Big 12 happenings

1,133,978 Views | 5531 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by slimecap
Wichitabear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I don't even want to think about this.
Florda_mike
Wichitabear said:

I don't even want to think about this.

Debbie Downer reporting for sure

Others will need to step up

May be blessing, to get them her minutes, as season wears on after Cox is back
slimecap

QUEEN EGBO

Nov 14, 2019 vs Houston Baptist University

Sophomore 6-3 Queen Egbo to get first career start in place of injured Lauren Cox.

- Baylor WBB website
BU71
I dont like not having Cox on the floor but Queen is ready to take a step forward. If everyone else stays healthy we will be ok. Queen will benefit from the extended playing time. Let Cox heal she will be needed once conference play starts.
Pale Rider
Roger that 71.
Wichitabear
Y'all are right of course. Queen will need this experience. Just a little blue about it. But Lauren graduates this year anyway and our other talented players will need to step up.
Russell Gym
slimecap said:

LAUREN COX
Foot Injury

"Baylor said that Cox has a stress reaction to the second metatarsal on her right foot, requiring rest and treatment. Her return to action will be determined based on her symptoms.

The injury is not to the same leg that Cox hurt during the NCAA final in April. That was to her left knee; it was a bone bruise and MCL sprain that did not need surgery."

Baylor has 3 ranked opponents in November
# 6 South Carolina Nov 30
# 21 Indiana Nov 29
# 25 USouth Florida Nov 19

- Mechelle Voepel, espnW, 13 Nov 2019

I've had players with this exact injury. Many orthopedists treat this the same as a stress fracture because that's the next progression. Hopefully she responds well to treatments and rest.
bawitdaball
Also worth noting...this is why you don't transfer. Take advantage of your time, build your set of skills, and earn your time on the court. Sad for Lauren but glad Queen is getting her time to shine and show Mulkey what she's got. She'll likely be on a short leash, but her and Erin should be a great duo...also wouldn't surprise me if Smith gets more court time as a result.
BU71
This is a bad time to be without an All American but if she heals completely and is ready for the conference and the tournaments I can live with that, reluctantly. Queen, Smith and Erin will do fine. Dont be surprised if Bickle logs signicant time and provides valuable minutes in the front court.
slimecap
Greetings from the Ferrell Center ! Lauren rolled out with her leg on a scooter.
Russell Gym
The average time out for my players was about 5 weeks, sometimes six on a fifth metatarsal.
57Bear
Russell Gym said:

The average time out for my players was about 5 weeks, sometimes six.
Were their injuries caught early?
Russell Gym
Usually, but the fifth metatarsal injuries seemed to take longer than the others.
slimecap

Nov 14, 2019
Missouri State 96 @ Oklahoma 90

RECAP
bit.ly/37c2cwn
slimecap

Nov 14, 2019
Nicholls 47 @ TCU 72

RECAP
https://gofrogs.com/news/2019/11/14/womens-basketball-tcu-knocks-off-nicholls-in-non-conference-action.aspx
slimecap

Nov 14, 2019
UTSA 53 @ Texas 84

TEXAS POST-GAME PRESS CONFERENCE
Karen Aston, Lashann Higgs & Charli Collier

slimecap

NALYSSA SMITH
National recognition

"Each week throug-out the season the Starting Five will highlight the top NCAA Division I women's basketball performances from the previous week.

Nalyssa Smith
Totaling a double-double in each of the first two games, NaLyssa Smith averaged 21 points and 13.5 rebounds per contest while shooting 75 percent from the floor as the Baylor Lady Bears opened defense of their 2019 national championship with lopsided wins over New Hampshire and Grambling State.

A preseason All-Big 12 selection, Smith updated her career double-doubles mark to five and accomplished those numbers in just 41 minutes combined. Her per-40 minutes stats averaged an astounding 41.0 points and 26.3 rebounds per game.

In the 97-29 win season-opening win over New Hampshire, sophomores Smith and Queen Egbo, who sat out the two exhibition games, combined for 39 points and 19 rebounds in their first action. Smith recorded her fourth career double-double with 21 points and a career-high 14 rebounds, while Egbo had 14 points in 14 minutes. Baylor cruised to a 120-46 win last Friday over Grambling State as Smith led a program-record eight players in double figures and posted her second-straight double-double with 21 points and 13 rebounds."

- Rick Nixon, ncaa.com, 13 Nov 2019
slimecap
BU71 said:

Dont be surprised if Bickle logs signicant time and provides valuable minutes in the front court.

CAITLIN BICKLE

#51 Caitlin Bickle stretches for a rebound in the second half
vs HBU on 14 Nov 2019
Wichitabear
Good. I'm ready to see Bickle talent!!!
setshot
I think that Bickle will give the Lady Bears some valuable minutes this season, and Cox's injury gives her an opportunity to show her value. I think that it is considerable. With the brace off her knee, she is moving with greater ease and efficiency.

Caitlin has always been a fine shooter, but we are seeing her nose for the ball, whether it be on the boards or a loose ball on the floor. She gets into the passing lanes surprisingly often and she is always looking down floor to find an open teammate. Her defense is predicated on positioning and effort, and while she might not have quite the quickness that she once had, it will gradually return with playing time and practice.

What has always impressed me the most about her game is the basketball IQ she seems to have. She is all business in practice and it shows in her time on the floor at game time. She makes up in efficiency what she may lack in quickness, and her speed is deceptive.

When she committed to the Lady Bears I wondered about her position, but it is clear that she can fit herself into the need of the moment. She is unselfish to a fault, but the ultimate opportunist. And did I say she can really shoot ? I mean, really shoot.
blueeyedbear
setshot said:

I think that Bickle will give the Lady Bears some valuable minutes this season, and Cox's injury gives her an opportunity to show her value. I think that it is considerable. With the brace off her knee, she is moving with greater ease and efficiency.

Caitlin has always been a fine shooter, but we are seeing her nose for the ball, whether it be on the boards or a loose ball on the floor. She gets into the passing lanes surprisingly often and she is always looking down floor to find an open teammate. Her defense is predicated on positioning and effort, and while she might not have quite the quickness that she once had, it will gradually return with playing time and practice.

What has always impressed me the most about her game is the basketball IQ she seems to have. She is all business in practice and it shows in her time on the floor at game time. She makes up in efficiency what she may lack in quickness, and her speed is deceptive.

When she committed to the Lady Bears I wondered about her position, but it is clear that she can fit herself into the need of the moment. She is unselfish to a fault, but the ultimate opportunist. And did I say she can really shoot ? I mean, really shoot.
She reminds me of one of my all time favorites Rachell Allison
slimecap

Nov 14, 2019
Sam Houston 57 @ Texas Tech 99

RECAP
https://texastech.com/news/2019/11/14/womens-basketball-lady-raider-recap-texas-tech-99-sam-houston-state-57.aspx
slimecap

Nov 17, 2019
Arizona 83 @ Texas 58

TEXAS POST-GAME PRESS CONFERENCE
Karen Aston, Sug Sutton & Joyner Holmes

RECAP
https://texassports.com/news/2019/11/17/womens-basketball-falls-to-hot-shooting-arizona.aspx?path=wbball

Florda_mike
Aston with big down year!?
slimecap
Florda_mike said:

Aston with big down year!?
Looks like 3 more rough games for Texas in non-conference
North Carolina State, Tennessee & Stanford

If Texas does not defeat UNorth Texas on Nov 30 in Hawaii ... Yikes
Pale Rider
Wow.
gone to Tickfaw
oh. that we had such an OOC schedule with a couple of P5's at home. At least we have one tomorrow night.
bearbone11
I'm starting to wonder if any team in the Big 12 will even give us a competitive game this year.
R11
BU71
bearbone11 said:

I'm starting to wonder if any team in the Big 12 will even give us a competitive game this year.
BU WBB has a huge target on its back. Past success ensures that every Big 12 team will give its best effort. Beating Baylor will be a huge feather in someone's cap, especially since we are the odds on favorite to win another B12 title. I believe the team comes together shows the potential for another deep tournament run. This is contingent of LC being available. CKM may have to manage her minutes carefully and keep an eye on her foot.
57Bear
57Bear
BU71 said:

bearbone11 said:

... This is contingent of LC being available. CKM may have to manage her minutes carefully and keep an eye on her foot.
Alternatively, LC may get more stress on her foot in practice than in the games that we have played. The Ladies work hard in practice.
slimecap

TE'A COOPER
BIG 12 Player of the Week

"The Big 12 announced Baylor's Te'a Cooper as Big 12 Player of the Week Monday after her performance against Houston Baptist Thursday. The graduate transfer from South Carolina scored all 23 of her points in the first half vs. Houston Baptist Thursday while adding a career high 10 assists, and she matched a career high with four steals.

Cooper became the first Lady Bear to have 20 points and 10 assists in a game since Alexis Jones had 24 and 10, respectively, vs. No. 20 Oklahoma Jan. 29, 2017. Cooper was 8-11 from the floor and didn't commit a turnover to help Baylor to 3-0 in its 112-42 win over the Huskies."

- Baylor WBB website, 18 Nov 2019
slimecap

ALEXIS TUCKER
BIG 12 Freshman of the Week

Texas Tech freshman guard Alexis Tucker was named BIG 12 Freshman of the Week. In her first college game, Tucker recorded a double-double in the Lady Raiders' season opener victory over Sam Houston State. The Hawthorne CA native recorded 23 points and 13 rebounds to go along with two steals.

Tucker is one of the top performing freshmen in the country through the first week of the season. She is the third-highest scoring freshman in the nation and top rookie scorer in the Big 12. Her 13 rebounds per game rank second in the nation among freshmen and first in the conference. Among all classes, she is the 12th-leading rebounder in the country and 14th-leading scorer.

- Texas Tech WBB website
slimecap

Nov 17, 2019
UMass Lowell 44 Kansas 79

RECAP
https://kuathletics.com/kansas-rolls-through-umass-lowell-remains-undefeated/
slimecap

Nov 17, 2019
Radford 37 vs West Virginia 74

WVU POST-GAME PRESS CONFERENCE
Mike Carey, Kysre Gondrezick & Tynice Martin

First Page Last Page
Page 59 of 159

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.