Big 12 happenings

1,133,840 Views | 5531 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by slimecap
slimecap
How long do you want to ignore this user?

AP TOP 25 POLL
Nov 18, 2019
First-place votes in parentheses

02 Baylor (2)
25 West Virginia
33 Texas
slimecap

2020 RECRUITING
Deja Kelly

Nov 3, 2014

"Deja Kelly has been recruited to play basketball for the University of Texas women's team ... in 2020. The San Antonio seventh grader gave a verbal commitment to women's basketball coach Karen Aston on Saturday, October 18 during the Texas vs. Iowa State football game.

Though she's only 13, the recruiting process isn't new for Kelly. Multiple colleges have been scoping her out since she was 11. While the verbal commitment does not legally bind Kelly to UT, no one is concerned about her dedication to the team. Her father, Darren Kelly, played for the UT men's basketball team from 1999 until 2001, and her mother confirms that Kelly's desire is to be a Longhorn.

"I know kids change their minds on a daily basis," Theresa Nunn, tells ESPN. "But this is something she's been pretty concrete with for the past five or six years."

- Nicole Raney, Austin Culture Map, 2 Nov 2014

Nov 18, 2019

"Deja Kelly announced over Twitter on Monday that she has committed to North Carolina. The 5-foot-8 guard, listed as the No. 17 player in the class of 2020, originally committed to Texas in seventh grade. But half a decade and a high school career passed, and Kelly decommitted in October. She had interest in Texas A&M, Duke, Minnesota, Notre Dame and Oregon, according to ESPN.

Finally, in late July, the final school reached out to Kelly: North Carolina.Tar Heels head coach Courtney Banghart convinced her Chapel Hill was the place she could contend and grow as a college athlete.

"She told me her plans for me, her vision to help build UNC into a national title team," Kelly told ESPN.

- Excerpts from Logan Newman, USA Today, 18 Nov 2019
Baylor Dad in Va.
slimecap said:

AP TOP 25 POLL
Nov 18, 2019

02 Baylor (2)
25 West Virginia
33 Texas
The AP Poll voters are either too stupid to look at scores or else are too blinded by prejudice to vote in a way that is fair.
Rice loses by 1 point in the last seconds of the game, yet they drop #5 A&M to #6, and leave Rice completely unranked..
Bone Squad
Can we take a moment to appreciate that this week both Texas and Notre Dame are unranked?

I want to say that UConn and Notre Dame were the only teams with a longer streak in the top 25 than Baylor.

In Notre Dame's case, I am not really surprised. They lost a ton of talent to graduation and early draft. But I do think McGraw is a good coach, and will probably have them back in the rankings as early as next year.

In Texas' case...wow. I frankly do not think Aston is a good coach, but I still didn't expect them to be in this kind of shape this season.

A big takeaway for me is to really appreciate Coach Mulkey's ability to keep her team relevant every year. That is clearly not easy to do, with Coach McGraw being Exhibit A. I still remember when Griner graduated, and I started hearing a lot of other fan bases saying silly things like "Baylor will be irrelevant now." Even then, I thought, "you serious, Clark?" We have lost a grand total of 18 games over 6 seasons since then.

And, yeah, we missed out on some Final Fours we were heavily favored for in that time frame. But this is an incredible resume for our Lady Bears. Every basketball fan that has not spent a few years in Storrs, Connecticut would love to trade places with us.
Baylorkid
Baylor was actually second and Notre Dame was behind us.
Bone Squad
Thanks. I was uncertain on that point, but I thought I had heard that stat. I was close!
Baylorkid
By the end of the year, Baylor and UConn would be the only schools ranked in the top 25 this whole decade
Florda_mike
Baylor Dad in Va. said:

slimecap said:

AP TOP 25 POLL
Nov 18, 2019

02 Baylor (2)
25 West Virginia
33 Texas
The AP Poll voters are either too stupid to look at scores or else are too blinded by prejudice to vote in a way that is fair...

2 qualifying prerequisites to be named a "pollster"

"Pollster" = liar and thief in this case
gone to Tickfaw
McGraw also won the championship year before last after dropping several regular season games. I think Rice and Gonzaga both deserve a higher ranking...

At this point, not sure we'll beat A&M, South Carolina, UCONN, etc.

We'll see.

Landrum, Richards & Moon all need to score.
slimecap

Nov 18, 2019
Florida A&M 60 @ Texas Tech 98

TEXAS TECH POST-GAME PRESS CONFERENCE

slimecap

Nov 18, 2019
Oral Roberts 69 @ Kansas State 109

KANSAS STATE POST-GAME PRESS CONFERENCE
Christianna Carr, Ayoka Lee & Jeff Mittie
https://www.kstatesports.com/watch/?Archive=11050&type=Archive
slimecap

Nov 19, 2019
USF 46 @ Baylor 58

RECAP
https://baylorbears.com/news/2019/11/19/womens-basketball-no-2-wbb-holds-tough-in-home-win-over-no-22-south-florida.aspx
slimecap

Nov 19, 2019
Texas Southern 59 @ Iowa State 79

RECAP
https://cyclones.com/news/2019/11/19/womens-basketball-joens-historic-performance-leads-iowa-state-past-tsu.aspx
slimecap

Nov 19, 2019
Idaho State 52 @ Oklahoma State 70

OKLAHOMA STATE POST-GAME PRESS CONFERENCE
Lauren Fields, Jim Littell and Natasha Mack

slimecap

REMEMBERING COACHES BUDKE & SERNA

Plane crash was 8 years ago.

Kurt Budke & Miranda Serna
Pale Rider
Truly an extremely sad and tragic day.
slimecap

Nov 20, 2019
Stephen F. Austin 62 @ Oklahoma 75

RECAP
https://soonersports.com/news/2019/11/20/womens-basketball-sooners-school-sfa-on-field-trip-day.aspx
slimecap

Nov 20, 2019
UTRGV 69 @ Texas 85

TEXAS POST-GAME PRESS CONFERENCE

Nov 20, 2019
TCU 57 @ SMU 56

RECAP
https://gofrogs.com/news/2019/11/20/womens-basketball-frogs-hold-off-mustangs-for-57-56-road-win.aspx
slimecap

USA TODAY / WBCA TOP 25 COACHES POLL
Nov 19, 2019

02 Baylor (2)
30 West Virginia
32 Texas
38 Oklahoma State
slimecap

Nov 21, 2019
Lamar 28 @ Baylor 90

RECAP
https://baylorbears.com/news/2019/11/21/womens-basketball-wbb-runs-past-lamar-for-5-0-start.aspx
slimecap

Nov 21, 2019
Coppin State 47 @ West Virginia 82

WVU POST-GAME PRESS CONFERENCE

slimecap

Nov 22, 2019
Iowa State 86 @ North Dakota State 58

Video BILL FENNELLY POST-GAME COMMENTS
https://cyclones.com/watch/?Archive=16666&category=Event&type=Live
slimecap

Nov 22, 2019
Northwestern State 49 @ Texas Tech 79

TEXAS TECH POST-GAME PRESS CONFERENCE
https://texastech.com/watch/?Archive=21160&sport=10&type=Archive
slimecap

Nov 23, 2019
Rice 38 @ Oklahoma State 69

OKLAHOMA STATE POST-GAME PRESS CONFERENCE
Natasha Mack, Jim Littell & Vivian Gray

slimecap

Nov 23, 2019
Oklahoma 69 @ Houston 85

RECAP
/bit.ly/2D9PLmH
Wichitabear
Lolol no tears here
slimecap
Wichitabear said:

Lolol no tears here

Houston earned its first win over Oklahoma in program history
in a series dating back to the 1980-81 season.

- UHouston WBB website, 23 Nov 2019
geewago
Cherry Colas recruiting has become a mystery. She needed height worse than anything else so she recruits a 5' 3" Point Guard.
slimecap

Nov 24, 2019
Southern 39 @ Texas 93

TEXAS POST-GAME PRESS CONFERENCE

slimecap

Nov 24, 2019
Texas State 48 @ Kansas 68

RECAP
https://kuathletics.com/team-effort-leads-jayhawks-over-bobcats/

slimecap

Nov 24, 2019
UTA 57 @ Kansas State 53

KANSAS STATE POST-GAME PRESS CONFERENCE
https://www.kstatesports.com/watch/?Archive=11076&type=Archive

slimecap

AP TOP 25 POLL
Nov 25, 2019

02 Baylor (2)
23 West Virginia
No other BIG 12 teams received votes
slimecap
"1. Baylor is without Lauren Cox for an indefinite amount of time. Stanford struggled at home against Gonzaga. Texas A&M left it until late at Rice. So who's really the No. 2 team in the country right now?

Graham Hays: I wouldn't have guessed this three weeks ago, but give me South Carolina. Not only does South Carolina have the best win of the bunch at Maryland, but doing that so early in the season with such a young team looks all the more impressive in light of everyone else. Zia Cooke and Aliyah Boston are delivering, and Dawn Staley is thriving with the fresh energy at her disposal. Some results (Stanford against Gonzaga, Texas A&M against Rice, Oregon State against Missouri State) say as much about a particularly strong class of mid-major teams as about weakness at the top of the polls. But with that said, South Carolina is doing everything right so far.

Charlie Creme: Even without Lauren Cox and even with Oregon State's impressive run to the Preseason WNIT title, I still think Baylor is No. 2. That was a really good South Florida team the Lady Bears beat on Tuesday, and they did it without a good shooting night (35.6% from the field), only one 3-pointer (and that came in the game's final two minutes), and while getting outrebounded. Baylor had mauled three underqualified opponents to start the season with a barrage of points, but it beat the Bulls with length and aggressiveness on defense. That is award-winning adaptability this early in the season and should travel well to the Virgin Islands over Thanksgiving for games against Washington State, Indiana and especially South Carolina.

Mechelle Voepel: I am sticking with Baylor, too. For the team to reach its long-term goals, of course, it has to have Lauren Cox back. But NaLyssa Smith and Queen Egbo did a solid job in the post against South Florida, the only team the Lady Bears have faced thus far with any chance of pushing them. And the guard play is very experienced for Baylor, which can count on players such as DiDi Richards, Juicy Landrum and Te'a Cooper to get the job done and play a lot of minutes. Baylor doesn't have a star without Cox, but you can't underestimate how good her supporting cast is as a whole -- even if they don't stand out as much individually."

Link for entire article
https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/28131686/will-no-2-team-women-college-basketball-please-stand-up
slimecap

"Iowa State sophomore guard Ashley Joens picked up her first career Big 12 Women's Basketball Player of the Week accolade, while K-State forward Ayoka Lee was honored for the first time as Freshman of the Week.

Joens averaged 28.0 points and 17.0 rebounds in a pair of victories over Texas Southern and North Dakota State. Against TSU, the sophomore recorded Iowa State's first 30-20 game in program history and became just the fourth Big 12 player to accomplish the feat since 1999-2000. She scored 26 points and grabbed 14 rebounds in the Cyclones' road win over the Bison, notching her second consecutive double-double.

Lee averaged a double-double with 13.0 points and 12.0 rebounds, while shooting 64.3 percent (9-of-14) from the field. Against Oral Roberts, the freshman tallied her second double-double of the season with 20 points, 11 rebounds and two blocks. She became the first freshman (true or redshirt) in program history to register two double-doubles in her first three career games. Lee drew the attention of the UT Arlington defense all afternoon and tallied six points, 13 rebounds and three blocks."

- BIG 12 WBB website, 25 Nov 2019
slimecap

Nov 26, 2019
TCU 66 @ Army 52

RECAP
https://gofrogs.com/news/2019/11/26/womens-basketball-tcu-goes-east-downs-army-66-42-at-west-point.aspx
First Page Last Page
Page 60 of 159

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.