Big 12 happenings

1,133,850 Views | 5531 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by slimecap
Florda_mike
How long do you want to ignore this user?
With good experience and coaching success maybe Nina could make short list when Kim is ready to step down

Hard to think of such but it'll happen some day
Wichitabear
Florda_mike said:

With good experience and coaching success maybe Nina could make short list when Kim is ready to step down

Hard to think of such but it'll happen some day
yes, I have thought about that myself but don't like to dwell on it. Lolol
blueeyedbear
I don't like to consider the thought either but Nina is a good thought. I think Jhasmin Player is right there as well although I really would not want to put that kind of pressure on either one of them unless they were really ready to fill those shoes.
historian
It's a great idea--in 10-20 years.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
slimecap

TRANSFER OUT
Texas > Utah

University of Utah head coach Lynne Roberts announced the addition of Isabel Palmer to the 2020-21 roster. Palmer is a 5-9 transfer from the University of Texas, who played as a true freshman in 2019-20. Palmer will redshirt during the 2020-21 season with the Utes due to NCAA transfer rules.

The Newcastle, Australia, native played in 27 games last season, averaging 11.5 minutes, 3.1 points and 1.8 rebounds per game for Texas. She notched a collegiate career-high 15 points against UTRGV in non-conference play, also putting up 12 points and nine rebounds against Northwestern State.

Link for entire article
https://utahutes.com/news/2020/7/13/womens-basketball-adds-isabel-palmer-to-2020-21-roster.aspx
slimecap

2020 NLI COMMIT CHANGES SCHOOLS
TCU > Hawai'i

15 July 2020 on UHawai'i WBB website
"University of Hawai'i team added to its 2020-2021 roster by announcing the signing of Channel Noah."

14 Nov 2019 on TCU WBB website
Channel Noah 6-5 Forward France / South Plains College
"Noah will make the transition from South Plains Community College to TCU. She appeared in 23 games at SPC last season, helping guide the team to a 30-5 overall record and a 12-2 mark in conference play."
DanaDane
Go examine the history of schools hiring coaches who played at the school. In the overwhelming majority of cases, it doesn't work out that well.

Go find the best basketball coach around at the time Kim retires (which will be in the next 2 or 3 years). If the best coach available IS one of her former players, then hire her (or him, if it's a coach or other person around the program). If not, then don't just hire because someone was a star here. Hire that person because they've shown high levels of achievement at the coaching level.
Russell Gym
Do you have inside knowledge of this 2-3 year retirement window, or is it just your opinion?
Dcheetah
Pretty sure that timeline is not accurate. If 22-23 recruiting goes as some expect, cant imagine Kim not riding that train.
slimecap

WNBA
Kalani Brown & Alexis Jones

2020 WNBA Team Preview: Atlanta Dream

Off-Season Moves
Trades: ... Acquired Kalani Brown from Los Angeles for Brittney Sykes and Marie Glich
Players Added: ... Signed Alexis Jones as free agent.

Who's at IMG Academy
Some of the key players that will represent the Dream in 2020.
Kalani Brown
2019 Stats (Los Angeles): 28 GP, 13.5 MPG, 5.1 PPG, 3.5 RPG, 0.6 APG, 0.8 BPG, 47.0 FG%
The 7th pick in last year's draft played limited minutes for a Sparks team loaded with frontcourt talent. The 6-7 center out of Baylor gives the Dream a young big to build around.

Link for entire article
https://www.wnba.com/news/2020-wnba-team-preview-atlanta-dream/
slimecap

NEW ASSISTANT COACH
Carlene Mitchell

A 20-year veteran of the game, Carlene Mitchell joins the Texas Tech women's basketball staff adding WNBA and International basketball experience.

Mitchell served 4 seasons as the head coach at the University of California at Santa Barbara. In her first season at the helm, she led the Gauchos to the Big West Conference Championship as the sixth seed and a spot in the NCAA Tournament. Prior to UCSB, Mitchell spent 10 seasons as an assistant coach at Rutgers University.

Link to entire article
https://texastech.com/staff-directory/carlene-mitchell/2910
slimecap

2022 RECRUITING
Mikayla Parks

5-8 PG/SG Norman HS Norman OK. Offered by Kansas State.

- Mikayla Parks twitter feed, 19 Jan 2020
gold rewards
Love the info on this thread. Seems to be a realistic look at all teams with very little being said negatively about any person or team, except, perhaps, Karen Aston(!). If a lady doesn't sign with Baylor, she is wished well. It's an honest look at particular transfers, new recruits, and some interesting speculation. I appreciate the fact that there are very few posts that flame at fellow posters. Thanks for keeping it civil, and disagreeing agreeably.

Thanks for posting the graphic of the Baylor and Texas recruits. I, too, was amazed at the amount of talent that had transferred out of Baylor, and Texas for that matter. And I'm glad those ladies found a place to play (assuming most of them did).
historian
Agree with all the above.

I suspect some of those ladies who left Baylor WBB for one reason or another regret it. I don't think any of them are part of a team today that won a national championship.
BaylorTaxman
So who challenges Kim first? Shaeffer at UT, Pebley at TCU, or Stollings at Tech? Probably none of them. But pretend like we have to pick one. I like Pebley, but she may be a little overrated. I don't like Tech, but Stollings seems pretty salty. And while Shaeffer has handed Kim two of her biggest losses, she has beaten teams for which he has coached.

I am going to say Shaeffer because of recruiting potential at UT. I just know for sure I would not want to be Coale.
historian
Stollings is more established now so she might have an advantage over the others.
BaylorTaxman
historian said:

Stollings is more established now so she might have an advantage over the others.

That is a fair analysis. I almost said her but Vic should have a recruiting advantage.
historian
It's a valid point and could easily go his way. Since I'm terrible about predicting things (like most people) watch it be someone else that no one anticipated.
Dcheetah
I will be surprised if it is not Vic. Texas has the brand (whether they deserve it or not), a hot coach with a popular playing style, good recruiting assistants, good momentum in recruiting and recent excellent recruits, many contacts in the AAU world and the new factor going for it. I think we will be challenged sooner than later. am also sure this will push us to new heights with CKM and our team - the old rising tide...
CKM is such a competitor, can't see it any other way. Expecting some UConn-ND like games in importance and competitiveness in the future and Baylor to remain at the top. But, it will be tougher top to bottom.
BaylorTaxman
Yep I agree. And I think it will be good for the game.
fredbear
UT. TT and TCU will have sporadic talent and lucky games, but no year in and year out major success. I like both coaches, but TT success is accent history and even their men can't sustain recruiting. TCU will loose their coach if she has success.
historian
If so, not only will it be good for Baylor but for the Big 12 and women's basketball in general.
slimecap
gold rewards said:

Love the info on this thread. ...
Hi gold rewards, I appreciate your supportive words. Thank you !!
slimecap
Dcheetah said:

CKM is such a competitor

slimecap

Christeen Iwuala (12) & Baylor verbal commit 2023 Sammie Wagner (11) on Jan 18, 2020

2022 RECRUITING
Christeen Iwuala

6-4 Post Reagan HS San Antonio TX

"We want to congratulate Christeen Iwuala for getting another Big 12 offer from Oklahoma."

- Reagan Girls Hoops twitter feed, 17 July 2020
Florda_mike
UT finally got something right

Give him 2-3 seasons and he's got UT back in NC conversation
74Bear
Schaefer is a very good coach and will get top classes and will win, but T. McGowan was a gift for him at Miss St. My understanding she was headed to Blinn JC if she stayed in state.
Adriacus Peratuun
Florda_mike said:

UT finally got something right

Give him 2-3 seasons and he's got UT back in NC conversation

In which sport?

UT had 2 [max] players that might have made Baylor's rotation last year. Not starters, rotation. One is a Junior this year, the other a Sophomore. They will be gone by the time the next 2-3 recruiting classes arrive. It isn't starting from 0 but fairly close. The UT 2020 class is TCU level. Their 2021 class has two "ranked recruits" but Moore is over ranked and a tweener and am seriously wondering if Harmon will develop into a defender at some point. UT is blanketing 2022 and 2023 ranked recruits with offers.....always wonder if that approach pays dividends.

Vic is an OK coach but "as the saying goes" generally horses win races not jockeys [Jimmys and Joes not X's & O's].
Florda_mike
I'm just saying by '22-23 ' they'll be really good

Or the UT athlete attitude of entitlement will destroy another coach

Disagree on your last sentence. If that's the case Baylor wouldn't need Kim. Without Kim, Baylor women's basketball is nothing we'd care to see
Adriacus Peratuun
Florda_mike said:

I'm just saying by '22-23 ' they'll be really good

Or the UT athlete attitude of entitlement will destroy another coach

Disagree on your last sentence. If that's the case Baylor wouldn't need Kim. Without Kim, Baylor women's basketball is nothing we'd care to see
Ask Kim how good a coach she is with Griner, Cox, Brown, Young, etc. vs. without them. X's and O's are important but recruiting is the lifeblood of a program. Getting and developing top talent beats offensive/defensive schemes. Give me Shaq, Tim Duncan, LeBron, MJ, and a folding chair and I can beat your top 5 playing any schemes.
Florda_mike
You're probably a player is all

Without a coach that knows how to put em in positions to succeed then the player never reaches full potential and just fades as a distant memory on an underachieving team

Example was earlier years of Aston. Plenty of talent, but lacked coach. Mulkey could have taken Aston's squad and beaten Aston with Baylor's players majority of time.

I bet when you start coaching you'll agree
Adriacus Peratuun
Florda_mike said:

You're probably a player is all

Without a coach that knows how to put em in positions to succeed then the player never reaches full potential and just fades as a distant memory on an underachieving team

Example was earlier years of Aston. Plenty of talent, but lacked coach. Mulkey could have taken Aston's squad and beaten Aston with Baylor's players majority of time.

I bet when you start coaching you'll agree

Did Kim Mulkey suddenly become a much better coach with brand new schemes or did the recruiting level improve?

Her career at Baylor is a perfect example of how the exact same coach with the exact same schemes suddenly has far more success as recruiting improves.

The Aston analogy is creating a faulty basis of comparison. You should have enrolled in Logic at Baylor......great class.
Florda_mike
Wow

Ok

Sorry but you don't get what I'm saying .... yet

Try coaching and get back with me
Adriacus Peratuun
Assuming you would trust Kim Mulkey's opinion on the topic......presents a solid question for the media moderators to ask her...

To maximize success as a Division 1 coach, what is the order of importance of these items:

1) recruiting talent
2) schemes [offensive and defensive]
3) game adjustments/tactics
4) individual player development [athleticism and skills]

baylor1984
It's the chicken and the egg argument guys. You need both talent and a great coach to have a NC type level team year in and year out. Baylor is very fortunate to be in that position now.
First Page Last Page
Page 80 of 159

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.