Big 12 happenings

1,133,742 Views | 5531 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by slimecap
slimecap
How long do you want to ignore this user?

2021 VERBAL COMMIT
April 3, 2020

Viane Cumber 5-10 guard Sandia HS Albuquerque, New Mexico
Verbally committed to Texas Tech.
New Mexico's 2019-20 Gatorade Player of the Year.
Offers included Arizona State, Clemson. New Mexico, New Mexico State & San Diego State.

https://www.abqjournal.com/1440097
slimecap

GRADUATE TRANSFER
from Texas Tech to Kansas State
April 6, 2020

"Texas Tech basketball guard Sydney Goodson, who started 47 games over the past two seasons, is leaving the program as a graduate transfer, a Tech athletics spokesman said Monday.

Goodson, a 5-foot-8 junior from Argyle Liberty Christian, averaged 7.9 points, 5.7 rebounds and 2.8 assists this season. Goodson started 21 times in 24 games and missed the last five games with an injury. Last year as a sophomore, she averaged 10.9 points, 5.0 rebounds and 3.1 assists. She played in 31 games, starting 26.

She transferred to Tech after one year at Arizona State."

- Don Williams, Lubbock Avalanche-Journal
slimecap

2021 VERBAL COMMIT
March 25, 2020

Tracey Bershers 6-1 Forward Northside HS Fort Smith AR
Dcheetah
this is Jersey's school. are they recruiting JW too?
slimecap
Dcheetah said:

this is Jersey's school. are they recruiting JW too?
Reported that Jersey Wolfenbarger was offered by Oklahoma State in May 2019.
Dcheetah
Thank you!
slimecap

FORMER COACH

Karen Aston has been listed in the Starkville MS newspaper Dispatch as Other names to watch in the search for a new Mississippi State head coach.
Russell Gym
slimecap said:

FORMER COACH

Karen Aston has been listed in the Starkville MS newspaper Dispatch as Other names to watch in the search for a new Mississippi State head coach.

That would be interesting. When is the last time a straight up trade was made between P5 head coaches in any major sport?
Florda_mike
Mississippi State would be a HUUUUGE double loser if they hire Aston in this scenario

Lost an overachiever coach and hired a proven underachiever
Russell Gym
Florda_mike said:

Mississippi State would be a HUUUUGE double loser if they hire Aston in this scenario

Lost an overachiever coach and hired a proven underachiever

I totally agree. UT Athletics has overall been the P5 leader in underachievement for quite a while now.
historian
Was it Aston (or Herman or Smart) or is it the environment of seemingly unlimited money, entitlement, extreme arrogance, impatience, etc.?
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
Wichitabear
historian said:

Was it Aston (or Herman or Smart) or is it the environment of seemingly unlimited money, entitlement, extreme arrogance, impatience, etc.?
I would say the horns have been pretty patient with Aston. We wouldn't like it! She needed to leave. I would also say they showing great patience with Smart!
Pale Rider
Wichitabear said:

historian said:

I would say the horns have been pretty patient with Aston. We wouldn't like it! She needed to leave. I would also say they showing great patience with Smart!
truth, in both cases.
historian
Probably so. But I still think the environment in Austin is toxic.
ABC BEAR
historian said:

I doubt that UT has the sense of community like we have at Baylor. It's not put-on at BU either, it's real. Money is not a substitute for positive vibes and intangibles. People who are accustom to buying everything they want have a hard time getting their arms around that.
bawitdaball
ABC BEAR said:

historian said:

I doubt that UT has the sense of community like we have at Baylor. It's not put-on at BU either, it's real. Money is not a substitute for positive vibes and intangibles. People who are accustom to buying everything they want have a hard time getting their arms around that.
As a graduate of Texas and someone who spent years working in their athletic department (and am still an avid BWBB fan and supporter), I would not make blanket claims like that. There have been issues in the past at Texas, much having to do with complacency and a history of going after namesake coaches rather than ones that fit the university's personality.

Kelly Graves, the new softball coach, is probably the worst thing that could have ever happened for any UT coach on the hot seat. Not only did he leave the #1 team in the country to come to Austin, but in less than a year he produced a new #1 team in the country, completed, for the first time in Texas softball history, a sweep over the then #1 and #2 team on back-to-back days and his star player was named the NCAA Player of the Year. His quick turn over of the program, which had been struggling for the better part of a decade, allowed everyone to see what could be accomplished by a fantastic coach who fit the UT system, given UT's resources.

Aston was fine, and she wasn't fired because she couldn't beat Kim. I don't care what the ESPN article says. She was fired because she was never in the realistic running for a Big 12 Championship and she was becoming victim to a wealth of transfers - a strong sign that something isn't right within the staff. Had she been in the running for a championship in the final weeks of the season, we would have a completely different situation right now. Instead, she constantly found herself pre-season ranked and then falling out and being unable to win the Conference 3-4 weeks before the end of the season. At Texas, they like to win, but they hate not competing much more. Her inability to even be in the conversation is what got her the can.

I am not convinced that Schaffer is a great hire for Texas. First, he is a male and many on the Board wanted a female. There is also a major style difference between the SEC and the Big 12. It will be interesting to see how well he can transition. There is a reason Texas A&M has been decent but never Elite since moving to the SEC...it's a different style and Blair hasn't been able to fully make the transition. Time will tell if Schaffer is able to do this better.

Texas has given Herman time to develop his system, Aston was given 8 years to recruit and build a program, Smart is heading into year five with the full support of the athletic department, swimming & dividing won another NC this year, tennis won one last year. Much like Baylor, a lot of great things are happening on and off the court/field in Austin.

And much like when the news of the Title IX scandal broke at Baylor and I defending Baylor here in Austin, I also feel I need to defend Texas to those in Waco. Both are great schools with solid programs. So, keep the criticism to what happens on the field. We shouldn't be talking about an overall toxic environment that lacks community. UT has one of the most accepting and diverse student bodies in the country and we forget how much more fun the season is when there is a rivalry to enjoy. I could be wrong, but I don't feel opinions on culture and environments should be assumed. If you've been to Austin and have been part of one of their programs, then I have overstepped and I apologize. But for someone who was part of the department for over a decade, it hits me personally when these type of blind accusations are made.

*Rant.......over.
SirBearALot
slimecap said:

FORMER COACH

yes, and think of how much money they could save in the swap....Karen was at $745,000 and Vic was getting $ 1 Mil. plus ? Karen may take less just to get the job and she will inherit a very good team..
historian
Point taken. And I think there is a lot of truth there.

However, my personal experience over the years (going back to my student days in the 1980s) is that the environment in Austin is toxic: way too much arrogance and a clear sense of entitlement: we're Texas, we have lots of money, we deserve to win regardless of what happens on the gridiron or on the BB court. I even read a parody of Texas fans from a few years ago. It was funny because it's the attitude one often sees from Texas fans. That said, I also personally know lots of wonderful people with Texas loyalties. It's a huge school with large numbers of alumni. There will be much diversity as with any school.
bawitdaball
historian said:

Point taken. And I think there is a lot of truth there.

However, my personal experience over the years (going back to my student days in the 1980s) is that the environment in Austin is toxic: way too much arrogance and a clear sense of entitlement: we're Texas, we have lots of money, we deserve to win regardless of what happens on the gridiron or on the BB court. I even read a parody of Texas fans from a few years ago. It was funny because it's the attitude one often sees from Texas fans. That said, I also personally know lots of wonderful people with Texas loyalties. It's a huge school with large numbers of alumni. There will be much diversity as with any school.
As with any institution, there are going to be some rotten *******s. They definitely don't define it, but they are often the loudest of the bunch.
jumpinjoe
historian said:

It's basketball, folks!! Football is king at UT.

The powers there would never let the football program go eight (8) years being irrelevant. They got rid of Strong in three. Football isn't the ends all at UT, but it is way ahead of whichever sports is in second place.
Joined BaylorFans in 1999 under username jumpinjoe. Have always been Jumpinjoe. Proud 4 Year Baylor letterman and 1968 graduate and charter member of Quartermiler U, produced school record in 400 IH.
historian
2018 notwithstanding, one could argue that UT football has not been very relevant since about 2009.
slimecap
slimecap said:

UPDATE
57Bear
bawitdaball said:

... As with any institution, there are going to be some rotten *******s. ...
Even at TCU?
setshot
Interesting turn of events for Hailey Van Lith should Walz be offered and accept the job at Mississippi State. She seemed to be headed to Baylor, then switched to Louisville to join the coach of the USA team that she had played for last summer. If he heads off to Mississippi State could she ask for and receive a release from her commitment to Louisville. I wondered if Louisville would be a good fit for her; I would think that MSU would be even more questionable.

I would think that the money would be a matter of consideration in this proposed change for Walz, because he seemed to be a fixture at Louisville. It is a surprising move as far as I can see.
Wichitabear
57Bear said:

bawitdaball said:

... As with any institution, there are going to be some rotten *******s. ...
Even at TCU?
yep
Dcheetah
Walz is staying at Louisville.
Wichitabear
Dcheetah said:

Walz is staying at Louisville.
I think so too. His got the players he wants. I don't think he's going anywhere.
slimecap
ABC BEAR
bawitdaball said:

ABC BEAR said:

historian said:

As a graduate of Texas and someone who spent years working in their athletic department (and am still an avid BWBB fan and supporter), I would not make blanket claims like that. There have been issues in the past at Texas, much having to do with complacency and a history of going after namesake coaches rather than ones that fit the university's personality.

Kelly Graves, the new softball coach, is probably the worst thing that could have ever happened for any UT coach on the hot seat. Not only did he leave the #1 team in the country to come to Austin, but in less than a year he produced a new #1 team in the country, completed, for the first time in Texas softball history, a sweep over the then #1 and #2 team on back-to-back days and his star player was named the NCAA Player of the Year. His quick turn over of the program, which had been struggling for the better part of a decade, allowed everyone to see what could be accomplished by a fantastic coach who fit the UT system, given UT's resources.

Aston was fine, and she wasn't fired because she couldn't beat Kim. I don't care what the ESPN article says. She was fired because she was never in the realistic running for a Big 12 Championship and she was becoming victim to a wealth of transfers - a strong sign that something isn't right within the staff. Had she been in the running for a championship in the final weeks of the season, we would have a completely different situation right now. Instead, she constantly found herself pre-season ranked and then falling out and being unable to win the Conference 3-4 weeks before the end of the season. At Texas, they like to win, but they hate not competing much more. Her inability to even be in the conversation is what got her the can.

I am not convinced that Schaffer is a great hire for Texas. First, he is a male and many on the Board wanted a female. There is also a major style difference between the SEC and the Big 12. It will be interesting to see how well he can transition. There is a reason Texas A&M has been decent but never Elite since moving to the SEC...it's a different style and Blair hasn't been able to fully make the transition. Time will tell if Schaffer is able to do this better.

Texas has given Herman time to develop his system, Aston was given 8 years to recruit and build a program, Smart is heading into year five with the full support of the athletic department, swimming & dividing won another NC this year, tennis won one last year. Much like Baylor, a lot of great things are happening on and off the court/field in Austin.

And much like when the news of the Title IX scandal broke at Baylor and I defending Baylor here in Austin, I also feel I need to defend Texas to those in Waco. Both are great schools with solid programs. So, keep the criticism to what happens on the field. We shouldn't be talking about an overall toxic environment that lacks community. UT has one of the most accepting and diverse student bodies in the country and we forget how much more fun the season is when there is a rivalry to enjoy. I could be wrong, but I don't feel opinions on culture and environments should be assumed. If you've been to Austin and have been part of one of their programs, then I have overstepped and I apologize. But for someone who was part of the department for over a decade, it hits me personally when these type of blind accusations are made.

*Rant.......over.
Duly noted and thanks for sharing your opinion in a reasoned tone.
Florda_mike
Sorry for your long efforts but UT Athletics lends itself to Entitlement and their overall programs aren't competing at a level that relates to them getting the top athletes in every sport

Just because you worked in their athletic department for 10 years doesn't change that either. If anything it blinds you to the overall underachieving of athletics at UT

There's no excuse for what's happened to UT football since Brown. Men's and women's basketball underachieve annually.
Wichitabear
Florda_mike said:

Sorry for your long efforts but UT Athletics lends itself to Entitlement and their overall programs aren't competing at a level that relates to them getting the top athletes in every sport

Just because you worked in their athletic department for 10 years doesn't change that either. If anything it blinds you to the overall underachieving of athletics at UT

There's no excuse for what's happened to UT football since Brown. Men's and women's basketball underachieve annually.
I feel you might have missed the point to some extent of what he was saying. Toxic atmosphere Community Pride
Bone Squad
As a four year member of BUGWB, there are two experiences that really stand out to me regarding the fans at other universities: 1) Texas Tech fans cursing and throwing trash at us as we entered the field, 2) Texas fans mocking and heckling a female band member after the half-time show as I helped her limp off the field because she had twisted her ankle during the show.

And this was 2000-2004, so you can't even try to excuse it by saying they were frustrated by the game and misdirecting their anger. No, they needed to send their additional hatred towards band members while their teams were already beating ours like a drum.

People will show you who they really are.
slimecap

YEAR in REVIEW
2019-20

Video link
https://soonersports.com/watch/?Archive=3927&sport=11&type=Archive
slimecap

INCOMING COACHING STAFF

Waiting for official UT media confirmation
It appears that Mississippi State associate head coach Johnnie Harris will be joining the Longhorn staff.

slimecap

GRAD TRANSFER RECRUITING

"Cal WBB grad transfer Mi'Cole Cayton (5-9 RS JR guard, Stockton, CA) has announced her commitment to Nebraska, the school she had originally signed with out of HS; she was also considering Oklahoma, Oregon State, Rutgers, TCU, and Utah."

- Raoul twitter feed, 8 Apr 2020
First Page Last Page
Page 73 of 159

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.