Big 12 happenings

1,134,092 Views | 5531 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by slimecap
slimecap
How long do you want to ignore this user?

2021 RECRUITING
Kiya Dorroh

slimecap

WNBA
Bridget Carleton

Pale Rider
Truly hope she makes it. Great young lady.
slimecap

ESPNW Top 12 Seniors for 2019-20

DOMESTIC BATTERY CHARGES

"Tynice Martin, 22, of Morgantown, is charged with domestic battery by the Morgantown Police Department. Police responded to Twigg Street in Morgantown's First Ward neighborhood for a reported domestic dispute on July 15, according to a criminal complaint. The investigation showed Martin arrived at her ex-girlfriend's house, entered the residence, and pulled the victim's hair, according to the complaint. Martin and another woman, identified as Alexandria, then allegedly pushed the victim against a storm door, where she was choked, beaten and shoved. According to court records, a warrant was issued on July 24 and Martin was arraigned in Monongalia County Magistrate Court on Aug. 2 before Magistrate Jim Nabors.

Court records also show Martin received a citation for possession of a controlled substance on December 29, 2018, which was 11 games into the Mountaineers' season. Martin, the Mountaineers' top scorer, was not suspended, but was held out of that day's game against Niagara as a 'precautionary measure,' according to the school's postgame notes. Martin then played and started in the final 22 games to end last season. Martin pleaded no contest to the possession citation on February 15 and paid a $215.25 fine on Aug. 5."

- Justin Jackson, West Virginia Metro News, 22 Aug 2019
Florda_mike
^^^ Would NCAA look at it any different if a Baylor player did such?
ScottS
Isn't this the kind of violation that CKM would toss someone off the team for? And McCarty just holds them out of 1 game?
ScottS
Wow, the magistrate is gomer pyle
blueeyedbear
ScottS said:

Isn't this the kind of violation that CKM would toss someone off the team for? And McCarty just holds them out of 1 game?
Yes CKM would have and has done so in the past. Really disappointed in Mike Cary - I always thought he had real ethics - not a good look for parents when this gets circulated
BearFan33
A one game suspension seems very light. Aren't there like guidelines for this kind of behavior or is it completely up to the school? I can't imagine the media fury had something like this happened at Baylor.
whitetrash
ScottS said:

Wow, the magistrate is gomer pyle
More likely Barney Fife (Don Knotts was from Morgantown WV).
Chibears2
Read the article again. Unless I am reading it wrong, the one game suspension is for the possession charge in December. The assault was in July, and no doubt the reason she did not travel to Italy with the team in August. I think "indefinite suspension" was term used at that time. But again, reread the article to see if my take is correct.
blueeyedbear
Chibears2 said:

Read the article again. Unless I am reading it wrong, the one game suspension is for the possession charge in December. The assault was in July, and no doubt the reason she did not travel to Italy with the team in August. I think "indefinite suspension" was term used at that time. But again, reread the article to see if my take is correct.
What is your point ??
BearFan33
Chibears2 said:

I think you have it right. They don't talk about what discipline happened for what I'm assuming is the earlier assault charge. Missing the one game was for the second strike of the possession charge.
blueeyedbear
BearFan33 said:

Chibears2 said:

I think you have it right. They don't talk about what discipline happened for what I'm assuming is the earlier assault charge. Missing the one game was for the second strike of the possession charge.
No - Look at the time line
December 29th - Citation for possession of a controlled substance
December 30th - Held out of Game vs Niagara for "Precautionary Measure" (Cover up)
Finished the season starting remaining 22 games
February 15th - Pleaded no contest to possession citation
July 15th - Charged with Domestic Battery
August 5th - Paid $ 215.25 Fine for possession citation

This almost exactly mirrors what Alexis Morris did.
Mike Cary issues an indefinite suspension
Kim Mulkey issues dismissal.

The contrasting discipline is what everyone is commenting on
To answer another question the NCAA does not have any guidelines it is up yo respective schools/programs

With Kim you get sideways with the law except for traffic tickets your gone !!
Russell Gym
They are probably using the indefinite suspension to let due process take its course. It may still end up being a dismissal.

Not saying that's the right approach.
Chibears2
My point was that it seemed to me some people were saying the one game suspension was for the assault, but I read the article as saying it was for the possession charge. I know she was suspended indefinitely before the Italy trip in August, and if I read the article correctly, the assault was in July, after, the one game suspension in December. Nowhere in my post did I make any reference to what Coach Mulkey would have done or not done. My suggestion was merely that some people might not have noticed the timeline in the article, and they might want to reread it to see if they concurred with my timeline.

BearFan33
blueeyedbear said:

BearFan33 said:

Chibears2 said:

December 30th - Held out of Game vs Niagara for "Precautionary Measure" (Cover up)

To answer another question the NCAA does not have any guidelines it is up yo respective schools/programs

I was thinking the domestic issue was last year by the way its laid out, but now it makes sense. Where are people seeing an indefinite suspension?
Chibears2
Wasn't Morris actually suspended for one year but still in school after her first encounter with the law? Wasn't it actually her second offense involving law enforcement while under a de facto "zero tolerance" stance that got her dismissed? Am I misremembering that?

I have heard another player in the past that had an incident that could have had legal ramifications, as well, and did her penance and proved her willingness to stay out of trouble. A second player involved in that incident moved on to another school. Kim definitely has high standards and makes difficult decisions when they need to be made, but she also seems compassionate enough to try and help the player "get right," if the seriousness of the crime doesn't preclude that and the player is willing. Hard to judge Carey's position without insider knowledge, I think.
Chibears2
The indefinite suspension was mentioned in another thread, maybe the running Big 12 thread. West Virginia took a foreign trip to Italy this year, like the Lady Bears did last year. About a week or two before they were to leave, there was a release from WVU that was posted on the thread, stating Tynice would not be making the trip and was suspended indefinitely for violation of team rule. The violation was never specified, but the timeline, as I understand it, lines up with the domestic assault charge.
slimecap
Chibears2 said:

The indefinite suspension was mentioned in another thread, maybe the running Big 12 thread.
Hi Chibears2,
Good memory!
Below is a copy of the original post I made on the Premium board "BIG 12" thread on 4 Aug 2019:

TYNICE MARTIN SUSPENDED

"Tynice Martin is suspended indefinitely for violation of team rules, according to a WVU release Saturday afternoon. Martin, a senior, has averaged 15.6 points per game in her career, as well as 5.8 rebounds. She was first team all-Big 12 last season after missing all of 2017-18 with a foot injury. As a sophomore, Martin was an all-American honorable mention and was the Big 12 Freshman of the Year in 2015-16.

Martin is supposed to be an important contributor heading into this season. The Mountaineers travel to Italy and Greece to play in three exhibition games beginning Aug. 7. A school official confirmed that Martin, who practiced with the team Thursday, will not be traveling with the team."

- Sean Manning, Metro News: The Voice of West Virginia, 03 Aug 2019
Russell Gym
Chibears2 said:

The indefinite suspension was mentioned in another thread, maybe the running Big 12 thread. West Virginia took a foreign trip to Italy this year, like the Lady Bears did last year. About a week or two before they were to leave, there was a release from WVU that was posted on the thread, stating Tynice would not be making the trip and was suspended indefinitely for violation of team rule. The violation was never specified, but the timeline, as I understand it, lines up with the domestic assault charge.

It's a fine line, for sure. As a coach you want to help young adults reach their full potential. But at the same time, players represent the university, not a juvenile justice school. Each case is unique.
slimecap

SIGNED COMMIT
Kamryn Lemon

JUCO point guard transfer
Malbec
blueeyedbear said:

BearFan33 said:

Chibears2 said:

It looks to me like there was really no punishment for the possession charge, to which she pleaded no contest and paid the fine. Calling the Niagara sit-down a one-game suspension would be disingenuous, considering the fact that it was "precautionary" and she would have missed that game whether or not she was ultimately found to be innocent of the charge (she was not). Not announcing a suspension to start the season following her non-contested court disposition was a bad move.
Florda_mike
Malbec said:

blueeyedbear said:

BearFan33 said:

Chibears2 said:

It looks to me like there was really no punishment for the possession charge, to which she pleaded no contest and paid the fine. Calling the Niagara sit-down a one-game suspension would be disingenuous, considering the fact that it was "precautionary" and she would have missed that game whether or not she was ultimately found to be innocent of the charge (she was not). Not announcing a suspension to start the season following her non-contested court disposition was a bad move.

Yeah as Blue eyed says above she'd be gone at Baylor

Cavernous contrast
Chibears2
So I have misunderstood everyone, I guess. The consensus is a possession charge would result in immediate dismissal from the WBB team? Okay. I was thinking everyone was saying Carey did not address the assault charge, and my contention was he indefinitely suspended her and has not reinstated her, so we don't know yet what her ultimate fate will be. I am not sure what I think regarding the possession charge and immediate dismissal being a for sure thing with our program, but at least I think I understand to what others are responding.
Lone Star
I'm confused here. Are we talking about Martin, Morris, or Scott-Grayson?

The "he" and "she" in this post has me all confused about who we are talking about.

Florda_mike
I think Martin and how Mike Carey handled it

At least that's what I was referring to
blueeyedbear
Chibears2 said:

So I have misunderstood everyone, I guess. The consensus is a possession charge would result in immediate dismissal from the WBB team? Okay. I was thinking everyone was saying Carey did not address the assault charge, and my contention was he indefinitely suspended her and has not reinstated her, so we don't know yet what her ultimate fate will be. I am not sure what I think regarding the possession charge and immediate dismissal being a for sure thing with our program, but at least I think I understand to what others are responding.
Marijuana possession is looked at in a different light now days then it was a few years ago. I think most programs give you a mulligan with some penance but an understanding that the next incident if there is one will cost you some real consequences. Depending on the Coach/Team rules it could be dismissal.

She and her friend beat the H out of another woman. What she ended up actually being charged with is probably not representative of other charges she could have been charged with - (criminal trespass if it was not her domicile for example) maybe because of her notoriety she was cut a break - They go for the easiest to prove - maybe she pleas down to simple assault or maybe victim does not show up to testify and she could walk. However the police have no choice in domestic incidents - its mandated by law someone gets charged. Because the charge is domestic battery the State does not really need victims testimony though they would like to have it if it goes to court.
Looks like to me Carey was hoping this would never see the light and he could deal with it the same way he did with the possession charge.
Now that its out there its a different situation.
I do not expect this to be resolved soon. Maybe she sits until conference - maybe she gets dismissed.
Malbec
blueeyedbear said:

Chibears2 said:

Marijuana possession is looked at in a different light now days then it was a few years ago. I think most programs give you a mulligan with some penance but an understanding that the next incident if there is one will cost you some real consequences. Depending on the Coach/Team rules it could be dismissal.

She and her friend beat the H out of another woman. What she ended up actually being charged with is probably not representative of other charges she could have been charged with - (criminal trespass if it was not her domicile for example) maybe because of her notoriety she was cut a break - They go for the easiest to prove - maybe she pleas down to simple assault or maybe victim does not show up to testify and she could walk. However the police have no choice in domestic incidents - its mandated by law someone gets charged. Because the charge is domestic battery the State does not really need victims testimony though they would like to have it if it goes to court.
Looks like to me Carey was hoping this would never see the light and he could deal with it the same way he did with the possession charge.
I do not expect this to be resolved soon. Maybe she sits until conference - maybe she gets dismissed.
It looks as if she couldn't be bothered to pay the fine she had owed since February, until she was arrested on the new charge. She was arraigned on the new charge Aug 2 and paid her old fine Aug 5. She should have been told a long time before that she wasn't going to Italy with the team unless that fine was paid. Team left on Aug 7, so dollars to donuts nobody from the program was monitoring whether she had paid it.
Florda_mike
Malbec said:

blueeyedbear said:

Chibears2 said:

It looks as if she couldn't be bothered to pay the fine she had owed since February, until she was arrested on the new charge. She was arraigned on the new charge Aug 2 and paid her old fine Aug 5. She should have been told a long time before that she wasn't going to Italy with the team unless that fine was paid. Team left on Aug 7, so dollars to donuts nobody from the program was monitoring whether she had paid it.

^^^ Well, this isn't Baylor and orMulkey is it?
blueeyedbear
Malbec said:

blueeyedbear said:

Chibears2 said:

I do not know her or her family's financial situation but she may have received 6 months probation and paid the fine towards the end so her obligations would be complete - most of us put things off as long as we can.
Malbec
blueeyedbear said:

Malbec said:

blueeyedbear said:

Chibears2 said:

I do not know her or her family's financial situation but she may have received 6 months probation and paid the fine towards the end so her obligations would be complete - most of us put things off as long as we can.
That's stretching the benefit of the doubt, which is okay. But fined in Feb, beats the gf up in July, arraigned Aug 2, pay old fine Aug 5 is a walking, quacking duck. You don't have a player owing a fine for something you held her out of a game for, and then plan to leave the country with her in tow without making sure that fine is paid well in advance. And I can't imagine any jurisdiction that would allow a probationer to leave the country without satisfying the terms of the probation first.
blueeyedbear
Malbec said:

blueeyedbear said:

Malbec said:

blueeyedbear said:

Chibears2 said:

That's stretching the benefit of the doubt, which is okay. But fined in Feb, beats the gf up in July, arraigned Aug 2, pay old fine Aug 5 is a walking, quacking duck. You don't have a player owing a fine for something you held her out of a game for, and then plan to leave the country with her in tow without making sure that fine is paid well in advance. And I can't imagine any jurisdiction that would allow a probationer to leave the country without satisfying the terms of the probation first.
I don't think we are far apart - Your right no probation officer would let her leave the state let alone the country without completing the financial obligations of her probation. Waiting until Aug 5 does raise the ol eyebrows when the Italy trip is factored in - Still if she got 6 months she would have had a payment option of monthly or before end of probation time. Just glad its not a BU problem giving the BU haters more drama to write about.
Florda_mike
Remember you said this "problem" would be short lived at Baylor under Mulkey!?
slimecap

PARTIAL 2019-20 NON-CONFERENCE SCHEDULE
Update

Nov 10 @ Drake
Nov 22 @ North Dakota State
Dec 05 @ Alabama BIG 12 / SEC Challenge
Dec 11 Iowa
Dec 22 UNorthern Iowa
First Page Last Page
Page 52 of 159

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.