivized and has the connections to stir up supposed former fans to dump on the new staff?
3) who wins by creating & fostering a false narrative of Baylor reducing financial support for WBB?

Then ask yourself why anyone claiming to be a Baylor fan would publicly promote any of the following actions.

Incentive is usually a great predictor for who is engaged in activities.

Brusinbear2001
I agree, CNC will get her pay day. And for the fans that don't see the work she is doing already look at her recruiting class. she did that within months of building relationship with these athletes . The last time we got a good class was with Queen, Lyss, and Bickle… and even then 2 of the guards transferred because we kept going in the portal. Bickle had tears at the press conference because she knew that win or lose the coaching staff loved her. Does that not speak volumes to everyone. Those 3 seniors could have been gone. She kept them here or they were willing to give her the chance whatever that might be. She showed passion, she showed fight, she was vulnerable with us. She let a camera crew in not for her own clout but for us to get to know her better as fans. I don't know anything else she could have done to do better besides when a national championship in one of the toughest march madness brackets there were. Any other program in the country would be blessed to have her and we do so can we embrace her?

If you think there is more that she could have done this season for our program let me know but i cannot think of anything
slimecap
MIXED REACTION among the AGGIES

blueeyedbear
woodsa75 said:

Barker is a really scrappy guard. He brother plays football at Alabama. She may be worth a look for CNC
Probably already on TAM campus
Threebears
KM is gone and is history. Good history, but just a name in the record book now. I hope Collen succeeds, and I think she might. She will need to put her own team together, just like Briles, Rhule, Aranda, and Mulkey did. It's not automatic. It takes some time.
Dr. J
Brusinbear2001 said:

I agree, CNC will get her pay day. And for the fans that don't see the work she is doing already look at her recruiting class. she did that within months of building relationship with these athletes . The last time we got a good class was with Queen, Lyss, and Bickle… and even then 2 of the guards transferred because we kept going in the portal. Bickle had tears at the press conference because she knew that win or lose the coaching staff loved her. Does that not speak volumes to everyone. Those 3 seniors could have been gone. She kept them here or they were willing to give her the chance whatever that might be. She showed passion, she showed fight, she was vulnerable with us. She let a camera crew in not for her own clout but for us to get to know her better as fans. I don't know anything else she could have done to do better besides when a national championship in one of the toughest march madness brackets there were. Any other program in the country would be blessed to have her and we do so can we embrace her?

If you think there is more that she could have done this season for our program let me know but i cannot think of anything
This is a great post BB2001. It pretty much summarizes the year for CNC and the players.

Bickle is a tough young woman and for her to show that type of emotion with her coach present in a loss, speaks volumes of the relationship differences players have between this staff and the old staff.

CNC came in with more weight on her than any other coach in WBB history given the circumstances of her hire (and our former coaches departure) and she kept the core of seniors, kept the transfers, and still won a B12 title after being 0-2 at the start of conference play and ZERO recruiting being done to replace the outgoing players and installing an entirely new system on both sides of the ball.

CNC is going to do great things for BU WBB and I for one, am going to watch how all these coaching changes and new million dollar hires do at their respective schools. It all comes down to relationships and based on Bickles' emotional response at the presser, if there were any potential recruits watching that, I would say we have a pretty good start with relationship building with future players.

CHP Bear
Brusinbear2001 said:

i remember we went after Joni or that is what was said. I believe she didn't leave because her husband had a chance with the dream, and she had those super seniors that came back for nothing more than her. it would have let them down. But this was her perfect opportunity!!
Sounds good. Also, bucks + tax differences may have been a factor. Wondering how much aTm promised to up the NIL anti for WBB?
ScottS
Of course there are big bucks behind this. Nobody would go to A&M with getting highly paid.
Brusinbear2001
i would assume it is too, we will see i am happy for the game of WBB because it is yet again continuing to grow. Now a coach gets a opportunity to step into Georgia and make it a great program. Mississippi State now has a coach a log seem to be promising. This game is growing and i am extremely happy for that!! When you look at the bracket for Mafch Madness you aren't able to look past those opening round games because there are very good teams all around. This is what real WBB fans have been wanting. As a Baylor fan it sucks that we got put in the madness of this tournament but I believe it was for the best of our team. Now they are going to have to find a hunger to get to where they were used to being just like that 0-2 start made them feel.
BellCountyBear
Brusinbear2001 said:

you know what is crazy in the texas a&m forum on their site? They said Blair had a great era but now it's Joni time… isn't it crazy they are already believing in her. She came off of a bit so good season as the year before but they still are open to giving her the chance!!
slimecap

L-R Darius Taylor & Dawn Staley

UPDATE
March 26, 2022

Excerpts
Will Taylor's husband, Darius, join the staff?
"We talked about it," Taylor said. "I think that we'll see."

Darius Taylor
.. Oct 2021 Promoted to Asst GM WNBA Atlanta
.. 2017 Hired by Atlanta HC Nicki Collen as AC
.. Worked as AC for Temple and South Carolina prior to WNBA
Helped Dawn Staley recruit players for South Carolina 2017 NCAA Championship win
.. 2000 Graduated Michigan sports management / communication degree

Joni Taylor stated
Her husband has found "his niche" with Atlanta and
isn't sure what the future holds.

- Excerpts from Matthew Postins, Sports Illustrated
setshot
I think that Baylor has demonstrated the capacity for investing in its athletic programs, starting with facilities and support staff and working its way up the coaching ladder to the one at the top. Shortly after the formation of the Big 12, I had lunch with Dave Campbell. He expressed undiluted pessimism about our inclusion in the newly created conference. He had just returned from a trip to a couple of other schools, I think OU and Nebraska and he said that we could not compete at that level because Baylor could not compare in facilities and coaching staffs because of the disparity in financial commitment. As we moved on to other things involved in our inclusion in the new configuration of major athletic programs that the Big 12 represented, I conceded that our history in that regard was indeed a shoddy one.

I am glad that Dave lived long enough, not only to see a major change in financial commitment, but to participate in it to some degree. The truth is that a private school like Baylor, lacking as it does a major endowment in comparison with most of the schools with whom we compete, has a tiger by the tail in its role in athletics -- and they can't easily let it go. There is enough commitment to compete and the will to do so, but it must be done prudently and efficiently because it is more contingent and somewhat less secure than the huge state universities with their large alumni base and access to public funding.

The values and culture of a school like Baylor are assets when harnessed to stable and effective leadership, but this puts Baylor into the position of being a niche program in the minds of rival institutions. This is for the most part a positive thing, but it explains some of the resentments that the fan bases of those rivals feel for Baylor as a relative newcomer to the throne and a worthy challenger in so many areas long thought to be reserved for the mighty bearers of recognized banners which were testimonials of excellence. Upstarts are not easily tolerated by those who, in various sports have claimed dominance as their own province.

Hires at Baylor have more than a passing interest in both expanding the boundaries of the niche that Baylor occupies and solidifying it. This takes a special person, and it takes time. Some fit easily into that role, and it is not a knock on Kim Mulkey that she struggled with it at times. I know that personally, but will not go into it.
What she did do was more remarkable than most imagine. Collen is, I think, a better fit, but at this point we don't know if she is a comparable coach because that takes time to ascertain. I think that her salary probably reflects that, and as she proves her case, it will grow accordingly. That is as it should be.

I think that this was a good year for her in many aspects of her role in a sport that, because of Mulkey, is more important at Baylor than it is at most institutions around the conference and around the nation. The success that Baylor has had can be seen in the effort of other programs in the conference to develop competitive programs, and they are succeeding, starting with a slate of very fine coaches and improved recruiting.
slimecap
slimecap said:

TRANSFER PORTAL
Sarah Ashlee Barker
Georgia > ?

Guard 6-0 SO Birmingham AL
.. started all 31 games in 2021-22
.. avg 7.7 PPG, 4.0 RPG & 2.4 APG

- Raoul twitter feed, 23 March 2022

UPDATE
March 28, 2022

slimecap
Texas A&M NLI signed
Gia Cooke
Nov 10, 2021

UPDATE
April 11, 2022

slimecap
Texas A&M NLI signed
Brianna McDaniel
Nov 10, 2021

UPDATE
April 11, 2022

slimecap

TRANSFER PORTAL
Tineya Hylton
Georgia > Texas A&M
April 14, 2022
slimecap

(Right) Former Georgia assistant coach Chelsea Newton

TRANSFER PORTAL
Word on the street
Janiah Barker on Texas A&M campus today
#3 2022 HoopGurlz
Signed Georgia NLI when Joni Taylor was HC there
slimecap
slimecap said:

74Bear said:

And yes,
Baylor fans will find her as competition
for Texas recruits
unlike Blair in the last few years.
DARIUS TAYLOR
Husband of Joni Taylor

Dec 27, 2017
Excerpts

Nicki Collen's staff with the Atlanta Dream
now includes Darius Taylor ...

Taylor spent five seasons with Dawn Staley at South Carolina, helping to develop last season's second overall pick in the WNBA Draft, Alaina Coates, and this year's expected top pick, A'ja Wilson. In Taylor's last year on staff, the Gamecocks reached their first Final Four in program history.

Nicki Collen stated
"I couldn't be more excited to welcome Darius and his family to the Atlanta Dream. Darius is a rising star in this profession and someone who understands winning. From his time in basketball operations with USA Basketball, to working with Dawn Staley at Temple and South Carolina, he has helped produce winning players and teams his entire career.

"Darius has a very calm demeanor and his background helping professional athletes navigate life after pro sports gives him a quality that I know our Dream players will greatly respect. His strength in the player development area is something I identified as a need for our team and his work ethic matches what I want to model for our team."

- Excerpts from Howard Megdal, High Post Hoops

UPDATE
April 16. 2022

"Taylor's husband, Darius Taylor, is the
Atlanta Dream assistant general manager and will remain with the WNBA team.

There had been speculation he might join his wife's coaching staff.

- Robert Cessna, The Eagle, 16 April 2022
slimecap
slimecap

slimecap

RECRUITING
Excerpt from A&M Athletics Press Release
March 24, 2022

Q
Aside from what you look for in your players in building a team
what do you look for them on the court, the Xs and Os?
What are some characteristics of a team you want to build around?

A
Head Coach Joni Taylor stated
"We love hybrid players.
Like, positionless basketball is what we love.
Whatever is in your wheelhouse, we're going to let you do.
So positionless basketball,
we love to move players around, pieces around.

So we look for players who can do multiple things.
We want to be able -- everybody 1 through 4 that can rebound and go,
let's push the basketball, push the pace.
Those are things that we look for.

And outside of that is what other intangibles do they bring, right?
Their effort, their attitude, their camaraderie with their teammates. We spend a lot of time watching how they interact with their teammates because that's all a part of it.

We want hybrid players who can do multiple things.
Obviously, scoring the basketball is important. But also defending at a high level is important because that's going to be the cornerstone of who we are."
slimecap
#3 2022 HoopGurlz overall

74Bear
Aggies got a bargain in getting Taylor in todays salary world. $850k. Season tickets will increase bigtime.
slimecap

Texas WBB announces
former Texas A&M player Sydney Carter as
Director of player development

Link
https://texassports.com/news/2022/4/22/womens-basketball-womens-basketball-announces-sydney-carter-as-director-of-player-development.aspx
slimecap

USA BASKETBALL
Women's U18 National Team
Coaching Announcements
May 9, 2022

Head Coach Joni Taylor HC Texas A&M
Assistant Coach DeLisha Milton-Jones HC Old Dominion
Assistant Coach Teri Moren HC Indiana
On-court Coach Amaka Agugua-Hamilton HC Virginia
On-court Coach Denise Dillon HC Villanova

Trials May 31-June 4, 2022 Colorado Springs CO
Open to athletes 18 years old or younger

- USA Basketball website
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.