Big 12 happenings

1,133,810 Views | 5531 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by slimecap
Pale Rider
How long do you want to ignore this user?
baylor1984 said:

It's the chicken and the egg argument guys. You need both talent and a great coach to have a NC type level team year in and year out. Baylor is very fortunate to be in that position now.

Exactly. Ever heard of both and.
Adriacus Peratuun
Pale Rider said:

baylor1984 said:

It's the chicken and the egg argument guys. You need both talent and a great coach to have a NC type level team year in and year out. Baylor is very fortunate to be in that position now.

Sure, would be ideal to have both plus a new pony. Except that wasn't the discussion.

The discussion was [basically] which aspect is the bigger priority to achieve winning.

Teams can win championships with great players and poor coaching [UNC with Sylvia Hatchell.......but don't mention that tidbit around Coach Mulkey, bad memories].

Name the last team to win a championship with poor talent.

Again, ask Coach Mulkey the varying levels of importance. Hopefully y'all would believe her.
Florda_mike
Adriacus Peratuun said:

To maximize success as a Division 1 coach, what is the order of importance of these items:

1) recruiting talent
2) schemes [offensive and defensive]
3) game adjustments/tactics
4) individual player development [athleticism and skills]

In order of importance to get #1 above, unless you're at your specific sports blueblood schools, and trying to build a program like Mulkey did .......

#4 needs to be proven first, to get talents eye and prove coach deserves an ear by elite recruit(Mulkey top notch and Aston is example of a failed coach in this respect fwiw)
#2&3 above after player development will make an elite recruits mouth water

So, your 2, 3 and 4 are about coaching and you'll never get your #1 without the coach

THEN, and only then, you get that #1 you mention

After all that you can talk NC as you say

2005 Baylor NC would be an interesting study on this debate

Gotta have coach doing your 4 then 2&3 to get your 1

Baylor is lucky

I say there's a strong chance UT found theirs and I don't like it, just being honest though

And I'm beginning to think there's a chance we violently agree but idk
Florda_mike
Adriacus Peratuun said:

Pale Rider said:

baylor1984 said:

Again, ask Coach Mulkey the varying levels of importance. Hopefully y'all would believe her.

^^^ That's Mulk being humble I hope you know?

She always credits players

But she credits teams, like current group, because they led her drive em to the promise land

That takes special athletes that admire their coach and trust her

Without Mulk, this ship don't sail!!!

Ask an honest UT women's basketball fan
Russell Gym
Florda_mike said:

Adriacus Peratuun said:

To maximize success as a Division 1 coach, what is the order of importance of these items:

1) recruiting talent

In order of importance to get #1 above, unless you're at your specific sports blueblood schools, and trying to build a program like Mulkey did .......

#4 needs to be proven first, to get talents eye and prove coach deserves an ear by elite recruit(Mulkey top notch and Aston is example of a failed coach in this respect fwiw)

So, your 2, 3 and 4 are about coaching and you'll never get your #1 without the coach

Baylor is lucky

I say there's a strong chance UT found theirs and I don't like it, just being honest though

Well done.
Florda_mike
Thanks

It's taken experience as an athlete and then as a coach leading elite athletes to D1 scholarship decisions to have a clue of that

Allotta sweat
Adriacus Peratuun
Florda_mike said:

Adriacus Peratuun said:

1) recruiting talent

Baylor is lucky

You are mistaking linear progression with level of importance. The most important item in any recipe may not be the first ingredient added.

Few would doubt that the engine is the single most important component of any vehicle. In any build, it is one of the last parts attached.

The discussion wasn't linear progression [your counter] but comparative importance. Which components contribute the highest % of value to success. A great example is John Wooden. He didn't really change his formula. But adding Lew Alcindor & Bill Walton [etc.] changed the outcomes.

Players are the ingredients. Coaching is the recipe. A coach [chef] can make something nice without the recipe but can't make anything without the ingredients.
Big Bear
There was a stitched plague for the lack of a better description that hung on the wall behind Adolph Rupp's desk which said "You cannot win the Kentucky Derby with a bunch of jackasses". How amazing?
slimecap

2021 VERBAL COMMIT
Paige Bradley

5-10 combo guard Bishop Lynch HS Dallas TX
Daughter of UTexas athletes, she decommited from Texas in May 2020.

Interview
Paige discusses how she chose TCU. She also shares the difference in her mindset from her first time navigating through the recruiting process, and how her mindset changed after reopening her recruitment.
https://www.txhoopsbeat.com/news_article/show/1114425
BaylorTaxman
Florda_mike said:

Adriacus Peratuun said:

1) recruiting talent

Baylor is lucky

Good stuff. I agree.
slimecap
BIG 12 PLAYERS
2020 WNBA Rosters

Baylor
Kalani Brown Atlanta
Te'a Cooper Los Angeles
Lauren Cox Indiana
Brittney Griner Phoenix
Alexis Jones Atlanta

Iowa State
Bridget Carleton Minnesota

Oklahoma
Danielle Robinson Las Vegas

Texas
Ariel Atkins Washington
Joyner Holmes New York

Texas Tech
Brittany Brewer Atlanta

West Virginia
Bria Holmes Connecticut

Note
Baylor
Odyssey Sims "expected to re-join Minnesota at some point this season"

- Excerpts from BIG 12 WBB website, 22 July 2020
historian
slimecap said:

BIG 12 PLAYERS
2020 WNBA Rosters

Baylor
Kalani Brown Atlanta
Te'a Cooper Los Angeles
Lauren Cox Indiana
Brittney Griner Phoenix
Alexis Jones Atlanta

Iowa State

Oklahoma

Texas
Ariel Atkins Washington
Joyner Holmes New York

Texas Tech
Brittany Brewer Atlanta

West Virginia
Bria Holmes Connecticut

Note
Baylor
Odyssey Sims expected to re-join Minnesota at some point this season

A lot of talent there, lopsided talent.
Florda_mike
slimecap said:

BIG 12 PLAYERS
2020 WNBA Rosters

Baylor
Kalani Brown Atlanta
Te'a Cooper Los Angeles
Lauren Cox Indiana
Brittney Griner Phoenix
Alexis Jones Atlanta

Iowa State

Oklahoma

Texas
Ariel Atkins Washington
Joyner Holmes New York

Texas Tech
Brittany Brewer Atlanta

West Virginia
Bria Holmes Connecticut

Note
Baylor
Odyssey Sims "expected to re-join Minnesota at some point this season"

Thanks Slimecap

Including Sims makes Baylor with 6 and rest of conference, together, has the same

Thanks again Mulkey!
slimecap
Florda_mike said:

slimecap said:

BIG 12 PLAYERS
2020 WNBA Rosters
Including Sims makes Baylor with 6
and rest of conference, together, has the same
Hi Florda_mike,
Enjoyed your math
slimecap

Jill Shields term on NCAA Division I WBB Committee began September 1, 2019

NCAA DIVISION I WOMEN'S BASKETBALL COMMITTEE
2020-21

In addition to other duties, the committee selects the 32 best at-large teams in the country and then seeds and brackets the 64-team championship field. There is still one vacancy on the 10-person committee.

Atlantic 10 Conference Debbie Richardson senior associate commissioner
Ball State Beth Goetz director of athletics
Duke Nina King (chairperson) senior deputy athletics director
Kansas State Jill Shields deputy athletics director
Northwestern Denee Barracato deputy director of athletics
Northwestern State Greg Burke director of athletics
Oregon Lisa Peterson deputy athletics director
UCalifornia-Riverside Smith Jones director of intercollegiate athletics
UTennessee-Martin Kurt McGuffin director of intercollegiate athletics

- NCAA website, 22 July 2020
slimecap

ROSTER
2020-21

Roster webpage
https://wvusports.com/sports/womens-basketball/roster
slimecap

JADEN OWENS

historian
Nice. Thanks for sharing.

Other than the peanut butter, she's great! I look forward to seeing her on the court.
slimecap

TRANSFER IN
San Diego State > Texas Tech

Head coach Marlene Stollings announced the signing of transfer Naj Murray on Tuesday. Murray, who played the first two seasons of her career at San Diego State, will be immediately eligible to play for the Lady Raiders for the upcoming 2020-21 season.

Murray was a standout for San Diego State as a freshman and sophomore. A sharpshooter from long range, Murray set the school record for most three-pointers in a single season (81) in 2019, leading all players in the Mountain West Conference in that category as well. That season, she made 31 starts in 32 appearances, and averaged 13.7 points, 4.3 rebounds, 2.7 assists and 1.9 steals.

Link for entire 28 July 2020 article
https://texastech.com/news/2020/7/28/womens-basketball-lady-raider-basketball-signs-transfer-naj-murray.aspx
slimecap

UPDATE
July 28, 2020
Winners and losers of women's college basketball's transfer season

"It's getting difficult to win a championship in women's college basketball without a little help from transfers. Whether South Carolina's Kaela Davis and Allisha Gray in 2017, Notre Dame's Jessica Shepard in 2018 or Baylor's Chloe Jackson in 2019, fresh starts turned into titles. Who were the winners and losers during the heart of the transfer season?

Winners Kim Mulkey is darn good at developing centerpieces, with junior forward NaLyssa Smith being the latest in a line of homegrown All-Americans. But Baylor's coach is also as adept as anyone at outsourcing complementary stars.

Enter DiJonai Carrington, the graduate transfer from Stanford who follows Chloe Jackson (LSU) and Te'a Cooper (Tennessee and South Carolina) in that role. Like her predecessors who each led the team in field goal attempts in their lone seasons, Carrington is a scorer who nonetheless doesn't require an offense built around her. If her body allows it, and past injuries will be a concern, she might even be the best of the exclusive-but-expanding club of Baylor transfers. Mulkey also landed excellent insurance in case the graduate pipeline dries up next year, adding sophomore guard Jaden Owens from UCLA."

Link for entire article
https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/29547913/winners-losers-women-college-basketball-transfer-season
slimecap
slimecap said:

BIG 12 RECRUITING
2021 Chantae Embry

PREVIOUS 16 March 2020 Joe Buettner, Norman Transcript,
.. one-time Oklahoma State commit before reopening her recruitment
.. holds offers from Kansas, Kansas State, LSU, Texas A&M, TCU, Texas Tech, Tulsa, UTA and Wichita State.

UPDATE 3 Aug 2020 Raoul twitter feed

"Top-100 ranked 2021 WBB prospect Chantae Embry, 6-2 F, Norman HS (OK), has announced that she's narrowed her list to four schools: Kansas, Kansas State, Missouri State, and Texas A&M."
slimecap

2022 VERBAL COMMIT
Marley Washenitz

5-9 G Fairmont HS Fairmont WV

"Washenitz was a third team player in her freshman year, and arrived as one of the top girls players in the state her sophomore season, averaging 24 points and 10 rebounds, along with six-plus assists and steals per contest for the Fairmont Senior Polar Bears.

"My top three priorities for the college that I was planning on going to were coaching, style of play and just feeling at home. You know, I didn't wait because there is nothing for me to wait for. WVU fit all three criteria for me and it was just kind of the perfect college for me," Washenitz said.

West Virginia was one of two Power-5 offers, along with Virginia Tech, that Washenitz had received prior to her announcement."

Link for entire 5 Aug 2020 article
https://www.wboy.com/sports/marley-washenitz-announces-verbal-commitment-to-wvu-womens-basketball-program/
slimecap

August 6, 2020 @ 9:10 PM

"Texas Tech decided to terminate women's basketball coach Marlene Stollings on Thursday night amid allegations of abuse within the program, athletic director Kirby Hocutt told players in a text message obtained by USA TODAY Sports.

Hocutt released a statement late Thursday evening saying he has scheduled a Zoom news conference for 3 p.m. Friday."

Link for entire article
https://www.lubbockonline.com/sports/20200806/stollings-out-at-tech
57Bear
Thanks as always for the post. Beautiful pup.
74Bear
PER RAOUL: Rutgers transfer Alexis Morris (5-6 RS SO point guard, Beaumont, TX), who started her college career at Baylor, has returned to her home state, landing at Texas A&M
Pale Rider
Interesting.
Wichitabear
Pale Rider said:

Interesting.
I'm a little shocked
Russell Gym
Wichitabear said:

Pale Rider said:

Interesting.
I'm a little shocked

They may be willing to take more chances now - how long since a Final Four for them?
Adriacus Peratuun
Aggie is desperate.

Pitts - Minnesota, baggage
Green - Tennessee, baggage
Morris - Rutgers, baggage

beardoc
slimecap said:

TRANSFER IN

Head coach Marlene Stollings announced the signing of transfer Naj Murray on Tuesday. Murray, who played the first two seasons of her career at San Diego State, will be immediately eligible to play for the Lady Raiders for the upcoming 2020-21 season.

Murray was a standout for San Diego State as a freshman and sophomore. A sharpshooter from long range, Murray set the school record for most three-pointers in a single season (81) in 2019, leading all players in the Mountain West Conference in that category as well. That season, she made 31 starts in 32 appearances, and averaged 13.7 points, 4.3 rebounds, 2.7 assists and 1.9 steals.

https://texastech.com/news/2020/7/28/womens-basketball-lady-raider-basketball-signs-transfer-naj-murray.aspx
Bad timing on this ?
historian
74Bear said:

PER RAOUL: Rutgers transfer Alexis Morris (5-6 RS SO point guard, Beaumont, TX), who started her college career at Baylor, has returned to her home state, landing at Texas A&M
A year ago I bet she regretted leaving Baylor. I don't the details of why & how (hardly matters now) but clearly she goofed one way or another.
Wichitabear
beardoc said:

slimecap said:

TRANSFER IN

Bad timing on this ?
real bad
slimecap
slimecap

2020-21 SCHEDULE UPDATE
Date & Time

"Arkansas is scheduled to host Baylor for a women's basketball game at Bud Walton Arena
on Sunday, Dec. 6 at 2 p.m., according to a game contract. The matchup will be part of the Big 12/SEC Challenge."

- Matt Jones, Whole Hog Sports, 7 Aug 2020
slimecap

TRANSFER OUT
TCU > San Diego State

"San Diego State head coach Stacie Terry-Hutson has announced the signing of Alex Crain, a graduate transfer from TCU. The 5'9" guard is immediately eligible and will suit up for the Aztecs for two seasons.

Crain, who was home schooled, was rated a three-star prospect by espnW and Prospects Nation coming out of high school. She played for the Dallas Thunder, a basketball organization for home-schooled students that competes as part of the National Christian Home School Championships (NCHC), and earned NCHC All-American and Big South All-Region honors three times.

Crain becomes the fifth Aztec from Texas and is one of eight newcomers that will suit up for SDSU in the 2020-21 season (three transfers and five freshmen)."

Link for entire 7 Aug 2020 article
https://goaztecs.com/news/2020/8/7/womens-basketball-aztecs-sign-tcu-transfer-alex-crain.aspx
First Page Last Page
Page 81 of 159

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.