Big 12 happenings

1,133,947 Views | 5531 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by slimecap
74Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Sherri Coale the Sooners' head women's basketball coach since 1996 agreed to a contract extension through June 30, 2024. Assistant women's basketball coaches Colton Coale and Jackie Stiles had their contracts extended to June 30, 2021....from Sooners sports site
slimecap

How a 'clerical error' uncovered a coaching scandal at Texas Tech
by Daniel Libit

"Almost exactly one year ago, I emailed a public records request to Texas Tech University seeking 'all documentary materials related to 2018-2019 student athlete exit interviews.'

On Wednesday, that request materialized in a joint investigation story published in USA TODAY, which discovered myriad allegations of psychological torment wrought by head coach Marlene Stollings; inappropriate touching and sexual harassment by her hand-picked basketball trainer; and a potentially dangerous system of coerced overexertion, involving heart-rate monitors, which one former player described as, 'basically like a torture mechanism.'

What distinguishes this particular story from the ever-growing list of athlete-abuse claims made against college coaches, is how they have been so thoroughly documented by Texas Tech and yet, thus far, to little evident effect. For at least the last two seasons, Stollings has carried forth as head coach, pocketing over $700,000 in annual salary, despite the school maintaining a lengthening paper trail of alarming and widely-shared expressions of misery from numerous players on her team.

And yet, if not for what Texas Tech's in-house lawyers would later describe as a "clerical error," it very well might not have come to light.

... I eventually made a records request for documents from the previous year's exit interviews and encountered an absolute bonanza. ... As it came to pass, Texas Tech attempted to file its denial brief about my request on July 11, 2019 the 15th business day after I had emailed it but accidentally uploaded the wrong document into the public records electronic filing system. The school evidently was not aware of this error for two more months when, on Sept. 9, it received notice from the AG's Office that it had failed to comply with the procedural requirements for an appeal and was therefore required to turn over the documents to me, posthaste.

... What if Texas Tech hadn't played the public records delay game in the first place? What if they had handed over the documents last summer, and the reporting commenced six months earlier? How much alleged suffering could have been mitigated?

In describing their experiences, some of the athletes expressed guilt for not blowing the whistle earlier and louder.

:"I've seen people on Twitter commit and it makes me sick to my stomach," one player said. "It's like when you boil a frog, and you're like, 'This isn't so bad. Then it gets worse and worse.' And then you're dead."

Read the entire 6 Aug 2020 article
https://extrapoints.substack.com/p/how-a-clerical-error-uncovered-a
Pale Rider
Wow.
BaylorGrad&Dad
Slimecap, et. al.:

Did PAC 12 cancel everything for the fall, and does this mean I should cancel my Las Vegas hotel because Oregon won't be playing??
Pale Rider
BaylorGrad&Dad said:

Slimecap, et. al.:

Did PAC 12 cancel everything for the fall, and does this mean I should cancel my Las Vegas hotel because Oregon won't be playing??

Same question for me, except I haven't made a hotel reservation. Might though.
slimecap
BaylorGrad&Dad said:

Slimecap, et. al.:

Here are excerpts from the 11 August 2020 article in the Oregonian
"The Pac-12s decision to postpone competition in all sports until 2021 likely wipes out marquee games for the Ducks men, who were due to host Michigan and Houston, face BYU at the Moda Center, Baylor in Las Vegas, and Iowa State and either Florida or Illinois in Niceville, Fla., and the Ducks women's neutral site games with Baylor and possibly South Carolina.

A trip to T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas to face Baylor was part of the Pac-12 Coast to Coast Challenge, which was also going to feature the Oregon women against Baylor. ...

All of those games are in flux, at best, or canceled at worst."

Link for entire article
https://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/2020/08/oregon-ducks-mens-basketballs-loaded-nonconference-schedule-likely-wiped-out-by-pac-12-postponing-sports-until-2021.html
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have not read an official change announcement from T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas
Twitter account
https://twitter.com/TMobileArena?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Link for Official 11 August 2020 statement from Pac-12 Conference
https://pac-12.com/article/2020/08/11/pac-12-conference-postpones-all-sport-competitions-through-end-calendar-year
BaylorGrad&Dad
Thanks, Slimecap, I'll keep watching for updates, and in the meantime I'll keep my hotel reservation.

R.
historian
Don't remember any details, but I seem to remember reading somewhere that because the Pac 12 cancelled football they will inevitably cancel all sports for the season. This may have been speculation but it makes sense and is a rational conclusion.
slimecap

#0 Chrislyn Carr and #34 Lexi Gordon

ENTERING TRANSFER PORTAL

"Chrislyn Carr and Lexi Gordon entered their names Saturday into the transfer portal, but are open to returning to play for the Texas Tech women's basketball program, a Texas Tech spokesman confirmed.

Carr and Gordon would be the top two returning scorers for the Lady Raiders, who finished last season with an overall record of 18-11 and 7-11 mark in Big 12 play. Carr netted 13.9 points and four rebounds per game ... Gordon averaged 13 points and 6.1 rebounds per contest."

Link for entire 15 Aug 2020 article
https://www.lubbockonline.com/sports/20200815/lady-raiders-hoopers-carr-gordon-place-names-in-transfer-portal
gone to Tickfaw
didn't we recruit Lexi Gordon? But she went to UCONN, never played, then transferred to Tech
DFW Bill
Carr not a good fit, Gordon would be a better fit, but not much room.
BearFan33
fujobear said:

didn't we recruit Lexi Gordon? But she went to UCONN, never played, then transferred to Tech
name sure sounds familiar
slimecap
fujobear said:

"Gordon is the No. 29 player in her class according to ESPN's HoopGurlz Recruiting Rankings and the No. 5 wing.

She picked UConn over Baylor, TCU, Texas and UCLA."

Link for entire 9 Nov 2016 Dallas Morning News article
https://www.dallasnews.com/high-school-sports/2016/11/09/women-s-basketball-signing-day-roundup-l-d-bell-s-lexi-gordon-emotional-after-signing-with-uconn-one-school-gets-first-division-i-recruit-ever/
slimecap

HEAD COACH SEARCH

slimecap

11 March 2019 Former Texas Tech player Krista Kirkland Gerlich named Sun Belt Conference Coach of the Year. Gerlich guided UTA to a 23-6, 15-3 record. The 23 wins are the second-most wins all-time and the 15 league wins are a program-best as a member of the Sun Belt.

HEAD COACH ANNOUNCED

"Krista Gerlich has returned.

After helping Texas Tech women's basketball team to a national championship in 1993, the former guard was named the Lady Raiders' coach Tuesday"

Link for entire 18 Aug 2020 article includes coaching biography
https://www.lubbockonline.com/sports/20200818/shersquos-coming-home-former-texas-tech-standout-gerlich-hired-as-lady-raidersrsquo-coach
slimecap

gold rewards
Appears TT made a good hire.
slimecap

NEW ASSISTANT COACH
Nitra Perry

West Virginia University head coach Mike Carey announced the addition of Nitra Perry as an assistant coach.

Resume
2004-06 Georgia Tech Recruiting Coordinator / Administrative Assistant
2006-08 Mississippi State Assistant Coach
2008-11 Toledo Assistant Coach
2011-12 Toledo Associate Head Coach
2012-16 Kennesaw State Head Coach
2017-18 Memphis Associate Head Coach
2018-20 Toledo Associate Head Coach

Link for 15 Aug 2020 press release
https://wvusports.com/news/2020/8/15/perry-joins-womens-basketball-staff.aspx
geewago
Some of these assistant coaches sure do move around a lot - like amateur car salesman.
Russell Gym
geewago said:

Some of these assistant coaches sure do move around a lot - like amateur car salesman.

Occupational hazard for coaches.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
geewago said:

Stability of staff is something you see at great programs, except for those that see an advancement from assistant to HC.
geewago
Brian Ethridge said:

geewago said:

Stability of staff is something you see at great programs, except for those that see an advancement from assistant to HC.
Eggzactly. UConn, Stanford, BU for example.
slimecap
slimecap said:

ENTERING TRANSFER PORTAL
15 Aug 2020

"Chrislyn Carr and Lexi Gordon entered their names Saturday into the transfer portal, but are open to returning to play for the Texas Tech women's basketball program, a Texas Tech spokesman confirmed.
EXITING TRANSFER PORTAL
20 Aug 2020

slimecap

TRANSFER OUT
Oklahoma State > Texas Tech

"Bryn Gerlich announced on Social Media tonight she will be transferring from Oklahoma State to Texas Tech to play for her mom, new Lady Raiders Head Coach Krista Gerlich.

Bryn wrote "God and his timing is a real thing!! If these pictures don't say it I will...I'm going to be a Lady Raider. I get to play for the woman who inspired me to pursue my dream in basketball in the gym SHE built while HER jersey is hanging in the rafters. My mom and I are literally getting to live out our dreams together. I mean if that isn't the coolest sentence ever."

- Pete Christy, KCBD, 20 Aug 2020
Pale Rider
Good for her.
DFW Bill
Krista Gerlich is known as a players coach. When attending the Dallas Wings games I always got there early and on several occasions the UTA Women's team was finishing practice. Coach Gerlich was always working with her players in a positive manner, the players often got a hug from their Coach, I was impressed. Lexi Gordon knows Gerlich and probably talked to Carr about her. I spoke with the mother of a UTA player at a Wings game and she told me Gerlich's players both respected and liked her, those two things don't always go together.

I hope she is successful at Texas Tech, it would be good for the Big 12.
historian
DFW Bill said:

I hope she is successful at Texas Tech, it would be good for the Big 12.
So long as Baylor beats them every time!
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
Dcheetah
This!
slimecap
slimecap said:

BIG 12 RECRUITING
2021 Chantae Embry

.. 5-11 forward Norman HS Norman OK
.. No. 57 prospect nationally & No. 10 at her position
.. 1000+ points
.. one-time Oklahoma State commit before reopening her recruitment
.. holds offers from Kansas, Kansas State, LSU, Texas A&M, TCU, Texas Tech, Tulsa, UTA and Wichita State.
UPDATE 20 Aug 2020
Verbal commit to Texas Tech

slimecap

NEW HEAD COACH SALARY
Aug 17, 2020

"New Texas women's basketball coach Vic Schaefer will get a seven-year, guaranteed contract worth $13.8 million when school regents vote to approve the deal later this week.

Schaefer's annual salary will start at $1.8 million and rise to $2.1 million by the final year. He gets $300,000 for moving expenses and a $200,000 payment at the end of the 2024-25 season. Regents posted the contract details ahead of its meetings Wednesday and Thursday."

- Associated Press
historian
Good news for the Horns. I'm OK with all that (they still have the $$), so long as Coach Mulkey continues the trend of Baylor beating them every time.
Florda_mike
Game on in Big 12!
slimecap

ANGELA TISDALE
2004-2008

"So proud of Angela Tisdale who graduated from Warrant Officer Candidate School for the U S Army."

- Baylor WBB twitter feed, 16 Aug 2020
historian
slimecap said:

ANGELA TISDALE
2004-2008

"So proud of Angela Tisdale who graduated from Warrant Officer Candidate School for the U S Army."

- Baylor WBB twitter feed, 16 Aug 2020
Awesome!!
jumpinjoe
Don't recognize the lapel pin... is she nurse, doctor, medic? Looks like she jumps out of planes.
Joined BaylorFans in 1999 under username jumpinjoe. Have always been Jumpinjoe. Proud 4 Year Baylor letterman and 1968 graduate and charter member of Quartermiler U, produced school record in 400 IH.
First Page Last Page
Page 82 of 159

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.