Gillespie's Role

3,550 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by historian
Bone Squad
How long do you want to ignore this user?
What are reasonable expectations for Kendra Gillespie next year?

Does she mostly ride the bench again? Does she take on a much larger role strictly because we still won't have much in the way of "bigs" on the roster? Or does she take on a much larger role because she improves drastically in the offseason and proves to be a legitimate Big XII post player?

I never really saw any flashes of brilliance from her this year, but to be fair, I think about how people are almost always down on freshman post players (including both Cox and Brown). I looked at her bio, and she was more highly regarded as a recruit than I had remembered:

Quote:

Ranked No. 58 overall and was the No. 10-ranked forward on the espnW HoopGurlz Top 100 for the class of 2021 … Played her first two seasons of high school ball at Norman High School, where she led her team to an Oklahoma Class 6A State title … As a sophomore she put up 20.8 points, 13.9 rebounds and 3.0 blocks per contest … Transferred to Harding Charter Prep for final two seasons … As a junior, she helped her new team to a 22-8 record and followed in her senior campaign by averaging 26.8 points per contest on the way to Class 4A All-State honors from The Oklahoman … She played for her mother, Latesha Woods, at Harding Charter Prep and was a member of two AAU teams, including OKC Lions Elite and Jason Terry Lady Jets … Also competed in track and field in high school and won a state title in the shot put with Norman High School.
Also, what reactions should I expect from people when I continually insist that she is Freddie's sister and Dizzy's granddaughter?
Bearprof
I believe she is skilled and can be an interesting matchup problem for opposing teams. I think the conditioning issue is an obvious one and although one cannot change one's body type, one can maximize one's effectiveness with better conditioning. She evidently has a nice shot and she definitely can have a role off the bench against 5s and 4s from a physical perspective. I doubt there aren't many will be able to push her around. I'm hoping that she can play a bit of high/low post - to be an outside shooting threat and to rebound and flat out wear some opponents down. Playing 10 efficient minutes per game would be a Godsend to next year's rotation.
Adriacus Peratuun
Bone Squad said:

What are reasonable expectations for Kendra Gillespie next year?

Does she mostly ride the bench again? Does she take on a much larger role strictly because we still won't have much in the way of "bigs" on the roster? Or does she take on a much larger role because she improves drastically in the offseason and proves to be a legitimate Big XII post player?

I never really saw any flashes of brilliance from her this year, but to be fair, I think about how people are almost always down on freshman post players (including both Cox and Brown). I looked at her bio, and she was more highly regarded as a recruit than I had remembered:

Quote:

Ranked No. 58 overall and was the No. 10-ranked forward on the espnW HoopGurlz Top 100 for the class of 2021 … Played her first two seasons of high school ball at Norman High School, where she led her team to an Oklahoma Class 6A State title … As a sophomore she put up 20.8 points, 13.9 rebounds and 3.0 blocks per contest … Transferred to Harding Charter Prep for final two seasons … As a junior, she helped her new team to a 22-8 record and followed in her senior campaign by averaging 26.8 points per contest on the way to Class 4A All-State honors from The Oklahoman … She played for her mother, Latesha Woods, at Harding Charter Prep and was a member of two AAU teams, including OKC Lions Elite and Jason Terry Lady Jets … Also competed in track and field in high school and won a state title in the shot put with Norman High School.
Also, what reactions should I expect from people when I continually insist that she is Freddie's sister and Dizzy's granddaughter?
She will be in the starting lineup for Jeremy Heffner's workout team for the foreseeable future. For Coach Collen's team, mop up duty it is.
BaylorBears_254
She won't play much, I honestly don't expect her to play much at all in the next 2-3 years.

Unless she takes a a huge step towards conditioning and skilled training, I don't see her being a rotational player for us.

Hope Im wrong 100%, but if NC pulls off Blackwell. She's getting no considerable PT next season

I 100% expect us to take a talented post player or two in 2023 as well, so unless she has worked on those two things i listed above by then, she won't see much PT.
Lynnp550
In a recent picture with other team members, I though Kendra looked far more trim and fit than at season's end. Remember she had an injury to overcome, she was the only freshman so no roommate, homesick, pretty tough year for her, and yet she stayed the course. Cautiously optimistic for her.
fredbear
She is a winner! I believe she will make a real contribution! Hustles, athletic, and skilled. I'll buy her stock! It's going to rise! Grateful she is a bear.
GelaBear
I think Kendra showed promise. She has a nice shot, holds her own under the basket and sure makes it down the court faster than some posts I've watched. She was a freshman.
Big Bear
Portal..
Brian Ethridge
Staff
The knee injury hurt her development this year. She showed some flashes late in the year when she ripped through and powered to the basket in the first ncaa game or versus Tech.

She does look better now and I think she can give some minutes off the bench.
DanaDane
Nice young lady but, as someone mentioned above, destined for mop up duty only unless significant strides are made in multiple areas and even then it would be 2-3 years down the road before any level of meaningful minutes. Roster will be much deeper next year, so she probably won't even see as much time as she did this year.
lookin4awin
Kendra has some athleticism and is fluid in the paint. She seemed to be able to handle the ball. Since we may be hurting a little for some size in the paint, she may get some minutes. Sometimes players like Kendra can be effective on defense for ten minutes a game and with five fouls to give. And, who knows, she may show a lot of improvement with a full off season
Olympia3
She has good feet. I think she can contribute.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Collen even talked about her needing to get healthy in her podcast with Ashley. Her knee was not right when she arrived and she is just now getting healthy and in conditioning.
historian
I would love to see her play meaningful minutes & contribute significantly.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.