Big 12 happenings

1,133,817 Views | 5531 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by slimecap
74Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Former Penn State WBB player Lauren Ebo (6-4 SO forward, Washington, DC) has announced that she's transferring to Texas....per Raoul
Florda_mike
Well, how great is she?
74Bear
No idea....just the start of many transfers to UT as I expect them to work the transfer portal hard.
bawitdaball
Florda_mike said:

Well, how great is she?
Based on stats and commentary - Queen was the better get and likely the more developed player thus far in each of their careers.
Florda_mike
That's a great coach down there that's gonna be able to recruit to Austin tenfold, minimally, better than Starkville

I spent 2 weeks in Starkville once. It's at end of nowhere, literally

Watch out for UT
Wichitabear
Florda_mike said:

That's a great coach down there that's gonna be able to recruit to Austin tenfold, minimally, better than Starkville

I spent 2 weeks in Starkville once. It's at end of nowhere, literally

Watch out for UT
yes, I use to live in Mississippi. UT has a coach now. Competition will happen and Mulkey will be ready.
57Bear
Florda_mike said:

Well, how great is she?
Scouts grade = 90 by Hoopgurlz 2018. 6' 2". Rated as #17 post in class of 2018.
slimecap

NEW HEAD COACH

"Vic Schaefer ... departed last week to become the head coach at Texas, which paid Schaefer's buyout of $1.25 million, according to the Mississippi State athletic department. Schaefer had signed a contract extension with Mississippi State in July 2018 that paid him an average of nearly $1.6 million per year."

- Tyler Horka, Clarion Ledger, 14 Apr 2020
Florda_mike
UT = ...... I'm tired of losing to Baylor
LIB,MR BEARS
I look forward to UT improving and am confident that Vic is the guy to do it.

Watching 20+ point blow outs gets old quickly. Watching UT starters play the final minutes against our young, up-and-comers just to narrow an embarrassing loss to near respectable numbers is just frustrating and not fun at all.

Bring on the comp UT! It will be more fun beating y'all now than it has been the last 18 of 19 games.
74Bear
Per Raoul

West Virginia WBB adds four players for 2020-21: Georgia Tech transfer Jasmine Carson, Mississippi State transfer Jayla Hemingway, and juco transfers Ariel Cummings and Abby Ogle
slimecap

ASSOCIATE HEAD COACH LEAVING

"Kansas announces that Larry Tidwell will be stepping down as associate head coach this spring due to personal reasons, the program released Monday. With the ongoing global pandemic, the COVID-19 outbreak, Tidwell has decided to relocate back to his hometown of Fort Worth, Texas to be closer to his family.

"I am relocating back home to be with family during these troubled times," said Tidwell. "This crisis has had an impact on my decision in going home to take care of family issues and put family first. I have been away and need to be in a situation where I can get to my family, who all live in Texas, in a hurry."

In his first season with the Jayhawks, the program saw its best overall record (15-14) in seven years. Kansas put forth a competitive 2019-20 campaign as it ended 2019 with an 11-0 non-conference record and charted four conference wins, which included an upset over Texas on Feb. 15. Before the pandemic, the Jayhawks anticipated earning a WNIT bid and hosting a game at home in the first round. The bid would have been KU's first postseason appearance since 2013."

- Kansas WBB website, 13 April 2020
Pale Rider
He's a good guy.
historian
Any connection to the family for which the Tidwell "Tower of Babel" is named?
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
slimecap

ENTERING TRANSFER PORTAL

"Two reserve post players on the Oklahoma team have entered the transfer portal
Aspen Williston played 6.3 minutes per game this season, tying a career-high of nine points three different times. The sophomore Broken Bow native appeared in 19 games.
Chloe Bloom, a redshirt freshman from Sydney, Australia, appeared in four games."

- Tyler Palmateer, Norman Transcript, 16 April 2020
slimecap

INCOMING GRADUATE TRANSFER
Duke > Texas

5-9 PG Kyra Lambert Clemens HS Cibolo TX

https://goduke.com/sports/womens-basketball/roster/kyra-lambert/11763
Florda_mike
UT would've NEVER got this type player with Aston still there

This may push Mulkey to win some NCs?

I can see both Baylor and UT in a Final Four in future
LIB,MR BEARS
slimecap said:

"Kansas announces that Larry Tidwell will be stepping down as associate head coach this spring due to personal reasons, the program released Monday. With the ongoing global pandemic, the COVID-19 outbreak, Tidwell has decided to relocate back to his hometown of Fort Worth, Texas to be closer to his family.

"I am relocating back home to be with family during these troubled times," said Tidwell. "This crisis has had an impact on my decision in going home to take care of family issues and put family first. I have been away and need to be in a situation where I can get to my family, who all live in Texas, in a hurry."

In his first season with the Jayhawks, the program saw its best overall record (15-14) in seven years. Kansas put forth a competitive 2019-20 campaign as it ended 2019 with an 11-0 non-conference record and charted four conference wins, which included an upset over Texas on Feb. 15. Before the pandemic, the Jayhawks anticipated earning a WNIT bid and hosting a game at home in the first round. The bid would have been KU's first postseason appearance since 2013."

Is this where Jhazmin gets a chance to move up?
blueeyedbear
LIB,MR BEARS said:

slimecap said:

Is this where Jhazmin gets a chance to move up?
If they have a brain they will move her up
slimecap

NEW ASSOCIATE & ASSISTANT COACHES HIRED

"Texas announced that Johnnie Harris, Dionnah Jackson-Durrett and Elena Lovato have been hired as Schaefer's assistant coaches. All three women worked with Schaefer at Mississippi State. At Texas, Harris and Jackson-Durrett will retain their titles as associate head coaches. Lovato will also serve as the program's recruiting coordinator.

Johnnie Harris coached alongside Schaefer during each of his eight seasons as Mississippi State's head coach. She was named the WBCA assistant coach of the year in 2018. Harris, who was reportedly considered for the Mississippi State vacancy, has also worked at Texas A&M, Arkansas and North Carolina State.

Dionnah Jackson-Durrett 5 of 10 years as a coach were spent at Mississippi State. Jackson-Durrett was an all-conference point guard at Oklahoma in 2003 and 2004, and she mentored two points guards at Mississippi State in Jazzmun Holmes and Morgan William who earned honorable mention honors on the Associated Press' All-American team.

Elena Lovato 4 seasons as an assistant at Mississippi State were interrupted by a two-year run in which she went 37-24 as the head coach at Arkansas-Fort Smith. Lovato also compiled a 113-8 record and won two national titles over four seasons as a head coach at the junior college level."

- Danny Davis, Austin American-Statesman, 17 April 2020
74Bear
Very strong staff for Schaefer.
Pale Rider
Very. And formidable.
historian
Thankfully, we have Mulkey and her staff. They are strong and formidable too--and they know how to win national championships.
Pale Rider
historian said:

Thankfully, we have Mulkey and her staff. They are strong and formidable too--and they know how to win national championships.

Absolutely. And absolutely the best. Imho.
Florda_mike
I think we all know UT has done

They've FINALLY invested to try and beat the Baylor/Mulkey juggernaut

We'll see how it turns out
historian
ESPN reported at the time that Karen was fired mainly because of her record against Baylor. It was also reported in the Bryan/College Station paper. I guess events are proving this correct.
slimecap
blueeyedbear said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

Is this where Jhasmin gets a chance to move up?

JHASMIN PLAYER
Assistant Coach

"I compiled a list of 50 NCAA D1 assistant coaches that are impacting the game and their programs in a variety of ways. These 50 coaches are at different points in their careers, from seasoned veterans, associate head coaches all the way to graduate assistants, but they all bring a variety of skills and assets to the programs they are impacting. There are young coaches with vigor, energy and enthusiasm. They have a thirst for challenge, changing lives and learning. Also, there are experienced coaches that bring a wealth of wisdom and understanding. Many of these coaches have made an impression on me, whether it be it be their recruiting prowess, key relationships, network, knowledge, impact on others, understanding of the game and/or the successes of the programs they've been attached to.

Jhasmin Player is a young brilliant mind in the coaching industry. Very intelligent with great presence and moxy, Coach Player has brought a breath of fresh air to the coaching world. She caught the attention of the world two years ago with a fabulous monologue she posted on twitter discussing the difficulties of making the transition from one of the nation's top players to a freshman at a national program, playing very little minutes. That video has garnered closed to 1.5 million views to date. Her social media platforms have since gained a lot of traction, become a place where difficult subjects are addressed and perspectives are gained."

- Silver Waves Media, 11 April 2020
LIB,MR BEARS
slimecap said:

blueeyedbear said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

Is this where Jhasmin gets a chance to move up?

JHASMIN PLAYER
Assistant Coach

"I compiled a list of 50 NCAA D1 assistant coaches that are impacting the game and their programs in a variety of ways. These 50 coaches are at different points in their careers, from seasoned veterans, associate head coaches all the way to graduate assistants, but they all bring a variety of skills and assets to the programs they are impacting. There are young coaches with vigor, energy and enthusiasm. They have a thirst for challenge, changing lives and learning. Also, there are experienced coaches that bring a wealth of wisdom and understanding. Many of these coaches have made an impression on me, whether it be it be their recruiting prowess, key relationships, network, knowledge, impact on others, understanding of the game and/or the successes of the programs they've been attached to.

Jhasmin Player is a young brilliant mind in the coaching industry. Very intelligent with great presence and moxy, Coach Player has brought a breath of fresh air to the coaching world. She caught the attention of the world two years ago with a fabulous monologue she posted on twitter discussing the difficulties of making the transition from one of the nation's top players to a freshman at a national program, playing very little minutes. That video has garnered closed to 1.5 million views to date. Her social media platforms have since gained a lot of traction, become a place where difficult subjects are addressed and perspectives are gained."

- Silver Waves Media, 11 April 2020
Jhas has a great future ahead of her. I hope, somewhere down the line, her career path leads her back to BU.
bawitdaball
historian said:

ESPN reported at the time that Karen was fired mainly because of her record against Baylor. It was also reported in the Bryan/College Station paper. I guess events are proving this correct.
I spoke to my colleagues at UT. They hired and are now recruiting for the sole purpose to compete with Baylor. They feel that Astin didn't have a chance to compete and that she was losing ground over the last two seasons. I didn't believe it, but it appears to be the sole reason she was let go. They interviewed one person for the new job, and everyone on the board wanted Schaffer. They feel he has what it takes to dethrone Baylor and compete, year in and year out, for a Big 12 Championship. It makes me a bit nervous, but I love the fight and competitiveness...and I can't wait to see Mulkey continue to run the gauntlet of the Big 12 in the decade to come!
Wichitabear
Just can't stand it that that little school on the Brazos kicks their butt constantly. Lol Amusing
historian
Fun Baylor vs UT athletics fact:

So far as I know, the last time a Baylor football, basketball (MBB or WBB), or volley ball team lost to Texas was when the VB team lost early last season in Austin. They made up for it with a big win in Waco and retained their #1 ranking until the Final Four--their first ever.

I think the only other loss to Texas any Baylor sport had in the 2019-20 season was a few days earlier when the soccer team did. Since all the Spring sports have been cancelled, we do not know. At least the players have another year of eligibility and some of already announced that they will return.

Sic 'em Bears!!
Pale Rider
That's absolutely amazing.
slimecap
Florda_mike
Richards back another season should bode well for those defensive numbers
jumpinjoe
Perhaps you need to follow Track and Field more. Baylor has yet to compete with UT because of limits to walk on athletes. They lost both men and women in cross country, and in indoor track this year. Please don't tell me you don't consider T&F a sport.
Joined BaylorFans in 1999 under username jumpinjoe. Have always been Jumpinjoe. Proud 4 Year Baylor letterman and 1968 graduate and charter member of Quartermiler U, produced school record in 400 IH.
First Page Last Page
Page 74 of 159

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.