Lauren Cox waived by Sparks

7,715 Views | 63 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by ctxbear
BUBBFAN
How long do you want to ignore this user?
baylor1984 said:

Players have every right to express their opinion about a current or former coach. It doesn't mean their opinion is right but they can express it anyways. Lyss, Queen and Caitlyn all have NC rings courtesy of the former coach so for that they should be grateful.
And I have no doubt that they are.
drahthaar
Adriacus Peratuun said:

Cox faces three difficult issues:

1. no matter how unfair it may seem, diabetes places physical limitations on her. the older she gets, the bigger the impact.

2. she has to fix her shot mechanics. She has four clearly identifiable problems with her jump shot.

3. she has to stop windmilling her arms on D. at the college level, players weren't developed enough to make her pay for that tendency. Pros make her pay.

COVID hasn't helped, but she needs plenty of time with high level coaching on her shooting mechanics.

The one item not "fixable" by coaching/discipline is her physical reality. Like you note, it's going to be a problem over time. I'm not certain how big an issue it is currently or, for that matter, while at BU. But he did have some issues a time while in college as I recall.
Eball
Wbbfan29 said:

Anything positive said about CNC people will take it as bashing Mulkey. I would say just dead the conversation because the fourm will turn in to world war 3. I would just suggest not mentions her name because I don't want to continue talking about another university coach.
Now that is not true at all...Folks can and do post very positive things about CNC and Kim they are not mutually exclusive. It is the posters that just can't post without taking some shot at Kim that keep things stirred up. Kim will always be associated with Baylor WBB it is what it is. Does not mean that CNC won't writer her own legacy but you just don't wipe away the past and expect folks to allow all those good thing that happened to be minimized and torn down. Quit taking shots and people won't shoot back.
blackie
Yes, Mulkey will be associated with Baylor WBB, just like Grant Teaff and Art Briles will be associated with Baylor FB. But the only people (coaches) that matter today are Collen and Aranda. What they do now is what will determine the programs going forward.
Brusinbear2001
definitely don't think she is not grateful for the NC ring but when it comes to your game and you feeling boxed and that being taken away feels good you grow more. I saw the growth with her and it wasn't at its peak so i think Indiana especially can benefit from her having so much growing left to do.
baylor1984
Brusinbear2001 said:

definitely don't think she is not grateful for the NC ring but when it comes to your game and you feeling boxed and that being taken away feels good you grow more. I saw the growth with her and it wasn't at its peak so i think Indiana especially can benefit from her having so much growing left to do.
Can you expound on what growth you saw ? Her PPG, Rebounds, Blocks and Shooting Percentage were all almost the same as her JR. year ( they were actually a fraction less in each case} . The only thing that went up was her FT shooting from 63 to 70 percent and that had increased from 49 to 63 percent the previous year. Queen to me was the same player she was previously which when she was on was very good and when she wasn't the team struggled. Queen's game might be more suited to the WNBA and I look forward to how she plays this year.
IowaBear
This was my exact question as well
Breakpoint45
If Cox was released before she could make it to camp, that probably means that she's finishing her overseas obligations as is some other players. The league has made a point of emphasis about players prioritizing the W over the financial benefits of overseas play and Lauren may be a casualty of leagues new stance. Players like Candice Parker and Arike Ogunbowale were absent from their team's rosters as of their last preseason games. And there are others who have stated that they have problems with the league's stance, especially some of the stars who triple their WNBA salaries by playing overseas.

We have seen how Lauren can dominate games defensively. It's highly possible that if she's playing starters minutes away from the W, she can develop into the player who can impact a WNBA team the way that she did in Waco. I also can't wait to see Kristy Wallace, who so far is putting up numbers in limited minutes.
baylor1984
IowaBear said:

This was my exact question as well
She looked and acted the same to me and the numbers pretty much bear that out.
Brusinbear2001
She played with a look that she felt comfortable that she didn't have to be perfect because you learn from a mistake and got coached on that. From what i saw we didn't see as many lows from Queen this year she would have a bad game shooting but get a ton of boards. Or she would score a bunch I just think she looked more comfortable from my viewpoint as a fan and when she posted her comment on social media it helped me understand that was the case. And coach nicki wishes she can get her hands on her longer cause she has so much more growth which they will pull out of her in the WNBA. Indiana was perfect for Lyss and Queen to go to because they need them. If she would have went basically anywhere else i don't think she would make a roster because of there already being talent. But in Indiana that growth that she has is worth trying to pull out more because she can be great.
Brusinbear2001
you can also look at the comment i just did. That is my viewpoint as a fan l. When she made that comment it made sense because you can see it in her energy. I don't have to believe things like you i'm here to express my opinions as a Baylor fan and that is my opinion based off information given off of a social media source. I DONT CARE IF YOU HAVE A DIFFERENT OPINION. I will listen and maybe follow that or not but it is what it is. End of the day i'm happy where the state of baylor womens basketball team is right now. I see the vision. that it
IowaBear
You're yelling for no reason, I had the same question as 1984. You answered it by stating you think she felt more comfortable. I'm not sure how that correlates to her game being much improved. But nonetheless not going to argue because you're free to your opinion. Quit taking everything as an attack on you.
baylor1984
Brusinbear2001 said:

She played with a look that she felt comfortable that she didn't have to be perfect because you learn from a mistake and got coached on that. From what i saw we didn't see as many lows from Queen this year she would have a bad game shooting but get a ton of boards. Or she would score a bunch I just think she looked more comfortable from my viewpoint as a fan and when she posted her comment on social media it helped me understand that was the case. And coach nicki wishes she can get her hands on her longer cause she has so much more growth which they will pull out of her in the WNBA. Indiana was perfect for Lyss and Queen to go to because they need them. If she would have went basically anywhere else i don't think she would make a roster because of there already being talent. But in Indiana that growth that she has is worth trying to pull out more because she can be great.
Thanks.
Brusinbear2001
you never comment on here unless you want to argue about something. I saw her have more good games this past season then i have before. Like i said if she didn't score well she helped us defense or rebounding. Or the other way around. People on here cannot have opinions unless the fit what everyone else has to say and it is dumb.
IowaBear
No one's arguing with you , I ask for your thoughts on why you believe she's so much improved. Quit trying to play victim for no reason at all. You are ask a genuine question. You answered nothing more nothing less. Who said you couldn't have an opinion ???? Who ?? I'll wait
Adriacus Peratuun
blackie said:

Yes, Mulkey will be associated with Baylor WBB, just like Grant Teaff and Art Briles will be associated with Baylor FB. But the only people (coaches) that matter today are Collen and Aranda. What they do now is what will determine the programs going forward.
Hate to break it to you, but half of Baylor's current students couldn't identify Grant Teaff. Within a decade only a tiny % of dedicated college sports fans will know the names Teaff, Briles, and/or Mulkey.

Within 5 years, far less than half of girl's high school basketball players will know that Mulkey coached at Baylor.

My friend that teaches high school told me that less than 10% of her students can correctly name the last 5 Presidents of the USA. To this generation, knowledge of history is simply unimportant.
Brusinbear2001
you came out of no where saying how i always come for kim you haven't posted on here in a long time. i feel since season has ended from what i noticed. and it was about how i come in here and bash kim. i don't bash her i liked her when she was here and now she is not i'm not worried about what she has going on at another school. it was random to me that you came out of no where after my comment once again.
IowaBear
Where did I say you bash Kim? I agreed with EBALL but I never said you're directly bashing Kim. As far as me being here I spend most my time on the FB and MBB side. You've long been one of the several begging everyone to move on from Mulkey. You should probably do the same, no need to bring her up she's gone. I'll tell you for the 245642 time (hopefully it sinks in this time) I support CNC and what she's building here in Waco.
Brusinbear2001
the whole post wasn't even about her it was about queen feeling more comfortable on the court once she left and it makes sense that the WNBA is a place where she can thrive. That's the point behind my post.
slimecap
Lauren,
My family is always following your career.
Best wishes as you take your next steps in your journey.

Eball
Adriacus Peratuun said:

blackie said:

Hate to break it to you, but half of Baylor's current students couldn't identify Grant Teaff. Within a decade only a tiny % of dedicated college sports fans will know the names Teaff, Briles, and/or Mulkey.

Within 5 years, far less than half of girl's high school basketball players will know that Mulkey coached at Baylor.

My friend that teaches high school told me that less than 10% of her students can correctly name the last 5 Presidents of the USA. To this generation, knowledge of history is simply unimportant.
Well, when you right you right...can't disagree with your general observations and logic. I guess at 65 looking back I won't forget but you are right the new ones coming along will not remember unless one of us old geezers bring it up!
SABaylorFan
Thanks for posting the picture. Where is (was?) Cox playing overseas this year?
Wbbfan29
There was never a shot at Mulkey. That is it, that's all. People are going to defend and shade both mulkey and collen. It will never end. But what can be done about it... Nothing. I guess there should be a green vs gold war in the Ferrell before the season starts. Maybe that will settle things. I sit in 117 row 28 seat 1 if anyone want to join me and watch.
slimecap
SABaylorFan said:

Thanks for posting the picture. Where is (was?) Cox playing overseas this year?
Spain
IDK EUSKOTREN
I have seen photos posted for Spring 2022
Wbbfan29
Anyways.. wow about those bears !!!
BaylorBears_254
I laugh when people say that Queen benefited from NC's system…She legit had the same EXACT play style with NC as she did with KM.

Nothing changed, she didn't become a better scorer, rebounder, or anything. She was always an impact player, staying on the floor was her main issue.

I laughed when folks said she wouldn't be drafted or would be drafted in the later rounds lol.
3rdgenbear
Lauren was one of the all time greats!

Thanks for the update.
blackie
BaylorBears_254 said:

I laugh when people say that Queen benefited from NC's system…She legit had the same EXACT play style with NC as she did with KM.

Nothing changed, she didn't become a better scorer, rebounder, or anything. She was always an impact player, staying on the floor was her main issue.

I laughed when folks said she wouldn't be drafted or would be drafted in the later rounds lol.
You are correct in stating that her problem was staying on the floor. The only thing that changed, if anything between KM and NC was that NC did not always adhere to KM's 2 fouls in the first half and you sit rule which was rarely, if ever, not enforced by Kim regardless of the game situation. So, potentially she might have gotten a bit more playing time under NC than under KM in games where she committed an early two fouls which MAY have resulted in her becoming more adept at learning how to be able to play in foul trouble, but that is not the point of my post nor a reason to discuss the above.

But, perhaps the pro coaches can figure out (or have figured out) or work with her to be able to stay on the floor. If they can't, it doesn't matter how good she may be. If you can't stay on the floor because of foul trouble your time will be short. Hopefully that problem is being / has been resolved.
ctxbear
I think the "limited roster spots in the WBNA" rightfully gets a lot of attention. But an element of that that doesn't get as much attention is that the number of women's college graduates every year who are talented enough to play in the league are probably roughly equivalent to the number of men who are talented enough to play in the NBA. Add all those factors in and a 1-2 year career in the WNBA (like those had by KB, LC, and T'ea) is probably akin to a 6-7 year career in the NBA.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.