Lauren Cox waived by Sparks

7,713 Views | 63 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by ctxbear
HoustonBear15
How long do you want to ignore this user?

This league is so tough. Lauren was waived before she was even able to make it to training camp.
blackie
Outside of Griner and to some extent Sims, our alumni record in the WNBS has not been stellar, to say the least. Hopefully that will change with Smith (have my doubts about Egbo).
Task Force 2015
Sophia Young was pretty terrific.Otherwise I agree.
blackie
Task Force 2015 said:

Yes, I forgot about her, but that was a long time ago. The league may have changed.....and my memory certainly has!
Adriacus Peratuun
This issue [lack of professional success] is the single largest negative recruiting talking point used against Baylor.

LGBT issues being a close second talking point.

Having Didi Richards, Nalyssa Smith, etc. succeed will go a long way toward eliminating the former.
Cp2310
I think a lot of the WNBA issues will change with the addition of coach Collen. The system that coach Mulkey ran was awesome for college but her players had issues adjusting to the "W". Coach Collen recruits at the same level as her predecessor but the difference will be the pro style system Baylor now runs.
Big Bear
I don't give a damn about the WNBA. I want a winner at BU. Prepare players to win at the collegiate level.
blackie
Big Bear said:

I don't give a damn about the WNBA. I want a winner at BU. Prepare players to win at the collegiate level.
Understand your point. But the top players whose goal is a professional career want to get to the "League" or a lucrative foreign career. If they don't think you offer them the appropriate preparation, they will look elsewhere. Just preparing them for the collegiate level would be like grooming students just to do well on standardized tests such as the GRE (if such a thing still exists....been too long since I graduated) and then when they hit the real world, they aren't prepared. In other words, all they know is book learning but they can't put what they were taught to practice after graduation to satisfy what the business world is looking for.
Tylerbear
Adriacus Peratuun said:

This issue [lack of professional success] is the single largest negative recruiting talking point used against Baylor.

LGBT issues being a close second talking point.

Having Didi Richards, Nalyssa Smith, etc. succeed will go a long way toward eliminating the former.

I can't address the "LGBT issues" but having a former WNBA COTY certainly can't hurt that perception at all regarding the first issue
Cp2310
Wait, are you saying you don't care about Baylor athletes after they complete their time competing for the bears? That's interesting. As a Baylor alumni and former athlete here. I have to say that's an awful statement. We Bears are a small family and should stick together till the grave. Probably need to make sure you don't get to interact with the recruits or players. Lol.
SIC EM BEARS!!!
Adriacus Peratuun
Big Bear said:

Such a stupid statement.

Don't prepare accounting students to function post graduation. Law students should only focus on Moot Court and not actually practicing law. Pre-Med should never worry about treating real patients.

Cannot fathom anyone posting anything this mindless.
Olympia3
blackie said:

Task Force 2015 said:

Yes, I forgot about her, but that was a long time ago. The league may have changed.....and my memory certainly has!

Odessy Sims was pretty good.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Adriacus Peratuun said:

Big Bear said:

Such a stupid statement.

Don't prepare accounting students to function post graduation. Law students should only focus on Moot Court and not actually practicing law. Pre-Med should never worry about treating real patients.

Cannot fathom anyone posting anything this mindless.

Yeah, I don't get people ****ting on people's dreams when they should be receiving support. The WNBA pay has increased and you'll see money go up in overseas markets as well.
Eball
Who would have thought that Brown and Cox would both be out of the WNBA and Egbo in? She had another double/double today .
Lynnp550
Big Bear said:

The most disturbing thing about this post is the number of people who agree with Big Bear's bizarre attitude. Somebody please explain to me how a coach could train players for success in the W without simultaneously teaching them how to win at college level.
GelaBear
Lynnp550 said:

Big Bear said:

The most disturbing thing about this post is the number of people who agree with Big Bear's bizarre attitude. Somebody please explain to me how a coach could train players for success in the W without simultaneously teaching them how to win at college level.

It can't be done!
Lynnp550
Exactly.

On hoopgurlz, Queen was ranked 7th overall, 2nd at her position, higher than Lyss' 13/4. I have suspected Queen would thrive if she got a chance in the W. Time will tell.
Brusinbear2001
i do not think Queen Egbo liked Mulkey and that system it did not fit her at all. I think that is why NC system we saw more good things from here. And that just got her ready for the W so she is going to just continue to thrive. I'm so proud of her
Brusinbear2001
and the thing about her not liking Kim is not just a belief she posted on snap chat when it was a year from Kim's departure a video of them in the meeting and she typed having Kim leave was the best thing that happened for her
drahthaar
I'm probably wrong, but Lauren getting cut strikes me as a failure of coaches to develop existing skills.
Eball
You just can't help it can you?
GelaBear
And I think that sometimes it's just a number's problem. There are only so many spots on the roster. Some people will make it in the W and some won't. And that, boys and girls, is why it's important to take advantage of your scholarship.
IowaBear
Was thinking the same thing
WacoKelly83
Moon got waved by the Lynx.
drahthaar
GelaBear said:

And I think that sometimes it's just a number's problem. There are only so many spots on the roster. Some people will make it in the W and some won't. And that, boys and girls, is why it's important to take advantage of your scholarship.

Truth there; lots of variables, but Lauren has too much going for her to not stick with the right staff IMO.
Brusinbear2001
it is literally what they player said on snapchat! i'm not making any of it up when you are comfortable in a situation you being to thrive.She started slow got comfortable and you could tell. It is not shade at Mulkey it is just Queen did not like it that is it.
3rdgenbear
No, EBall has you right, you somehow feel like taking a knock at Mulkey will help CNC, or you just hate Mulkey. In either case, it's not productive.

Brusinbear2001
i do not feel that way i am saying that the new style has helped Queen. She posted it her self!!!!!! I am just saying you can see the difference with her being comfortable in a pro style system that is all i'm saying. I do not hate Kim Mulkey at all i am just discussing what QUEEN EGBO POSTED ON SOCIAL MEDIA just like all of us do and that was that coach kim mulkey leaving was the best thing that could have happened to her. And I am saying i can see on the court that it is true for her!!! It's not a bash it is discussing how players for the Baylor Womens basketball team felt about a situation and how they improved on the court. It could have been anyone Queen could have transferred to a different university but if a different style helped her then it helped her game period. Stats say that it is true. Why did we rely on Queen so much because her game is impactful you can see it in the Cancun Tournament. Throughout the Big 12 regular season.
Wbbfan29
I do remember this , but she deleted it fairly fast as Snapchat usually keeps post up for 24hrs. A few players took digs at "LSU's Coach" during the season. They have to right to feel how they feel and it's just life. The parents of a player took a few shots on a Facebook post as well. But let's stick to the positive, even if a player liked their new coach more than the old, It's happened. Hell I like my new boss better than my old too. I didn't see it as taking a dig at LSU coach because I seen the post as well. You are just stating what you seen. Whether they like it or not , Queen said what she said and unfortunately it will trigger some people.
Brusinbear2001
this was just the other day when she posted on Snapchat i think it was more of a looking back at it her leaving was good for her game. But i am not making it up that's what she said. It wasn't a dig I think we all have worked better under a different manager or learned better from a different teacher and we all have opinions hers was that this style is better for her and the numbers prove it
Wbbfan29
Anything positive said about CNC people will take it as bashing Mulkey. I would say just dead the conversation because the fourm will turn in to world war 3. I would just suggest not mentions her name because I don't want to continue talking about another university coach.
Wbbfan29
Check your dm.
Brusinbear2001
i just thought it fit because we are surprised queen is performing well in the W but we saw what she is capable of in the season and now her dream of playing at the next level is in her hands she had to go for it
Adriacus Peratuun
Cox faces three difficult issues:

1. no matter how unfair it may seem, diabetes places physical limitations on her. the older she gets, the bigger the impact.

2. she has to fix her shot mechanics. She has four clearly identifiable problems with her jump shot.

3. she has to stop windmilling her arms on D. at the college level, players weren't developed enough to make her pay for that tendency. Pros make her pay.

COVID hasn't helped, but she needs plenty of time with high level coaching on her shooting mechanics.
baylor1984
Players have every right to express their opinion about a current or former coach. It doesn't mean their opinion is right but they can express it anyways. Lyss, Queen and Caitlyn all have NC rings courtesy of the former coach so for that they should be grateful.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.