Big 12 happenings

1,133,725 Views | 5531 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by slimecap
historian
How long do you want to ignore this user?
No, that is definitely a sport. It's just one that I overlooked when checking.

T&F aside, Baylor's record against Texas over the past year is excellent.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
bawitdaball
historian said:

Also, you have to look at swimming. Texas ran that meet from start to finish dominating everyone in the Big 12. Still, Baylor had a fantastic year.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
bawitdaball said:

historian said:

Also, you have to look at swimming. Texas ran that meet from start to finish dominating everyone in the Big 12. Still, Baylor had a fantastic year.
Does anyone else in the Big 12 have a swim team? Rowing?
bawitdaball
Brian Ethridge said:

bawitdaball said:

historian said:

Does anyone else in the Big 12 have a swim team? Rowing?
Rowing: Texas, Kansas, Kansas State, Oklahoma, West Virginia
Conference alignment is a little different in rowing. Alabama and Tennessee also compete with the Big 12 in the sport.

Swimming & Diving: Texas, TCU, West Virginia, Kansas, Iowa State
Conference alignment holds true here.
Florda_mike
jumpinjoe said:

Perhaps you need to follow Track and Field more. Baylor has yet to compete with UT because of limits to walk on athletes. They lost both men and women in cross country, and in indoor track this year. Please don't tell me you don't consider T&F a sport.

For the record I'm a Track fanatic

Did Pete Morales run when you were there?

I became a distance runner because of him fwiw
historian
bawitdaball said:

Rowing: Texas, Kansas, Kansas State, Oklahoma, West Virginia
Conference alignment is a little different in rowing. Alabama and Tennessee also compete with the Big 12 in the sport.

Swimming & Diving: Texas, TCU, West Virginia, Kansas, Iowa State
Conference alignment holds true here.
If Baylor does not compete in those sports, you cannot say that Texas beat Baylor in any of them. My original point stands.
LIB,MR BEARS
jumpinjoe said:

Perhaps you need to follow Track and Field more. Baylor has yet to compete with UT because of limits to walk on athletes. They lost both men and women in cross country, and in indoor track this year. Please don't tell me you don't consider T&F a sport.
It is certainly a sport. However, until they can figure out a way to get HS track meets to run smoothly prior to district meets, it is going to be hard to get a good following. All of my worst memories as a parent with HS athletes involve early season track meets.
drahthaar
Florda_mike said:

jumpinjoe said:

For the record I'm a Track fanatic

Did Pete Morales run when you were there?

I became a distance runner because of him fwiw
Remember Pete well...during my time there...from Post as I recall. One tough dude.
jumpinjoe
Pete Morales came several years after me.

Walter Reyna '67-'68 from Falfurius was our distant guy and conference champion in distances. He is currently a nominee under consideration for Baylors Athletic Hall of Fame.
Joined BaylorFans in 1999 under username jumpinjoe. Have always been Jumpinjoe. Proud 4 Year Baylor letterman and 1968 graduate and charter member of Quartermiler U, produced school record in 400 IH.
Florda_mike
jumpinjoe said:

Pete Morales came several years after me.

Walter Reyna from Falfurius was our distant guy and conference champion in distances. He is currently a nominee under consideration for Baylors Athletic Hall of Fame.

I remember Reyna too

Saw a lotta Track at that cinder track(behind old Gibson's I think?)

Thanks for childhood memories
jumpinjoe
Well!!! If you saw Reyna, then you saw me, too. You mean I didn't motivate you to run the 400 hurdles? That's the race that separates men from boys.
Joined BaylorFans in 1999 under username jumpinjoe. Have always been Jumpinjoe. Proud 4 Year Baylor letterman and 1968 graduate and charter member of Quartermiler U, produced school record in 400 IH.
LIB,MR BEARS
jumpinjoe said:

Well!!! If you saw Reyna, then you saw me, too. You mean I didn't motivate you to run the 400 hurdles? That's the race that separates men from boys.
...and insane from sane.
slimecap

2020 WNBA DRAFT

"Joyner Holmes was selected by Seattle in the WNBA Draft on Friday night. The Storm took Holmes in the second round with the 19th overall pick.

A 6-3 forward, Holmes was once considered to be the second-best prospect in the 2016 recruiting class. As a senior at Texas, she averaged 13.1 points and 8.7 rebounds per game, Holmes led UT in rebounding during her freshman, sophomore and junior years.

When asked about Holmes earlier this week, ESPN analyst Rebecca Lobo said that "She is a great athlete. She has a great WNBA body. Her versatility in terms of her ability to get rebounds and facilitate on the break the other way is something that translates really well to the WNBA."

- Danny Davis, Austin-American Statesman, 17 April 2020
whitetrash
slimecap said:

A 6-3 forward, Holmes was once considered to be the second-best prospect in the 2016 recruiting class.
Sorta like the Edsel was once considered to be the second-best American luxury car in 1957 before it hit the market.
Pale Rider
that's good trash, very good.
Wichitabear
whitetrash said:

slimecap said:

A 6-3 forward, Holmes was once considered to be the second-best prospect in the 2016 recruiting class.
Sorta like the Edsel was once considered to be the second-best American luxury car in 1957 before it hit the market.
lololol Love it!
Florda_mike
jumpinjoe said:

Yep, saw ya

I tried hurdles for very short time, VERY!!! Ha

Cinder tracks were pretty unforgiving for this "boy" back then, as far as hitting hurdles went, imo

Ha

I coached HS over here for 11 seasons

I learned hurdles were for "men" for sure, bud. And the best athletes on team too!
Florda_mike
LIB,MR BEARS said:

jumpinjoe said:

...and insane from sane.

^^^
Gets it!
Florda_mike
With a real coach to harbor her aggression she could be fine
slimecap
Florda_mike said:

With a real coach to harbor her aggression she could be fine
About Joyner Holmes

"There's no denying she has a big upside," Seattle coach Dan Hughes said. "We wanted to work with that upside. We were really pleased to give her an opportunity and get her in the second round."

- Danny Davis, Austin American-Statesman, 18 April 2020
slimecap

TRANSFER OUT
Oklahoma > USouth Dakota

"A 6-4 center from Broken Bow, Oklahoma, Aspen Williston spent the past two seasons playing for the University of Oklahoma under Sherri Coale. Williston was ranked by espnW as the No. 17 center in her signing class. Williston will have 2 years of eligibility remaining with USD beginning with the 2021-22 season."

- Britni Smith, USD Sports Information, 21 April 2020
slimecap

2020 SIGNED

Neferatali Notoa

From Brisbane, Australia
Link
https://www.ocolly.com/sports/8-000-miles-and-a-day-ahead-the-story-of-new-cowgirl-neferatali-notoa/article_b3cd1f2c-835f-11ea-b661-cffbd22856af.html
slimecap

TRANSFER OUT
TCU > LSU

LSU head coach Nikki Fargas has announced the addition of transfer Ryann Payne to the Tigers'2019-20 Signing Class. Payne will transfer from TCU and be a junior during her first season at LSU.

- LSU WBB website, 15 April 2020

https://lsusports.net/news/2020/4/15/payne-added-to-womens-basketball-team.aspx
Florda_mike
That's good!
slimecap

NEW ASSISTANT COACH
Texas > Kansas

"Kansas alum Terry Nooner joins the Kansas staff as an assistant coach. Nooner's responsibilities at KU will include recruiting, scouting, game preparation, skill development and position coach for forwards.

Having found success at all levels of basketball, Nooner returns to Kansas after serving as an assistant at Texas during the 2019-20 season. Before his time at Texas, Nooner spent the 2018-19 season at the professional level with the NBA's Cleveland Cavaliers as a player development coach. Nooner was a former guard and team captain for the University of Kansas from 1997-2000."

Link for entire 23 April 2020 article
https://kuathletics.com/terry-nooner-returns-to-kansas-as-womens-basketball-assistant-coach/
slimecap

ENTERING TRANSFER PORTAL

Lauren Mills 6-2 Center Redshirt Sophomore Hobart, Tasmania, Australia

Source: World Exposure Portal twitter feed, 15 April 2020

https://cyclones.com/sports/womens-basketball/roster/lauren-mills/10503
slimecap

TRANSFER IN
George Washington > TCU

Kayla Mokwuah will transfer to TCU after spending her first two collegiate seasons at George Washington. In two seasons with the Colonials, Mokwuah averaged 7.4 points and 4.1 rebounds, while shooting .475 from the field and .654 from the free throw line.

This past season as a sophomore, Mokwuah posted a new season-high 8.2 points per game. She tallied 135 total rebounds, while also notching 24 assists, 17 steals and 28 blocked shots. She totaled a season-high 18 points on two separate occasions and also tallied a season-high 10 rebounds. She was one of only four players on the team to play in all 30 games this past season.

Mokwuah will join a 2020-21 TCU squad that includes 6 returners, a graduate transfer, a junior college transfer and 4 incoming freshmen.

- TCU WBB website, 27 April 2020
Florda_mike
TCU is seemingly valuing defense it appears by getting this transfer?

She appears to be a potential scorer that plays solid D?

Maybe TCU is trying to be more like Baylor?
Wichitabear
Florda_mike said:

Parrish the thought! Lol. They have a good coach and she is starting to get competitive.
Pale Rider
Wichitabear said:

Florda_mike said:

Parrish the thought! Lol. They have a good coach and she is starting to get competitive.

Yep.
historian
I would expect everyone in the Big 12 would want to be more like Baylor since Baylor owns the conference in WBB and has owned it for a decade.
Wichitabear
Yep they want to be like us but, they don't have the one ingredient they need. Mulkey
Pale Rider
Wichitabear said:

Yep they want to be like us but, they don't have the one ingredient they need. Mulkey

Got Mulk?
historian
Brilliant!!

LOL literally!
slimecap

TRANSFER OUT
Oklahoma > Long Beach State

Kamryn Lemon 5-7 Junior Guard Dreher HS Sumter SC
"Lemon will join Long Beach State after stints at Oklahoma and Odessa Community College. While with the Sooners, the 5-foot-7 guard averaged 6.6 points per game, 3.4 rebounds per game, and 3.6 assists per game. Prior to her time at Oklahoma, Lemon played at Odessa Community College in Texas where she averaged 15.7 points per game to go along with 3.8 assists per game. She shot 43.6 percent from the field and 36.0 percent from long distance en route to being named WJCAC Newcomer of the Year and was selected to the All-Region Team."

- Long Beach State WBB website, 28 April 2020
First Page Last Page
Page 75 of 159

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.