How a Full Roster Will Make a Difference

2,248 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by fredbear
Adriacus Peratuun
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Here are the stats for last season. Note both the cumulative minutes and the per game average minutes.

The team had four players with too many cumulative minutes and with average minutes that were too high [note: not blaming staff, their hands were tied by the roster size]. Most college coaches will tell you that 1,000-1,050 is the max quality minutes that players have in them [even when reaching the Finals] in any given college season. Average minutes should range from 25-26 [high energy players] to 28ish. It is generally accepted that 30 mpg is too high.

But game minutes are only part of the formula. Even when using a men's practice team, reps on drills matter. 15 players means running every third rep. 10 [or less] players increases the rep load [with less recovery time]. Watching other reps is a learning experience. Choosing to run fewer reps due to smaller #s means less observation/teaching.

A depleted roster means playing minutes get too high. The natural reaction is to limit practice time to save legs. Less practice time means less development/growth. It often also means less intensive practices [which shows in game play].

Simply by getting the roster at a normal level [currently at 11, expecting 13-14] the impact on practice intensity & average game minutes should be noticeable during the season and VERY noticeable in the post-season. Fresh legs win games, dead legs lose games.
blueeyedbear
Everyone talks about and focus on game minutes - Very excellent points on the practice minutes and the cumulative effect over the course of the season. Very good analysis on why the team ran out of gas in the Big 12 Tournament and 2nd round of NCAA
Adriacus Peratuun
blueeyedbear said:

Everyone talks about and focus on game minutes - Very excellent points on the practice minutes and the cumulative effect over the course of the season. Very good analysis on why the team ran out of gas in the Big 12 Tournament and 2nd round of NCAA
There couldn't have been a worse feeling for the staff than sitting at games with complete game control but starters still on the floor. Unless it was the "we need more reps on this item but have a game in 2 days" feeling in practice.
blueeyedbear
Adriacus Peratuun said:

blueeyedbear said:

There couldn't have been a worse feeling for the staff than sitting at games with complete game control but starters still on the floor. Unless it was the "we need more reps on this item but have a game in 2 days" feeling in practice.
Agreed - How the Staff maintained and keep the team focused and prepared and more impressively motivated to play through fatigue is something most poster(s) have no clue whatsoever about. That may have been the most impressive accomplishment for CNC and Staff that they will never get the credit they deserve.
Talking with several team members - they admit they were exhausted towards the end of the season but they wanted to play hard for CNC and staff - just ran out of gas - last season was a profile in courage to plagiarize a famous book.
Last years team may well be my favorite team - not because of team W/L record but because they played for each other, for the fans and for the coaching staff - they left it all out on the court.
GelaBear
blueeyedbear said:

Adriacus Peratuun said:

blueeyedbear said:

Agreed - How the Staff maintained and keep the team focused and prepared and more impressively motivated to play through fatigue is something most poster(s) have no clue whatsoever about. That may have been the most impressive accomplishment for CNC and Staff that they will never get the credit they deserve.
Talking with several team members - they admit they were exhausted towards the end of the season but they wanted to play hard for CNC and staff - just ran out of gas - last season was a profile in courage to plagiarize a famous book.
Last years team may well be my favorite team - not because of team W/L record but because they played for each other, for the fans and for the coaching staff - they left it all out on the court.

Probably will be my favorite team as well. They stayed to play at Baylor, which was huge in my book. They gave everything they had last year. So much respect for the team, coaches and staff.
Adriacus Peratuun
blueeyedbear said:

Adriacus Peratuun said:

blueeyedbear said:

The numbers of this past season would have been really hard for a returning coach using the same O & D schemes.

A new coach installing new O & D schemes that were massively different than what the team ran before…….insanely difficult.
GarlandBear84
I imagine it was quite a conundrum for Collen. She came in so late and it was hard to get transfers knowing our starting five was solid. Yet she wanted to take advantage of the final season for stars Smith, Egbo and Lewis. I wonder how she feels in hindsight. The bright side is that this off-season she had plenty of minutes to offer recruits and transfers.
Dr. J
blueeyedbear said:

I will say this again and again, ad nauseum:

I hate conference tournaments. Nothing but a money grab for the conference that puts players at risk of injury both during the conference tourney and NCAAs due to the lack of rest between games.

I'm not saying to tank and save for the tourney but, I believe we would have gotten a little further this past year of depleted team members, if we did not have the conference tourney to play in.

Regular season winner is THE winner....PERIOD.
Eball
National Champions played 37 games total and here are averages for their top 7 player rotation.

Boston 1056, 28.5 per game
Henderson 152, 30.9
Cooke 982, 27.3
Beal 891, 24.1
Saxton 795, 21.5
Amihere 520, 16.8
Cardoso 427, 13.3

They were likely the deepest team in the Country and based on portal and recruiting will likely be as deep if not deeper.
blueeyedbear
Dr. J said:

blueeyedbear said:

I will say this again and again, ad nauseum:

I hate conference tournaments. Nothing but a money grab for the conference that puts players at risk of injury both during the conference tourney and NCAAs due to the lack of rest between games.

I'm not saying to tank and save for the tourney but, I believe we would have gotten a little further this past year of depleted team members, if we did not have the conference tourney to play in.

Regular season winner is THE winner....PERIOD.
I have been saying that since Conference Tournament was announced.
fredbear
AP, u said good things were coming! It could hardly be bettter. Congrats on being a prophet!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.